Martin Ødegaard - Next season

Red Stone

One of the filthiest megs I've ever seen. You just have to consider retirement if that happens to you.

hocane

Most overrated player i have seen since Adu.

20 years old and still plays in a pub league, don't want him anywhere near Man Utd.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Pub league? Show some respect for the dutch league. It is better than you think. 20 years old, taking the correct steps and playing very, very well this season, goals and assists and motm 8 times, international breakthrough with his national team and of course, to late, he is already 20 now so retirement is near, eh? Like Modric right? Should have retired back then he as well then I guess.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

20 years old and still plays in a pub league, don't want him anywhere near Man Utd.
Suarez and Sneijder until 23.
Alderweireld until 24.
Van Nistelrooij and Vertonghen until 25.
Stam until 26.

Look at all these average players playing in this pub league until their mid 20s.

Schneckerl

To be fair, performing well in a league of Eredivise quality is already more than Adu ever accomplished in his career.

Last edited:

Hoof the ball

There's a certain expectation from fans these days that prodigy's must follow the Mbappe curve if they're deemed to be successful. Certain types of players can perform at high levels at very young ages due to a prominence in physicality coupled with technical abilities. It leads to the false view that if any young player isn't absolute class by 20 then it's likely that they never will be. The reality is that certain types of players simply come into their own on a completely different development curve. Creative types who are non-explosive usually mature much later than the physically more advantageous types. Odegaard needs time.

Red Stone

Ruud van Nistelrooy was 25 when he signed for United, aft
Suarez and Sneijder until 23.
Alderweireld until 24.
Van Nistelrooij and Vertonghen until 25.
Stam until 26.

Look at all these average players playing in this pub league until their mid 20s.
Bergkamp - 24
Wijnaldum - 25
Ibra - Almost 23
Mertens - 26

Ødegaard is doing fine. The fact that he's playing well enough for Ajax to be a sideways move at just 20 is very promising. He's the type of player that really shines when he plays with good attackers, so there's a very real possibility that he'll light it up if he gets some games at Real next season.

edbe

Supports
Ajax

Pretty awkward post, pub leaque ?

After La Liga, which is the best leaque by far in the world, the EPL, the Bundesliga and the Serie A it's one the best leaque's in the world.

Ajax is in the QF of the CL on merit, United is in the QF of the CL thanks to more than considerable luck. Ajax is currently better than United and by some margin. Playing style, technical ability, individual quality, average age etc.

United does not have any form of player development, buying, buying and buying. Youth development is all down to invidual managers, sentiment and coincidence. No policy whatsoever.

Ajax is nothing but player development.

Vitesse -> Ajax is obviously not a sidestep. Besides a player like Odegaard or any talented young player for that matter, should never go to Real, Barcelona, City, Chelsea, United etc. Never, unless they favour short term financial gain.

They'll never get the experience they would get at Ajax. Those clubs just don't have the focus and commercial interest in bringing and developing young players. They buy there first 15 to 20 players.

Watching Odegaard in the Dutch leaque these past 1 1/2 seasons he's far from a finished product.

Players like for instance Sneijder, Van der Vaart, and I'm sorry but also Depay (surprise) were much more consistent when they left. Odegaard just has his moments in which he shows his potential. He lost a few years at Real 2.

For next year he should consider himself more than lucky if Ajax is wiling to take him in. Otherwise a sidestep to Leverkussen, Betis or Everton might make or brake his career (even more).

Reactions: Ødegaard

Dve

I´ve been watching Ødegaard quite a bit this season, and you can also see summaries of all his matches on youtube (all his involvements in games), and I must say I´ve been really impressed by him lately. In one game he had nothing less than 100% completed passes. More of anything, he has taken steps defensively, and he has added a lot of energy to his game. In his teen-ages, Ødegaard was very careful about putting on to much muscles as he was still growing, and that´s the one thing he may be lacking now, but that´s the easiest thing to fix. I will not leave out the possibility that he´ll actually be part of Madrid´s squad next season.

This is his ratings (whoscored) the last 8 matches:

In these games, he had 3 goals and 4 assists, which is pretty decent for a midfielder.

I don´t think Ole will bring any Norwegian players to United, however. He signed 3 Norwegian players while he was at Cardiff, and only one of them made any impression (M.M Dæhli).

There is one Norwegian players worth having a look at, though: Celtic´s Kristoffer Ajer (20). He´s a beast of a defender with good technics (used to be a midfielder). The Celtic fans believe he´ll become their new van Dijk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dargonk

Member 93275

Good player, it will be interesting to see how he will develop even further. He has completed the Vitesse level and is now too good to stay, and is ready for a next step, up.

Dve

After La Liga, which is the best leaque by far in the world, the EPL, the Bundesliga and the Serie A it's one the best leaque's in the world.

Ajax is in the QF of the CL on merit, United is in the QF of the CL thanks to more than considerable luck. Ajax is currently better than United and by some margin. Playing style, technical ability, individual quality, average age etc.

United does not have any form of player development, buying, buying and buying. Youth development is all down to invidual managers, sentiment and coincidence. No policy whatsoever.

Vitesse -> Ajax is obviously not a sidestep. Besides a player like Odegaard or any talented young player for that matter, should never go to Real, Barcelona, City, Chelsea, United etc. Never, unless they favour short term financial gain.

They'll never get the experience they would get at Ajax. Those clubs just don't have the focus and commercial interest in bringing and developing young players. They buy there first 15 to 20 players.

Watching Odegaard in the Dutch leaque these past 1 1/2 seasons he's far from a finished product.

Players like for instance Sneijder, Van der Vaart, and I'm sorry but also Depay (surprise) were much more consistent when they left. Odegaard just has his moments in which he shows his potential. He lost a few years at Real 2.

For next year he should consider himself more than lucky if Ajax is wiling to take him in. Otherwise a sidestep to Leverkussen, Betis or Everton might make or brake his career (even more).
I disagree it´s just moments. He´s pretty consistent, you will see, if you look up his involvements on youtube. And I also disagree that the LaLiga is the best league in the world. It´s easier for a player to get into a LaLiga team than a PL team.

And by the way. Ajex is not better than United.

Eriku

I´ve been watching Ødegaard quite a bit this season, and you can also see summaries of all his matches on youtube (all his involvements in games), and I must say I´ve been really impressed by him lately. In one game he had nothing less than 100% completed passes. More of anything, he has taken huge steps defensively, and he has added a lot of energy to his game. In his teen-ages, Ødegaard was very careful about putting on to much muscles as he was still growing, and that´s the one thing he may be lacking now, but that´s the easiest thing to fix. I will not leave out the possibility that he´ll actually be part of Madrid´s squad next season.

This is his ratings (whoscored) the last 8 matches:

In these games, he had 3 goals and 4 assists, which is pretty decent for a midfielder.

I don´t think Ole will bring any Norwegian players to United, however. He signed 3 Norwegian players while he was at Cardiff, and only one of them made any impression (M.M Dæhli).

There is one Norwegian players worth having a look at, though: Celtic´s Kristoffer Ajer (20). He´s a beast of a defender with good technics (used to be midfielder and). The Celtic fans believe he´s become their new van Dijk.
Sander Berge?

Njord

Sander Berge?
I think he has all the tools to become a top class midfielder. The important thing for him now is to find his identity on the pitch. He seems a bit to eager to do everything. I heard him talking about adding goals and assists to his game, but I think that is the wrong focus for him. For me, his best position is the same as Fernandinho has at City. To go there and be an understudy for him and learning from Pep would be a fantastic move for him, and I think he could be up for the task. But he needs to focus on using his physique better, improving his passing, and perfect his reading and postioning.

Red Stone

What?!

Shaw, Jones and Dalot were all teenagers when they were signed. Rashford and Lingard are mainstays in the team and McTominay, Gomes, Greenwood, Garner and Chong have all played a part in the last few games. All of them are academy products.

Ridiculous to suggest United doesn't develop players. Our 75+ year streak of always playing with academy graduates is a testament to that.

Oh, and Ajax being a good team doesn't change the fact that Ødegaard is quickly outgrowing the Eredivisie and should look to move to a more challenging league. The same can be said about pretty much the whole PSG squad, but Neymar and Mbappé in particular. One good team does not a good league make.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Ajax would be a really good move for Odegaard.

Not only because of their history of developing players but mainly because he would be playing at a club with higher expectations and also Champions league football.

Wallez

Martin Ødegaard is still a very interesting prospect, but he is not what United need, and United is not what he needs. Let him develop in a ball-playing team where he gets game time, for example Real Betis, Ajax or Leipzig, and he will be brilliant in a few years.

There is one Norwegian players worth having a look at, though: Celtic´s Kristoffer Ajer (20). He´s a beast of a defender with good technics (used to be a midfielder). The Celtic fans believe he´ll become their new van Dijk.
I would totally disagree on Ajer, as he just isn't mobile enough to make it at the top level. Turns like an oil tanker and has the acceleration of a cup of tea. Nothing similar to Van Dijk in terms of athleticism, which is a main part of Van Dijk's game. Ajer is good with the ball in his feet, solid in the air and has fantastic mentality, but I cannot see him making it at the top level.

Andersonson

I've seen Ødegaard many times this season, and I see the same every game, he's to "junior" yet. There's no doubt quality there, but he needs to be a senior player soon.
He is also very weak and With the lack of pace he's got, im not sure he'll ever be a premier League type of player.

But, there's no questioning the talent.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I completely respect the Ajax model and it’s history of producing top class players but you’re completely wrong to dismiss United as a buying club only. United probably have the best record in the PL for developing young players through to the first team squad

deadrevelz

:lol: Did you make an account just to respond to that poster? Ajax develops players because it can't afford to buy big players and no-one wants to play for them. No other reason.

Fosu-Mens

Martin Ødegaard is still a very interesting prospect, but he is not what United need, and United is not what he needs. Let him develop in a ball-playing team where he gets game time, for example Real Betis, Ajax or Leipzig, and he will be brilliant in a few years.

I would totally disagree on Ajer, as he just isn't mobile enough to make it at the top level. Turns like an oil tanker and has the acceleration of a cup of tea. Nothing similar to Van Dijk in terms of athleticism, which is a main part of Van Dijk's game. Ajer is good with the ball in his feet, solid in the air and has fantastic mentality, but I cannot see him making it at the top level.
Agree on both players. As long as Ødegaard plays for a possessionbased team next season he will improve.

Ajer: True. Will struggle in 1v1 against quick/agile players.

Dve

I´m pretty sure you will be proven wrong about Ajer. He is 196 cm and strong as hell, but naturally he doesn´t have Messi´s acceleration - like most players of Ajer´s size. He is quite rapid, though, with the aggression of Jones, with Lindeløf´s passing skills and Smalling´s ability to clear the box (in the air). Van Dijk is perhaps among the top 3 defenders in the world, so of course it´s not said that Ajer will reach THAT level, but with all his attributes, I cannot possible see why he would not become a top class CD. At age of 20, he´s already Celtic´s first choice in that position - picked before a player like Boyata, who plays for the Belgium national team. Ajer is also a natural leader (he was actually captaining his Norwegian side, Start, at the age of 16) and a guy you definitely would bring to a battle. It will be interesting to see if he´s still a Celtic player after this summer.

Wallez

@Dve I see your points, but for me he is too bulky to become an elite defender. He will probably have a fine career, but I can't see him becoming good enough to be a starting CB for us. His top speed is solid, but he struggles once the ball is passed quickly around him. We need a partner to Lindelöf next season, and I think we need a more athletic player, someone like Smalling but with an actual brain and hints of technical abilities. Boyata is a piece of deadwood from City, not a benchmark of being good enough for Manchester United. IK Start is more than a circus than a football club, and being captain and their best player in all positions at the age of 16 says more about the club than Ajer himself.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Doing well atm. Superb goal yesterday although dubios defending from PSV. Also assist really with the corner on 3-3. I do not think Odegaard would fit premier league though. Not yet. Got to improve physical anf get stronger + still needs to work on the defensive part. On the offensive though.. what a player he is becoming. His stats should keep improving if he get's onto a better team with better forwards. Will be very interesting to see where he ends up

Dve

Doing well atm. Superb goal yesterday although dubios defending from PSV. Also assist really with the corner on 3-3. I do not think Odegaard would fit premier league though. Not yet. Got to improve physical anf get stronger + still needs to work on the defensive part. On the offensive though.. what a player he is becoming. His stats should keep improving if he get's onto a better team with better forwards. Will be very interesting to see where he ends up
Agree with that. A few pounds of muscles is what he needs to become a PL player. There is nothing wrong with his work rate defensively, and he´s a smart player that makes a lot of interceptions, but he´s still a bit weak on tackles. His development in that respect, is promising, though.

lysglimt

Scout
I´m pretty sure you will be proven wrong about Ajer. He is 196 cm and strong as hell, but naturally he doesn´t have Messi´s acceleration - like most players of Ajer´s size. He is quite rapid, though, with the aggression of Jones, with Lindeløf´s passing skills and Smalling´s ability to clear the box (in the air). Van Dijk is perhaps among the top 3 defenders in the world, so of course it´s not said that Ajer will reach THAT level, but with all his attributes, I cannot possible see why he would not become a top class CD. At age of 20, he´s already Celtic´s first choice in that position - picked before a player like Boyata, who plays for the Belgium national team. Ajer is also a natural leader (he was actually captaining his Norwegian side, Start, at the age of 16) and a guy you definitely would bring to a battle. It will be interesting to see if he´s still a Celtic player after this summer.
Agree - once Ajer learns to use his muscles he will be one hell of a defender. Still a bit too soft in the duels - but what a talent.

Hoof the ball

I've seen Ødegaard many times this season, and I see the same every game, he's to "junior" yet. There's no doubt quality there, but he needs to be a senior player soon.
He is also very weak and With the lack of pace he's got, im not sure he'll ever be a premier League type of player.

But, there's no questioning the talent.
I'm not convinced that's a prerequisite. If we're talking about the Premier League in the 90's, maybe, but it's not the break-neck speed game that it once was. You could have pointed out the marked lack of pace with Bernardo Silva, David Silva, even Kevin De Bruyne, yet they are very much Premier League players, and dominant ones at that.

The one point I'll concede is the physical strength issue, which in reality is not a major deal and can be rectified with an off-season strength and conditioning programme.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
If Ødegaard goes to Ajax he will be Sold for 60M in 2 years. He has the talent he just needs the right club and he would fit in at Ajax like a glove.

Classical Mechanic

Tadic’s 30 goals and assists is a big red flag there. Obviously some will make it in bigger leagues but the Erdivisie is notorious for throwing up some crazy numbers for players that flop big time when they step up. Jahanbakhsh being the latest.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Tadic’s 30 goals and assists is a big red flag there. Obviously some will make it in bigger leagues but the Erdivisie is notorious for throwing up some crazy numbers for players that flop big time when they step up. Jahanbakhsh being the latest.
Well ya like I said yesterday I believe there really is no defense in that league. Easy for attacking players to inflate their stats. There are exceptions obviously but still.