5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBob

It was a fine enough performance, which is obviously a massive improvement, but i really don't get the amount of praise after this one. Allergic to making the right decision when he gets anywhere near goal as the only thing on his mind is scoring

Cavani plays the ball to him in an excellent position and goes on a run so that he's an option for a pass.

Greenwood turns with the ball, his right side is now completely crowded and Cavani isn't much of an option, however Rashford is completely free for a pass. Does Greenwood attempt the pass or does he go for the shot

Nope, he goes for the worst option possible and tries to turn right and into the 4 fecking Everton players and instantly loses the ball.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Another one who is allowed to do whatever he want. Just fecking pass when you have an option. He was way too selfish despite being in very promising positions to make a simple pass.

Andersons Dietician

Ehm, no. He's like Rashford when he gets anywhere close to goal. It's perfectly fine that he went for the shot on the first occasion, but the rest of his decisions when he came anywhere near the box were fecking rubbish. And he was pretty much non-existing on the pitch for the last 20mins, no idea why Ole didn't sub him off to put on a central midfielder
Do you not think his play outside of the box was massively improved to his normal displays. I was really impressed with that aspect of his game today.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It was a fine enough performance, which is obviously a massive improvement, but i really don't get the amount of praise after this one. Allergic to making the right decision when he gets anywhere near goal as the only thing on his mind is scoring

Cavani plays the ball to him in an excellent position and goes on a run so that he's an option for a pass.

Greenwood turns with the ball, his right side is now completely crowded and Cavani isn't much of an option, however Rashford is completely free for a pass. Does Greenwood attempt the pass or does he go for the shot

Nope, he goes for the worst option possible and tries to turn right and into the 4 fecking Everton players and instantly loses the ball.

FFS. Those three frames are probably all within a second of each other. Ridiculous basis for criticism.

Handré1990

Do you not think his play outside of the box was massively improved to his normal displays. I was really impressed with that aspect of his game today.
You’re both right. He’s still only 19, so his decision making inside the box will develop. He finds so many good positions when on form that he could dominate the scoreline with assists and goals. That will require to learn when to shoot, when to dribble and when to pass.

Like you said though, his overall play today was very good.

Valencia Shin Crosses

A few differences that I think can account for your frustrations with people praising him.

1. He's 19 and in only his 2nd season while having an unlucky year in front of goal. Therefore he's desperate to score when he thinks he has a chance in front of goal, especially since he's a striker that is forced onto the wing because of positional deficiencies in the squad. I can excuse his tunnel vision much easier than I can Rashford or another senior player that's been playing for years yet still makes the same mistakes.

2. Greenwood is unique in that he provides a scoring threat that's almost equal on either foot, so him backing himself to have a shot even when a pass might be on is a much more acceptable decision than say someone like Rashford who's noticeably less confident on his left.

He's still learning but today was one of the first games I can remember watching where he looked threatening even when not in front of goal. Great touches, retaining possession, vision and dribbling which are all attributes that you like to see develop in a young striker that is mainly known for being lethal in front of goal. He had much more influence on the game than he usually does.

UncleBob

FFS. Those three frames are probably all within a second of each other. Ridiculous basis for criticism.
How so? He's angled towards the path of Cavani for a decent amount of time before receiving the ball, so he knows what's down that side and that it's crowded, what he doesn't really know is what's behind him, but as soon as he turns and looks up he'll see the option of either the quick shot or passing to Rashford. His instinct is that he can't get off a shot quickly enough without Keane blocking him, but trying to get past him by going towards the right is pretty much the worst decision he can possible make. You either shoot and risk it being blocked or you just pass it

Any other player than Rashford or Greenwood with the ball in that situation and it gets rolled to the completely free teammate.

It's perfectly fine that he takes the selfish route every once in a while, like with the chance he created for himself after 20mins when Bruno was free in front of goal, not so much when you constantly go down the selfish route

Devil may care

I thought he had a good game, did his tracking duties well, dribbled and passed it crisply, I feel like he's taken on board instructions to supply as well as shoot from his wide forward role.

Phil

Best I've seen him play in ages. Hope he puts many more games like that in.

El Jefe

This boy is going to the very top. He's 19 and is already such an excellent finisher but recently he's starting to show the technique, dribbling and passing that he did in the academy.

He's very much the modern forward and in a few years, teams will be trying their best to find their very own version.

Heinzesight

Please play like that (and he can play better) for the remainder of the season. Plus it will give us so much more balance whilst actually giving the opposition something to think about on that side.

Good lad.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If you think that’s bad you should the ones he’s trying to use to exonerate de Gea.

keithsingleton

I'm not Ole's greatest fan but I do think the way he's handled Greenwood over the last 12 months is of the same style that Fergie would do. This lad looking like he could be the real deal with a bit more time/experience.

snk123

Very bright today but again... another English talent and gets a free pass for his woeful decision making. Selfish as always.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Very knit picky. Players make mistakes. Even the experienced Cavani did last night.

UncleBob

Very knit picky. Players make mistakes. Even the experienced Cavani did last night.
I don't think it's nitpicking. I have issues with Greenwoods decision making when he gets close to goal and against Everton it happened again, it's not a one off

OldTrevil

Despite a couple moments of bonkers selfishness, he was our best attacker on the ball and gave us more of an outlet than either Cavani or Rashford. He shouldn't have been the one to come off late in the game.

AgentSmith

I don't think it's nitpicking. I have issues with Greenwoods decision making when he gets close to goal and against Everton it happened again, it's not a one off
Greenwood only turned 19 a few months ago and is currently in his 2nd season at the top level.

To whatever extent you have an issue with his decision making do you not think it can be explained by his age and lack of experience? And that due to this it’ll be a part of his game that naturally improves with time and isn’t anything to worry about.

I disagree btw - I think his general play is good as it is while his ability in front of goal is already fantastic - just making the point that whatever weaknesses people think Greenwood has will surely go away as he matures.

UncleBob

Despite a couple moments of bonkers selfishness, he was our best attacker on the ball and gave us more of an outlet than either Cavani or Rashford. He shouldn't have been the one to come off late in the game.
Barely involved for the last 20 mins of the match. Hardly a surprise he came off, the mistake was waiting so long

OldTrevil

Barely involved for the last 20 mins of the match. Hardly a surprise he came off, the mistake was waiting so long
As opposed to Cavani and Rashford who kept giving the ball away more often than not? He's also more clinical than both so it makes more sense to keep him on for any last minute chance.

UncleBob

Greenwood only turned 19 a few months ago and is currently in his 2nd season at the top level.

To whatever extent you have an issue with his decision making do you not think it can be explained by his age and lack of experience? And that due to this it’ll be a part of his game that naturally improves with time and isn’t anything to worry about.

I disagree btw - I think his general play is good as it is while his ability in front of goal is already fantastic - just making the point that whatever weaknesses people think Greenwood has will surely go away as he matures.
See Rashford. So no, I don't really think it's nothing to worry about.
It's perfectly fine that he wants to score, it's not something you want to remove from his game, but there needs to be a balance. If you've consistently gone for glory then perhaps it's time you actually pass the ball

Hoof the ball

These kind of things get freeze framed, isolated in post-match reviews by the club's coaches and analysts and then shown back to the player. Perhaps it is knit picky, but it's also true that what Bob is doing isn't drastically different than what sports analysts do to players in order to improve them, within contextual reason of the situation.

What I will say, however, is that although Mason isn't scoring his general play has improved greatly. First touch, holding up of the ball, playing in tight areas, etc, are all improved, whereas, last season although he was scoring he was less effective in open play. Given his relative age it'll be more or less a matter of time before he's both scoring and proving effective in open play.

snk123

See Rashford. So no, I don't really think it's nothing to worry about.
It's perfectly fine that he wants to score, it's not something you want to remove from his game, but there needs to be a balance. If you've consistently gone for glory then perhaps it's time you actually pass the ball
Exactly! People think decision making is something that comes with age. Well it didn’t with Rashford and it won’t with Mason until he’s strictly told to work on it.

All the top players at a young age knew when to pass the ball and when to shoot. With Mason the balance is so off that its alarming.

AgentSmith

Exactly! People think decision making is something that comes with age. Well it didn’t with Rashford and it won’t with Mason until he’s strictly told to work on it.

All the top players at a young age knew when to pass the ball and when to shoot. With Mason the balance is so off that its alarming.
Ronaldo certainly didn’t.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's amazing that people think decision making won't improve with more experience or that Rashford's didn't improve :lol:

Hoof the ball

Ronaldo certainly didn’t.
I'd agree with that. Ronaldo was very erratic, the frustration of which was felt by his teammates, but as we know, Cristiano is uniquely driven by an obsession to improve. Cristiano is anomalous in that he's an exception to most rules. If Mason has (or develops) even half of Ronaldo's work ethic and drive, he has every chance to put his game together and become a top, top player.

bsCallout

It's amazing that people think decision making won't improve with more experience or that Rashford's didn't improve :lol:
It's probably one of the biggest things that does improve. Knowledge and understanding of the game and the patience that comes with it. It's a rare player who demonstrates good decision making early on.

Mbappe2021

Supports
Real madrid
It won't improve he just looks the kinda so full of himself kid who never seems to do what he is told and is game is so limited I wouldn't call skilled but yes he can shoot and that is about it .

I watched a few highlights of amad diallo and the assists that he gave tell me that if Mason doesn't change his selfish play he will be replace very soon . I just hate selfish players you can say anything about martial but he at least is a team player.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It won't improve he just looks the kinda so full of himself kid who never seems to do what he is told and is game is so limited I wouldn't call skilled but yes he can shoot and that is about it .

I watched a few highlights of amad diallo and the assists that he gave tell me that if Mason doesn't change his selfish play he will be replace very soon . I just hate selfish players you can say anything about martial but he at least is a team player.
Just so I understand this, you think the 19 year old who has already scored 21 goals for us won't improve?

Also he has 5 assists this season and his crossing has improved quite measurably. He's still a kid and you're acting like he's got nothing more to offer. Bizarre.

Mbappe2021

Supports
Real madrid
Just so I understand this, you think the 19 year old who has already scored 21 goals for us won't improve?

Also he has 5 assists this season and his crossing has improved quite measurably. He's still a kid and you're acting like he's got nothing more to offer. Bizarre.

He is selfish yes his shooting can make us win games but just like his selfish play could cost us a lot of games because to me he doesn't look like he is ever going to change. You just have to look at rashford who sometimes brings back that selfish side of him.

hubbuh

:houllier: 'full of himself kid who never seems to do what he is told'?!

Greenwood actually has very decent defensive stats in terms of number of pressures and tackles per game. He's a great passer and can read the game really well. He's eager to score and make an impression at times but I'd be more concerned if a young striker didn't have that ruthless desire to stick the ball in the goal hole. He will finesse his decision-making with time. Give him a fecking chance!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He is selfish yes his shooting can make us win games but just like his selfish play could cost us a lot of games because to me he doesn't look like he is ever going to change. You just have to look at rashford who sometimes brings back that selfish side of him.
A 19 year old being selfish and not having a fully developed all round game? feck me I guess we'll have to get rid.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
:houllier: 'full of himself kid who never seems to do what he is told'?!

Greenwood actually has very decent defensive stats in terms of number of pressures and tackles per game. He's a great passer and can read the game really well. He's eager to score and make an impression at times but I'd be more concerned if a young striker didn't have that ruthless desire to stick the ball in the goal hole. He will finesse his decision-making with time. Give him a fecking chance!
Honestly I feel like I'm on Facebook with the amount of awful takes I see on this forum.

AgentSmith

Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.