Martin Ødegaard - Next season

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If he's coming good, he won't go anywhere

Aloysius's Back 3

Is he playing as a RW or an Am?

Just asking because whilst it may seem lazy - I wouldn't be surprised if a Norwegian manager went for a Norwegian player if he thought that they were able to make the step up at a club like United.

So is he playing at RW or Am?

Handré1990

Just asking because whilst it may seem lazy - I wouldn't be surprised if a Norwegian manager went for a Norwegian player if he thought that they were able to make the step up at a club like United.

He has spoken of his «mistake» of bringing in too many former players at Cardiff. He absolutely won’t sign Ødegaard as a starter for a spot at United. Ødegaard won’t come as a project, which is the only conceiveable scenario at this time, he is already one at a club with higher status currently.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

RW. He plays sort of similar to what Mata does for us on the right. In a better way too in my opinion, but all their offensive play goes through him. He is very much the main man there at the moment so while he is doing good, at a bigger club he might not be afforded as many opportunities to affect the game as he is now. I think him being Norwegian might work against it this time around, as the post above me alludes to, but I actually think 20m for a player like this would represent good value as an additional signing to Sancho or something. He is a player who fits our requirements on that right side and would offer something different in terms of playmaking than say Lingard and Chong. Would be a decent replacement to Mata, imo.

lysglimt

Scout
He is too good for RM - better if he aims for clubs like Ajax :)

Red Stone

Ajax being a good team does not mean that the Eredivisie is a good league. Apart from PSV and Ajax the quality is pretty poor. Neymar moving to PSG wasn't weird because PSG are shit, because they're not. It was because a player like that is way too good to be playing in Ligue 1. Ødegaard is still young, so he has time to make his move to a big league in the future, but I think it would be a mistake to commit long-term to a team in a league that he's already very close to outgrowing.

Honestly, Real should give him a chance next season. They're at the start of a drastic rebuilding process and need their most talented youngsters to carry some of the load in order to reduce the need to spend heavily. Half their team is nearing retirement or showing signs of rapid decline at this point and it's going to be expensive if they want to return to the level they expect to be at.

quackattack

As far as I know he plays both, but as of late more in a RW (not sure though since I don't really watch that much Dutch football.)
He could be a bit of a successor to Mata if one could say such a thing. I suppose there was a reason Real saw some talent in him when they picked him up. But he is very hyped in Norwegian media, fits well in the Dutch league, not sure about the prem though.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
I think he would need a year at least to get used to PL, although it would be really good for him imo. It would toughen him up a bit. He is raw talent and has extreme technical qualities and vision. Also superb at set pieces. Maybe better suited to spanish football? Still needs to toughen up and get better at physical play. But he is still young and developing fast now. In one year he might have a pricetag to high for anyone and return to RM. If anyone wants to buy him it has to be now I guess.

Handré1990

I think he would need a year at least to get used to PL, although it would be really good for him imo. It would toughen him up a bit. He is raw talent and has extreme technical qualities and vision. Also superb at set pieces. Maybe better suited to spanish football? Still needs to toughen up and get better at physical play. But he is still young and developing fast now. In one year he might have a pricetag to high for anyone and return to RM. If anyone wants to buy him it has to be now I guess.
Good evaluation. I’d agree that he’s still very much a boy. He has a small frame and will fill out naturally over the next couple of years. I think he’s quite ‘tough’ though, been playing against men since he was 14(?). Strength will come naturally as his body fills out.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Handre, yes he started early playing against adults. He was 15yo and 117 days when he made his debut in the norwegian top series "Eliteserien" in 2014. He also scored his first goal there 1 month later. He impressed so much in short time that he made his debut in Norways national side in August 2014 and became the youngest player ever to play for Norways internationals. January 2015 he was signed by RM. If anyones interested, here's a video showing his highlights the first season, 2014 (Sorry for the link having to be copied, I am not yet approved for posting media links it seems :) : youtube.com/watch?v=BnrounkK3qY

Handré1990

Handre, yes he started early playing against adults. He was 15yo and 117 days when he made his debut in the norwegian top series "Eliteserien" in 2014. He also scored his first goal there 1 month later. He impressed so much in short time that he made his debut in Norways national side in August 2014 and became the youngest player ever to play for Norways internationals. January 2015 he was signed by RM. If anyones interested, here's a video showing his highlights the first season, 2014 (Sorry for the link having to be copied, I am not yet approved for posting media links it seems :) : youtube.com/watch?v=BnrounkK3qY
Yeah, I know mate! I’m T-town, like you I guess, considering your team?:D Kjernen?

Last edited:

SoulSurvivor

Supports
Ajax
He's definitely too good for Vitesse and arguably too good for the Eredivisie now. Going to Ajax would be a mistake. He needs a loan to a top half team in La Liga if he's not in Real's plans for next season. Wouldn't mind a mid-table Prem team taking a punt on him. Could prove to be a masterstroke at 20-25 million quid if he keeps improving. Still think he has it in him to play a key role for a CL contender in the future.
Too good for the Eredivisie hehe ? You think he would be a starter at Ajax right now ? Think again!

He was shit last season at Heerenveen. Played a few good games for Vitesse (against some lower league clubs). That's basically it.

Even Ajax fans don't rate him that high. But the Dutch media thinks he's the perfect replacement for Ziyech.

I think he has a lot of potential. He's an attractive and smart player to watch. But he still has a lot to learn.
Ajax would be perfect for his development.

2 good seasons at Ajax. And he can go to every club!

Last edited by a moderator:

Handré1990

Too good for the Eredivisie hehe ? You think he would be a starter at Ajax right now ? Think again!

He was shit last season at Heerenveen. Played a few good games for Vitesse (against some lower league clubs). That's basically it.

Even Ajax fans don't rate him that high. But the Dutch media thinks he's the perfect replacement for Ziyech.

I think he has a lot of potential. He's an attractive and smart player to watch. But he still has a lot to learn.

Agreed. Still all to prove. I believe he has massive potential though.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

The use of this rhetoric is to pick up girls out of ones league. Or more like a pimp mentality. Anyways, I agree he should play for Ajax in the CL etc next season.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/3270...-te-veel?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic

Ødegaard finds a transfer fee of 20 million too much

ARNHEM - Martin Ødegaard was again by far the best man at Vitesse. The midfielder had a tough afternoon in front of Ridgeciano Haps, but showed a lot of highs again, making him a gem to watch in Arnhem.

The Norwegian talent of Real Madrid is no longer quiet about the stories that Ajax wants to incorporate him in the summer. "I try not to pay attention to it. I have to play well and score goals. If I do, clubs will watch you and a decision will be made in the summer where I will play. Ajax is a good club, "says Ødegaard.

He knows what amount there is as a lump sum for Ajax to Real already circulates above the market: 20 million euros. "I think that's too much money. I do not think that I have to cost so much money. But my agent talks to the people in Madrid and I hear later what comes from that. "

The blond midfielder, who was overjoyed that his team came back on the same level shortly after halftime, hopes he can let Vitesse climb another place in the rankings. Ødegaard wants to pass AZ. Before that, his Feyenoord team had to win. That opportunity was there in the second half, although the home team was happy with a draw.

Ødegaard: "We have not lost in any case. And for me today was one of the nicest things that I could play football against Robin van Persie. Really an honor, because he has been a great player in Europe for so many years. "
Putting pressure on Real to lower the asking price?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Should have signed for them instead of Real Madrid. I remember him, Halilovic and Mastour being raved about four years ago. Mastour plays in Greece and Halilovic in Belgium (on loan but option to buy). Sounds like Odegaard is now doing well, but should have made that move earlier. Still, he's only 20, so a couple of good years at Ajax and who knows? Neres went to Ajax at 19/20, is now 22 and has got his first call-up for Brazil.

Tiber

Choosing to go to Madrid in the first place was utterly bonkers. If he really is the real deal and had signed for a sensible club, he might have earned a move to Madrid by now

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Should have signed for them instead of Real Madrid. I remember him, Halilovic and Mastour being raved about four years ago. Mastour plays in Greece and Halilovic in Belgium (on loan but option to buy). Sounds like Odegaard is now doing well, but should have made that move earlier. Still, he's only 20, so a couple of good years at Ajax and who knows? Neres went to Ajax at 19/20, is now 22 and has got his first call-up for Brazil.
Choosing to go to Madrid in the first place was utterly bonkers. If he really is the real deal and had signed for a sensible club, he might have earned a move to Madrid by now
Have to say I disagree. In hindsight Real was obviously not the best option for his development but he's still a Real player and that's a once in a lifetime opportunity. If he went to Ajax in the first place, he might have never gotten the chance to be at a club like Real and train with a legend like Ronaldo, for example. It's not like Real comes calling for every decent talent Ajax develops, i.e. Neres and De Jong right now (although Barca did for the latter).

If he's good enough, he'll still develop further and end up at the level he should be at, be that a top club in Europe or a level just below that. But the "if he went to Ajax in the first place he might've earned a move to Madrid by now" thing is simply not true imo, or best case you could argue that we'll never know how far along his develop he'd be right now.

It's so easy to stand on the sidelines and be like "oh he should've done this or that for the sensible move in his career" but when Real comes calling it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for a lot of players and very hard to turn down, especially if you also consider the monetary side of the deal. Easy to say what you'd do in that situation but a whole different kind of thing if it's really you that's involved.

Tiber

Have to say I disagree. In hindsight Real was obviously not the best option for his development but he's still a Real player and that's a once in a lifetime opportunity. If he went to Ajax in the first place, he might have never gotten the chance to be at a club like Real and train with a legend like Ronaldo, for example. It's not like Real comes calling for every decent talent Ajax develops, i.e. Neres and De Jong right now (although Barca did for the latter).

If he's good enough, he'll still develop further and end up at the level he should be at, be that a top club in Europe or a level just below that. But the "if he went to Ajax in the first place he might've earned a move to Madrid by now" thing is simply not true imo, or best case you could argue that we'll never know how far along his develop he'd be right now.

It's so easy to stand on the sidelines and be like "oh he should've done this or that for the sensible move in his career" but when Real comes calling it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for a lot of players and very hard to turn down, especially if you also consider the monetary side of the deal. Easy to say what you'd do in that situation but a whole different kind of thing if it's really you that's involved.

I don't think that hindsight was required to see that Madrid wouldn't give a young player a chance and that he would be farmed out to Castilla then a series of loan clubs.

Maybe if he signed for Ajax years ago he wouldn't be about to sign for Madrid. But the one thing I know for sure is that he didn't get to play for Madrid by signing for them.

lysglimt

Scout
If Real wants to send him on loan again - why not give them a call ?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It is best for him to join Ajax next season to replace DeJong. He needs regular game time to develop.

Hoof the ball

Ajax, despite their impressive record for youth development, would be a sideways move for him. Even the Vitesse coach stated that Odegaard needs tougher competition than what he's facing in Eredivisie. He's an immensely talented kid who's now showing some real consistency. At this point a loan to the Bundesliga or La Liga would be most preferable.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Lost his bearings when he had possession in the defensive third tonight, got dispossessed on a few occasions in dangerous positions. But he's a real threat when he has the ball in the opposition half. Decent delivery too considering it was his only set piece all game:

Grande

Way too easily dispossesed or pushed off the ball, though. For such an early prospect, he seems a real slow developper. He’s a fairly good player at 20, it will be interesting to see if he has a few more gears in him when it comes to the physical and mental side of it.