Mason Greenwood | 2023/24 Performances | on loan to Getafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Just a thought but it was not as important under ole, we were a counter attacking side. Under ETH there is more of a fergie style expectation to work back
It's a good point, but I personally think EtH would have played Greenwood as a striker had the circumstances not been different.

flameinthesun

Watching this second half if I was Getafe I'd start to use Greenwood as a CAM and ask him to drop deeper and try and instigate play. They lack creativity and even at this early stage its clear technically he's a level above the Getafe team. So might be a good idea to see if they can run things through him and get him on the ball more often.

Idxomer

Watching this second half if I was Getafe I'd start to use Greenwood as a CAM and ask him to drop deeper and try and instigate play. They lack creativity and even at this early stage its clear technically he's a level above the Getafe team. So might be a good idea to see if they can run things through him and get him on the ball more often.
This Getafe team plays like a bottom table PL team from the mid noughties. The only thing they do at a decent level is crossing the ball.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
100%. They keep using him as a strictly wide player which isn’t ideal for anyone, particularly in light of how terrible Getafe’s regular attackers are.

NotQuiteManc

This Getafe team plays like a bottom table PL team from the mid noughties. The only thing they do at a decent level is crossing the ball.
That's what I thought too when I watched them before this game. They play like the old Burnley, and even Burnley doesn't play like that anymore. Far from the supposed idea that La Liga is all about technical abilities.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
A couple of decent shots on target today. He won’t do much better unless they use him more centrally.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
A couple of decent shots on target today. He won’t do much better unless they use him more centrally.
I think he is being eased into the season to get his match sharpness and rhythm.

Start him off on the wings but eventually put him in the middle. But will he get the service there?

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Considering the level of his teammates and tactical setup of the team he’s playing for, I’m amazed he got off the mark so soon. I hope for him that he can truly get his career back on track, wherever that may be.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
In January get rid of Sancho and get Mason back :angel:

RedDevilRoshi

In January get rid of Sancho and get Mason back :angel:
I agree that Sancho’s time here is all but over. I thought this Getafe loan for Greenwood is to put him in the shop window? Isn’t his time here over too or not?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I agree that Sancho’s time here is all but over. I thought this Getafe loan for Greenwood is to put him in the shop window? Isn’t his time here over too or not?
Hopefully it is, never know with this club though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't really think he's the right type of player for us anyway, no idea what the future will hold for him but if we look at what we need in our front 3, of course he'd do a job in the squad but he'd be an impact sub/backup for Hojlund I think if he was brought back. On the right he's just nowhere near the right type of player, even looking at today's stats... 60 minutes, 13 touches, 5 passes. He's a pure goalscorer, who knows what his potential is at the top level, but if he'd return I'm not sure he'd ever get ahead of Hojlund and as a wing partner, he wouldn't be the right type of player. We need someone to get on the ball and run at defenders, make things happen, create chances, hold width etc. That's not him at all on the wing. He's a wide forward who works well with a false 9 probably. Same with Rashford to a lesser degree I guess.

Yorke to Cole

Subbed off in minute 60. Decent performance. You can tell he's growing in confidence.
I predict, as I posted a couple weeks when topic opened up, that physically he will be much improved from January onwards. After the Spanish winter break, he will be in much better conditioning and I am sure he will do well.

Nep77

I don't really think he's the right type of player for us anyway, no idea what the future will hold for him but if we look at what we need in our front 3, of course he'd do a job in the squad but he'd be an impact sub/backup for Hojlund I think if he was brought back. On the right he's just nowhere near the right type of player, even looking at today's stats... 60 minutes, 13 touches, 5 passes. He's a pure goalscorer, who knows what his potential is at the top level, but if he'd return I'm not sure he'd ever get ahead of Hojlund and as a wing partner, he wouldn't be the right type of player. We need someone to get on the ball and run at defenders, make things happen, create chances, hold width etc. That's not him at all on the wing. He's a wide forward who works well with a false 9 probably. Same with Rashford to a lesser degree I guess.
Touches and passes are more down to how Getafe plays and they were down to 10 man inside 30 minute. If he gets to the level he was before, he is better talent than hojlund.

dubplate warrior

I want him back. He'll play for the club again next year I think, but for some fans it will require him to bag goals.

Dannn411

Watched first half. Looked better today than previous games. Think its just a matter of getting more minutes under his belt and he will get back to his previous level.

Gandalf

Touches and passes are more down to how Getafe plays and they were down to 10 man inside 30 minute. If he gets to the level he was before, he is better talent than hojlund.
Very debatable. He was a very good player but it was already an issue before his exclusion from the team that he was not really progressing, he scored some great goals from wide right but as mentioned he was not a winger and yet showed little interest in developing his game to become a number 9. Raw ability he might edge Rasmus but in attitude and desire for self improvement Hoijlund has already shown far more and most of our greatest players reached the top because of that drive to improve and not just natural talent.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Well taken goal but my god, that defending. Absolutely no one bothered closing him down.
Still find it weird (I know United is huge so we get more attention and all that) that he is playing in La Liga, every one is reporting on him, it’s on bbc‘s football page that he scored, … but he is not playing for us.

Taribo's Gap

Very debatable. He was a very good player but it was already an issue before his exclusion from the team that he was not really progressing, he scored some great goals from wide right but as mentioned he was not a winger and yet showed little interest in developing his game to become a number 9. Raw ability he might edge Rasmus but in attitude and desire for self improvement Hoijlund has already shown far more and most of our greatest players reached the top because of that drive to improve and not just natural talent.
At the end of his last period with the club, he had that weird tension with Ronaldo when it felt like they were fighting each other for chances and ignoring each other. Probably not the best growth and development environment for a young player.

Mwooyo

People really want Greenwood to flop so bad that they are rewriting history. GW was wayyyyy ahead of hojlund even mentally. This idea that he wasnt progressing is another lie that is being repeated over and over again. He was young and growing into this RW role, its normal to have dips...but he was definitely our best attacker by the time he got suspended. In that whole season, except for ronaldo, he was the shining light.

GW isnt even really a RW...he was a CF and a very good one at that. He joined a first team where we really needed a RW and he could deliver from there better than our other options and so we shoe horned him there...and he delivered. Everything hojlund does now, GW did even better...hold up, dribbling, finishing etc. Hojlund has alot to do to even get into the comparison story with GW.

I get it, he messed up but lets not rewrite history and make him look average yet he was special. Football wise, he was that good. He wasnt a RW but is better than any RW we have had since Ferguson. He was a better striker than hojlund and I am sure if he had stayed this season...it wouldnt even be a debate by the end of the season. Both are good...GW was better

Status
Not open for further replies.