Martin Tyler - Best Football Commentator Ever?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I like Barry Davies and Brian Moore. Good voices for the job and know when less is more.

Big fan of David Begg on the radio up here - made Scottish football sound like the most exciting thing in the world when you were growing up.

Edit - here he is:

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Football commentary is something i'd love to do one day professionally. As a result, i pay a lot of attention to the commentators and what they're saying. Sometimes more than the match itself.

Of those commentating on games now, Martin Tyler and Jon Champion are my two favourites. Tyler for his knowledge of the game and i love many of his calls of the big moments that happen. Champion's BBC training is evident; doesn't talk too much during a match, speaks when he feels he needs to. Nothing wrong with silence in TV commentary. I've only Barry Davies's commentary via highlights but his commentary was also excellent.

Peter Drury gives me the absolute shits sometimes as he often tries too hard to show everybody how eloquent he thinks he is. Tony Jones has an awful voice IMO as does Stewart Gardner from MUTV. I'll give Gardner some credit, he's biased and that's a compliment as that's his job.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Thing about Tyler that I can't stand is his little catchprase that he gave himself before kickoff.

"And it's live!"

Tit.
To be fair, I'm sure it was a big deal when a game was 'live' back in the day.

Now, not so much.

He should change it to "And... it's just one of a long list of games that's live"

GazTheLegend

Clive Tyldesley was so wildly enthusiastic that it was hard not to enjoy his commentary during our Champions League games in the late 90's, but Martin Tyler is pretty damn great when he wants to be.

Generally he seems a bit bored with football these days :(

Minimalist

What's wrong with him enjoying and providing the underdog story that the neutral would be more interested in?

Some of you need to catch a grip. He's not the reason we're shite today.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
What's wrong with him enjoying and providing the underdog story that the neutral would be more interested in?

Pretty much this.

Zoo

Nobody said he was. What's wrong with being neutral?

hubbuh

I think his eagerness for a 'story' if it sullies a big club makes him tedious to listen to.

Minimalist

Nobody said he was. What's wrong with being neutral?
Nothing at all. Is that a requirement though? It's not.

He's not wearing a Southampton scarf for flip sake. He's talking about them with more enthusiasm as they are by a distance the best side in the match.

Zoo

Very snide. How dare Pogba celebrate enthusiastically.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
'He should be walking off with the match ball'

Has to be the daftest thing I've heard from a commentator in a while (that's saying something).

salford_

I dont thikn anything will beat Gray and Tyler. Was something about those two that tops the rest. I like Alan Parry too.

Also used to like Brian Moore on Champions League games, ITV

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
'He should be walking off with the match ball'

Has to be the daftest thing I've heard from a commentator in a while (that's saying something).
He kept saying that nonsense, refusing to understand that if they had gone 1-0 up, it would have massively changed the game, and they no doubt would have gone a lot more cautious.

SER19

Jeez, he's playing to the majority, I'm sure most people didn't want us to win.
To be fair there's nothing wrong with that in a sense. Suggesting the Pfa should take a stance on players behaving like Herrera, after being elbowed in the face (deliberate or not) is just weird. Suggesting that 8 united players chased the referee in the first half is as weird. Amongst other things

vodrake

It was bizarre when Stevens got yellow how he started ranting about how disgusting the United players were for surrounding the ref and just kind of ignored that it was actually quite a bad foul from the Southampton player

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
Did he call Pogba "Pogba PR" or something like that? He was really annoying today.

The worst has to be when Gabbiadini scored. "He should have a hattrick". As if if the first goal counted, all the subsequent events would've happened exactly the same.

Ekeke

It was bizarre when Stevens got yellow how he started ranting about how disgusting the United players were for surrounding the ref and just kind of ignored that it was actually quite a bad foul from the Southampton player
Same with Herrera getting elbowed in the face. Started to talk about how some professionals try to get each other sent off.

FujiVice

I thought Tyler's gushing of Zlatan after the goal was a nice touch in fairness. "I AM THE MAN!" sounded like a fecking wrestling promo.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Always bitterly biased against united for some reason. Remember when Rooney called him out for it on twitter.

vodrake

Have you convinietnaly forgotten him jizzing himself senseless when Martial scored the winner against Liverpool not long ago ?
I think he just gets too wrapped up in trying to create narratives and write headlines, not that he has any particular bias against any team.