g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Mason Greenwood image 11

Mason Greenwood England flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

eire-red

How did I know the Mbappe comparisons would be made, this is like Rashford all over again. Mason's a great young player, there's no need to compare him with anybody, especially a player like Mbappe that's a freak when it comes to performances at a young age, and was actually more well-rounded than Mason, even if we take out pace (which is as ridiculous as asking to take out dribbling from a young Messi for comparisons).

I hope the huge and deserved hype doesn't get to him too much and he keeps his feet on the ground because this really felt like his coming out party and now all the medias around the world are going to gas him up.

But one thing is for sure, United have the best 18 year old in the world right now for forwards. He is a mega asset that clubs would pay a fortune to have on their team in the near future. Whatever you say about Ole, he's done a bang up job managing him and hopefully it doesn't get him thinking about other clubs down the line.
He looks like a very grounded young lad to me, a bit like Rashford in that sense. I'm probably jumping the gun as you allude to, but watching Mason and he just has a subtlety and maturity to his game that is rare in general, never mind for teenagers.

I didn't think it came across as, 'Greenwood is better than Mbappe if you take out Mbappe's pace', moreso that often young players stand out due to that searing pace, and are given the chances, whereas Mason doesn't have that edge, he just has that raw talent and a ruthless edge.

We can't underestimate that ability off both feet either, I've never seen a player so comfortable off both feet. Regardless of what level he reaches, how good does it feel to talk about a player in a United shirt and genuinely feel that they can become one of the best in the world.

Alemar

As OGS told in the press conference, now it’s time for Mason to start getting headers in. Did he ever score a header for youth teams?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He looks like a very grounded young lad to me, a bit like Rashford in that sense. I'm probably jumping the gun as you allude to, but watching Mason and he just has a subtlety and maturity to his game that is rare in general, never mind for teenagers.

I didn't think it came across as, 'Greenwood is better than Mbappe if you take out Mbappe's pace', moreso that often young players stand out due to that searing pace, and are given the chances, whereas Mason doesn't have that edge, he just has that raw talent and a ruthless edge.

We can't underestimate that ability off both feet either, I've never seen a player so comfortable off both feet. Regardless of what level he reaches, how good does it feel to talk about a player in a United shirt and genuinely feel that they can become one of the best in the world.
I think Mason is faster than you give him credit for. He might not be the fastest out there, but with he can get past a man and with his shot accuracy he just needs a tiny bit of space to pull the trigger.

And I agree, he seems level-headed, expects to score, but this really was his coming out party, especially with the football world and media starved of content and they're all talking about him today. I have no worries that the squad will keep him grounded, but it's something to keep in mind because he's going to experience attention like never before, I'm sure he feels he's ready for it.

eire-red

I think Mason is faster than you give him credit for. He might not be the fastest out there, but with he can get past a man and with his shot accuracy he just needs a tiny bit of space to pull the trigger.

And I agree, he seems level-headed, expects to score, but this really was his coming out party, especially with the football world and media starved of content and they're all talking about him today. I have no worries that the squad will keep him grounded, but it's something to keep in mind because he's going to experience attention like never before, I'm sure he feels he's ready for it.
Yes he does have that languid running style that can be deceptive, almost akin to Bale, although Bale had an extra gear when he took off.

It will be fascinating to see how his game develops, whether he will become an all rounded attacker who can play across the front line, or a goal scoring machine like Aguero. He has the talent and footballing brain to be either.

Watching his style of play at reserve level and often he was more involved in the build up.
You have to imagine that side of his game is still to flourish at senior level and he will only improve as he continues to develop.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah I know I just think it's a load of shite :lol: football isn't a game you can measure like that it's all about individual ability and who's to say it should/shouldn't be a goal.

For me every goal Mason has scored so far are nothing "unexpected" due to his ability.
It actually can be measured. xG is by far the best predictor in football. It isn’t a matter of opinion, it has been proven true for many years.

Revan

Assumptionman
How did I know the Mbappe comparisons would be made, this is like Rashford all over again. Mason's a great young player, there's no need to compare him with anybody, especially a player like Mbappe that's a freak when it comes to performances at a young age, and was actually more well-rounded than Mason, even if we take out pace (which is as ridiculous as asking to take out dribbling from a young Messi for comparisons).

I hope the huge and deserved hype doesn't get to him too much and he keeps his feet on the ground because this really felt like his coming out party and now all the medias around the world are going to gas him up.

But one thing is for sure, United have the best 18 year old in the world right now for forwards. He is a mega asset that clubs would pay a fortune to have on their team in the near future. Whatever you say about Ole, he's done a bang up job managing him and hopefully it doesn't get him thinking about other clubs down the line.
Greenwood is probably as fast as Mbappe, so no need to take out the pace at all.

Revan

Assumptionman

He has reached the fastest speed of any player in EPL this season. Was over 37km/h.

TsuWave

He signed a contract in october until 2023 with an extra year option, feck that we need to give him an Atletico's Saul type of contract 10+ years contract, he's that good I dont want another Cristiano going to Madrid situation.
fecking hell. We’re one of the biggest clubs in the world. The kid is a Carrington product and United through and through, this isn’t some Portuguese guy we bought that always harboured dreams of playing in Spain. Have some cojones my guy. No need to be out here scared of Madrid

RUCK4444

He’s amazing, I just wish we could almost shield him from the praise and limelight.

I hope he just focussing 100% on developing into the best possible player he can be, because that would be some player.

He seems a well grounded lad though which is a good sign. Hope he has Ronaldo’s drive to improve and commitment to training.

TsuWave

Funny how the other academy kids regularly leave comments on his IG page calling him an “aim bot” :lol:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He has reached the fastest speed of any player in EPL this season. Was over 37km/h.
There you go, he's deceptively fast. I'd love to see the clip where he got clocked at that speed.

Dante

Average bang
He signed a contract in october until 2023 with an extra year option, feck that we need to give him an Atletico's Saul type of contract 10+ years contract, he's that good I dont want another Cristiano going to Madrid situation.
fecking hell. We’re one of the biggest clubs in the world. The kid is a Carrington product and United through and through, this isn’t some Portuguese guy we bought that always harboured dreams of playing in Spain. Have some cojones my guy. No need to be out here scared of Madrid
People talk about there being an 'English player premium'.

This is why it exists.

It's worth paying a little bit more for a player who doesn't put the Spanish clubs on a pedestal. In the case of Greenwood, we've not had to pay anything for the same thing.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Ole should put Michael Owens 46 Premier League goals as a teenager up on the dressing room wall as a target for this kid to tear into.
If he breaks that record United will be title winners and Greeenwood will be nailed on with mbappe as their to messi/Ronaldo era. Would require him to hit Suarez/salah/Ronaldo scoring levels next season.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
2nd goal was pure class. Defender did what he had to do, pushed him out, on his 'weak' foot. The rest was quality.

Strelok

People keep saying he's the new RVP. Yes the way he runs, his left foot is very RVP like. However his excellent hip, that tiny backlift, that exceptional accuracy and power remind me a lot of RVN. And he's naturally ambipedal. And he's fast and has a lot of flair. His football brain is excellent as well. He also grew much stronger, faster and more physically resilient after the break.

Hell he's probably the player with the biggest potential I've seen since Messi. I'm saying this not at all because he's an United player and I'm an United fan. Gonna be very dissapointed if he can't live up to his gigantic potential.

Last edited:

meamth

People keep saying he's the new VPS. Yes the way he runs, his left foot is very VPS like. However his excellent hip, that tiny backlift, that exceptional accuracy and power remind me a lot of RVN. And he's naturally ambipedal. And he's fast and has a lot of flair. His football brain is excellent as well. He also grew much stronger, faster and more physically resilient after the break.

Hell he's probably the player with the biggest potential I've seen since Messi. I'm saying this not at all because he's an United player and I'm an United fan. Gonna be very dissapointed if he can't live up to his gigantic potential.
First time I see short name for Van Persie as VPS.

Van Per Sie.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
People keep saying he's the new RVP. Yes the way he runs, his left foot is very RVP like. However his excellent hip, that tiny backlift, that exceptional accuracy and power remind me a lot of RVN. And he's naturally ambipedal. And he's fast and has a lot of flair. His football brain is excellent as well. He also grew much stronger, faster and more physically resilient after the break.

I'm not sure about the biggest potential since Messi thing. I think talents like Neymar who can do everything - rapid pace, beat defenders for fun, and score goals will always have the more pure talent. Hopefully Greenwoods application and end product elevates but I don't want to put him on such a pedestal.

I'll take him being a top striker. He doesn't need the pressure of being compared to Messi/Ronaldo and other all time greats. Just be the goalscorer you can be and the best version of yourself.

Strelok

I'm not sure about the biggest potential since Messi thing. I think talents like Neymar who can do everything - rapid pace, beat defenders for fun, and score goals will always have the more pure talent. Hopefully Greenwoods application and end product elevates but I don't want to put him on such a pedestal.

I'll take him being a top striker. He doesn't need the pressure of being compared to Messi/Ronaldo and other all time greats. Just be the goalscorer you can be and the best version of yourself.
Yeah I forgot about Neymar. However at the time of a young Neymar at Santos tbh I didn't see him becoming a world beater. I don't watch Brazillian football. And you can't trust youtube.

meamth

I don't know about being the world's best player, but I'm pretty sure he will be a 30 goals striker.

Probably Lewandowski level.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Please, lets not januzaj the boy. The hype will be through the roof now. I hope he keeps a cool head.

His shot accuracy is scary

meamth

Please, lets not januzaj the boy. The hype will be through the roof now. I hope he keeps a cool head.

His shot accuracy is scary
To be fair, the spotlight and hype around Mason is reserved until just the last week or so.

I think it's time.

SteveW

I know its a bit childish to gloat but around a year ago a lot of people thought I was crazy on here for saying this guy was basically already one of the best players in the club and soon would be one of the best in the league.

Sometimes you CAN just tell a player straight from youth football and know with almost complete certainty they will make it. Just because some people hype every random kid doesn't mean there aren't sure things. As I said at the time we are looking at a Rooney, Owen, Fabregas type who would smash it the second his body would be strong enough to play at this level.

That self indulgence aside, what a fecking player we have here. Great to see him finally smash one in with his right foot. He was almost looking a bit one footed up to now trusting his left more. He can do pretty much everything on his right that he can on his left. This should give him the confidence to start rattling them in on both sides now. Which is pretty much game over for defenders. You'd almost feel for that Bournemouth defender that purposely forced him wide onto his "weak foot". Probably thought he did everything right. :lol:

SteveW

I don't know about being the world's best player, but I'm pretty sure he will be a 30 goals striker.

Easily. He'll prob break 20 this season having spent half of it on the bench.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

If he reaches Lewandowski's level we should all be ecstatic.

Mickson

As OGS told in the press conference, now it’s time for Mason to start getting headers in. Did he ever score a header for youth teams?
Yes, not many but a few. Definitely an area he can and will work on though. I'm sure he will score headers as soon as he is playing centrally.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Yeah, he got a few, he's a Decent header of the ball, no Duncan Fergurson but its definitely not a glaring weakness

OldTrevil

Up there with the best of them as a finisher, should keep his head down and keep banging them in. We don't need just the wins but also the goals. This boy has strengthened over lockdown and the understanding with his forward partners has also improved, a joy to watch.

lenny_1248

Did he ever score a header for youth teams?
Yes.

Besides usual comparisons, he also reminds me a little bit of David Villa, though of course he's much taller. And Villa was a sensational player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.