Martin Tyler | Retiring

Chief123

Excellent news. Peter Drury and Clive Tyldsley are the two best in my opinion.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I'd forgotten who he was for some reason, but I definitely recognise the voice.

PoTMS

Hopefully TNT bring in Clive Tyldesley. Tyler was inoffensive, if not boring, but I can't stomach any more of Darren Fletcher.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Fletch is actually quite good I think
I always thought he was good om that Fletch and Sav show they had on BT years back. Has turned into a dreadful commentator though, nowhere near good enough to be the main man for a broadcaster.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Tyler had a preference for Liverpool I’m convinced of it, so glad to see him gone. Magic went with Andy Gray.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I missed this announcement at first... Drury can be a bit "red-top tabloid" at times but I think Sky probably needed a change and Tyler must have had as long a stint as some of the best from the BBC of days gone by (Coleman: the GOAT for me, Motson and Barry Davies. Probably as long as ITV's Brian Moore too, who I found far too London-centric).

One or two down the pecking order at Sky will probably be a bit p*ssed off though...

Loon

:lol:
Interesting after Martin Keown's bleating Richard Keys revealed Arsenal WERE always Tyler's favourites.

No shit.

J2J

Just heard his commentary for the Amad goal, couldn't have sounded more disinterested.

RORY65

Yeah, it was pathetic couldn’t hide his disappointment.
Liverpool fans regularly accused him of sounding disappointed about their goals in recent years, I just think he's not the commentator he used to be and the energy isn't as high as it used to be which is understandable given his age. He was born 2 months after John Motson and Motson seemed like he was losing it by the mid 2000s, it's a testament to Tyler that he's still better than a lot of commentators even now albeit nowhere near as good as he used to be.

Chairman Steve

Interesting after Martin Keown's bleating Richard Keys revealed Arsenal WERE always Tyler's favourites.

No shit.
Listen to his reaction to that scrappy Wiltord goal at OT in 01/02 and someone tell me with a straight face he’s not a gooner.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Liverpool fans regularly accused him of sounding disappointed about their goals in recent years, I just think he's not the commentator he used to be and the energy isn't as high as it used to be which is understandable given his age. He was born 2 months after John Motson and Motson seemed like he was losing it by the mid 2000s, it's a testament to Tyler that he's still better than a lot of commentators even now albeit nowhere near as good as he used to be.
He's been like that for ages and ages, I'd say since about 2010. The only goal he got animated for since then is the Aguero one and that was more for the Sky soundbite.

The one that will always stand out to me is Valencias goal at the Emirates in 2011/12 in the 2-1 win. He sounded like he genuinely didn't know a goal had been scored. It was bizarre. I wonder if there's a video out there

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Apparently he isn't actually in the stadiums these days, he is doing it from a studio. Would be hard to fake the enthusiasm when you're not actually there and have to pretend like you are. Plus he is 78. Just retire, man.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He's been like that for ages and ages, I'd say since about 2010. The only goal he got animated for since then is the Aguero one and that was more for the Sky soundbite.

The one that will always stand out to me is Valencias goal at the Emirates in 2011/12 in the 2-1 win. He sounded like he genuinely didn't know a goal had been scored. It was bizarre. I wonder if there's a video out there
You don't have to go back that far, when we beat Arsenal at home last season it was like somebody had died.

Mike Smalling

Just listened to his commentary for the goals. I honestly don’t hear bias - he just seems to be too old to do the job.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Who does he work for these days?
He has been working for the international FA Cup feed for as long as I can remember. You get him whenever the local broadcasters can't be arsed to have their own commentators (which thankfully isn't often when the big teams are involved).

RORY65

That's probably fair but he was still better than most for a long time, I'd still take him over the commentators on BT. My main issue was with the accusation that he has some conscious or unconscious bias, I think the energy has just gone from him in recent years.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Apparently he isn't actually in the stadiums these days, he is doing it from a studio. Would be hard to fake the enthusiasm when you're not actually there and have to pretend like you are. Plus he is 78. Just retire, man.
He was on commentary for Sportsnet on the game today here in Canada.

His energy or lack thereof for all seven goals was quite something to behold. I think he’s close to being done.

RedDevilQuebecois

Just heard his commentary for the Amad goal, couldn't have sounded more disinterested.
I heard it too. Gee, what was that?

Apparently he isn't actually in the stadiums these days, he is doing it from a studio. Would be hard to fake the enthusiasm when you're not actually there and have to pretend like you are.
It's a silly way of broadcasting a match if that is true. There is just no way you can do proper live commentary unless you smell the grass. He should just call it a day.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’ve put on the FA Cup highlights on their official Youtube & the guy just simply doesn’t have it. Not sure he ever did but he certainly doesn’t anymore.

Given how exciting a game it was he’s not captured the emotions at all.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I want to hear Peter Drury's over the top commentary. You just know he was at home reciting a soliloquy.