Martin Tyler - Best Football Commentator Ever?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I think he just gets too wrapped up in trying to create narratives and write headlines, not that he has any particular bias against any team.
This. He seems picks a team he wants to win the game either before hand or during the game and he runs with it. Sometimes he wants our opposition to win. Sometimes he doesn't. I don't think he dislikes anyone. He likes a story.

He's a Woking fan anyway, isn't he?

decorativeed

Have you convinietnaly forgotten him jizzing himself senseless when Martial scored the winner against Liverpool not long ago ?
As I might have already mentioned in this thread, I talked to Martin Tyler about that and the amount of stick he got for it, not least from Liverpool fans.

It's obvious that a commentator would be more positive about the underdog - especially when they were far and away the better side today. The guy can't win. To be fair to him, it is water off a duck's back this stage in his career.

Devil may care

His constant moaning over their disallowed goal was irritating but just how sad he sounded when we scored really showed him up, it's one thing to "provide the narrative" is this fecking WWE? But to be so blatantly negative towards part of that narrative is unprofessional, you could tell Neville was trying not to bite on some of the whoppers he threw out there today, there was the awkward silent moments.

AXVnee7

There's no bias against us. Have people forgotten the 'OH YESSSS'.

Even in Pogba's first game against Southampton ironically he was at it again. I remember Pogba turned and had a decent effort, but nothing special but it was called as 'POGBAAAA'...

Raw

He's a guy who loves story lines in football. He wanted Southampton to win because, lets face it, everyone but United fans wanted the same. It would have been a nice moment for a club that hasn't seen success in a long long time.

He also went fecking mental at Martial scoring on his debut against Liverpool because of how unknown he was and how the press was calling him a total waste of money. Not because of any bias.

Boycott

He's paid to parade narratives and he obviously gets sucked into them. People get too wound up about commentators. There's no agenda ffs

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He really isn't biased. The fact that virtually every team has had a grouch with him at some stage tells its own story. Like all commentators he can be occasionally very annoying but he reads the game well and his style is good.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He's not as bad for narratives as Motson used to be: "Oh! And the 16-year-old whose mum gave him away to the rag and bone man has SCORED!!!!"

Woodzy

I usually like him but I do wonder if he would have mentioned the disallowed goal so much if he shoe was on the other foot.

R'hllor

He isnt biased imo,he just fakes a lot,doing those screams in some specific moments,so he could be remembered when he dies. Its either player`s first on debut ,some special achievement etc.

The White Pele

He's not consistently biased against any particular teams but he definitely gets more excited for goals that fit his narrative.

And today you could tell he was routing for a Southampton win with some of his comments over the 90 minutes.

bdecuc

It's not his job to make it abundantly clear who he hopes will win the game. His personal preference is irrelevant. If he can't remain objective then he shouldn't be commentating.

Josep Dowling

His entire charade on Southampton was annoying today. 'He should have The match ball' after Gabbiadini was subbed off, who knows how that game would of panned out if that counted.

However I believe he plays towards what the neutrals want, i.e United to lose today. I have read in many other places they feel he is biased towards us.

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
Brian Moore is the best British commentator... George Hamilton is my favourite overall, an absolute legend.

unitedforeveral

I totally agree and that's exactly why FIFA has managed to have their voice as commentary even in the 2017 edition. #respect

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
He was ok during the time of Sir Alex when we started winning trophies and leagues because we weren't deemed to be a threat to the Liverpool dominance, but then we were getting dangerously closer to the Pool and things began to change.

From then on ALL commentators became nervous about this United team which started on 7 Leagues won (Liverpool 18) and ended-up on 20 Leagues won etc etc , and Liverpool STILL on 18 !!

stevoc

Tyler is annoying and i can't stand listening to him anymore but i doubt he's biased as people have quite rightly pointed out he's all about creating a narrative.

Which is worse than being biased in my opinion. Commentators should just stick to calling the fecking game as they see it and stop trying to create drama.

markelphick

I like his commentary in all fairness but yesterday was blatantly obvious that he wanted Southampton to win. Bellend.

Red_Aaron

he's been bitter for years for some reason, i don't pay it any mind now

the thing that annoyed me the most about yesterdays coverage was how everyone seemed to airbursh out last years FA cup win and try to paint this as out first trophy for 50 years or something. Was glad to hear Carrick mention it in his post game interview

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
'AAAAND IT'S LIIIIIVE'. Fcuk off Martin we know.

SirHenryPercy

Supports
spurs
He's terrible like all English commentators, but there will never be a worse commentator than Alan Parry who is a complete disaster.

When you watch La Liga you realise how much better their commentators are.

Manny

Grammar Police
He's so overrated on here.

I think Peter Drury, Jon Champion and Clive Tyldesley are all better. Tyler's voice is so flat in comparison.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I don't dislike him at all, but he's a Barry Davies tribute act.

singhters

Tyler is good but for me i could not seperate these 3 John Motson, Barry Davies and Brian Moore.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
He's not biased towards anyone, he just likes picking a winner in a match and his commentary reflects the narrative he's trying to create. The problem more recently is that he doesn't just show this when discussing the game in general, but does so repeatedly when discussing specific incidents. I could understand Le Tissier going nuts at half-time about the disallowed goal, but Tyler was almost as bad on commentary and that's where I think the problem lies for a lot of people.

He went on and on about Gabbiadini's disallowed goal all game, which ended up contradicting his own statements. The goal, had it stood, would have changed the game, so to repeatedly state that Gabbiadini should have had a hat-trick was just stupid.

Everyone's initial reaction to the Stephen's challenge was that it was bad and worthy of a red. It was only after the third slow-motion replay from an angle no official would possibly have been able to view it from that it appeared to not be as bad as it first looked. Tyler then went on about United players surrounding the referee, completely ignoring that he only knew it wasn't a red thanks to a number of replays.

Later in the game he made a comment about Marriner being fair with his distribution of cards, then made a remark that basically said Lingard should have been sent off for a little trip in the middle of the pitch, when he'd completely ignored Romeu, who was also on a booking, elbowing Herrera. Instead he chose to say that United players were trying to get Romeu sent off unfairly.

After the game he made some weird comments about Pogba celebrating, calling him "PR Pogba".

He's gone bonkers enough over a number of United goals to prove that he doesn't have any real bias against us, but I think people are justified in calling him out for yesterday.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
can't stand him and his 'and it's live' when going to the last commercial before the game is one of those innocuous things that an sane adult really shouldn't get wound up about but it really really bugs me something rotten, insofar that I always try to switch channels if I'm paying attention

Judas

Open to offers
He's terrible like all English commentators, but there will never be a worse commentator than Alan Parry who is a complete disaster.

When you watch La Liga you realise how much better their commentators are.
See this just proves how it's all opinions, because for me Parry is comfortably one of the best and has been for years.

montpelier

The developing story here is that none of the last 4 posts has had the word ''narrative'' in them.