Gaming Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
How's free roam? Worth playing just for that?
The traversal is superb. You can spend a long time just swinging around and when you get a certain rhythm going it's bliss. It's easy to pick up, but there's a little learning curve to the swinging just in terms of perfecting it and making it as smooth as possible.

Not sure if i would say it's worth buying JUST for that. There's other aspects of the game that's also very good.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The traversal is superb. You can spend a long time just swinging around and when you get a certain rhythm going it's bliss. It's easy to pick up, but there's a little learning curve to the swinging just in terms of perfecting it and making it as smooth as possible.

Not sure if i would say it's worth buying JUST for that. There's other aspects of the game that's also very good.
My big fear is that (apart from swinging) free roam will be limited.

With quite a short story mode, free roam needs to be excellent. Especially as an open world game, there needs to be a lot to do.

Think I will wait

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

With quite a short story mode, free roam needs to be excellent. Especially as an open world game, there needs to be a lot to do.

Think I will wait
Well there is a lot to do, but it's whether you enjoy the things there is to do is the question i suppose.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The swinging is real fun once you get it down. I’m enjoying collecting everything for once in a game. I’ve already got 40
backpacks and visiting the landmarks is great fun too. Makes it cooler since I’ve visited NYC now so I recognise a lot of the places.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Still struggling with people with guns. I’ve got the perk where I can yank it out of their hands and smash it back at them but it takes ages. While you’re doing that there’s another guy shooting at you. Thinking of changing suits to the bulletproof one but for now I just use the one Doc made because I can heal pretty much fully once it’s ready.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The swinging is real fun once you get it down. I’m enjoying collecting everything for once in a game. I’ve already got 40
backpacks and visiting the landmarks is great fun too. Makes it cooler since I’ve visited NYC now so I recognise a lot of the places.
Yeah that's something i was saying above. The swinging is easy to get into, but there's a learning curve to getting it nailed down. But it's so good when you do, that i don't mind getting all the towers (which i would normally hate).

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I believe dodging is key when someone shoots you as there's a marker (heard this in various pods). And later you get moves which allow you to combat it much easier with pure agilitty.

siw2007

Loving it so far. It's kind of addictive, I always want to play another 10 minutes or so and Im still at it 45min later. Enemies are quite difficult at times, I tend to get by by spamming the circle button to avoid bullets but the brutes are still getting me.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Having a lot of fun just swinging around NYC & using the photo mode.

Jacob

Why the feck is a digital copy more expensive than a physical copy? Doesn't make sense, not even for the extra comfort of getting it without leaving the house

pascell

It's taking all my will power not to go and buy this. Looks stunning but with their dlc being similar to Arkham Knight I might wait until a GoTY edition. Also doubt I'd have time to finish it before RDR2 and that is definitely a day 1 purchase.
RDR2 I'll be getting on day 1, I seriously can't wait for that.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

Think I will wait
It's basically inFamous/Prototype meets Batman Arkham games. I'm going to get bored of it quickly, but that's more due to me not really having the attention span for this kind of game than the game itself which is decent enough plus these things can't really help getting repetitive fast. The swinging is fun and well done though, I've had a blast with that part so far.

Luckily for me it's not a waste because my Mrs loves these kinds of games, so I get to enjoy it whilst I do and not be disappointed to stop.

Art Vandelay

Is it a better Spiderman game than the Catwoman sections of Arkham City? I'd have taken a chance if Shadow of the Tomb Raider wasn't out this week. I'll wait for game of the year edition now and get all the DLC with it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why the feck is a digital copy more expensive than a physical copy? Doesn't make sense, not even for the extra comfort of getting it without leaving the house
Keeps the shops who sell physical copies from becoming redundant.

DWelbz19

Anyone a little deep into the story yet? Is it still holding up as strongly after the initial few hours?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Anyone a little deep into the story yet? Is it still holding up as strongly after the initial few hours?
I’m kinda a decent way in. It’s kept me interested but I’ve also been doing a lot of the collectibles. The research labs are always a bit different so it’s been switching it up a lot so far. Not too repetitive yet.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I’m kinda a decent way in. It’s kept me interested but I’ve also been doing a lot of the collectibles. The research labs are always a bit different so it’s been switching it up a lot so far. Not too repetitive yet.
I think it's important to switch things up so you don't get too fatigued with one particular thing. Personally i've been doing some story missions mixed with some side quests to keep things fresh.

DWelbz19

Is that even in Sony's interest?
What Damo said. Plus, if we’re being a little pessimistic they have no impetus to lower prices. There’s no digital competition - they won’t have to worry about ‘stock’ compared to stores and their need to sell out.

Plus, you’re paying the convienience tax.

Jacob

What Damo said. Plus, if we’re being a little pessimistic they have no impetus to lower prices. There’s no digital competition - they won’t have to worry about ‘stock’ compared to stores and their need to sell out.

Plus, you’re paying the convienience tax.
Think the impulse to buy games is stronger online. If you go full digital you can lower prices and increase volume and hopefully (for them) profit too. Lower prices doesn't have to be bad for the seller.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Meh, I remember the days when they said that physical copies are so high because of manufacturing and shelf space and digital would be cheaper. Now we have this.

The answer is of course greed and nothing more. Sony don't give a shit about game stores, no one does in this day and age. It's all because they know people will take the convenience then they can eventually offer some deal to make you think you are getting a bargain somewhere down the line.

But then stores like Game are utterly trash shitehawks that rip people off at every opportunity, so whilst I miss going in to shops and actually buying things on release, I won't miss the likes of them.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Did Spiderman kill people? I see lots of thugs getting thrown off buildings, ledges. Having big, heavy objects thrown at them. Also a bit weird that nobody ever seems to be hurt, they can have cars, huge chunk of concrete all kinds of shit and yet they all just walk away. :lol:

It's pretty stupid. But looks beautiful and fun to play. Just moments like the above take you out of the immersion at times.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Did Spiderman kill people? I see lots of thugs getting thrown off buildings, ledges. Having big, heavy objects thrown at them. Also a bit weird that nobody ever seems to be hurt, they can have cars, huge chunk of concrete all kinds of shit and yet they all just walk away. :lol:

It's pretty stupid. But looks beautiful and fun to play. Just moments like the above take you out of the immersion at times.
He’s a radioactive spider man.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Did anyone catch a pretty obvious GTA IV Easter egg in this? Was quite fun.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Really fun game, loving all the upgrades and extras you can unlock. Finally I feel like I have a game that I enjoy that feels like a proper PS4 game, almost all my other games I (barely) play are remastered from PS3... looks amazing on the PS4 Pro, bring on Red Dead 2!!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve gotten so good at the fighting mechanics now. Smoothly just taking out 15 guys without even getting hit sometimes. Learnt to dodge the bullets and rockets and use the wheel better and now it’s great fun. The swinging too is perfect and you can land exactly where you want. I could imagine it would be easy to have it where you could often overshoot or something but it’s so well done.

cj_sparky

Had to reinstall keep getting an error code, was enjoying swinging around New York :(

predator

Youth NITK
How big is the freeroam area? Is it the whole of Manhattan? And also are the buildings like for like, featuring the freedom tower, 432 park avenue etc? I've just been watching a few clips of it on YouTube and I'm probably going to drive yo the nearest shop and buy it tomorrow as I have the day off work.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Just got it and it’s absolutely brilliant besides the fact I’m pretty shit at it so far. Getting punched in the face or not being able to get past a wall is all too common.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How big is the freeroam area? Is it the whole of Manhattan? And also are the buildings like for like, featuring the freedom tower, 432 park avenue etc? I've just been watching a few clips of it on YouTube and I'm probably going to drive yo the nearest shop and buy it tomorrow as I have the day off work.
It’s not a like for like copy but it’s pretty close. I don’t live there but I visited last year and the landmarks are pretty much where I’d expect them to be. The freedom tower seems to either be moved more to the coast or just not there, haven’t figured it out yet. They’ve added other canon shit like the Avengers tower.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Really enjoying this so far - as others have said it feels fantastic swinging through NYC - the controls are absolutely on-point.

The combat itself feels very fluid and satisfying - much has been said about how it riffs off of Batman's combat, and while it certainly does, it has been altered to better reflect the differences between the superheroes - Spider-Man is much more agile and the combat feels faster and more responsive as a result.

What I like about both of these elements is that there is depth to them - both in the moves available to you and the control you can gain from mastering the timing.

Tasks that are a chore in some open world games - such as climbing towers to reveal the map, are actually fun because of how it feels to traverse the map!

Would definitely recommend it - plus it looks fantastic - especially on the Pro.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Did a few main story missions then my ocd got the better of me and I felt the need to do all the tower unlocks and open up the map properly.

The combat is really fluid and just the right level of difficulty. Took me 3 attempts to do one of the construction sites last night but felt like a boss when I finally pulled it off. I need to remember to use my gadgets more though like the web blaster etc... as when I'm in the middle of ruck I tend to default to dodge, web, punch/kick combos with the odd double shoulder use of the the environment thrown in for good measure.

Assume there's no time limit to do the main missions (?) as it's telling me I need to stop the Shocker at the moment but I just wanna go swinging about and looking for backpacks.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Did a few main story missions then my ocd got the better of me and I felt the need to do all the tower unlocks and open up the map properly.

The combat is really fluid and just the right level of difficulty. Took me 3 attempts to do one of the construction sites last night but felt like a boss when I finally pulled it off. I need to remember to use my gadgets more though like the web blaster etc... as when I'm in the middle of ruck I tend to default to dodge, web, punch/kick combos with the odd double shoulder use of the the environment thrown in for good measure.

Assume there's no time limit to do the main missions (?) as it's telling me I need to stop the Shocker at the moment but I just wanna go swinging about and looking for backpacks.
From what I have read, you are free to move through the story at your own pace - which I like. I'm wanting to unlock the towers first too - and then get backpacks when they are closeby to them. Of course - when I hear there is an emergency I head to that - as I feel bad if I don't respond!

One thing I really like is the variety of suits that you can unlock. I particularly like that you can mix and match the suit powers - so the Classic suit has the Web Blossom power which is very powerful - it's good that you can apply that to any suit you like. And when you switch suits, it keeps the power and modifiers that you have active - nice touch.