Martin Ødegaard - Next season

Borden

That 50k could be the highest he will get in his career if he doesn't progress beyond Real's reserves. Anyway, hope that's not the case since it's still early days for him.
Well, but the thing is that if he doesn't make it big he will still have made a fortune from this contract and be settled for life. There are no guarantees in football, so can't blame him too much for taking the money, even if it perhaps wasn't the smartest choice from a footballing perspective.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Why are people panicking?

He has played 45 games for Real B team. This is excellent going for a kid who won't be 18 till December.
Absolutely. At 17, Messi was playing for Barca B. Odegaard's not spending his weekends as a benchwarmer or playing for a kids team. Odegaard is young, and looks young when you see him play, even at Castilla level. He's not even old enough for Real Madrid to loan out without strict provisions about his education etc (because he's under 18) and FIFA approval

ti vu

Absolutely. At 17, Messi was playing for Barca B. Odegaard's not spending his weekends as a benchwarmer or playing for a kids team. Odegaard is young, and looks young when you see him play, even at Castilla level. He's not even old enough for Real Madrid to loan out without strict provisions about his education etc (because he's under 18) and FIFA approval
Difference is Messi was doing well and emerged in the culture of his club and Barcelona B team. Odegaard didn't do as well compared to the hype and the clause got him in a weird situation. He neither emerged in Castilla or first team culture (train with first team, play with youth team). Distant himself from youth team while also inferior to real first teamers. Sounds like Anelka Real Madrid version 2 with Odegaard is even less proven than Anelka.

Last edited:

Drainy

Messi was playing in the Barca first team at 17 and likely would have been playing earlier if it wasn't for the rules around non-EU players within a squad

Amir

Not shocking at all. Isn't it well known managers at Real Madrid have little to no say in transfer for most part? And Perez can mess with team management and team selection in some cases?/QUOTE]

I was using the word 'Shocking' in a sarcastic way... Oh well!

ti vu

My sarcastic detector ran out of battery... Oh well...

AnOutOfTowner

What a stupid move by this kid and his dad. He should have went to other teams where his could have developed his game much better than at real. Then later in his career, if things turned out well, moved to them.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
What a stupid move by this kid and his dad. He should have went to other teams where his could have developed his game much better than at real. Then later in his career, if things turned out well, moved to them.
Why Madrid academy is not good for his development? to which team should have gone?

red4ever 79

He still has all the time in the world. He is not older than 18 yet. He will have been learning from great technical coaches, playing at a level that can develop his game, benefiting from being at one of the biggest clubs in the world. Ok this might not be 'his' level. However, I fully expect the boy to develop and maintain a successful time in football

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
You don't sleep with the devil and still wonder why you keep waking up in hell buddy. He is stuck there for a good long time. But 50k pw is pretty darn good. Im sure he is not "sufffering" per se.. he knows his moment will come. Soon or later.

Varun

Staff
Not sure why it's a very bad situation. Isn't he training with the senior team fill time and just playing with the B team? He's also earning a shit tonne of money. Yes, he isn't getting 1st team football but that will be resolved once he goes on loan. The year of training with top quality players will hold him in great stead going forward.

Rafateria

Have no sympathy for him. It was inevitable as soon as he signed for Madrid.

I still hope some sense prevail in his plonker of a dad and they move away from that shithole of a club.
Indeed. It really is his father's fault. Money, money, money. Probably thought it best to bank it now rather than gamble that his son really will turn out to be the player people are hyping him up to be.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
Why Madrid academy is not good for his development? to which team should have gone?
just to name a few:

Anderlecht
Gladbach
Dortmund
Schalke

there are a lot teams which would have been great for him and his development. the bundesliga, the dutch league, the belgium league. somewhere where he would play and play and play, against good opponents in a good league and get international experience too. training dont makes you perfect. at some point you have to play against good opponents.

it was the biggest fault he and his father could do. he gets no playtime. and even if he wants to get away to get started, they wont let him go, only with their stupid loan policy.

just to name a few:

Anderlecht
Gladbach
Dortmund
Schalke

there are a lot teams would have been great for him and his development. the bundesliga, the dutch league, the belgium league. somewhere where he would play and play and play, against good opponents in a good league and get international experience too. training dont makes you perfect. at some point you have to play against good opponents.

it was the biggest fault he and his father could do. he gets no playtime. and even if he wants to get away to get started, they wont let him go, only with their stupid loan policy.
You mentioned some bizarre teams there due to the German link.

Ajax and PSV are the two that come to my mind. Although if he really wanted a "big" club, anyone but Madrid, PSG, Chelsea, Manchester City would have been a much better choice.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
You mentioned some bizarre teams there due to the German link.

Ajax and PSV are the two that come to my mind. Although if he really wanted a "big" club, anyone but Madrid, PSG, Chelsea, Manchester City would have been a much better choice.
Didnt want to write a long list. Ajax and PSV are of course 2 other great options for that! Looking at all the talents coming out as topplayers from the Bundesliga i wouldn mention them as "bizarre", f.e. my club developed a lot of players the last years and is known for really taking care of, and not just "collecting" talents with no plan like madrid. Seems that the father really didnt have a clue of the football world and/or just want to save the biggest offer. All in all an example of stupitity.

Nick7

He's a 17 year old kid. He's doing well and has played 46 games for Real Madrid Castilla, and made his debut for the first team. That's great for a 17 year old. He will gradually be introduced more and more, I think people looking for instant returns are ridiculous. Messi was 17 when he was promoted to the first team. He only played 7 matches in 04-05 and 17 in 05-06 when he was promoted.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He's a 17 year old kid. He's doing well and has played 46 games for Real Madrid Castilla, and made his debut for the first team. That's great for a 17 year old. He will gradually be introduced more and more, I think people looking for instant returns are ridiculous. Messi was 17 when he was promoted to the first team. He only played 7 matches in 04-05 and 17 in 05-06 when he was promoted.
He's not just a 17 year old kid. The whole narrative around him was about him being the biggest talent in Europe. There are expectations and pressure that come with that. He chose to ride the hype wave and take advantage of it, so he can't expect to be treated like any of his peers now. If he wanted to keep a low profile and avoid that, he shouldn't have publicly paraded his tour 18 months ago and he probably shouldn't have joined a circus.

slig

Leave Klopp alone!!!
Supports
BVB 09
There are examples of 17 year old kids who are playing a lot in the first team. He could have been one of them.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
It was an idiotic move. Madrid are not a club that care much about young talents. They're associated with ego driven players or players at a 'peak'. Pogba or this lad? It must be a tough choice for Perez. Will he break habits of a lifetime? It's optimistic of the kid to think Madrid will wait for him. Take your time Martin, we'll save a space for you......

Got to be smart off the pitch too - get good advice and in all probabiliy he'll be elsewhere in 2 years. Yeah, once Ronaldo was a team mate of mine....great choice of club.

Doing well? He scoring rate is shite for the level he is playing at. Real Madrid Castilla is like playing in League 1.

Rooney was scoring against Arsenal when he was a year younger than him and by Ødegaard's age he was about to light up an international tournament.

Rashford is currently way ahead of him, a guy no-one had heard of just 5 months ago.

Does that fit with the hype around this lad?

Nick7

Doing well? He scoring rate is shite for the level he is playing at.

Rooney was scoring against Arsenal when he was a year younger than him and by Ødegaard's age he was about to light up an international tournament.

Rashford is currently way ahead of him, a guy no-one had heard of just 5 months ago.

Does that fit with the hype around this lad?
He's not a striker, nor a goalscorer. So your first point is moot. Rashford is a year older.

He's not a striker, nor a goalscorer. So your first point is moot. Rashford is a year older.
He's an attacking midfielder with just 2 goals in 45 games in a shite league, comparable to Division 1... so no, it's not at all "moot".

What was Cesc doing at his age?

What we're talking about here is the hype, and the decision to join Madrid, which was a fecking crap one. Yet you are trying to defend it by basically saying, "This 17 year old attacking midfielder is doing well, has scored 2 in 45 playing for Port Vale."

It wouldn't make it any more impressive if we bought Port Vale and started calling them Manchester United Port Vale FC, it's still division one. Many many less hyped players have been playing top level first team football by his age.

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
just to name a few:

Anderlecht
Gladbach
Dortmund
Schalke

there are a lot teams which would have been great for him and his development. the bundesliga, the dutch league, the belgium league. somewhere where he would play and play and play, against good opponents in a good league and get international experience too. training dont makes you perfect. at some point you have to play against good opponents.

Do you believe that in those teams would play many games with 17 years ?. I think people had the misconception that in 6 months would be playing with Cristiano.
The boy arrived in Madrid with 16 years, with that age he has to learn tactics, gain experience ( I think not necessarily at the first level ) and especially interact with kids of his age.He really needed a bit of modesty.I think one of the mistakes of these young players that promised so much and were a big dissapointment later, it was the precipitation.
He will not be a better player simply starting his career before , some players are prepared , for example I remember that Raul was very mature with 17 years, however Iniesta spent two years 2002/03 and 03/2004 (with 19 and 20 years) alternating first team and Barça B.
I might agree with you if his level in Castilla had been outstanding but it was not anything special . The opinion of press following Castilla and some of his coaches is similar: very talented but rushes , loses many balls trying to score the goal of the century and some games you don´t know if he is playing. 1 goal and 4 assists in all the season are very poor stats.
Next season will probably go on loan to some team in primera, like Villarreal , perhaps a team near Madrid, or some of the teams that you named and I´d bet that will be very difficult for him , the next stage in his learning.
His father was wrong demanding first team minutes but not securing his child's future

Do you believe that in those teams would play many games with 17 years ?
Genuine top talents like Rooney, Ronaldo, Cesc, Zidane, Ronaldo Lima and James Milner were! And seriously, I'd expect a talent as hyped as him to be absolutely smashing it with Real Madrid Castilla at such a crap standard of football.

He's Freddy Adu x 2.

james milner... hahahah!

Last edited:

Acquire Me

Genuine top talents like Rooney, Ronaldo, Cesc, Zidane, Ronaldo Lima and James Milner were! And seriously, I'd expect a talent as hyped as him to be absolutely smashing it with Real Madrid Castilla at such a crap standard of football.

He's Freddy Adu x 2.

james milner... hahahah!
I really dont think he is. I read that he has done great this year when played as a attacking mf. One of the best on Castilla this season. Its not looking so bad as it seems.

I really dont think he is. I read that he has done great this year when played as a attacking mf. One of the best on Castilla this season. Its not looking so bad as it seems.
I've heard a few 17 year olds in League 1 who are also looking good, does that mean they will also be amongst the best in the World and deserved of the hype around this kid?

Ödegaard has done so well as a AM he has 2 goals in like 45 games. Obviously you have a bias mate, and I get that, but much like Freddy Adu, this lad has done absolutely nothing to deserve the bizarre insane hype. Much much less than Adnan for example.

Ödegaard is currently at the level of Barnsley's James Bree.

Acquire Me

I've heard a few 17 year olds in League 1 who are also looking good, does that mean they will also be amongst the best in the World and deserved of the hype around this kid?

Ödegaard has done so well as a AM he has 2 goals in like 45 games. Obviously you have a bias mate, and I get that, but much like Freddy Adu, this lad has done absolutely nothing to deserve the bizarre insane hype. Much much less than Adnan for example.

Well, I am hoping for the best for him and I really rate the kid. Lets see what happens.

AkaAkuma&

If this kid really wanted to be a top player with a proper guidance and exposure in a top footballing club, he should have joined Barcelona. In La Masia he would have really improved and become a lot better.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He should have joined a french club like Lyon or Monaco, they have excellent youth coaches and actually play the youngsters.

JPRouve

Scout
Going to Rennes on a season long loan. Good move?
Gourcuff is a good coach but the problem with loans is that Rennes has no reason to give him more chances than he deserves, so he will have to be up to it fast.

Tiber

Young players are probably chased by all the top teams all the time, this kid just got more media coverage of it

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Gourcuff is a good coach but the problem with loans is that Rennes has no reason to give him more chances than he deserves, so he will have to be up to it fast.
I suspect he has more chance of getting signifigant game time there than some of the other clubs he was being linked with (Everton and Liverpool for example)
I'm looking forward to seeing if he can make an impact there and league un is a high standard so it will be a decent test for him - though perhaps not as overwhelming as the BL or PL might have been

JPRouve

Scout
I suspect he has more chance of getting signifigant game time there than some of the other clubs he was being linked with (Everton and Liverpool for example)
I'm looking forward to seeing if he can make an impact there and league un is a high standard so it will be a decent test for him - though perhaps not as overwhelming as the BL or PL might have been
He obviously has more chances to play there. I was just saying that a genuinely good move would be an actual transfer more than a loan.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He obviously has more chances to play there. I was just saying that a genuinely good move would be an actual transfer more than a loan.
not sure it would be a good move for madrid or the player though if they believe he has the talent to come back and be an important player for them... also I imagine real will be paying a chunk of his pretty high wages and that it is unlikely many clubs he would have wanted to join could have justified his wages plus paying madrid enough to let him go...
i think a loan is right for him at this stage - and at least he has not done an adnan and picked somewhere we wont get a game

JPRouve

Scout
not sure it would be a good move for madrid or the player though if they believe he has the talent to come back and be an important player for them... also I imagine real will be paying a chunk of his pretty high wages and that it is unlikely many clubs he would have wanted to join could have justified his wages plus paying madrid enough to let him go...
i think a loan is right for him at this stage - and at least he has not done an adnan and picked somewhere we wont get a game
You are probably, if he can start it will be a good move.

khoazany

To be fair we wanted James Bree two years ago but he preferred to stay at Barnsley, which has been a smart choice so far.