Martin Ødegaard - Next season

Of course, but seeing our loan deals lately, flocking a player somewhere just for the sake of it doesn't work out well.
Maybe they got assurances from Heerenveen that Ajax weren't prepared to give regarding game time?

The lad needs game time in a decent league, and this is a lower pressure club than Ajax. Everything about it seems good to me, can't understand the complaints.

Enigma_87

You know who
Maybe they got assurances from Heerenveen that Ajax weren't prepared to give regarding game time?

The lad needs game time in a decent league, and this is a lower pressure club than Ajax. Everything about it seems good to me, can't understand the complaints.
To me it's not the right league for him. He needs to develop other aspects of his game not technical ability.Lower side in Spain/Germany/France is miles better.

Eriku

lol at all the people who think that he's a flop at 18 because he hasn't broken into Real.

Also lol at the people who think he went to Real for a paycheck... you lot clearly have no clue about Ødegaard.

Obviously guessing who will make it into the top tier of footballing stardom is tricky, but I reckon there's a good chance that a lot of people assuming he'll flop will have egg on their face.

Looking forward to seeing him play in the Eredivisie.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
No, Ajax was in for him too.
According to whom? Overmars said just two months ago that he's extremely unhappy with the fact that we have two players on loan (and these two players who we brought in on loan were for positions where we didn't have a single established player) this season because one player on loan should be a maximum at our club and even this one player should not be loaned out if we don't have an option to buy.
He clearly stated that in the future he does not want to loan players anymore without an option to buy and that we should avoid to give players from other clubs playing time.
Knowing Overmars though I wouldn't be surprised if he asked about a loan with an option to buy.

@Enigma_87
Seen your post, just can't really reply right now as I'm at work and have to switch tabs all the time :angel:

Eriku

Has anyone actually said that since this loan new broke yesterday @Eriku?

Exciting loan this, time to see if this kid is everything he's hyped up to be, really looking forward to seeing him play proper football.
I suppose not but it's a supposition that fuels a fair few of the haters that are piping up.

Not sure I agree with Laphroaig about Molde's sparring with Ajax demonstrating that Eresdivisie isn't much of a cut above Tippeligaen. No more than Leicester's CL results pointing to them being a major force in the EPL right now. I reckon it's the right mix of physical and technical prowess for Ødegaard to develop.

He's been doing well for Castilla, but to me it seems like Castilla players play more for their own chances in the first team than for the team they're in, and Ødegaard's attributes are best utilised in a team with good cohesion and movement.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
According to?
According to whom? Overmars said just two months ago that he's extremely unhappy with the fact that we have two players on loan (and these two players who we brought in on loan were for positions where we didn't have a single established player) this season because one player on loan should be a maximum at our club and even this one player should not be loaned out if we don't have an option to buy.
He clearly stated that in the future he does not want to loan players anymore without an option to buy and that we should avoid to give players from other clubs playing time.
Knowing Overmars though I wouldn't be surprised if he asked about a loan with an option to buy.

@Enigma_87
Seen your post, just can't really reply right now as I'm at work and have to switch tabs all the time :angel:
Read it on a dutch footy website and assumed it was true seeing he's a huge talent.

Laphroaig

I suppose not but it's a supposition that fuels a fair few of the haters that are piping up.

Not sure I agree with Laphroaig about Molde's sparring with Ajax demonstrating that Eresdivisie isn't much of a cut above Tippeligaen. No more than Leicester's CL results pointing to them being a major force in the EPL right now. I reckon it's the right mix of physical and technical prowess for Ødegaard to develop.

He's been doing well for Castilla, but to me it seems like Castilla players play more for their own chances in the first team than for the team they're in, and Ødegaard's attributes are best utilised in a team with good cohesion and movement.
Didn't say that, I replied to the claim that he will now "face far better opposition than he ever has". So - the best Norwegian team at the time was as good as the best Dutch team at the time, but in general the Dutch league is surely far superior.

Eriku

Didn't say that, I replied to the claim that he will now "face far better opposition than he ever has". So - the best Norwegian team at the time was as good as the best Dutch team at the time, but in general the Dutch league is surely far superior.
Ah, fair enough.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
I'd be inclined to believe the guy with good knowledge of the Ajax manager and his thoughts regarding loan players than a random footy website.
Did I claim otherwise? If he follows Ajax closely he's obviously probably going to know if it's true or not. Calm down ffs, I was only telling what I'd read this morning without trying to correct anyone...

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
I understand where you are coming from and seeing you as an Ajax fan you know your league best. However watching some of the top teams lately (actually as you said it's probably like this since Ajax and PSV were actually good in Europe) the defensive phase is just not there for me. It's probably one of the easiest league (out of the top ones) to score in and it's much more focused on the technical and attacking side of the game. Which is of course very good and positive for young talents such as Eriksen, Wijnaldum etc but IMO not the right place for Odegaard. He needs to develop other aspects of his game - such as physical, tactical and positional. That he'll learn better at France and Germany where teams are more focused on positional and physical aspect of the game.
It is true that our league is more focused on "trying to play football" which makes it an easier league to score in. Teams very often try to attack because sitting back is frowned upon. However I actually think that from a tactical and positional point of view our league is quite good. I don't think he'll have it as easy as you seem to think and in the end I think it makes sense for him to play in an attacking set up as that is what Real do in most of their games.

It's not just Finnbogason there are many forwards that were free scoring there and flopping everywhere else and it probably dates back from Kezman and Alves. Obviously there are examples like Bony and Pelle who did well in England but they are a bit of exception to the rule compared to those who didn't.
I can't agree with that one. We have quite a lot of players who have big problems once they leave for bigger clubs but at the same time we have quite a few who don't have these problems. Imo it should be obvious that this can't be just down to quality because both the players who make it in better leagues and the ones who don't make it score quite similar numbers. I think the problem is that many teams still just buy a player because he has great goalscoring stats. But the problem with many of these players is that the system is focused on making them score. Then they join a team that isn't focused on the striker or even demands the striker to help in the build up and stuff like that. And then they fall short because they can't do that. These are not very good players, they might have only one or two strong points and the whole team helps them using these. To be honest I have no idea why teams continue doing this mistake. It's not like it's luck that determines if a player fails. Of course every now and then a player will fail who you didn't expect to fail but that happens for every league. At times it happens even with transfers of players in the same league.
Btw this is also a reason why our strikers with good numbers usually don't fail. Because the team isn't designed to make them look great. They are just a part of the team.

Of course that doesn't change the fact that the dutch league is easier to score in and in general a lot weaker than the german, english etc leagues. But I don't think anyone would argue against that anyway.

Don't get me wrong it's an excellent place for a young talent to improve his technical game, but even in Spain a lot of teams are following Atletico's more tactical and physical approach and given Odegaard game at the moment I don't see the point of a loan to Heerenven, apart from playing time.
Besides Heerenveen isn't even one of the top clubs in Holland, which given how highly rated he is find even more mind boggling.
Playing time is very important though and I'm pretty sure it was Odegaard who wanted a move. Don't forget that this is not just Real Madrid property. And as I said I think he can learn quite a lot from a tactical point of view. Physical.. well he's still only just 18. As said I wouldn't be surprised if he won't find it as easy as you think. If he really does Real can call him back after a few months.
To be honest I don't think we are that far apart. I think you just rate Odegaard a lot higher than I do. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. It's not like I watch Castilla games regularly. We will soon find out.

Did I claim otherwise? If he follows Ajax closely he's obviously probably going to know if it's true or not. Calm down ffs, I was only telling what I'd read this morning without trying to correct anyone...
To be fair as I said I wouldn't put it past Overmars to ask for a loan with an option to buy. At times he has some strange ideas. But I don't think he tried to regularly loan him. According to current reports we're supposed to make some big moves in this window and that just wouldn't leave space for a talent that isn't our own.

No worries mate. Will be following him but would appreciate your feedback as well how he develops there.
I'll surely watch a few Heerenveen games extra to see for myself. I'm very interested and also very happy he joined the league I have to say.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
Debut away to PSV? Could be very interested, will definitely be tuning in if he starts.
Not sure about a starting debut but I do expect him to play. He already had his debut last weekend and while he was only brought on for the last 2 minutes or so it shows that they are ready to play him right away. After spending another full week with the team I'd say it's likely he will feature as a regular sub or a starter.

Eriku

Nice little appearance. A few passes and flicks which were too soft, but aside from that looked good. Classic (if you can say that) Ødegaard move when he went past the defenders on the byline, curious that there were no replays offered up for that one, I thought it was a clear penalty myself.

Hope the manager and the coaching staff were encouraged by how he handled himself away at PSV. Glad I'm no Heerenveen fan, though. 3-2, should possibly have had a penalty chance to make it 4-2, and instead they lose. Gah.

I check my bias regularly, dude, hence my use of the qualifier "thought". Fetch yer glasses ;P
Ha ha.
"I thought" doesn't in some way excuse that Eriku. It's extreme bias to say you thought that was a clear pen, it certainly could be but the angle is absolutely terrible. Shame that we can't see as it was possibly a massive match turning moment.

Last edited:

Eriku

Ha ha.
"I thought" doesn't in some way excuse that Eriku. It's extreme bias to say you thought that was a clear pen, it certainly could be but the angle is absolutely terrible. Shame that we can't see as it was possibly a massive match turning moment.
Yes, I thought it looked a clear pen at the time. I, the author of the sentence, have clarified what I meant to express. You can either a) accept that, b) create a new thread with a poll to determine whether my phrasing comes across as me calling it an unequivocal penalty, or c) you can keep pretending to be either the champion of language and/or mind-reader. Your call.

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
That name is awesome. How in the hell do you learn that name though?

"Yeah, that Goooch dude scored" :drool:
He's a folk hero in italy after the world cup. Gucci :D
Giorno is right, everyone just calls him Gucci.
It's not a hard name for Iranians though. The suffix "nejad" is pretty common among Persian names. It just means "origin or race".