Martin Tyler

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I remember that game, 2-1 win Welbeck scored the winner, and you're absolutely right.

I assumed it was disallowed for some reason, he just went completely silent for about 7 or 8 seconds as Valencia ran off celebrating. It was bizarre, your reasoning as to why could be true.

I've always had the suspicion though he's an Arsenal fan. He fecking loves them.
He is an Arsenal fan.

IrishRedDevil

He never shuts his gub even for a few seconds. He’s so relentless. All his sentences just seem to merge and he try’s to make a story out of everything.

Moonwalker

Cringe fecker, all he does is talk, which usually just amounts to him using words and sentences. No idea why he feels the need to go all verbal and stuff. Hardly ever shuts up, except when he has a co-commentator. I don't understand it, what is it with commentators? It's like they have this compulsion to have a comment about everything.

The funniest thing about him is that sometimes he won't even cheer on the same team that I'm supporting, that's when he's at his worst if I'm honest. The sheer unwillingness to align with me emotionally is just outrageous, as if he's doing it on purpose. I bet he's a Chelsea fan at heart. All the contradictory and self canceling evidence points to that conclusion.

DBT85

I do hope everyone also dislikes Peter Dreary too.

Shades of red on this blue blue day
Reached so high he touched the sky (was still on the ground)
etc etc

Eriku

Cringe fecker, all he does is talk, which usually just amounts to him using words and sentences. No idea why he feels the need to go all verbal and stuff. Hardly ever shuts up, except when he has a co-commentator. I don't understand it, what is it with commentators? It's like they have this compulsion to have a comment about everything.

The funniest thing about him is that sometimes he won't even cheer on the same team that I'm supporting, that's when he's at his worst if I'm honest. The sheer unwillingness to align with me emotionally is just outrageous, as if he's doing it on purpose. I bet he's a Chelsea fan at heart. All the contradictory and self canceling evidence points to that conclusion.
This :lol:

You’ll find the same criticisms among fans of other clubs too. Quite the trick.

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan

etc etc
Nah. Drury's commentary on Roma vs Barca will go down in folklore.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
The biggest complaint I have about Martin Tyler is that he's generally very boring nowadays. Makes the game sound less exciting than it actually is. Have never found him particularly biased.

I think Peter Drury is very good at hyping up moments in the game.

automaticflare

Honestly I think every fan thinks he hates their team......
Don’t think it is true really just think commentators in general are idiots

RochaRoja

etc etc
Drury is THE WORST.

He’s the main commentator for the PL’s international feed (and during FIFA tournaments) so I’ve probably heard “in a trice!” “In a flash!” and “he got big!” about 500 times in the past year alone.

DBT85

Drury is THE WORST.

He’s the main commentator for the PL’s international feed (and during FIFA tournaments) so I’ve probably heard “in a trice!” “In a flash!” and “he got big!” about 500 times in the past year alone.
Finally someone else gets it!

Incidentally I broadcast the international feed from London to the whole planet so I have to hear it all the time!

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

etc etc
When he tries to show the world just how eloquent he is, i find him annoying as feck. Shame he's not going to USA instead of Jon Champion, who understands that less is more.

Chairman Steve

Tylers pretty normal when he’s doing commentary for anyone other than Sky. I think Sky instruct him to go OTT with it, like football is some kind of soap opera or WWE programming.

And yeah if you’re remember the early naughties, there’s so many times that he climaxed to Henry goals. That alone would scream to you he’s a gooner.

stevoc

Tyler needs to retire he spends too much time regurgitating stats, trying to tempt fate and creating a narrative instead of just commentating on the game he's watching.

Bring back 1960's style commentators i say, all business no drama. Or better yet give us an option to turn the annoying feckers off.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Tyler needs to retire he spends too much time regurgitating stats, trying to tempt fate and creating a narrative instead of just commentating on the game he's watching.

Bring back 1960's style commentators i say, all business no drama. Or better yet give us an option to turn the annoying feckers off.
This, but I don't think it's a problem exclusive to Martin Tyler. It seems all commentators are fed stats either before or throughout a game. Any pause in play now seems to be some sort of stat about the last time the away team won on this ground, or exactly how many minutes a player has gone without scoring.

And why do we need two co-commentators alongside the main commentator anyway? Plus Sky will usually have Carragher or Redknapp watching the game somewhere else in the ground, and they'll cut to them to give their opinion. It's all a bit OTT.

There definitely needs to be an option to switch it off. BBC used to have it via the red button during internationals. I don't know why that didn't catch on. Most people who watch football don't really need to be told what's happening.

stevoc

This, but I don't think it's a problem exclusive to Martin Tyler. It seems all commentators are fed stats either before or throughout a game. Any pause in play now seems to be some sort of stat about the last time the away team won on this ground, or exactly how many minutes a player has gone without scoring.

And why do we need two co-commentators alongside the main commentator anyway? Plus Sky will usually have Carragher or Redknapp watching the game somewhere else in the ground, and they'll cut to them to give their opinion. It's all a bit OTT.

There definitely needs to be an option to switch it off. BBC used to have it via the red button during internationals. I don't know why that didn't catch on. Most people who watch football don't really need to be told what's happening.
Yeah the Spurs game was odd as feck last week, Redknapp only spoke every 10-15 minutes. Having him there was pointless two commentators is enough.

Before long it will be 4-5-6 commentators, and then we'll have to see all their faces in boxes around the screen.

cyberman

Bring back Fan Cam is all I'll say.
I'll watch a RAWK poster melt as City claw them back any day over Martin Tyler.

Judas

Open to offers
Tylers pretty normal when he’s doing commentary for anyone other than Sky. I think Sky instruct him to go OTT with it, like football is some kind of soap opera or WWE programming.

And yeah if you’re remember the early naughties, there’s so many times that he climaxed to Henry goals. That alone would scream to you he’s a gooner.
He's not though, I expect that myth has already been debunked in this thread already!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Well doesn't he claim to support Woking or something like that?

I thought he used to pretend he didn't support Arsenal. The same way that fat cnut Alan Green used to pretend he didn't support Liverpool.
He's not an Arsenal fan. Think it's because like a lot of pundits and journos, the admiration for Wenger went over the top a bit which gave the impression that they were fans.

He's a lifelong Woking fan and on their board. Actually as someone from Surrey, he should support Utd if the myth is to be believed

Tiber

Might be the only one on here, but I think he is great and will miss him dearly when he retires

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's not an Arsenal fan. Think it's because like a lot of pundits and journos, the admiration for Wenger went over the top a bit which gave the impression that they were fans.

He's a lifelong Woking fan and on their board. Actually as someone from Surrey, he should support Utd if the myth is to be believed
I support Woking and United, definitely true.

Red Devil Rising

Spoke to him on the phone whilst working for a bank.

Was really bizarre having a conversation with this voice that I only ever hear on TV/FIFA.

Hope he sorted out his HMRC issue :houllier:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yeah the Spurs game was odd as feck last week, Redknapp only spoke every 10-15 minutes. Having him there was pointless two commentators is enough.

Before long it will be 4-5-6 commentators, and then we'll have to see all their faces in boxes around the screen.
BT Sport do that now and again. It's usually Steve McManaman screaming about something from the studio.

I remember in the Moyes season when we got a penalty from an Ashley Young dive, I think it was against Palace at home, McManaman was seething. He ranted all through half time about it, and then in the 2nd half, his face appears in a box on the screen just screaming the same things he said at half time.

Haven't seen that for a while. Hopefully it doesn't make a comeback.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
BT Sport do that now and again. It's usually Steve McManaman screaming about something from the studio.

I remember in the Moyes season when we got a penalty from an Ashley Young dive, I think it was against Palace at home, McManaman was seething. He ranted all through half time about it, and then in the 2nd half, his face appears in a box on the screen just screaming the same things he said at half time.

Haven't seen that for a while. Hopefully it doesn't make a comeback.
Yep I remember that. BT sport have tried to reinvent the wheel a few times but more often than not it fails.

The "ask the ref" in the game often blows up in their faces, I remember once there was a pen and the ref said "no contact, looking for a pen clear dive". They showed a replay from a different angle and it was a stone wall pen :lol: The ref had to backtrack a few minutes later. So stupid.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I dislike most of these commentators and pundits as they are biased against us and also Liverpool lackeys.

Even Gary is a big disappointment.

ChaddyP

Drury is THE WORST.

That's the feed I get too and i totally agree :lol:

Chairman Steve

He's not though, I expect that myth has already been debunked in this thread already!
I’m pretty sure I remember he wrote a book or contributed to a book detailing the history of Arsenal. I’d say someone who isn’t an official journalist who writes for a specific team has some degree of fondness for them.

This Tyler thing is like in Scotland, where Chick Young says he’s a St Mirren fan even though everyone up there knows hes a Rangers fan to the point it’s parodied on an annual basis when Only An Excuse rolls around.

FujiVice

Sounded like he was shitting out a kidney for both of our goals. Bitter old twat.

Minimalist

I always believe he just loves the story and that explains his excitement for certain goals/teams.

But surely us winning tonight is the major story? Why did he sound so disappointed that Lukaku scored? :lol:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It was really odd listening to him for the two goals. Here I am losing my mind and I almost felt like I was being hushed and reminded I’m at a funeral by Martin Tyler

ChaddyP

I always believe he just loves the story and that explains his excitement for certain goals/teams.

But surely us winning tonight is the major story? Why did he sound so disappointed that Lukaku scored? :lol:
i actually wasnt sure we had based on his reaction :lol: