Martin Ødegaard - Next season

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
One of the two good ones is already gone to barcelona and the other is about to follow :(
It's hard for me to get excited with CB signings. Maybe because I see him already in Barcelona.
In any case, I really like Van de Beek.
Surprised that there is no more news about him

Dve

I'm a fan of him but saying that he was 'used' is just nonsense. The whole world knew exactly what he was getting into when he moved there.
And especially he did himself. Going to Real Madrid was no rushed decision and they had the best facilities. If Ødegaard turns into top player, nobody can criticise him for the choices he ´s made.

edbe

Supports
Ajax
And especially he did himself. Going to Real Madrid was no rushed decision and they had the best facilities. If Ødegaard turns into top player, nobody can criticise him for the choices he ´s made.
The best facilities ?, no rushed decision ?, top teams in the top leaques never have the best facilaties and mentality to develop youth. They buy players. All about the $$$$$$$

He lost at least two years by thinking he could be part of Real 1 at the age of 16.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The best facilities ?, no rushed decision ?, top teams in the top leaques never have the best facilaties and mentality to develop youth. They buy players. All about the $$$$$$$

He lost at least two years by thinking he could be part of Real 1 at the age of 16.
Heh, don't know about that. He spent two years training with the real madrid first team while playing professional football in spain(with castilla), and the club was fully invested in his development. I agree the Ajax academy might have done a better job, but seriously, lost 2 years? Come on

Handré1990

Heh, don't know about that. He spent two years training with the real madrid first team while playing professional football in spain(with castilla), and the club was fully invested in his development. I agree the Ajax academy might have done a better job, but seriously, lost 2 years? Come on
There’s no middle ground is there? :lol: Lost two years:wenger: With his mentality I think he might just have gotten a whiff of what it might take to get to the top, training with Modric, Ronaldo etc.

For sure he would have come further at Ajax, but it’s never as straight forward as people suggest.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Probably good enough in a few years for a mid table PL club, maybe.
Not sure. I think he certainly is more talented than Dele Alli and he already plays for a top 6 club. PL is not all about technique and creativity as we see with Pogba so he might not even get picked up by teams in the PL, but if he do it'll most likely be a top club that is interested.

Kaglish10

Odegaard looks like someone who loves the money though, so I don't think he cares. I doubt if he would be ready to let go the wages he's paid by Madrid. He would probably prefers the loan options until his contract eventually runs out.

Whatever with December footballers and their love for money and their egoistic character? Martial, Lingard, Mbappe, Sanchez, Odegaard, Maddison etc. Only Mbappe, Odegaard, Maddison seem a bit better probably because they haven't down tool nor are as average as the others have become but they all like money and have high opinion of themselves. Didn't the young Mbappe ask for a private jet to go with his enormous wage at PSG? or Maddison who was annoyed at the fans who didn't know he was the highest earner at Norwich city? Maybe we should start checking their birthday month before signing them. (Pun intended)

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Probably good enough in a few years for a mid table PL club, maybe.
It is written in the script. He will join Ajax, then move to Barca. Iniesta and Messi are not that strong so it is a myth you need to be physically strong to be successful as a footballer. You need a fast brain to be able to play for Barca.

Robbie Boy

It is written in the script. He will join Ajax, then move to Barca. Iniesta and Messi are not that strong so it is a myth you need to be physically strong to be successful as a footballer. You need a fast brain to be able to play for Barca.
It would be hilarious if Real flog him off - without giving him a chance - and he joins Barca in the future as a superstar.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm not sure if it has been posted but here is his performance against Ajax. I really like watching him and he seemed to up his tempo a bit in this big game. Really good performance from him. I think he would fit in perfectly at Barcelona. One of those gems we should be interested in getting before they become superstars.

Eriku

So funny seeing people who know feck all claim Ødegaard did it for the money. He was very explicit; he wanted to train with and learn from the best, knew he would probably not get many if any minutes in the first team, and stuck with Castilla because they were hoping to get into Segunda. His development has been fine, he’s very driven and exceptionally grounded, and those who called him flops have been shown to be wrong as Ajax want him and Real want to retain ownership.

This because of a season where he’s taken strides and learned how to impose himself on matches, as well as showing feats of technique. I expect him to get chances in pre-season, and possibly get retained in the squad. If not, a season in a stronger league (or with a team that plays CL), and I reckon he’ll be looking ready for Real’s squad.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So funny seeing people who know feck all claim Ødegaard did it for the money. He was very explicit; he wanted to train with and learn from the best, knew he would probably not get many if any minutes in the first team, and stuck with Castilla because they were hoping to get into Segunda. His development has been fine, he’s very driven and exceptionally grounded, and those who called him flops have been shown to be wrong as Ajax want him and Real want to retain ownership.

This because of a season where he’s taken strides and learned how to impose himself on matches, as well as showing feats of technique. I expect him to get chances in pre-season, and possibly get retained in the squad. If not, a season in a stronger league (or with a team that plays CL), and I reckon he’ll be looking ready for Real’s squad.
That is the plan, yes. If he impresses Zidane in pre-season he'll stay and get minutes next season, like Asensio in 16/17

Kaglish10

Other young players who went to Ajax, Dortmund to develop their games didn't learn anything? Where is he now? Off on a loan to a small club. It's even ridiculous for him to have thought real Madrid would start him in their worldclass team. He simply did it for the money. No one can tell me otherwise.

Eriku

That is the plan, yes. If he impresses Zidane in pre-season he'll stay and get minutes next season, like Asensio in 16/17
Not a bad option for you guys. He’s comfortable in several positions, and I reckon he’ll thrive with better team mates around him. Definitely needed this season to learn how to assert himself on the pitch, though.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Other young players who went to Ajax, Dortmund to develop their games didn't learn anything? Where is he now? Off on a loan to a small club. It's even ridiculous for him to have thought real Madrid would start him in their worldclass team. He simply did it for the money. No one can tell me otherwise.
Where is Dortmund's similar signing in Isak? On loan at a mid-table Eredevisie side. So what is the difference?

No one can tell you otherwise because you're a deluded idiot who ignores actual facts. We all know we can ignore your posts for now on.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not a bad option for you guys. He’s comfortable in several positions, and I reckon he’ll thrive with better team mates around him. Definitely needed this season to learn how to assert himself on the pitch, though.
Going forward for us i think we'll need him to develop into an energetic #10. In the mould of Eriksen/De Bruyne so to speak. With at least Hazard, Vinicius, Asensio, Rodrygo and Brahim, breaking through as a forward won't be easy. Plus, Zidane wants pace in the forward line

Kaglish10

Where is Dortmund's similar signing in Isak? On loan at a mid-table Eredevisie side. So what is the difference?
Isak was at least given a chance to impress at Dortmund but was found to be weak. I'm sure Dortmund are already preparing Isak for a bigger role next season after seeing his performance in the Dutch league but has Madrid changed their opinion on Odegaard yet? He looked solid in the Dutch league last season also but no one cares at Madrid. They are all about bringing in more big names like Eriksen, Pogba, Hazard, Mbappe etc.

Hoof the ball

One thing not often brought up about him, technical qualities aside, is how often he shows for the ball. He's constantly showing for it all over the field. Absolutely fearless. Not scared of having the ball in tight spaces in the slightest.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
One thing not often brought up about him, technical qualities aside, is how often he shows for the ball. He's constantly showing for it all over the field. Absolutely fearless. Not scared of having the ball in tight spaces in the slightest.
He would be the perfect replacement for David Silva. Needs to be used in the same way.

Eriku

Other young players who went to Ajax, Dortmund to developed their games didn't learn from the best? Where is he now? Off on a loan to a small club. It's even ridiculous for him to have thought real Madrid would start him in their worldclass team. He simply did it for the money. No one can tell me otherwise.
I wouldn’t have thought it a bad choice for Martin to go to BVB or Ajax, but no, they’re not THE BEST.

And again, you talk as if he expected to play for the first team. I already told you, he definitely didn't:

– Er du god nok for en plass i Real Madrid?
Are you good enough for a spot in Real Madrid?

– Real Madrid har jo både et A- og B-lag. Om jeg er god nok for førstelaget ... Det vil jeg ikke spekulere i
Real Madrid has both an A and B team. Whether I'm good enough for the first team... I wouldn't want to speculate
– Liker du modellen i Real Madrid?
Do you like the set-up at Madrid?

– Ja. Og det finnes mange interessante alternativer der ute. Både når det kommer til første- og andrelag.
Yes, and there are many good options there. Both with regards to the first team and the second team

– Så du må ikke spille førstelagsfotball for enhver pris neste år?
So you don't have to play first team football at any cost next year?

– Det handler om å finne et nivå som passer meg. Utviklingsarenaen er det viktigste nå. Helt hvor og hva det er, det vet vi ikke ennå
It's about finding a level that suits me. My arena for developing is the most important right now. Exactly where that is we don't know yet
https://www.tv2.no/a/6262280

Before he signed, so it wasn't as if he'd just been smacked in the face with the reality of how tough life is at Real. He knew before he even knew that he would go to them that it would likely mean no first team football.

So how about we stop throwing around made up truths, ok? Some people on here happen to be obsessive Norwegians, and our press has covered him a ridiculous amount.

Kaglish10

I wouldn’t have thought it a bad choice for Martin to go to BVB or Ajax, but no, they’re not THE BEST.

And again, you talk as if he expected to play for the first team. I already told you, he definitely didn't:

https://www.tv2.no/a/6262280

Before he signed, so it wasn't as if he'd just been smacked in the face with the reality of how tough life is at Real. He knew before he even knew that he would go to them that it would likely mean no first team football.

So how about we stop throwing around made up truths, ok? Some people on here happen to be obsessive Norwegians, and our press has covered him a ridiculous amount.
How has this changed the fact that he went to Madrid for the money? Would he have been put on such wage at any other club? Is he not playing for a lesser club than the clubs he claimed to be not good enough for his development?

Eriku

How has this changed the fact that he went to Madrid for money? Would he have had the wage he's on at any other club? Is he not playing for a lesser club than the clubs he claimed to be not good enough for his development?
The fact that he went to Madrid for the money? Find a source for it. Or is it the same sort of fact like the one about him expecting first team football?

Also, him deciding that he wanted to learn at an academy that has seen a ton of top players emerge, while getting a chance to practice with Modric, Ronaldo, Bale, Isco, etc., is not the same as saying the other clubs wouldn’t be good enough for him to develop in. You’re assuming far too much about what you can infer.

Kaglish10

The fact that he went to Madrid for the money? Find a source for it. Or is it the same sort of fact like the one about him expecting first team football?

And again, deciding that he wanted to learn at an academy that has seen a ton of top players emerge, while getting a chance to practice with Modric, Ronaldo, Bale, Isco, etc., is not the same as saying the other clubs wouldn’t be good enough for him to develop in. You’re assuming far too much about what you can infer.
I recall Neymar who was a well sought out kid preferring to stay back at Santos till he's fullly ready for a move.

I ask again, if he's training with these world-class players at Madrid now?

A player doesn't develop by training with world-class players but by regularly playing against top opposition and also having a good coach who's got full confidence in him. It's not like Odegaard was a player who didn't already have the basic. All he needs is the experience to refine his game and helps him becomes clever against physically imposing opponent. You can't develop that by just looking at players in training and playing with kids.

Eriku

I recall Neymar who was a well sought out kid preferring to stay back at Santos till he's fullly ready for a move.

I ask again, if he's training with these world-class players at Madrid now?

A player doesn't develop by training with world-class players but by regularly playing against top opposition and also having a good coach who's got full confidence in him. It's not like Odegaard was a player who didn't already have the basic. All he needs is the experience to refine his game and helps him becomes clever against physically imposing opponent. You can't develop that by just looking at players in training and playing with kids.
He’s 20 years old, he’s the youngest player to play for Real, and he is now pushing himself into contention for next season. Yeah, he’s really fecked up his development.

Kaglish10

He’s 20 years old, he’s the youngest player to play for Real, and he is now pushing himself into contention for next season. Yeah, he’s really fecked up his development.
Contention for next season? Don't make me laugh. He could have been consistently playing for a CL/Europa League team, and that would have given him much better experience than the Dutch league.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Odegaard never flopped at RM. He never got the chance. He had ONE match there. They admitted he was signed as a PR stunt. What do you think that makes Odegaard feel? He was used and he was 15 yo and one of the greatest talents in the world. Remember he scored goals in the norwegian top series and played for the national team of Norway at 15.. then Zidane did not like being given this boy.

Odegaard is a down to earth very very nice person. No bullshit no bragging, no ego. He works hard every day. He is no primadonna. He knows that he can only succeed by hard work. THAT and his talent and trajectory of performance is what makes me believe. In Heerenveen he was injured twice. Now no injuries and plays very very well (except 1st half against Ajax of course where his coach had a defensive approach to the game and against a much better Ajax team.
Watch this instead (if you have not seen it before) :
And yes, he is not yet worth 20 mill. No one is when just recently turning 20 imo. But that is football! I do believe he would fit in at Ajax even though I highly admire your model and understand the point of homegrown first. However, sometimes one must buy to keep a certain level and I do think he can help with that. In 2 years he can play no 10.
To be fair (and I agree with all your points) Odegaard was stupid and so were his parents for going to Madrid. Anyone with half a brain knew he would never play there. At this moment he could of been snagged up by Ajax or another developing club and his level would be higher then it is now.

With that being said the kid has some real talent and quality and if Ajax get there hands on him he will be worth double what he is worth now and will become a absolute star at Ajax. He has the ability for it.

Fosu-Mens

Would certainly fit in at Ajax.

Not a good fit for a team not wanting to dominate possession, and based on how RM and Zidane prefers to play he should look elsewhere for a club if his developement continues over the next 1/2 seasons. Like Barcelona and City.

Dve

Despite of Ajax reaching the CL final, Ødegaard named player of the month in the Netherlands. And enforced rumours about him going to Ajax - reportedly for around 20k.

Would be a good move for him.

Dve

Odegaard never flopped at RM. He never got the chance. He had ONE match there. They admitted he was signed as a PR stunt. What do you think that makes Odegaard feel? He was used and he was 15 yo and one of the greatest talents in the world. Remember he scored goals in the norwegian top series and played for the national team of Norway at 15.. then Zidane did not like being given this boy.

Odegaard is a down to earth very very nice person. No bullshit no bragging, no ego. He works hard every day. He is no primadonna. He knows that he can only succeed by hard work. THAT and his talent and trajectory of performance is what makes me believe. In Heerenveen he was injured twice. Now no injuries and plays very very well (except 1st half against Ajax of course where his coach had a defensive approach to the game and against a much better Ajax team.
Watch this instead (if you have not seen it before) :
And yes, he is not yet worth 20 mill. No one is when just recently turning 20 imo. But that is football! I do believe he would fit in at Ajax even though I highly admire your model and understand the point of homegrown first. However, sometimes one must buy to keep a certain level and I do think he can help with that. In 2 years he can play no 10.
This season, he has created more chances and has more successful dribbles than any other player in the Eresdivision, and he´s just 20 years old. I think he´s easily worth 20.

Have Real Madrid really admitted they signed him just as a PR stunt? I find that hard to believe. Firstly, when you sign the best 15 years old in the world, how can that just be a PR stunt for a club like RM. And besides, would they really admit it if it was true? Please let me know your sources for this claim.

What makes Ødegaard a bit special, is his focus on long term development. 15, or 16 years old, there is not much hope to play for any decent club in Europe. Instead, he got to train under Zidane (Castilla), with all the facilities that RM has to offer. For a 15 years old, this might not be such a stupid idea.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Has he renew his contract with Real Madrid yet? If he doesn't this summer then he is a goner.

Eriku

This season, he has created more chances and has more successful dribbles than any other player in the Eresdivision, and he´s just 20 years old. I think he´s easily worth 20.

Have Real Madrid really admitted they signed him just as a PR stunt? I find that hard to believe. Firstly, when you sign the best 15 years old in the world, how can that just be a PR stunt for a club like RM. And besides, would they really admit it if it was true? Please let me know your sources for this claim.

What makes Ødegaard a bit special, is his focus on long term development. 15, or 16 years old, there is not much hope to play for any decent club in Europe. Instead, he got to train under Zidane (Castilla), with all the facilities that RM has to offer. For a 15 years old, this might not be such a stupid idea.
He’s probably referring to Ancelotti calling it a PR stunt that they forced his hand in granting him minutes in his first season against Getafe.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
He was today named player of the month in the Eredivisie in Holland. Many news sites reports that Ajax wants him to buy him for 20 million euros with a buy back clause til 2021, while Madrid wants to loan him out. His contract w/RM expires in the summer of 2021.