5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDFC Manager

Think he can improve his heading for sure, regardless of the current level he's at. Remember how hard Rooney worked at it and subsequently how good he became at it?

dabeast

In the Bournemouth post-match thread, I hypothesised that Mason may be an alien but have modified it to include the possibility that he may be a robot designed to make a mockery of football and that he should be tested. Here is the theory with evidence:-

1. For his 2nd goal, Mason tried (I can't remember others even trying except Rooney's useless keeper chipping tic) to shoot in the top opposite corner while dribbling away from the goal. The last person I remember doing this was Maradona's 2nd goal against Belgium in the 1986 World Cup. Comparing the two, Maradona's dribbling degree of difficulty was higher but Mason's shooting degree of difficulty was far higher (Understat rates the xG at 0.11).
2. Mason is 18 and seems to not have the yips at all. This is not human, since the GOAT candidates Messi and Ronaldo were not cool at all in front of goal at that age. Even Rooney, who developed faster, was not a great finisher at that age.
3. Mason's holdup and linkup play is probably better than any other forward at our club.
4. Mason's passing is the least heralded part of his game, but at 0:28 and 1:35 in this comp (the 2nd with his supposedly weaker foot), he makes passes into the stride of his teammates that set off counterattacks that his teammates (first Rashford and then Fred) fail to execute properly.
5. Lastly, Mason (unlike Rashford) seems to not possess pace or endurance because he seldom uses it. However, in the above comp at 1:35 (in the second half) he is back deep in his half doing defensive work. He steals the ball and starts running upfield with it. The defender is chasing him but Mason runs just fast enough past the half-line to make sure he separates from the defender and then plays the pass cited above.

Taken together, Mason's qualities seem to not fit with what I have seen in biological human creations, so must conclude that he is either an alien or a robot and, when favourably compared to Maradona, Messi and CR7, is making a mockery of the game at 18. While it would be great if this were to remain a secret since he plays for Utd, I feel it is not fair to his opponents and there is also the possibility that petrodollar clubs will get wind of this and make their own robots. Hence, I would ask that he be tested and a governor placed on his capabilities.

Lj82

I particularly like how after scoring our first goal, he showed no emotion and just started jogging back to the center circle. He understands the big picture that we only just equalised and it's not time to celebrate yet

meamth

I particularly like how after scoring our first goal, he showed no emotion and just started jogging back to the center circle. He understands the big picture that we only just equalised and it's not time to celebrate yet
More like scoring one goal doesn't faze him, he is building his confidence to normalize that feeling.

Hopefully the Premier league will be his playground soon!

DoomSlayer

I honestly think Greenwood can be the perfect inside forward for us in the future. Could play both on the left and the right because he literally has no weak foot.

I don't actually want to see him being moulded into a pure striker, that would limit his potential, in my opinion. He can be an incredible attacking player in a fluid front 3. :drool:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I honestly think Greenwood can be the perfect inside forward for us in the future. Could play both on the left and the right because he literally has no weak foot.

I don't actually want to see him being moulded into a pure striker, that would limit his potential, in my opinion. He can be an incredible attacking player in a fluid front 3. :drool:
I agree, in terms of hold up play we definately play from the back and look less to bomb it up forward. But you can start plays from anywhere and when you have people who can spread the play it's better to keep the defenders guessing. Greenwood is a very good finisher but he's also a very good player who I would much prefer to see floating about the place. He would still get many goals. The fact that he don't even have to beat the defender is really good. He's not like an Owen type though he can be as deadly. Not sure about his heading but I feel the games changed so much and we can attack from all angles.

He could very much be a messi type (not messi) but someone who isn't either or. If he plays in the central role, it don't really matter. For me, we should be looking at being as fluid as possible and I think Oles looking at that too because we play out from the back a lot. I think we don't want to play the typical way of a main striker and in truth it don't matter where he plays. The most important thing is to get the ball into areas where we can pull teams apart. And that's why I really like the fact, he can beat people for pace and get in behind but because he can go either side, defenders will back off and he will get his shot off.

Strelok

Agreed.

With his shooting ability it'd be a waste to play him in the middle, between two big CB where strength is definitely not his strong point. Let him lurking around looking for the opportunity and bang. Anyway with the current tactic, no one in the trio of Rashford Martial Greenwood has actually a fixed position when attacking. And it's the best way to use them imo.

U4E

1. For his 2nd goal, Mason tried (I can't remember others even trying except Rooney's useless keeper chipping tic) to shoot in the top opposite corner while dribbling away from the goal. The last person I remember doing this was Maradona's 2nd goal against Belgium in the 1986 World Cup. Comparing the two, Maradona's dribbling degree of difficulty was higher but Mason's shooting degree of difficulty was far higher (Understat rates the xG at 0.11).
Michael Owen vs. Argentina in the 1998 World Cup.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Agreed. I don't understand the pundits obsession with saying that someday he will be a #9. The two most prolific players of the past dozen years are Messi and Ronaldo, neither of whom are strikers. It's very easy to see Greenwood becoming an Mbappe style goalscoring inside right. Why try and force him to become something else?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Greenwood is probably as fast as Mbappe, so no need to take out the pace at all.
You really think so? Genuinely question.
It's just surprising as I certainly never noticed how fast he was. I mean I know he has a bit of pace but Mbappe levels?

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
In the Bournemouth post-match thread, I hypothesised that Mason may be an alien but have modified it to include the possibility that he may be a robot designed to make a mockery of football and that he should be tested. Here is the theory with evidence:-

2. Mason is 18 and seems to not have the yips at all. This is not human, since the GOAT candidates Messi and Ronaldo were not cool at all in front of goal at that age. Even Rooney, who developed faster, was not a great finisher at that age.
3. Mason's holdup and linkup play is probably better than any other forward at our club.
4. Mason's passing is the least heralded part of his game, but at 0:28 and 1:35 in this comp (the 2nd with his supposedly weaker foot), he makes passes into the stride of his teammates that set off counterattacks that his teammates (first Rashford and then Fred) fail to execute properly.
5. Lastly, Mason (unlike Rashford) seems to not possess pace or endurance because he seldom uses it. However, in the above comp at 1:35 (in the second half) he is back deep in his half doing defensive work. He steals the ball and starts running upfield with it. The defender is chasing him but Mason runs just fast enough past the half-line to make sure he separates from the defender and then plays the pass cited above.

Taken together, Mason's qualities seem to not fit with what I have seen in biological human creations, so must conclude that he is either an alien or a robot and, when favourably compared to Maradona, Messi and CR7, is making a mockery of the game at 18. While it would be great if this were to remain a secret since he plays for Utd, I feel it is not fair to his opponents and there is also the possibility that petrodollar clubs will get wind of this and make their own robots. Hence, I would ask that he be tested and a governor placed on his capabilities.
This is quality. :lol:

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
In terms of pace, he's no where near Mbappe. He's on another level, only matched (or beaten) by Sadio Mane and Adama Traore.

pascell

It was only last week I was saying on here he's just as lethal with his right and just needs to find the confidence to back himself with his right. Damn did he do that, incredible finish with his right and at an important time for us too!

MDFC Manager

You really think so? Genuinely question.
It's just surprising as I certainly never noticed how fast he was. I mean I know he has a bit of pace but Mbappe levels?
His ball control is superb, which essentially is like having extra pace.

mav_9me

It was only last week I was saying on here he's just as lethal with his right and just needs to find the confidence to back himself with his right. Damn did he do that, incredible finish with his right and at an important time for us too!
If I'm not mistaken he has only scored 2 or 3 goals so far with his right. I have been so surprised by that. I think from now on for this season you'll see at least half of his goals will be with his right foot.

MDFC Manager

If I'm not mistaken he has only scored 2 or 3 goals so far with his right. I have been so surprised by that. I think from now on for this season you'll see at least half of his goals will be with his right foot.
The other thing is, he's been playing mostly on the right wing, so makes sense that most of his goals have tended to be left footers.

spiriticon

Still can't get over how two footed and quick-triggered he is.

To be able to smash it top bins with either foot and only half a yard of space needed...how do you stop him apart from concede a penalty or stick two men on?

Drainy

stick two men on?
Well that is the next inevitable challenge for him. Physical and crowding tactics.

Happens to all the top players. Good news is it frees space up for others and it will be good for his experience and quality if he adapts, for getting to the world class level required to play striker well for Man Utd.

DoomSlayer

Well that is the next inevitable challenge for him. Physical and crowding tactics.

Happens to all the top players. Good news is it frees space up for others and it will be good for his experience and quality if he adapts, for getting to the world class level required to play striker well for Man Utd.
Right now, you can't give more space to any of our midfielders or forwards. They all possess the quality to create chances or shoot on sight. It's beautiful. :drool:

bsCallout

I said earlier on in this thread that I've never been so sure of a player making it. Like many, I'm being proven right every game.

Ole & staff should be commended on how well they've managed him. The whole club should be, including the players, who are keeping him protected and doing there best to stop him buying into the hype.

He seems to have the one thing Rooney didn't, even though it is way to early to say he'll maintain it; Discipline.

It seems unlikely he'll be attacked like Rooney(particularly by media) either, and he's fortunate from an England standpoint to be around at a time with other talented young forwards.

Going to be a joy to watch him develop.

pascell

Yeah one in the Europa League I think it was and yesterday's.

Drainy

Right now, you can't give more space to any of our midfielders or forwards. They all possess the quality to create chances or shoot on sight. It's beautiful. :drool:
Push up the pitch, Rashford and Martial destroy the high line. Sit deep, Bruno and Pogba pass you to death and we are a long range goal threat from multiple areas. Its class, at least while the attackers are on form. Think we do need to get more depth for when the 1st 11 need to be rotated next season, but our 1st 11 is potentially a really potent team in the making.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
There are elements of Greenwood’s game that reminds me of the great Gert Müller.

Execution time (time from taking action to the ball leaves his feet)
Accuracy
Speed of the ball

Execution time

In NFL they measure how long it takes from when a QB take action until the ball leaves his hand.

It’s three steps. a) thought process b) body mechanics c) speed of your body parts

Mason Greenwood’s thought process is excellent. He react on instinct and there is nearly no time from his first thought until he starts to do something. You nearly never see him hesitate, stumble or being uncertain what to do. Mostly it’s simply 1 2 3 Bang.

It’s when I look at his body mechanics he starts to reminds me of Gert Müller. Same effortless movement when he hitting the ball. His body movements nearly always seems to be in the right angle, optimal body speed and great timing. It goes so fast but still looks so effortless. That’s sign of greatness.

Finally his accuracy is phenomenal. The combination of a “hard hitter” with accuracy is probably the most important thing for a successful striker.

I watched some YT videos of Gert Müller to refresh my memory and I must say there are similarities. I can’t give him better praise then that.

Dante

Average bang
I don't think I've ever seen Greenwood need to put his foot on the ball and stop moving.

Every player usually does that in a game. But Greenwood is one of the best I've seen at trapping the ball mid-dribble and never breaking stride.

Status
Not open for further replies.