Martin Tyler - Best Football Commentator Ever?

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I'm not sure I've ever actually seen the Aguero goal, only heard Tyler's cnut spill its juices.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Even if you truly think that, you should never admit it (especially not on a United forum to fellow reds)
Just thinking of that moment makes my stomach churn
I know but I wouldn't have reflected on it if it wasn't for the title win the following year that made up for it. Sometimes people need to suck it up.

eggwithsideburns

When your on holiday it wouldn't be the same walking past a bar without his voice booming out of it during a match.

Minkaro

I like Tyldesley and Tyler. Not a fan of Peter Drury, who seems determined to turn everything into a poetic epic.

I was watching a Blackburn/Bolton game on Sky the other day (one of their football gold things) and Kamara was commentating. That was painful. There's a few like him though, who just shout everything they're saying. There's one who does the La Liga games on Sky Sports who's the same, and that Ray Hudson too.

Mind you, I think I prefer that to Danny Murphy's style. "Talk us through that goal, Danny." "Well eventually we're all going to die, so really it's futile."

Mal donaghy

Brian Moore was the greatest there was.
Next Clyde Tyldsley only because of the Nou Camp 99 commentary.

Kag

One of the best, ay. Brilliant at his job, getting it right at big moments. He's been talking too much in recent years, though. He was never the opinionated one and it isn't his remit. It certainly wasn't when alongside Andy Gray.

Stretford End Phil

Kenneth Wolstenholme.

And here comes Hurst. He's got.... Some people are on the pitch. They think it's all over. It is now. It's four!

Kenneth was the first commentator I remember on MOTD when I was a kid. For the most part, if you didn't go to the game back then, that was the only football you got to see.
Surprisingly only there 3 years, followed by David Coleman and then Jimmy Hill.

Robertd0803

I have never seen the Aguero goal. Change the station anytime it's about to be played. One of the most depressing points as a fan.
Same here, I only found out that Balotelli passed him the ball about 2 years later when Sky had some story about him

Robertd0803

I really loved some of the soundbites from Clive Tyldesley in the 2008 CL final

"United again!"

"Ooooooh he's missed it! Ronaldo reprieved."

"Wet and windy, a home away from home for the all English final"
Every quote still gives goosebumps. My favourite United match of all time (so far).

I think Martin Tyler is better depending on who his partner is. Tyler and Gary Neville are a great pair while Tyler and Alan Smith not so much.

I like Tyler (Aguero and Gerrard shit quotes aside) but he lost some of the appeal when Suarez returned from one of his many suspensions against us in the Carling Cup and you could tell he was dying for Suarez to score against us. He lost a step without Andy Gray as well-understandable though.

Guy Mowbrays pretty good and would give him the nod to be honest.

Sorry about the 2 posts back to back, not sure how to include a quote when editing the above post.

Trizy

Martin Tyler is the man. He speaks well, the pace of his narrative is attractive, he does not go phony crazy over trivial matters (as American announcers in other sports so often do), and does not aimlessly chatter when he has nothing to say. Legend. King.
Good summary.

Frank Grimes

I've always thought Tyler was an excellent commentator. Others I've liked are Barry Davies, Brian Moore, Clive Tyldesley and Alan Parry. Ian Darke is decent too. Never liked Motson, always annoyed me with his faux surprise at every little incident.

worcesterred

Tyler has been great commentator though a bit like Motty in his last years he's not so good anymore. I'd say Alan Parry is the best Sky commentator now.

Ian Darke is very good too. Shame BT are trying to make 'Fletch' a staple. Darke is better.
Absolutely not. He is so far up the arse of LFC it is as if I'm watching LFC TV whenever he's commentating.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Barry Davies will always be the best. Knew when to talk, and when to be quiet. Commentators today just talk too much.

Simple but with gravitas:

But Martin Tyler is great.

decorativeed

I met Martin Tyler last year with my work and had a good chat with him for half an hour or so. He was very nice indeed and was at pains to mention he's a Woking fan, despite all the Liverpool fans saying otherwise. You couldn't wish to talk to someone more clued up about the game.

Erebus

I have always, always disliked Martin Tyler. Can't stand him and will turn the commentary off of it's him. Anyone - and I mean anyone - but him.

Manny

Grammar Police
I can't stand Tyler and I'm surprised at the love in.

I think Tyler has just become synonymous with recent big moments because he's the lead guy at Sky. It could just as easily have been Motson as the "best ever".

I prefer Clive Tyldesley. Him, along with Ron Atkinson, back in the old ITV CL nights was great.

Dir Wangem

Maybe it's because I'm not British, but I always liked Tyler and Gray. I don't know if it's because their voices are so iconic and familiar, but I always liked them(as commentators, not human beings).

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
You would say that, OP. A lot of my mates say there's no way Tyler isn't a United fan, and they have a point at times.

I personally just think he's extremely passionate. See the Aguerooooooo goal.

thejtrain

I like Clive and Andy better but Tyler's alright. The Americans are the worst. Don't even get me started on Ray Hudson! To think some people actually like him. :eek:

TsuWave

I have never seen the Aguero goal. Change the station anytime it's about to be played. One of the most depressing points as a fan.
i was at work, one of my coworkers burst through the door and said "city scored again" i said feck off and kept smiling thinking he was on a wum but he was like "no, seriously", pulled out my phone and my knees got so weak. i remember that moment so perfectly. it really hurt, like physically. i've despised qpr ever since.

Gazza

Tyler was at his best around mid/late 1990s and up to about 2004 when he started aging a bit; sounding tired except for perking up to say AND IT'S LIVE!!! or for some classic tv montage moment. But at his best none close to him, wonderful style and voice and let's the game speak for itself.

BaguetteBoy

Same here. Don't think I'll ever see it feels sick just think about it.

Tyler is up there with the best of them remember him shouting "Cantonaaaaaaa" vs Liverpool FA cup final 1996. Shivers

Zen

Get a grip, it's Ray Hudson and his love affairs with Argentine 10's.

The Hilton

Tyler is a terrible commentator mostly, every match he's trying to weave a certain narrative given to him by his bosses, and he sounds completely dejected if it doesn't go that way. On the occasions that it does he gets to make a big song and dance of it, hence his being associated with so many big moments, but there are so many matches he just annoys the hell outta me.

He's there to commentate on the match, not tell me what he wants to happen or what would make the best story. I'd take Tyldesley over him every day of the week.

Minkaro

I can't stand Tyler and I'm surprised at the love in.

I think Tyler has just become synonymous with recent big moments because he's the lead guy at Sky. It could just as easily have been Motson as the "best ever".

I prefer Clive Tyldesley. Him, along with Ron Atkinson, back in the old ITV CL nights was great.
Motson? He sounds like a startled Dalek. Can't stand him.

Ixion

Tyler is good. Tyldesley and Motson are parodies of themselves at this point.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Same here. I know roughly what the goal is like (as, with the amount its shown, you often end up changing the channel and catch a glimpse of it) but I've never seen the full move or goal play out.