Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Just because you say it is fact doesnt make it true.

Martial is playing a number 9 role which means he is much more reliant on the ball coming to him which in a lot of games where we pass along the lines and down the wings he doesnt see the ball. This season he has set the standard for pressuring from the front.

Even in games where people say he's gone missing he has usually performed very well in his hold up and link up play.

I dont for a second believe he goes missing, that doesnt mean the game isnt sometimes played around him so to speak. That happens to no.9s.
Fantastic username.

Fosu-Mens

Then that's even more confusing. He was carrying our attack when he was playing LW before the restart.
If you compare the expected goals of Rashford, Greenwood and Martial to the actual goals scored this season, or over their careers, then it is obvious who needs more chances on average to score goals. While Greenwood has a small sample size, and it is unlikely that he will continue this extreme level of efficiency, his finishing abilities makes it likely that he will continue to be much more efficient than Rashford. Martial is more efficient than Rashford.

And with PP, Bruno and maybe Sancho, we will have 3 excellent creators.

If I only used the games since the restart, I would say that Rashford had improved his ability to pick a pass in the final third, based on the two assists against Sheffield. A much needed improvement, as he has been somewhat predictable when receiving the ball in the final third at times.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Anyone else feel like with Greenwood in this form it’s going to be hard for us to drop too many points. I just think if he plays like he is at the moment he’s always going to get chances and with his finishing that’s as good as a goal. Could easily be the difference today!

Kostov

Anyone else feel like with Greenwood in this form it’s going to be hard for us to drop too many points. I just think if he plays like he is at the moment he’s always going to get chances and with his finishing that’s as good as a goal. Could easily be the difference today!
I can see where you are coming from, but don't forget he is still just a 18 year old kid who is bound to have the off game despite being a generational talent. Let's hope the experienced players are on their game today, that's what we need and so does Greenwood.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
If you compare the expected goals of Rashford, Greenwood and Martial to the actual goals scored this season, or over their careers, then it is obvious who needs more chances on average to score goals. While Greenwood has a small sample size, and it is unlikely that he will continue this extreme level of efficiency, his finishing abilities makes it likely that he will continue to be much more efficient than Rashford. Martial is more efficient than Rashford.

And with PP, Bruno and maybe Sancho, we will have 3 excellent creators.

If I only used the games since the restart, I would say that Rashford had improved his ability to pick a pass in the final third, based on the two assists against Sheffield. A much needed improvement, as he has been somewhat predictable when receiving the ball in the final third at times.
Time for me to leave.

All jokes aside, fair enough mate. I just think people are dismissing what he brings to the table far too easily. It's clear he's not at his best right now and partly why it's shown he needs "more chances" to score goals is because he does try some shots from some ridiculous areas and it's starting to really become a threat over this season. Moments like the Freekick vs Chelsea doesn't happen without him being the way he is. I think he's gradually polishing his game. The same sort of thing applies to Bruno, he may take 10 shots a game but we have to praise the effort and positivity rather than label it as inefficiency. Where as Mason has the qualities to have only one or two chances in the box and score from both. He's a gem and it's not too bad of a thing to have players on the pitch that offer a different threat.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Rashford and Martial will be the ones rotating, most likely Rashford due to him being the only one among them that is inefficient and Greenwood not being physically ready to play CF.
I seriously doubt Ole will have Rashford rotate next season if Sancho were to come here. Greenwood would be the one rotating while Rashford, Sancho and martial would likely start most games.

Fosu-Mens

Time for me to leave.

All jokes aside, fair enough mate. I just think people are dismissing what he brings to the table far too easily. It's clear he's not at his best right now and partly why it's shown he needs "more chances" to score goals is because he does try some shots from some ridiculous areas and it's starting to really become a threat over this season. Moments like the Freekick vs Chelsea doesn't happen without him being the way he is. I think he's gradually polishing his game. The same sort of thing applies to Bruno.
I did not say he was a bad player, nor that his style of play was not what we needed when we did not have any creators in the team. Just that with multiple great creators in a team, his low return shot selection is not beneficial for our goalscoring over time. Hopefully, he can continue with the decisionmaking he showed against Sheffield and reduce the number of bad shots and not always go for power.

Bruno is an efficient player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I seriously doubt Ole will have Rashford rotate next season if Sancho were to come here. Greenwood would be the one rotating while Rashford, Sancho and martial would likely start most games.
Depends doesn't it? If greenwood keeps getting a goal or assist every 90 minutes like he is now and Rashford isn't playing well, then he will get dropped.

That's the great thing about adding an even better attacker. Everybody is going to have to raise their game to keep their position. It can only be good for the squad.

That's exactly why Pereira/Lingard have failed to push on IMO. They knew they were always first choice whether good or bad, there was no threat to stop them being complacent.

Fosu-Mens

They will all rotate to some degree, but if Greenwood continues at around the same level he has shown over the last 3 games, he will not be the one rotating first.

romufc

I wouldn't want to forsee who is rotated. In all fairness it will and should be beased on form. If Greenwood is firing, he will stay in the team or if Rashford / Martial are firing they will be in the team.

It gives us good options and reduces the risk of injury by overplaying them.

Womp

idiot
I wouldn't want to forsee who is rotated. In all fairness it will and should be beased on form. If Greenwood is firing, he will stay in the team or if Rashford / Martial are firing they will be in the team.

It gives us good options and reduces the risk of injury by overplaying them.
Literally this. Incorporate the fact that certain players will benefit from specific tactics we employ, injuries to players, fatigue and *hopefully getting deep into the cups and they will all get ample game time. It's of benefit to us that they can all operate in a few positions too.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I think Greenwood has a higher ceiling than both Rashford and Martial. But it would make sense it's him that rotates whilst he's still developing.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Depends doesn't it? If greenwood keeps getting a goal or assist every 90 minutes like he is now and Rashford isn't playing well, then he will get dropped.

That's the great thing about adding an even better attacker. Everybody is going to have to raise their game to keep their position. It can only be good for the squad.

That's exactly why Pereira/Lingard have failed to push on IMO. They knew they were always first choice whether good or bad, there was no threat to stop them being complacent.
True. Everyone will have to raise their game all the time to keep their places if we have an abundance of top players in attack.

You have an off game, then next thing you know the one that comes from you next game over perform you and suddenly you're staring to find it hard to get back into the team which means then newly benched player is forced to raise his game. Ideally you'd want all your attackers performing and just being managed right as to both give them rest and keep them happy.

Resch

Greenwood is different to our strikers. He can score from everywhere in the 16 yard box. It is a joy to watch him play.

romufc

Literally this. Incorporate the fact that certain players will benefit from specific tactics we employ, injuries to players, fatigue and *hopefully getting deep into the cups and they will all get ample game time. It's of benefit to us that they can all operate in a few positions too.
Exactly, the benefit of having a front line that can play 3/4 positions is crucial. This way, we can rest Bruno as well and have Sancho or Greenwood play behind the striker. It opens options for the manager that we just do not have right not.

However good we look on paper, players will have a dip in form and pick injuries up throughout the season and we need to be ready for that.

This season has shown that already.

Handré1990

I can see where you are coming from, but don't forget he is still just a 18 year old kid who is bound to have the off game despite being a generational talent. Let's hope the experienced players are on their game today, that's what we need and so does Greenwood.
Agreed! We should try to put as little pressure on his shoulders as possible for now, just let him do his thing.

TrustInJanuzaj

Yeh I do agree, it’s just hard in this current form not to be really excited as I think hes deadly.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I think this is the issue, making judgement calls for next season based on 2 weeks of form.

Rashford has been fantastic for most of the season and outperformed all of our attackers. It was almost a certainty that he was going to be our player of the season at one point and suddenly now he is inefficient after Covid-19 and returning from a double back stress fracture. I think he's proven he can be a World Class LW.
Not to mention that Rashford is clearly playing a different role in the team now in which he tends to stay wide to create, rather than attack the box as an inside forward. He's going to need time to get better at it.

In any case, Rashford and Martial have always had their vocal doubters. Rashford's have grown louder now because Martial's scoring form has temporarily silenced his. Reverse their forms and Martial's critics will reappear too.

Back on topic, Greenwood will be nearly impossible to drop if he continues like this. Very very exciting.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
we couldn't do it with Rooney, Owen, Becks, Gerrard, Lampard or Scholes
Well we didn't lack the talent, more complacency or tactical issues.

We are closer now than ever before IMO.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Well we didn't lack the talent, more complacency or tactical issues.

We are closer now than ever before IMO.
You should factor other counties in this process. It's not always about complacency or under achieving, it's about some countries simply having better players.

It's like what Neville said, people called the England team with Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, etc the golden generation then what would people call the Brazil team with Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Carlos, Cafu, etc, the platinum generation?

While England are coming up with some talents, you look at countries like France and you realize that some countries are on another level.

TrustInOle

These 2 lads are going to carry England to the world cup.
Agreed. Sancho on the right, possibly Rashford on the left. :devil:

Just need some good midfielders to come through now to sit behind Foden. Have high hopes for Garner still and the possibility of Trent Arnold developing into a Dm\Cm.

Future looks bright indeed.

TrustInJanuzaj

I would say that England probably match France in the attacking areas in terms of the youngsters just breaking through. France seems to have the edge in the defence though.
They also have our very own Pogba in midfield while we have Jordan Henderson...

el3mel

Incredible kid and ridiculous finisher. For 18 years it's ridiculous how complete he's. Can shot with his 2 legs with no problem and is always dangerous.

This can be a cliche saying but I really he's one in a generation talent, especially for us.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
That quick left foot touch to set himself up for that right foot rocket...it's in the details. Very decisive, very direct.

OleBoiii

We're damn lucky to have him.

Credit to our academy. We had 5 academy players on the pitch at one point. And none of them looked out of place.

Status
Not open for further replies.