g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Martin Atkinson

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If he deemed the Payet penalty to be a non penalty, what's his reasoning for not giving him the second yellow for diving? I'm really interested to know.
The only explainable reason is that he would think Payet just fell on the ground "naturally" but then again he did appeal for the pen. Atkinson should just retire, the game is too fast for him and he is very bad at his job.

Anyone saying that is not a dive from Payet needs to give their head a wobble. Absolutely clear as day and gutless from Atkinson not to send him off. Its either a dive or its a pen - it cannot be neither.
The Noble tackle on Lingard which apparently wasn't even a foul was a clear yellow too.
Does make you question the integrity of people like him when he misses the Noble one, he's standing *right* fecking there ffs.
That one was pure blindness. Unbelievable when you consider how dangerous that tackle was.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
So why did Howard Webb on BT only stick his oar in for the penalty and the equaliser? Both of which he still gets wrong IMO. The two separate two footers from Reid and Antonio, Carroll's kick on Rashford and Noble's smash on Lingard all ignored.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
So why did Howard Webb on BT only stick his oar in for the penalty and the equaliser? Both of which he still gets wrong IMO. The two separate two footers from Reid and Antonio, Carroll's kick on Rashford and Noble's smash on Lingard all ignored.
Because penalty decisions and goals are game changing decisions. Andy Carroll flicking out at Rashford to get off of him aren't. We'd be there all day if refs were explaining every decision.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Because penalty decisions and goals are game changing decisions. Andy Carroll flicking out at Rashford to get off of him aren't. We'd be there all day if refs were explaining every decision.
Red cards are game changing decisions, as much as penalties are. Webb has often revisited challenges which could have resulted in a red card on live games on BT, but didn't on Sunday.

RaptorSlo

I swear some here would make a case for that famous Pedersen's dive to be a faul and should be penalty.

Man-United

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I hate the sight of him and Mike Dean. You just get used to officials and the nonsense they'll come up with.

In Atkinsons case he'll just guess his way through a whole game often just favouring the least controversial option or more often than not the home side. In Deans case he'll always make it a spectacle about him with penalty decisions and dismissals no one else would bother with. He'd have been loving it givin an 85th minute penalty to Palace on Friday night to settle the game and have a talking point.

I can't understand how Atkinsons made it so high in the refereeing world, he's never had a game where I've thought he's done well in.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Will never forget his performance at Chelsea in 2011. Incredible stuff.

arthurka

He and Dean are absolute shit. I agree with the poster above cant for the life of me remember a game where I thought they did well but Atkinson for me is the worst cant make big calls never in his live..

Golden Nugget

As much as I hate Mike Dean, he is miles ahead of Atkinson - who's absolutely dreadful in every game I watch him in. I used to think he hated United, but the more I watch him, it's obvious that he's just plain dreadful. Makes horrible decisions for both teams, all the time. No idea how he continues to be a referee, never mind going to the Euros.

The Premier League should consider hiring foreign refs... can't remember who it was, but there was a good ref from the lesser leagues (Switzerland?) I recall it being against Olympiakos - can't remember if he was good or bad (which is probably a good thing) but I remember him stamping his authority early in the game and didn't allow anyone to talk back to him.

Djemba-Djemba

I don't give a feck if it sounds paranoid but there is definitely an issue with Martin Atkinson and Man Utd.

It happens far too often.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Webb's inability to get things right, even with video replay, is amazing.
I said it in the match day thread, the BT boys said, "that's why Howard reffed a World Cup final!"

Not sure they remembered that it was the final that will be known forever for being one of the worst reffed matches in any sport ever. Well done Howard.

pseudo_canadian

Either than Payet thing was a penalty or a second yellow card for him? How on earth did he get that wrong?
This always infuriates me.

It's either a penalty or a yellow card for diving, since you're not calling a foul and thus a penalty. It has to be one or the other, yet Atkinson is an incompetent coward so he ends up calling neither.

Sir A1ex

I initially hated Howard Webb's input to BT Sport, but I've come to realise it offers a unique insight into the mind of the top-level ref. He makes up his mind instantly on his first view of an incident, and even when other angles prove him totally wrong, and the commentators are saying "oh, actually, he didn't touch him" or whatever, he completely refuses to even contemplate admitting his mistake.
I guess in a strange way that's the attitude refs need to take - any self doubt, humility or other signs of being a rational, balanced human being would lead to them being unable to do their jobs.
The guy is a grade one dick, basically.

Sir A1ex

It's either a penalty or a yellow card for diving, since you're not calling a foul and thus a penalty. It has to be one or the other, yet Atkinson is an incompetent coward so he ends up calling neither.
And we come out of it with everybody talking about how they should have had a pen, when in actual fact, their goal scorer should not have been on the pitch.

arthurka

I initially hated Howard Webb's input to BT Sport, but I've come to realise it offers a unique insight into the mind of the top-level ref. He makes up his mind instantly on his first view of an incident, and even when other angles prove him totally wrong, and the commentators are saying "oh, actually, he didn't touch him" or whatever, he completely refuses to even contemplate admitting his mistake.
I guess in a strange way that's the attitude refs need to take - any self doubt, humility or other signs of being a rational, balanced human being would lead to them being unable to do their jobs.
Yes so if it´s like that split second.. Why if he thought it wasn´t a pen didn´t he give the guy a yellow? That´s not split second by any means, that´s just poor! I for one thought that he had a terrible game and nothing right or wrong went for United. That foul on Payet when he scored that goal was it a foul? He let much worse go in that game, Blind stands tight to the player who throws himself down again... If that was a freekick surely it was a pen. Never in a million years, just terrible performance but sadly we have become used to this from that guy and a few others.. But that Atkinson just eats the cake...

Sir A1ex

Yes so if it´s like that split second.. Why if he thought it wasn´t a pen didn´t he give the guy a yellow? That´s not split second by any means, that´s just poor! I for one thought that he had a terrible game and nothing right or wrong went for United. .
That's all correct (my post was about Webb, btw, but Atkinson is shit too!)

That foul on Payet when he scored that goal was it a foul? He let much worse go in that game, Blind stands tight to the player who throws himself down again... If that was a freekick surely it was a pen.
It was a very soft foul, but I wouldn't say it was the same as the penalty shout. The penalty was clear simulation - there's no contact and he clearly throws his foot back to try and con the ref - definite booking. The free kick he just feels a bit of contact and goes down really weakly, if I was ref I'd just say play on.

arthurka

That's all correct (my post was about Webb, btw, but Atkinson is shit too!)

It was a very soft foul, but I wouldn't say it was the same as the penalty shout. The penalty was clear simulation - there's no contact and he clearly throws his foot back to try and con the ref - definite booking. The free kick he just feels a bit of contact and goes down really weakly, if I was ref I'd just say play on.
Sorry but I agree with you anyway..

I know you could blow there but given what he let slip in that match never in a million years should that be a freekick.. If he was following any line what so ever that should have been waved on..

Fitchett

How does he manage to keep his job?
Mike Riley (Head of Referees) is from Leeds.
Martin Atkinson is from Leeds.
Howard Webb, who religiously backs a referee's decision even when TV replays prove it wrong, is from Yorkshire.
Jon Moss, who has a history of getting penalty decisions wrong, is from Yorkshire.

I guess it's the Yorkshire refereeing mafia all looking after each other.

Moriarty

Howard Webb is a mental midget compared to men like Jack Taylor, Roger Kirkpatrick, or even Clive 'the book' Thomas. Webb and his ilk act like it is they, not the players, who are the stars of the show.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Disagree, there can easily be contact in the box without it being a penalty. For example a collision after a corner could be deemed to soft to give a penalty, but that doesn't necessarily mean the ref should book the player who goes to the ground for diving, even if he's calling for a pen.

It's somewhat more difficult with the Payet incident because it's not just any contact. It's a tackle and if he didn't think it was a penalty, he must've thought it was a dive. So if you were talking solely about that, definitely agree that it should've been his second yellow.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Disagree, there can easily be contact in the box without it being a penalty. For example a collision after a corner could be deemed to soft to give a penalty, but that doesn't necessarily mean the ref should book the player who goes to the ground for diving, even if he's calling for a pen.

It's somewhat more difficult with the Payet incident because it's not just any contact. It's a tackle and if he didn't think it was a penalty, he must've thought it was a dive. So if you were talking solely about that, definitely agree that it should've been his second yellow.
To add on that, refs should only make a call in any case if they are sure. He could have heavily leaned either way but not be totally sure and thus called nothing. Penalty calls are especially hard because they usually furthest away from any official and getting it wrong affects the game a lot more than getting it right.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Shocking calls on both of Cresswell's yellow cards.

The first for simulation when it should've been a penalty to westam. The second yellow within a minute of the first for an arm over Saha's face, it was a free kick but not a yellow.

Atkinson is an awful referee.

izec

The second one was a yellow but a soft one. The peno call was shocking.
It is very rare to see players getting booked for that. Very very soft, especially if given a yellow 40 seconds before. He didnt even connect properly. I mean sometimes these fouls are not even given.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Yeah that 2011 SB performance was extremely shocking, even for his standards.
Thankfully it didn't cost us our 19th title and we beat them at OT a couple of months later to more or less all but confirm the title.

Needham

Lets have a moratorium on bitching about referees. Painful reminder of decline that we stoop to anxiously checking out who will ref big games. And its time-consuming googling their family addresses to send bullets.

Enigma_87

You know who
Such a nothing ref. 3 blatant penos today. Mata with a blatant dive just in front of him. Arsene was bitching about him last week as well. Don't know how he keeps getting games.

Jep

Somewhere between Manchester and the shithole
Such a nothing ref. 3 blatant penos today. Mata with a blatant dive just in front of him. Arsene was bitching about him last week as well. Don't know how he keeps getting games.
Was shit and didnt want to give us anything. Glad the linesman wasn't in the same frame of mind.

What was the third shout? There was the Mata barge, and the blatant as you'll see kick at Zlatan, but what was the other?