Film Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Mark Pawelek

A person is a sense-making machine and these things help to create meaning. Shared experience and all that. Not sure I really agree tbh.
"Shared experience" - what is that? My experience is individual. I admit that meaning is constrained and made by language but, even then, we try to make new meaning with new words, metaphors, sentences, stories. Movies try to impose their meanings on us. At the end of the day, it's up to individuals to accept or reject the stories they tell. They are only stories. Life is lived experience.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
"One can't get meaning by proxy from art or culture" is a hell of a statement to throw out given that's how art would usually be perceived as working.

Mark Pawelek

"One can't get meaning by proxy from art or culture" is a hell of a statement to throw out given that's how art would usually be perceived as working.
The importance of art and culture in life and meaning is vastly overstated - by artists, media, and culture consumers everywhere. I threw out the statement to drag people back to reality; which for most of us consists of living = daily life, jobs, family, friendships, hobbies, civic participation, economics, politics, ...

Art and culture only appear to be more important than they are because the artefacts are enduring, communication media.

Vidyoyo

Self-confessed coffee shop chat-up expert
Awaiting a new life on an off-world colony
"Shared experience" - what is that? My experience is individual. I admit that meaning is constrained and made by language but, even then, we try to make new meaning with new words, metaphors, sentences, stories. Movies try to impose their meanings on us. At the end of the day, it's up to individuals to accept or reject the stories they tell. They are only stories. Life is lived experience.
Well, you've answered my point so I think you understand what I meant.

I also don't think you're wrong to suggest people have to be willing to take on new ideas pushed by any communication medium, and I totally agree that people can (and should) accept/reject ideas that movies offer. In fact, I'd argue that's part of the fun because the best movies are rarely passive.

It's why I can't get onboard with Marvel movies. You know what's going to happen before its even started.

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
I was watching x men apocalypse the other night as it was on tv, it looks rather dated for a film that was released only four years ago.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I was watching x men apocalypse the other night as it was on tv, it looks rather dated for a film that was released only four years ago.
That's because films that by and large succeed through visual SFX and have story lines that have been poorly written, don't fare as well

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
To be fair First Class and Days of Future Past were both made before Apocalypse and don't look dated. It's because Apocalypse was pretty shite compared to the other two.

Last edited:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
As it was the masters birthday yesterday, let’s all take a little time to think about his greatest achievement ever: making people with anime avatars really mad.