5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaizane

I don't understand some people's beef with him being greedy. It's like complaining that your Ferrari is too fast. Let your best shooters, shoot!

I don't understand some people's beef with him being greedy. It's like complaining that your Ferrari is too fast. Let your best shooters, shoot!
If he's playing as the striker - then by all means be 'greedy' and shoot on sight.

But it's a problem if he's playing as a winger and his job is to assist the striker(s).

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Great link up play tonight. I have a feeling he would really excel under a manager like ten Hag. Still our biggest and brightest talent out of the academy in ages.
That is a good point. He is still learning and developing and needs a proper coach to advance his career.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If he's playing as the striker - then by all means be 'greedy' and shoot on sight.

But it's a problem if he's playing as a winger and his job is to assist the striker(s).
To be fair this is why inverted forwards with a false 9 is probably the best tactic than 2 inverted forwards and a striker - that's just 3 strikers with minimal cohesion.

Or play strikers together in partnerships and play creative players either behind them or on the wings when playing a single striker.

Kaizane

Well, by nature he's a striker playing out of position so I certainly won't be holding that against him.

MDFC Manager

Oh he should certainly be allowed to shoot, just not taking ridiculous, low percentage shots. It's not just him either, it's what most of the team has been doing this season when the the opposition have frustrated us. It's a coaching issue.

snk123

You are beyond tedious at this point.
I literally just praised him for improving massively as a team player in the last few matches. He has been very good because he has passed the ball a lot more.

You see, that's being unbiased and objectively assessing a player's performance... something you as a fanboy have always failed to do when it comes to Mason.

EtH

I literally just praised him for improving massively as a team player in the last few matches. He has been very good because he has passed the ball a lot more.

You see, that's being unbiased and objectively assessing a player's performance... something you as a fanboy have always failed to do when it comes to Mason.
It’s a nonsense narrative though. He has set up a number of chances this season and been very unlucky that none of them ended up as goals. And his interplay has generally been more consistent than any of our other attackers.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

we end up playing a wonky 4-4-2 with 2 shooters. I don’t mind when it’s Cavani because he presses for the ball and will help out all over the pitch winning the ball back but I think 9 times out of 10, 1 out and out finisher is enough.

Last edited:

sillwuka

Mason's matured massively over the past year. His passing and decisions from deeper positions have improved.

I feel like alot of fans want to see the shiny new signings but I love when Greenwood gets the nod.

arthurka

Mason's matured massively over the past year. His passing and decisions from deeper positions have improved.

I feel like alot of fans want to see the shiny new signings but I love when Greenwood gets the nod.
He is simply our best wide player this season.

Smores

I still think he's a bit wasted out wide but where else is he going to play. Ideally he gets the odd game up front across the season and into next season he's rotated in more and more.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Left out of another England squad. It’s utterly baffling.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Left out of another England squad. It’s utterly baffling.
Southgate has his favorites and simply won't drop them due to lack of form, so there's really no way in for younger players like Greenwood and Smith-Rowe.

John Stones has started more games for England this fall than for Manchester City. Think about that.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

The only thing I can critcise him for is his lack of movement and energy somtimes. Technically is streets ahead of loads of players his age, but still think he lacks the phyiscality to impose himself in games. I hope it will come with age as he fills out a bit, think a new coach will focus quite heavily on improving him in that regard.

Oranges038

Not sold on him being a winger.

Honestly think he needs to play more centrally. His two assists the other night tell me he's better operating in those areas where he has less time to think and is more instinctive than he is out wide.

rooney2009

Has Greenwood refused to be called up or has he slept with Southgate's Daughter or something,.. there is something that does not add up here
There is more to this as there is no way you can continuously leave him out

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Has Greenwood refused to be called up or has he slept with Southgate's Daughter or something,.. there is something that does not add up here
There is more to this as there is no way you can continuously leave him out
By the sounds of it it's mutual. He isn't in any rush to come back into the england team after the huge public backlash against him in the media and Gareth is happy with his squad and doesn't see Greenwood as integral to his first team plans yet.

Raven

Some posters are intensely overprotective when it comes to Greenwood although some posters are over critical. I think he's a world class talent and a very good player but is naturally inconsistent as a very young player, I've been accused of hating him for holding this view.

Member 101269

By the sounds of it it's mutual. He isn't in any rush to come back into the england team after the huge public backlash against him in the media and Gareth is happy with his squad and doesn't see Greenwood as integral to his first team plans yet.
GS: the guy with how many RB because he can.
As a media communicator he does a job, as a winner he hasn’t a clue. Mason has time.

Classical Mechanic

I don't think it's mutual at all. Greenwood's family have asked for him not to be considered at this point so he can focus on his club career. I think he'd be in the squad this time over Rashford if he was available.

the_cliff

He'll go to the world cup no need to worry. Think it's wise for him right now to stay at United and have a bit of a rest during international break, will help with his development. He's just turned 20.

SonyaCross493

Very Bizarre weird situation really.. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but to me there seems more to it than what is said in public... I don't know what but I'm sure it will all come out in the wash eventually as these things do..

So Greenwood doesn't want to play in the England qualifiers yet wants to play at the World Cup? What about the players who have helped England qualify for the World Cup by playing all the games.. surely that's unfair on them to lose a spot to Greenwood who hasn't played in the qualifying games?

Last edited:

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Very weird situation, enough kids his age play both club % country.

TsuWave

is there an english striker performing better than him this year?

darko

Their job is to create and score goals. Frankly, I hate the three-forward system. If people were honest, they'd acknowledge that neither Liverpool, City nor Chelsea play with three forwards. United should be playing with two forwards/strikers and nine plyers behind them - whether that's 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, but with just the two strikers. Mason shouldn't be stuck out on the right-wing.

Ixion

I dont rate Southgate but if this quote is true he's more of a clown that I imagined

Baxter

It’s taken way out of context.

He asked not to be selected this year to concentrate on United. The full meaning seems to be that if he doesn’t ‘get it right’ at United then he may not make it for England. Southgate is happy to let him focus on developing for the club.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It’s taken way out of context.

He asked not to be selected this year to concentrate on United. The full meaning seems to be that if he doesn’t ‘get it right’ at United then he may not make it for England. Southgate is happy to let him focus on developing for the club.
In any context that’s a weird quote to make. Mason is hardly Ravel Morrison. He’s a regular at United and has been for three years. He regularly contributes from a position that isn’t natural to him.

I don’t see a context in which that isn’t extremely negative and downright strange.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This could really derail him and his future career I reckon. He’s not only good enough to be in that England squad but he should be a genuine contender to be a first 11 starter based on form and ability. All this is going to do is heap insane pressure on him when he does finally get the opportunity. I wish he was duel nationality so he could feck off and play for another country, can’t stand Southgate.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Not sure why Southgate is getting the blame, here. Sounds like the lad doesn't want to play.

GledTheRed

I hope Greenwood is not playing for that wanker after he hung him out to dry over the Iceland incident.

Why is Tammy Abraham in the squad after two league goals this season?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not sure why Southgate is getting the blame, here. Sounds like the lad doesn't want to play.
Yeah, doesn’t seem like he has much interest in playing for England. At least not right now. Southgate has praised him a few times.

That being said, the above comment just seems unnecessary and somewhat venomous.

Chairman Steve

More beneficial to us. Less exposure to England circus and no risk of injuries on international duty.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Can he still play for Jamaica nt seeing as his parents are from there now that he has appeared in 1 game for England ?

Status
Not open for further replies.