Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
same as Rashford. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

If he wants to become a good player, he has to work much harder off the ball. His fake tracking back and pressing is destroying us, same thing on the other flank. Football is a team sport, working as a team, defending from the front is as important as ever.

In years gone by players would talk about Ronaldo and Cantona as players that didn't track back and do the dirty work but it was fine becasue they'd win you the game.

We now have players like Greenwood who are doing neither. He needs a spell on the sidelines to think about his attitude.

cletus7

In years gone by players would talk about Ronaldo and Cantona as players that didn't track back and do the dirty work but it was fine becasue they'd win you the game.

We now have players like Greenwood who are doing neither. He needs a spell on the sidelines to think about his attitude.
We need to get off his back. For that first goal, Bruno went charging pointlessly after Alisson to try and make himself feel better about missing a clear chance to open scoring - he set Greenwood up for all this flack as he had little chance but to follow suit despite it being totally hopeless.

Foxbatt

We need to get off his back. For that first goal, Bruno went charging pointlessly after Alisson to try and make himself feel better about missing a clear chance to open scoring - he set Greenwood up for all this flack as he had little chance but to follow suit despite it being totally hopeless.
He does this in every game. It is called cheating. He does this to show that he is pressing. But he is not pressing. His angles are all wrong. It may be a coaching issue too the way he press since he does exactly the same in every game.

Skills

Snitch
He should leave. We've wasted 3 years of his development under a dreadful coach.

If he's smart, he'll try and force his way to Man City.

EtH

He has won us matches. And he created more in the first half than any of our other players managed to in the entire match. The problem is in the dugout but for some reason a kid who just turned 20 and has been our best player thus far this season is being blamed for the tactical shit sandwich served up every week. It’s beyond ridiculous.

Manny

Grammar Police
He needs to be dropped. He can't seem to link up with teammates and can't get into the box for crosses. Even more apparent when we were watching Liverpool throwing forwards, midfielders and full backs into the box for crosses.

His one goal every 3-4 games is not worth the disjointed attack.

MS4

Greenwood top scorer with Bruno
Greenwood mosts Shots on Targets
But people want him dropped.
Ronaldo doing nothing, Sancho and Pogba doing nothing and best Attacker needs be dropped. I am curious how our attacking line up should look like. Van de beek maybe?

Foxbatt

Greenwood top scorer with Bruno
Greenwood mosts Shots on Targets
But people want him dropped.
Ronaldo doing nothing, Sancho and Pogba doing nothing and best Attacker needs be dropped. I am curious how our attacking line up should look like. Van de beek maybe?
Because he is not playing a team game. Just because he scored some wonder goals does not mean he is playing for the team.

SonyaCross493

Honestly I don't blame Greenwood I blame Ole for starting him EVERY game knowing young players are inconsistent and need nurturing/protecting. Surely with young players you need to take them out the firing line like Fergie did? Ole doesn't have any excuses when he has Sancho, Martial etc waiting on the bench he's not short of options. Even Cavani can play off the right like he did for PSG. Cavani would be less selfish than Greenwood too.

yes Greenwood cost us the first goal and that was crucial as we was on top of Liverpool until that point the first goal was always crucial.. but Greenwood shouldn't be starting every-game. He should be an impact substitute for a few years starting the odd game.

relying on a 20-year old to produce consistent performance every-week is asking for trouble.

I guarantee Conte and Zidane both wouldn't start Greenwood, they'd use him as impact substitutes and give Sancho a run of games to find his form like Pep did to Grealish. Or play Cavani with Ronaldo.

Lynty

He defends like it's FIFA amateur difficulty. Saunters towards the ball but no desire to win it. Watches the game instead of watching the man on his flank, no desire to challenge for second balls. It feels as if nobody has taken the time to teach him his role in defending and pressing.

The way the game is going, there's no room of passenger goal scorers even as a number 9.

Skyhightrees

Reading the posts here you would think he hasn't been one of the downfalls of a ridiculously coached team. He is playing out of his position and it shows, a LOT. He can't be arsed to defend, track back. He can't be arsed to pass the ball in key moments, always looks for a surprise shot. He can't cross because he is too left-footed apart from shooting with his right. He can't beat his man with skills, but just pace.

If I may be honest, if he isn't playing as ST or on a 2 man ST partnership, he should be dropped for Sancho always... it's useless to play him at RW and hope he cuts one in and scores when at his age, he won't score more than 10 goals playing this position

SonyaCross493

If Greenwood isn't dropped for the Spurs game he is the luckiest player in the squad.

When there's so much riding on the game you play more experienced players like Sancho or Lingard who will play less selfish and create more chances.

Greenwood would be a great impact substitute off the bench.. look at the League Cup game with West Ham. He changed the game when he came on.

lex talionis

A phenomenal talent but Greenwood hasn’t earned the right to be undroppable. The comments here about his unwillingness to work hard off the ball, both attacking and defending, are spot on.

gza the genius

It's hard to believe that he isn't being told to be selfish and not track back. He keeps doing both with absolutely no repercussions. I'm not sure which scenario makes Ole come across worse - it's either by design and is disastrous for the team or Greenwood is doing it on his own and Ole can't get him to stop and won't bench him.

Foxbatt

Yes he scores brilliant goals but he needs to be dropped because he is not doing much for the team. He couldn't be arsed to try to defend.

RooneyLegend

Yes he scores brilliant goals but he needs to be dropped because he is not doing much for the team. He couldn't be arsed to try to defend.
Once Pools fullbacks crossed the half way line, both Rashford and Greenwood stopped following them. I refuse to believe that wasn't a coaching decision.

Teja

Unfair to call either Greenwood / Rashford lazy. I think in the Pool game specifically, both have been asked to stay up to counter. If both your attacking outlets (esp Rashford) are deep in your own half, they'll just kill you with the press. You need to give their defensive players something to think about.

General workrate wise, he looks busy but like all our players he doesn't know when to go press and when to hold position / drop back. He'll be a lot better under a new coach.

SeeMe

Supports
Porto
He is still very talented but still very raw, at the age of 20, he need to have proper guidance to become one of the greatest.

Under good coach and manager he will turn to be one of the England future together with Sancho. What he is done on the pitch is what he learn or instruct from the coach and manger.

I believe he and Sancho will be great under Klopp or Pep.

Kramer

It's hard to believe that he isn't being told to be selfish and not track back. He keeps doing both with absolutely no repercussions. I'm not sure which scenario makes Ole come across worse - it's either by design and is disastrous for the team or Greenwood is doing it on his own and Ole can't get him to stop and won't bench him.
I seriously believe it is a coaching issue. If he were not doing on the pitch what he’s asked to do, surely you would see Ole barking instructions on the touchline asking him To do more. But it seems he’s being asked to stay further up the pitch for the counter.

Either way, whether it’s by design or Ole’s lack of coming down hard on the players for not following his instructions, it’s dreadful coaching

FatTails

I don't think he's lazy, I just think he doesn't have a lot of awareness of all phases of the game. This is something he will get better at but obviously needs to work with good coaches too (maybe Carrick and McKenna are good coaches, maybe not). To me, it seems that since he's broke into the team, Mason still plays the same way, is still good and getting better at the things he was already good at, and didn't improve at the things he wasn't good at. He plays very instinctively, but you'd hope that he would be improving other aspects of his game.

Foxbatt

It most probably is a coaching issue otherwise he would be dropped.
There is no point in being up all alone when the FB is ganging up on AWB with the left wing.

EtH

It most probably is a coaching issue otherwise he would be dropped.
There is no point in being up all alone when the FB is ganging up on AWB with the left wing.
And Shaw down their right. But yes let’s single out Greenwood despite the exact same thing happening on the opposite wing which is only part of the general state of chaos we have been in defensively all over the pitch this season.

Some absolute nonsense being spouted in this thread. Yet again.

romufc

It looks to me its Ole's fault this. Our front 3 do are the laziest in the PL. I have seen Rashford and Greenwood just have no idea how to track or press.

I know he has scored quite a few goals but alot of them are all of his doing, he hasn't finished off a team goal.

Foxbatt

And Shaw down their right. But yes let’s single out Greenwood despite the exact same thing happening on the opposite wing which is only part of the general state of chaos we have been in defensively all over the pitch this season.

Some absolute nonsense being spouted in this thread. Yet again.
This is the Greenwood thread. I said the same thing about Rashford on his thread.

EtH

This is the Greenwood thread. I said the same thing about Rashford on his thread.
You’ve been on Greenwood’s back yet again until multiple sensible posts pointed out the likely tactical causation of the matter. I’ve not been on Rashford’s back about it at all and won’t be because it is obvious the manager is more interested in being his buddy than getting the best out of him and God knows what the tactics off the ball are supposed to look like at the moment. There are so many issues in the side right now top to bottom that it is a bit ridiculous to single anyone out unless they’re throwing the ball in their own net like Maguire. Much less this kid who has been fecking great this season unlike most of the side save our goalkeeper.

Foxbatt

You’ve been on Greenwood’s back yet again until multiple sensible posts pointed out the likely tactical causation of the matter. I’ve not been on Rashford’s back about it at all and won’t be because it is obvious the manager is more interested in being his buddy than getting the best out of him and God knows what the tactics off the ball are supposed to look like at the moment. There are so many issues in the side right now top to bottom that it is a bit ridiculous to single anyone out unless they’re throwing the ball in their own net like Maguire. Much less this kid who has been fecking great this season unlike most of the side save our goalkeeper.
Yes I am on his back as I have done for others when they feck things up. He may be 18 years but when he is playing for the first 11 then he is talented enough and he should be doing his work just like everyone else has to do. No one should get a free ride at this level. Be it Greenwood, Ole, Maguire or Ronaldo.

RooneyLegend

Yes I am on his back as I have done for others when they feck things up. He may be 18 years but when he is playing for the first 11 then he is talented enough and he should be doing his work just like everyone else has to do. No one should get a free ride at this level. Be it Greenwood, Ole, Maguire or Ronaldo.
It was clearly a coaching instruction otherwise it wouldn't have happened on both sides of the pitch. Ole wanted them to stay up so the can exploit the space behind the fullbacks. It was a dumb idea granted but can't blame the players for it.

United in sin

Because he is not playing a team game. Just because he scored some wonder goals does not mean he is playing for the team.
You might as well be talking about Ronaldo because it's exactly the same with him now at 37 and back when he signed as a teen. Solskjaer is the wrong person to develop Greenwood because he clearly needs better direction

He does worry me a little. Clearly a ridiculous talent but his attitude problems have been a shadow on the last couple of years and his progression has slowed. Now we have the rumours of him and Ronaldo not getting along? He's got 2 years to learn from the best goalscorer in the history of the game, he should be soaking up everything Ronaldo does, not butting heads with him.

Yes Ronaldo was the same when he first joined but he did learn, and he learned quickly. It started to click around age 20, at 22 he was Premier League Player of the Season, a year later he was World Player of the Year. There was never a year where you could say he was stagnant where Greenwood has had a couple already.

Whether it's bad management or something else, somebody needs to get him on the right track.

KeanoMagicHat

He does worry me a little. Clearly a ridiculous talent but his attitude problems have been a shadow on the last couple of years and his progression has slowed. Now we have the rumours of him and Ronaldo not getting along? He's got 2 years to learn from the best goalscorer in the history of the game, he should be soaking up everything Ronaldo does, not butting heads with him.

Yes Ronaldo was the same when he first joined but he did learn, and he learned quickly. It started to click around age 20, at 22 he was Premier League Player of the Season, a year later he was World Player of the Year. There was never a year where you could say he was stagnant where Greenwood has had a couple already.

Whether it's bad management or something else, somebody needs to get him on the right track.
Ronaldo kicked on big time after Van Nistelrooy left, not while he was there. And Greenwood is only just turned 20, he's been much better than Ronaldo up until this point in his career. It's unlikely he'll be as good from 22 to 26, but who knows? If anything I see him as following Ronaldo's style, when Ronaldo needs nobody to follow his style, he needs players to support him. That's where they're butting heads, it's a clash of styles. Greenwood probably looks at how Rooney sacrificed himself for Ronaldo and looks at Rooney and Ronaldo now and wants to be Ronaldo. Can't blame him.

spiriticon

Assuming there is some substance to this shite story, Greenwood has gotta pick his fights right. Ronaldo picking a fight with van Nistelrooy was fine because they were on similar levels at that time, but Greenwood picking a fight with a GOAT who is still levels above him at 37?

I mean, even ignoring their overall game and just judging purely on who can thundercnut it into the net better, I pick Ronaldo every time.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The fallout with Ronaldo is clearly absolutely nonsense btw! Just some people are too dim to see that. That whole narrative has come about primarily due to our own fans deciding that Greenwood is ‘greedy’ because he failed to pass to Ronaldo once, despite the fact when you watch it back the pass isn’t even really on and it was a clear shooting opportunity. The media write what people will read (see the Pogba story). This season it has become popular amongst a selection of Utd fans to single out Greenwood despite the fact he’s played well. I don’t really know where the narrative is coming from (Ronaldo cult maybe?), but it’s seriously damaging for Greenwood and the club really. It’s easy to put 2-2 together and see why the media would create a fake “rift” between Ronaldo and Greenwood.

snk123

The fallout with Ronaldo is clearly absolutely nonsense btw! Just some people are too dim to see that. That whole narrative has come about primarily due to our own fans deciding that Greenwood is ‘greedy’ because he failed to pass to Ronaldo once,
Let's be honest, Greenwood has been extremely greedy and selfish and all our strikers have had this problem whenever Mason has played on the wing. Martial and Cavani's body language was the same as Ronaldo's last year. It's just that Ronaldo is the one who probably wouldn't be so quiet about it.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Greenwood's always been selfish, and many people actually like it. There was a period of few months last season when he couldn't score but kept shooting and being selfish and I remember being criticised for noticing it. But now that we have Ronaldo in the team people who want him to score all the time are bit selfish themselves and are bothered at Greenwood's lack of teamplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.