Film Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

He’s right, they are more long cartoons than movies. They are very entertaining and have great production but can’t be considered traditional movies.

)_(

Is this just 1 specific example or a wider trend though? Seems like cherrypicking.
I also saw a recent example showing the difference between the lotr fight for helm's deep versus the fight for winterfell in got's final season. Interestingly the makers of got said they actually looked at how lotr did their epic night battle. I have to assume they mean that they watched it and decided to do the exact opposite?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Thanks for sharing this. It's a trend I've noticed and commented on before but never bothered to Google it. All of these reasons make sense and I would hope they correct it because I also really don't like the trend for overly dark cinematography. Just seems pointless and going decades backward in creativity.

Just don't go on twitter.

That is pretty darn informative. Very reminiscent of the explanation of blockbuster film score convergence/homogenization.

EDIT: link included for the four people who haven't seen it
Cheers. I haven't seen that one either and it's so true.

Last edited:

0le

Making everything extremely dark is one of the most annoying trends in modern movies

Agreed. Extremely annoying, particularly if watching on a mobile device and you have to ramp up the brightness which drains further the battery.

Sweet Square

Iron Man was a character study? :lol:
It’s a Elon Musk fantasy film

It’s nice of Hollywood to prove that the Soviet censorship was the correct position.

"Handmade."

He probably spent 80% of filming in a green screen room wearing motion capture balls.
I think this stuff is just what actors have to tell themselves as they try to act next to a giant piece of foam stuck on a stick.

Eplel

Not sure about the claims of that soundtrack video, I'm pretty sure that most people will recognize and remember both the intro and the climax of Alan Silvestri's Avengers theme.

Eplel

In regards to Scorsese's criticism, he's entitled to his opinion, however

1) his comments are really disrespectful to everyone who has worked on these movies, actors, crews, producers etc. Scorsese ought to show solidarity to his peers, not put them down because
2) Scorsese himself should know better, since he has been on the receiving end of similar criticism when he was young.

Anyways, the Irishman sucked.

SuperiorXI

In regards to Scorsese's criticism, he's entitled to his opinion, however

1) his comments are really disrespectful to everyone who has worked on these movies, actors, crews, producers etc. Scorsese ought to show solidarity to his peers, not put them down because
2) Scorsese himself should know better, since he has been on the receiving end of similar criticism when he was young.

Anyways, the Irishman sucked.
Good. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Bole Top

imagine current Rashford bashing Ronnie for his performances, that's how Scorsese looks after The Wolf... and The Irishmen. it's a bit crazy that people are so invested in all this. you would think that Marvel movies are somehow preventing other directors to come up with fresh ideas and make good movies.

Superunknown

imagine current Rashford bashing Ronnie for his performances, that's how Scorsese looks after The Wolf... and The Irishmen. it's a bit crazy that people are so invested in all this. you would think that Marvel movies are somehow preventing other directors to come up with fresh ideas and make good movies.
I was agreeing with your statement until I realised that you had it the wrong way around. In this scenario, Scorsese is Ronaldo.

lsd

The Oracle

Imagine still being mad at a comment made pretty much three years ago.

Not to mention The Irishman is regarded as a great film by most critics