Martin Atkinson

Blatzo

Refereeing performance today was poor.

I'm not accusing him of bias, costing us the game, or anything like that; I'm saying the performance as a whole was utterly shite.

And it was.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He hasn't had the best game but as I said, he isn't the reason we are in 5th and out of virtually every competition.

He isn't also the reason why we wouldn't have champions league football next season.
What does that have to do with him being awful today though? He also isn't the reason I had a wank this morning but that also has nothing to do with Atkinson being a dreadful ref.

the hea

One of the worst performances I have seen from a ref, he got so many decisions wrong today going both ways. Payet's dive and Shweini's foul on the goalkeeper were the 2 big ones but there were far to many smaller decisions that went the wrong way today.

ATXRedDevil

He threw himself into an unnatural position with his elbow out. The ball was still traveling towards goal when it hit his elbow. Reid created the situation for the ball to hit his hand and thus it should have been a handball imo. Way different than the 1 or 2 times it hit Ogbanna as the ball hit him while he was standing still and didn't have his arm out.
Not a chance that's a penalty. If a player shot the ball at smalling and it hit his heel and bounced in to his elbow that was tucked in by his torso you would NEVER argue that was a penalty

SteveW

I think the main hate to him is not just from today, but everything comes out now from us because he's done this many times before when being the ref in United games.
Agreed. His record of fecking us over is staggering. Not today though imo

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Either than Payet thing was a penalty or a second yellow card for him? How on earth did he get that wrong?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Refereeing performance today was poor.

I'm not accusing him of bias, costing us the game, or anything like that; I'm saying the performance as a whole was utterly shite.

And it was.
I am. To me, it seemed he used to relish upsetting Fergie. Looks like one of those referees who thinks it makes him look 'strong' to give decisions against United. He's been that way for as long as I can remember him being a Premier League ref. If he never took charge of another United game I'd be delighted.

SteveW

Either than Payet thing was a penalty or a second yellow card for him? How on earth did he get that wrong?
This thinking is dangerous imo. From the refs standpoint it was a very tight decision. Would have been harsh to send him off unless he was absolutely certain it wasn't a penalty. Hard to see how he could have been

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's clueless and terrible at his job... But everyone bar the FA, who think he should represent England at the Euros, knows this already.

I mean, this is a man who had/has the word REF on his number plate... The fact that he's a knob is a given.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Payet could even have been sent off immediately when he got his yellow card because he booted the ball away in frustration.

MDFC Manager

Can't believe the LvG hate has reached levels where people feel the need to justify/excuse the absolutely woeful refereeing performance today

SteveW

Just saw the Martial goal again. We're fecking steeped that it stood.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm generally speaking not one to whine about the ref but Atkinson was shockingly bad. Felt like he had an agenda of sorts.

caid

This thinking is dangerous imo. From the refs standpoint it was a very tight decision. Would have been harsh to send him off unless he was absolutely certain it wasn't a penalty. Hard to see how he could have been
Disagree,
that was as obvious a dive as they come.
If your not going to book a player for that then you might as well throw out the rule.

He dived 2 mins later for the free too.

Hojoon

Making mistakes in big decisions is understandable, but the number of basic decisions he gets wrong for someone who's refereed at top flight level for over a decade is terrible.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Even if its not a foul I'm pretty sure he was offside.
Just watched the replay in the match day thread, I'm still not sure. The block happens before Martial strikes the ball (though I do see it as two players coming together, not a foul for me). As Martial does strike the ball forward, which is only when an offside decision could be made, I wouldn't consider Schweinsteiger to be involved in the play. He doesn't motion towards the ball.

It's a weird one, but I'd be hard pushed to call it a foul or offside if it happened against us. Webb's analysis of the replays was bizarre today.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Shocking performance overall.

Payet dived for the free kick, he should have had a penalty and the keeper was fouled for the goal. Done well with the Reid handball though.

VanGaalEra

Payet should have been off for the dive yet somehow the WUM's on TV saying it was a pen :lol:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Clattenberg, Marriner and Dean say hello. :)

Actually, most of the refs in this country are utter shite and love the attention.
I genuinely think Atkinson has been consistently worse than all of those referees. Mike Dean is a bit card happy but he at least tends to dish it out equally. Atkinson is anti-United.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
One of the
Payet should have been off for the dive yet somehow the WUM's on TV saying it was a pen :lol:
I have no idea. He dives, doesn't get a second yellow and then goes down super easily 2 minutes later to win the free kick. FORGET THAT THOUGH, let's spend 15 minutes discrediting United's goal instead.

VanGaalEra

One of the

I have no idea. He dives, doesn't get a second yellow and then goes down super easily 2 minutes later to win the free kick. FORGET THAT THOUGH, let's spend 15 minutes discrediting United's goal instead.
It's ridiculous, all I hear from pundits is how it's a contact sport and players go down to easy.

Recently, they've been advocating BS decision by saying there was contact (Benteke at Palace, Depay on Clyne and then twice today). What do you cnuts want? Players to not go down so easy or the ref blowing for every little contact?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Just watched the replay in the match day thread, I'm still not sure. The block happens before Martial strikes the ball (though I do see it as two players coming together, not a foul for me). As Martial does strike the ball forward, which is only when an offside decision could be made, I wouldn't consider Schweinsteiger to be involved in the play. He doesn't motion towards the ball.

It's a weird one, but I'd be hard pushed to call it a foul or offside if it happened against us. Webb's analysis of the replays was bizarre today.
He's just blocked off the keeper, it is all the same play and he has affected it in an offside position. Randolph is now on the ground because of Schweinsteiger, making him involved in the play.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Not a chance that's a penalty. If a player shot the ball at smalling and it hit his heel and bounced in to his elbow that was tucked in by his torso you would NEVER argue that was a penalty
The post I was responding too was trying to rationalize that West Ham could have gotten a pen for the Payet dive. He said that most refs would probably have given them a pen even though it was a dive thus excusing Atkinson for not giving Payet his second yellow. The same applies for the West Ham handballs. Agree with them or not, there are definitely many refs that would have given a pen.

Nathan

The focus is rightly on the referee, had he made the decision to send the player off we would have won. He needs to sit out & referee in the lower divisions. Too often they just go along as if nothing happened.

SteveW

Disagree,
that was as obvious a dive as they come.
If your not going to book a player for that then you might as well throw out the rule.

He dived 2 mins later for the free too.
It was a dive but the replay also showed slight contact. Therefore the decision was marginal. We were lucky it wasn't a pen imo as many refs would have given it.

Blind clearly pulled his arm for the freekick
The Reid one obviously wasn't a pen. It bounced up off his leg.
Martial's goal shouldn't have stood. Sweinsteiger basically bodychecked the keeper into the net. He was also offside.
He made a great decision when Payet fouled Varela. It didn't look like a foul in real time.

I fecking despise Atkinson. I'll never forget the offside goal that handed Chelsea the league or the Portsmouth game to name just two examples. He's a terrible referee that's fecked us over on many occasions.

But today he obviously didn't. We benefited a lot more than West Ham