Martin Tyler - Best Football Commentator Ever?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Last attack now
Has to be the last roll of the dice
And it's a goal from PAUL SCHOLES
They've won it Manchester United
They've rolled the dice and the right number's come up

He didn't look happy coming forward Anelka
And he's not happy now
Because it's red in Russia
This English night in Europe is Manchester United's night

redshaw

I'd like to have the two Owens commentating together before I pass judgement.

Twisted Nerve

Tyler bores me. He waffles on about anything just so he can keep talking. And 99% of the time when a goal is scored, it takes him like 10 seconds to react to it

jungledrums

Jon Champion, Peter Drury and John Motson all personal favourites. Tyler is definitely a legend, though.

Hammerfell

Not really, maybe English, but there are some good foreign ones.

I enjoy Stewart Gardner and Paddy personally, always say what i want to hear.
They're terrible to listen to though. Gardner hasn't got the voice for commentary.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Tyler may not be the most amusing commentator but what he lacks in quantity of words he makes up in quality. Maybe there are other commentators better than him, but personally he's the one that when the stakes are high he never lets down.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Tyler is a fantastic commentator. Him and Andy Gray as a duo really enhanced some memorable moments. Tyler seemed to lose something though once Gray left. There was no one to keep him in check and concentrated 100% on the commentary.

Pires vs Villa, Ljungberg vs Liverpool and Wiltord vs United are notable highlights.

Barbara Charles

For the love of pickled beets
On an allied topic, Keys and Gray have a one hour show on Friday evenings on a satellite channel airing here in America that originates from Qatar.

Parry Gallister

Tyler's good, know he gets a lot of stick from ABUs and some regular oppo fas who see a united bias but arguably his most famous moment is the Aguero one. It's weird how the accents of commentators haven't really changed much since the '60-70's, I liked how old-school the likes of him and Tyldesley sound, not the sort of voice you hear nowdays.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Is he the one doing the Gerrard Olympiacos goal? Love him.

Zoo

He used to be good but I find that he waffles on too much now during games. He was best with Andy Gray.

Lostie007

Andy Gray should never have got sacked I miss the big Scottish numbty ! The best part was after Sunday games they would analyse each goal scored and picked up on things nobody else did.

It's like replacing Messi.. It's impossible and Sky went downhill since

He made a mistake he's fecking human ! Now the public suffers

Mr. Meeseeks

Peter Drury for me. He can make a dull game interesting. Games always seem more important somehow when he commentates

FireballXL5

Why have commentators at all? Do you really need someone to interpret what you've just seen with your own eyes?
'That was a terrific shot and what a save'....Yes, I know, I was watching it.
'And there's Barry Twat, his wife gave birth to triplets at 4am this morning. Congratulations Barry.' I don't care!!!!
'And it's live!!!!!!!!!!' Seriously? Kill 'em all.

Reactions: SteveJ

alanjohnson

The guy who did Serie A on channel 4 was the worst commentator ever. The single reason i stopped watching football italia.

Zoo

Peter Drury is unbearable. He just screams the players name whenever there is a goal scoring chance.

Member 55725

Can't stand Tyler. I'm surprised so many like him. For me he sucks the excitement out of the game. Granted, he might have his 'moments' but they only come when a romantic, predictable narrative plays out (like Vardy breaking the record against us etc.)
He doesn't concentrate enough on the game and can be very obviously biased at times.

I also really hate his "AND IT'S LIIIVE" before kick offs.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Why have commentators at all? Do you really need someone to interpret what you've just seen with your own eyes?
'That was a terrific shot and what a save'....Yes, I know, I was watching it.
'And there's Barry Twat, his wife gave birth to triplets at 4am this morning. Congratulations Barry.' I don't care!!!!
'And it's live!!!!!!!!!!' Seriously? Kill 'em all.
:lol:

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Tyler has been great commentator though a bit like Motty in his last years he's not so good anymore. I'd say Alan Parry is the best Sky commentator now.

Ian Darke is very good too. Shame BT are trying to make 'Fletch' a staple. Darke is better.
I can't stand Alan Parry. He never shuts up, he hasn't seemed to learn that sometimes great commentators know when they don't need to be talking. He fills every second of silence with completely pointless stats that add literally nothing to your viewing experience.

I think Sky's La Liga commentators are superb, and I also really like Guy Mowbray from the BBC. He does all the big England games at tournaments as well as the finals. He's fantastic.

prath92

Andy gray with his Scottish accent is what I remember having played a lot of early FIFA

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Kenneth Wolstenholme.

And here comes Hurst. He's got.... Some people are on the pitch. They think it's all over. It is now. It's four!

Kenneth was the first commentator I remember on MOTD when I was a kid. For the most part, if you didn't go to the game back then, that was the only football you got to see.

Last edited:

SirAF

Ageist
I really loved some of the soundbites from Clive Tyldesley in the 2008 CL final

"United again!"

"Ooooooh he's missed it! Ronaldo reprieved."

"Wet and windy, a home away from home for the all English final"

Phil

I watched the Leicester game in Portugal

Pros:
Go batshit crazy over a goal

Cons:
Talk over the whole game nonstop, literally nonstop.

Portuguese commentators.