g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mason Greenwood | 2023/24 Performances | on loan to Getafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorke to Cole

Doesn't matter either way - still better stats than I expected at this point even on league only
Should he steer clear of injury, the numbers will get stronger post the Spanish winter break (22nd December -1st January).

I expect him to hit optimum form from around February onwards. I think the Spring will see him hit a real consistency as physically his muscle memory will be accustomed to the regular training (that he has been missing) and mentally he will be even stronger than he is now.

He will have real grip on the opposition's strengths and weaknesses having played them the first time around.

Strelok

What a cracking fecking strike :eek:

The first touch to trap the ball, the body feint to get himself a little space ahead of the defender, that tiny backlift and the absolutely insane power and accuracy of the shot. That's some world class shite tbh. No keeper gonna save that. He's quite back to his best imo. It's just fecking depressing to think about the whole situation with our attackers.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
So 1 more than Rashford , 2 more than Hoijlund and Antony then.
Good job in putting perspective onto some of our fans. We usually overestimate our players while underestimate players playing in other teams.

With Greenwood in the team Antony won't be bought. The Greenwood saga hit us twice, in losing him and in buying Antony. Disaster of 200m spread in opportunity cost + Antony buying cost.

Bondi77

Amad is unproven at the highest level. Greenwood started regularly for us.
I am well aware of what Mason Greenwood has done wearing a Manchester United shirt.
This thread is a performance thread so it relates to what Mason is doing while wearing a Getafe shirt so I am looking at what he is doing against the lower clubs in Spain and comparing it to what Amad was doing in the Championship.
If Mason starts to carve up the top sides in Spain (of which he is highly capable of) then I will pay a little more attention to what he is doing as I am sure the hierarchy at our club will as well.

Yorke to Cole

I am well aware of what Mason Greenwood has done wearing a Manchester United shirt.
This thread is a performance thread so it relates to what Mason is doing while wearing a Getafe shirt so I am looking at what he is doing against the lower clubs in Spain and comparing it to what Amad was doing in the Championship.
If Mason starts to carve up the top sides in Spain (of which he is highly capable of) then I will pay a little more attention to what he is doing as I am sure the hierarchy at our club will as well.
Who are they exactly? Rhetorically speaking, it is only Real, Barcelona, Athletico. That is why the league is weak at this present time. His statistics are going to be very positive come the end of the season (given he stays fit).

Now, I do not want to stray into the other debate, but I am going to. It is going to be a conflict of his ambition as a footballer and the reality of trying to temper British opinion of him. If he harbours hopes of playing in his home league again, he will have to do some form of media PR to come back. He has to counter all the publicity that happened against him during early August.

That is if he wants to play in the most competitive league in Europe and also be well compensated for it?

Bringing it back to performance, I had no doubts about his potential ability to get back to solid levels in Spain. He has the natural ability to finish and score a variety of of goals and that does not disappear. His movement over the final 20-30 yards is improving. At present he is stable in his levels, which is laying the foundations for even better in the future.

Bondi77

Who are they exactly? Rhetorically speaking, it is only Real, Barcelona, Athletico. That is why the league is weak at this present time. His statistics are going to be very positive come the end of the season (given he stays fit).

Now, I do not want to stray into the other debate, but I am going to. It is going to be a conflict of his ambition as a footballer and the reality of trying to temper British opinion of him. If he harbours hopes of playing in his home league again, he will have to do some form of media PR to come back. He has to counter all the publicity that happened against him during early August.

That is if he wants to play in the most competitive league in Europe and also be well compensated for it?

Bringing it back to performance, I had no doubts about his potential ability to get back to solid levels in Spain. He has the natural ability to finish and score a variety of of goals and that does not disappear. His movement over the final 20-30 yards is improving. At present he is stable in his levels, which is laying the foundations for even better in the future.
Probably throw in Seville and Villareal in there as well and I would say the top ten teams in Spain would be decent quality.
There will be a big PR push on Mason and his family life IMO when we get into January and then public reaction and how the sponsors react will determine where he ends up playing his football.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Anyway back to his performances - two goals in this league? Nowhere near good enough for United he might have found his level.

Strelok

Just watched the highlights of his last match. Easily the best player on the pitch imo.

Getafe had like only two ways to attack they either cross or just give him the ball and expect him to do smth with it. And he almost got a lucky assist as well if the ball didn't hit the bar :D

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Good job in putting perspective onto some of our fans. We usually overestimate our players while underestimate players playing in other teams.

With Greenwood in the team Antony won't be bought. The Greenwood saga hit us twice, in losing him and in buying Antony. Disaster of 200m spread in opportunity cost + Antony buying cost.
Greenwood is a center forward, Antony is right winger. How does losing a cf has any effect on buying a winger?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Just watched the highlights of his last match. Easily the best player on the pitch imo.

Getafe had like only two ways to attack they either cross or just give him the ball and expect him to do smth with it. And he almost got a lucky assist as well if the ball didn't hit the bar :D
Sounds familiar, is the coach Norwegian?

Strelok

Sounds familiar, is the coach Norwegian?
Tbf Ole didn't cross much. Funny thing is TIL Ramazani who scored for Almeria is also an United youth and last time him and MG played together was under Ole :D

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Greenwood is a center forward, Antony is right winger. How does losing a cf has any effect on buying a winger?
Greenwood has spent almost his entire first team career on the right wing. He might develop into a #9 in the future but at this stage of his career (or at least at the stage he was 2 years ago when everything came crashing to a halt) his game seemed better suited to cutting in off the right.

Andersonson

He is doing quite well. Been out for over a year or so? And from the matches i have seen he has been one of the best players for Getafe. Thats saying something and he will only get better.

This loan deal was perfect for him. Will be interesting too see what happens next season

croadyman

He is doing quite well. Been out for over a year or so? And from the matches i have seen he has been one of the best players for Getafe. Thats saying something and he will only get better.

This loan deal was perfect for him. Will be interesting too see what happens next season
Guess it gets made permanent

Strelok

Guess it gets made permanent
It's unlikely imo. He reportedly wants to stay there permanently but I'd doubt if Getafe would have the money unless we decide to sell cheap.

Then it's hard to tell what would be the decision from the new DOF and Sir Jim.

Son

Goal contribution every 2 games is a positive start from the wing. Nothing world class about his stats but will be interesting to see what he does if he ever gets fully back to his best.

I wish him well but I doubt he’ll ever be the standard we need but time will tell. Still rate him higher than Antony but it’s not saying much. Antony has been an utter disaster this season.

ForFuchsSake

It’s crazy how Greenwood was absolutely tiers above Sancho and Antony at the ripe, old age of 18 and being talked about as our potential, long-term striker.

Not really followed his stint at Getafe but have seen he’s starting and scoring more regularly. He’s had a significant chunk of time out which could stunt his development but if he can return to his previous form he will be a lethal player. Not many forwards around that are so two-footed and deadly with either one.

Whether he has a future here is another question but he could still have a great career.

Thiagoal

Goal contribution every 2 games is a positive start from the wing. Nothing world class about his stats but will be interesting to see what he does if he ever gets fully back to his best.

I wish him well but I doubt he’ll ever be the standard we need but time will tell. Still rate him higher than Antony but it’s not saying much. Antony has been an utter disaster this season.
A very odd take! I think it’s obvious he’ll get back to and probably exceed the level he was at playing for United two years ago. That level is very much the standard of player we need desperately

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Should he steer clear of injury, the numbers will get stronger post the Spanish winter break (22nd December -1st January).

I expect him to hit optimum form from around February onwards. I think the Spring will see him hit a real consistency as physically his muscle memory will be accustomed to the regular training (that he has been missing) and mentally he will be even stronger than he is now.

He will have real grip on the opposition's strengths and weaknesses having played them the first time around.
Yes you would now expect him to score/assist even more as he gets used to the league and his new teammates - he's probably not hit full match fitness yet either

The biggest question for me was where he was at mentally as we have seen other players struggle with this for various reasons but seems it's not an issue for Greenwood

Spaghetti

Mom's
In the Championship yes,

Slight difference between that and La Liga, no matter which way you try and spin it.

But goes to show that Amad probably needs a loan at a high level team in similar circumstances really..
Almeria wouldn’t pull up trees in the Championship

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I think you will find that Sunderland are a bigger club than Getafe.
Sunderland missed out on the final play off for the final Premier League position so the standard was pretty high.
With the football we have been playing of late there could be an argument made that we are not playing high level football and if it was down to me then Antony would be put out on loan to make way for Amad as he is just simply a better footballer
Getafe are quite clearly the better team, there's really no comparison at all, this is a club that have been in a European tournament very recently and in the top domestic league.

Greenwood is a better player then Amad currently, Amad needs gametime which he won't get at United hence a loan like this one would be good for him.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Getafe are quite clearly the better team, there's really no comparison at all, this is a club that have been in a European tournament very recently and in the top domestic league.

Greenwood is a better player then Amad currently, Amad needs gametime which he won't get at United hence a loan like this one would be good for him.
Don't want to get sidetracked onto Amad but he'd obviously be getting gametime right now if he was fit because our other attackers are not delivering

Strelok

Fu** him

Impossible to ignore what he did and talk about him purely from a footballing perspective.

But suppose I'll try here.

Two years ago, he was playing as shite and inconsistent as everyone else for the majority. His first season, he looked great but nothing consistent after that. Plenty of people on here were criticising his performances and his attitude.
If my memory serves me right his first break through season was crazy where he outperfomed his xG by a very large margin thanked to his insane natural finishing ability. But rather than that imo he was understandably still pretty raw especially at finding space which is probably the most vital thing for goal scorers.

Second season teams knew he's very dangerous if left alone so they started to doubled down on him and tackled him like crazy whenever he was near the ball. I still remember asking myself how the feck he did not get injured from all those dirty tackles and tricks.

Third season he looked like he's about to turn to a great #9 then Ronaldo came he was pushed to the right again. And tbh the tactic was pass to Ronaldo back then and we were playing like dogshit every weeks so understandably he didn't look very good. Then all went to shite by Jan.

My best memory from him was still his insane and ridiculous shot against Bounermouth when he scored his second goal. He shot with his right foot while was being marked closely by a defender from his left side and his position was far from favorable. The ball went in the top left corner of the goal. I simply can't describe how insane and ridiculous that goal was.

Watch it at 1:42 :houllier:

I still remmember the keeper (Ramsdale I think) shouting 'don't let him shoot don't let him shoot' when he's about to shoot. What a ridiculous hip this lad has. Tbh in my almost 30 years watching football I've only seen RVN pulling shots like that. He's probably the best talent we've produced since Scholes I think.

AFC NimbleThumb

Same guy would be fighting tooth and nail for Greenwood if there wasn't the alleged crime in the picture.
Is this a performance post or the thread in the main Manchester United forum? You can fight tooth & nail for each other elsewhere.

This thread was made to chart his successes or failures as a player not for the morally superior to pretend like anyone talking about his performances isn’t aware of everything.

6 goal contributions in 10 games after a lengthy lay off for the player.

pacifictheme

Hell of a strike yesterday. Cutting in from right wing no less.

all is forgiven mason, welcome back!

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

"Morally Superior"

Next you'll be saying it's woke to care about domestic violence.
You only need visit the General Forum, I’d recommend the George Floyd thread to understand how utterly comical it is that you’d assume I would use the word ‘woke’.

I’d then recommend you visit the Greenwood thread & actually read what I wrote to see that I wholly condemn domestic violence.

Your post is quite frankly utter garbage. There was a poster in here yesterday saying he’d now changed his mind on Greenwood because he’s playing well, I’d suggest you point your ire there.

Anyway, 6 goal contributions in 10 games for the young winger.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The other thread had no recent posts in it? Maybe Noodle was right in that a lot of posts are just performative....

Anyway, he's looking like he will likely get back to and surpass where he left off a while back. If he keeps his head down (and we get some more clarity on the past and his current relationship later this season) then I predict a lot of people changing their opinion - obviously not all though

Status
Not open for further replies.