Martin Ødegaard - Next season

Classical Mechanic

:lol:

That explains it then. There was hardly anything that impressive in that video. Januzaj plays like that all the time.

I do think he is a talent but he isn't close to Messi by a long shot.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
hattrick from my fellow Iranian Ghoochanejad though.
Shows how bad the Dutch league is unfortunately, he was woeful when he played for us.

Anyway - decent cameo from Odegaard I thought, I found it from a clickbait link that made it sound like he had a nightmare... glad to see he hasn't stagnated too much at Real and hopefully this loan spell and regular top flight football will do him the world of good.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
Shows how bad the Dutch league is unfortunately, he was woeful when he played for us.
Well as poor as the dutch league is I highly doubt the average side in the 2nd english division is far better than PSV.

Re Odegaard I think he did ok. Heerenveen played one of the best teams in the league away from home in a very tight game. That's not an easy game to make your "real" debut and he showed a very positive mood. He didn't show anything out of this world but he has talent and his mindset seems to be right.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
glad to see he hasn't stagnated too much at Real and hopefully this loan spell and regular top flight football will do him the world of good.
Kid turned 18 a month ago

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Kid turned 18 a month ago
And was playing regular top-flight football and was an international at 15... the point being he's arguably been playing at a level below where he should for a couple of seasons and that could possibly hinder his development.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And was playing regular top-flight football and was an international at 15... the point being he's arguably been playing at a level below where he should for a couple of seasons and that could possibly hinder his development.
Yes, played top-flight in norway for one season, then in spanish third division for 2 years. The idea that he spent the last two years playing below his level and that might have hindered his progression is insane. His trajectory in Spain has been similar to messi's, with the difference being odegaard isn't messi

He's spent the last two years training with cristiano, bale, modric, kroos, james, etc...

Eriku

He ain't tearing it up against AZ so far, 35 mins in. Needs to get on the ball more, and keep it simple when needed. That said, the rest of Heerenveen haven't looked that good either.

izec

The Norwegians should stop overrating the kid, the English disease in hyping up decent talents. It is understandable that you get easily thrilled by a decent football player, but still.

'Like watching Messi' :lol:

Macern

Pee pee pants
The Norwegians should stop overrating the kid, the English disease in hyping up decent talents. It is understandable that you get easily thrilled by a decent football player, but still.

It is :cool:

You can't blame them really, their next door neighbours have had Zlatan and Larsson before him, these poor feckers have had John Carew :(

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
"what Carew can do with a ball, i can do with an orange"

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
I really think this is proving to be a good move for him. His technique is really good but he's still very raw (obviously! considering his age). You can clearly see his weak points (keeps the ball too much, has to play with more pace and precision and become more effective - basically the general weaknesses young players show) and he can work on them here.

Manchie

I'm happy that he got his form back now, and it a good decision to leave Madrid

I'm happy that he got his form back now, and it a good decision to leave Madrid
Has he? was there ever any actual "form" to get back? He's just a baby in football terms after all.

Since his first start for the club they haven't won a single game and have been dropping down the league table like a stone. Benched too yesterday.

KN5

How's he playing now? Is he getting starts/sub appearances? He looked fantastic last time i watched him.

How's he playing now? Is he getting starts/sub appearances? He looked fantastic last time i watched him.
I watched his full game (vs. AZ Alkmaar I think it was?), thought he was "meh". Dropped yesterday.

Has been getting plenty of games though, but as I said above, has coincided with a terrible run of form for the team.

Manchie

Has he? was there ever any actual "form" to get back? He's just a baby in football terms after all.

Since his first start for the club they haven't won a single game and have been dropping down the league table like a stone. Benched too yesterday.
I don't watch their games and can't comment on why they are dropping but I don't expect him to change their season single handedly.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
They played away to the 3rd, 4th, 6th team in the league and at home against the 5th and 10th (+ a cup game away to the 5th). So yeah they are in bad form but the schedule didn't help them especially as they've shown problems with almost all these teams in the first half of the season when they were in good form and played most of them at home.
So while Ødegaard certainly didn't help them so far as he didn't have a good game for them yet (you can see he got talent but that's about it atm) I don't think he's a big reason for them dropping in the table either

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I don't watch their games and can't comment on why they are dropping but I don't expect him to change their season single handedly.
The point is if he didn't sign for Real so early he woulnd't need to be single handedly saving meaningless teams in a meaningless league in meaningless games. Plenty of Premier League clubs wanted his signature and would have given him proper playing time even at his young age. Look how many games Woodburn has got at Liverpool for example and from reputation Woody's not a shade on Odegaard.. Not that he had to come to Liverpool, there are other clubs. Kerching.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Why is the lad shown so much attention on this forum?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The point is if he didn't sign for Real so early he woulnd't need to be single handedly saving meaningless teams in a meaningless league in meaningless games. Plenty of Premier League clubs wanted his signature and would have given him proper playing time even at his young age. Look how many games Woodburn has got at Liverpool for example and from reputation Woody's not a shade on Odegaard.. Not that he had to come to Liverpool, there are other clubs. Kerching.
Woodburn has played less than 300 minutes all against lower league opposition. Hardly better than the eredivisie. It isn't a meaningless league or team and he isn't being expected to do anything single handedly. If he didn't sign for real he also wouldn't have trained with world class coaches and a whole host of world class players. At his age everything isn't about getting the most first team minutes a season possible. Top class training is also vital.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
When I watched him play for Real Madrid castilla he always looked very young, that only really started to change this season. He didn't need the odd run out as a sub, or in dead European matches or low priority cup ties - he needed regular game time against serious opposition which is what playing for the castilla gave him.

The loan to Heerenveen seems like a pretty fair reflection of where he's at now. He's supposed to be there to learn, and he really wouldn't be learning much by sitting on Liverpool or anyone elses bench.

Eriku

Looking a lot better today against Go Ahead Eagles. Finally he looks to be properly in synch with the rest of the team. Splendid through ball to give Heerenveen the 2-1 goal. Just looking at highlight reels he's had a fair few matches where he's looked good, but watching the whole match and seeing him off the ball made you feel he still had some ways to go. Not getting that impression today.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Because we have a lot of norwegians on the caf?
Indeed. We have 844 members with Norwegian email addresses, and that isn't including the likes of Eriku, Macern and Samid who have .com addresses, so we probably have over a thousand Norwegians in total with about 50 or so being in the mains.

Laphroaig

Indeed. We have 844 members with Norwegian email addresses, and that isn't including the likes of Eriku, Macern and Samid who have .com addresses, so we probably have over a thousand Norwegians in total with about 50 or so being in the mains.
I think I know a single Norwegian without a .com address.

lysglimt

Scout
I am not gonna call that assist today World-class, but certainly not far away. Insane pass!

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
:lol: Literally no one uses an .no address these days.

:drool: Get him in the squad vs Northern Ireland.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
A thousand Norwegians with 50 in the mains. That seems a piss poor batting average. I have no doubt there's a valid reason.

Eriku

Nice little elastico by Larsson just before the ball got to Ødegaard, and some additional angles: