Mason Greenwood | 2023/24 Performances | on loan to Getafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

I cannot tell if you are serious when it's arguably his strongest aspect.
Completely serious, I have been watching him before he moved to Chelsea. He's a decent dribbler but it has never been his strongest aspect. His speed, positioning and final ball are all easily better.

Hammondo

Completely serious, I have been watching him before he moved to Chelsea. He's a decent dribbler but it has never been his strongest aspect. His speed, positioning and final ball are all easily better.
In his early career he was basically a dribbler, not much else to his game.

Oranges038

No, he wasn't. I wouldn't even call him now a very good dribbler.
He's the biggest luckiest shin dribbler ever, just gets the lucky bounces all the time. We've all played with players like that, he was just so lucky at it, it took him all the way to the top of the game. The jammy git.

cafecillos

It is never not funny to read the incredibly wrong takes we, supposedly football fans, post about football on a football forum. Such as Salah is not that good a dribbler, Mbappé is not that fast and/or is just a pace merchant, Hazard and Coutinho were okay transfers for the buying club, etc

Hammondo

He's the biggest luckiest shin dribbler ever, just gets the lucky bounces all the time. We've all played with players like that, he was just so lucky at it, it took him all the way to the top of the game. The jammy git.
We need a way of extracting and bottling that luck.

Strelok

If there's only one club after him then yeah, i think that club will be in a strong position. If there are several then they'll be competing with each other to get there first, which they'll have to do by agreeing a sale with Utd first.

But yeah, it's not going to be £50m
Just read Sevilla (and some Spanish giants according to the article) are interested after his impressive performance at Getafe.

I've checked and even as a sub he always had the highest rating after the match among Getafe players. I don't watch Getafe so no idea though.

Rossa

From what I saw before Jan of last year, he seemed more suited as a sub and wasn’t yet a consistent full time 90 minute type player. Not a big deal given that Ole made a decent career being regarded as a super sub.
He's still very young, so being more effective coming off the bench is no surprise. Players who dominate consistently at an age of 20 is an anomaly.

Rossa

He's not that technical or creative, if you don't have that then usually you need to be really fast, which he is not. He's a really good finisher, a top one, and pretty good at other stuff but not stand out.
He has a brilliant first touch. Can use both feet with ease, and although his speed isn't blistering, I'd argue that he's faster than Mahrez ever was, who created a fairly decent career out right. On top of that, Greenwood is a much better finisher. He'll never emulate a Robben or a young Giggs, a Valencia, a Nani, but he has a fairly unique skillset.

Rossa

Salah was physically miles ahead of Greenwood too. Based on Greenwoods conditioning now, he will never get in the same physical condition, unless he visits the Bayern doctor...
Salah is a physical specimen, but do you honestly think that Greenwood is unable to improve his physical attributes to a high level? Players have been out for more than 12 months due to injuries and come back stronger than ever.

Hammondo

He has a brilliant first touch. Can use both feet with ease, and although his speed isn't blistering, I'd argue that he's faster than Mahrez ever was, who created a fairly decent career out right. On top of that, Greenwood is a much better finisher. He'll never emulate a Robben or a young Giggs, a Valencia, a Nani, but he has a fairly unique skillset.
He's not as technical as Mahrez, robben, Giggs or Nani, though he does have a good first touch yea.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Salah is a physical specimen, but do you honestly think that Greenwood is unable to improve his physical attributes to a high level? Players have been out for more than 12 months due to injuries and come back stronger than ever.
Those players usually spend a lot of time in the gym working on their bodies, parts that aren't injured or do a lot of pre-hab/re-hab strength work. He doesn't appear to have done any of that and has lost significant size, so he would need to pack on a lot of muscle to be an elite athlete again. In order to do that, I don't think it's going to be conducive to playing a lot of football - which he also needs.

Maybe his superior technique will over come the potential deficiencies at the highest level, but I'm not so sure.

redcucumber

He's not that technical or creative, if you don't have that then usually you need to be really fast, which he is not. He's a really good finisher, a top one, and pretty good at other stuff but not stand out.
He is (or was) definitely technical. He was extremely comfortable on the ball and was becoming more of a creator. This idea that he was just a finisher is so bizarre to me. Undoubtedly he'll be up against it to get back to where he was after so long out, though.

Spaghetti

Mom's
He’s only 21 or 22. Plenty of time to bulk back up. Most of his talent was natural rather than hard work, which in this case is probably a blessing for him.

After the couple of years he’s had, I can imagine he will get his head down and add the hard work as well.

I wish him all the best.

Marwood

He'll have to get a move on. You rarely see players physically transform in their mid 20's.

Seems unlikely to me he'll ever make himself a top level athlete. The process should be already well underway at his age.

Red00012

From the Guardian today

Will this mean an end to so many of ye on this thread getting giddy after every tap in, or half decent cross?

Or are you all #masonfans4life?
Feck off to the other thread. Stop derailing this one and trying to antagonize posters on here .

johnnyteutonic

Nah, you probably didnt really watch GW play CF. His hold up was great, he dribbles better than hojlund and passes better too. The only thing hojlund had on GW is being big and fast.

This idea that GW was not convincing as a striker is a big lie, he played for the team when we had an over abundance of strikers who could only play strike. Lukaku, martial, cavani, ronaldo, ighalo etc. Consequently he was moved to the RW because he could play there. But if GW was given a 5 to 10 game run in that position...he would have nailed it down.

People confuse his lack of games in CF for us to mean he was not good there...big huge lie. He absolutely was very very good there. The problem is the other strikers could not play RW. Period.. every thing else is rewriting history to make hojlund look like he can talk to GW.
I seem to recall in his final half-season that he started up front for us in the first 3 matches of the league and scored in all 3. I think that was when CR came in, so he was shunted to the right/benched.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I seem to recall in his final half-season that he started up front for us in the first 3 matches of the league and scored in all 3. I think that was when CR came in, so he was shunted to the right/benched.
Pretty sure you're misremembering, literally everyone of those goals came from the wing.

MTF

Pretty sure you're misremembering, literally everyone of those goals came from the wing.
He started striker vs Leeds and Wolves, and on the wing vs Southampton.

For his goal vs Wolves he was already at RW since Martial had come on to play CF, but against Leeds his goal was when he was playing CF.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He started striker vs Leeds and Wolves, and on the wing vs Southampton.

For his goal vs Wolves he was already at RW since Martial had come on to play CF, but against Leeds his goal was when he was playing CF.
He may have been playing CF at points in the game, but his goals mainly came from the wing:

I don't think Greenwood has ever showed at the senior level he'll be a CF. Everything good he does is from the wing.

Last edited:

Grande

He may have been playing CF at points in the game, but his goals mainly came from the wing:

I don't think Greenwood has ever showed at the senior level he'll be a CF. Everything good he does is from the wing.
I’m sure there is a significant difference between the degrees of certainty, correctness and bombasticness of these two claims.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nah, you probably didnt really watch GW play CF. His hold up was great, he dribbles better than hojlund and passes better too. The only thing hojlund had on GW is being big and fast.

This idea that GW was not convincing as a striker is a big lie, he played for the team when we had an over abundance of strikers who could only play strike. Lukaku, martial, cavani, ronaldo, ighalo etc. Consequently he was moved to the RW because he could play there. But if GW was given a 5 to 10 game run in that position...he would have nailed it down.

People confuse his lack of games in CF for us to mean he was not good there...big huge lie. He absolutely was very very good there. The problem is the other strikers could not play RW. Period.. every thing else is rewriting history to make hojlund look like he can talk to GW.
What a ridiculous post.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I’m sure there is a significant difference between the degrees of certainty, correctness and bombasticness of these two claims.
Well the one where it didn't, the Southampton goal, was the game he played on the wing. Go figure.

So I did change my language on the original claim as I was conflating things. 2 out of the 3 and him playing on the wing for the third game still lines up with my main gripe with the claim.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No idea what the actual idea is within our management or what it'll be with Ratcliffe on him, but from a performance POV this season, Greenwood is pretty much making an easy decision for our management if we are being honest. He has looked incredibly average, not really impressing in any metric at all. There's not a chance in hell we'll take on the media shit storm of bringing him back if he's just some bang average attacker who doesn't do much, which is how he's looked.

Kostov

No idea what the actual idea is within our management or what it'll be with Ratcliffe on him, but from a performance POV this season, Greenwood is pretty much making an easy decision for our management if we are being honest. He has looked incredibly average, not really impressing in any metric at all. There's not a chance in hell we'll take on the media shit storm of bringing him back if he's just some bang average attacker who doesn't do much, which is how he's looked.
There was always the possibility of him never being the same and it might turn out to be the case, but it’s too early imo. The thing is he was such a ridiculous talent that the risk is worth the try.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I believe they have only won 1 (max 2) game since he joined. Obviously the whole team is almost relegation level, but at least he is starting games now and even playing (almost) full 90 minutes regularly.

vva

As I'm his biggest fan, I've tried to watch most of the games he played for Getafe in this season. It might be too early but he's not outstanding or dominate in the play as much as I thought apart from his debut that he show some flash of talent. Most of his shots were out of target or blocked by defender. His general play and passing looked average. And, he also hasn't put enough effort for defensive part.

Kramer

As I'm his biggest fan, I've tried to watch most of the games he played for Getafe in this season. It might be too early but he's not outstanding or dominate in the play as much as I thought apart from his debut that he show some flash of talent. Most of his shots were out of target or blocked by defender. His general play and passing looked average. And, he also hasn't put enough effort for defensive part.
Thanks for sharing. Will look out for more updates from you in future.

I’m also really interested to see how he develops his game. I think it will be another few weeks before he can start hitting much better fitness levels.

December onwards let’s see if he can bring back some of that magic that we know he can produce

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
All of this was entirely predictable and yet they did walk straight into a shitstorm only a couple of months ago. I trust us to do the exact opposite of what any situation calls for.

flameinthesun

Looking like Greenwood has got a second goal

edit: and just did a very tasty nutmeg

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Getafeck. Horrible horrible club to play for but I guess he only needs to be match fit and nothing else

TempusFugit

Getafe are not a very good team, i have watched all their recent games. They struggle to get the ball into the final third and as such can't really utilise Mason properly. He seems to have regained his former movement and finishing and is still as two footed as ever, but he doesn't get many chances to shoot at Getafe. It's really embarrassing that he'd still be our best finisher.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Getafe are not a very good team, i have watched all their recent games. They struggle to get the ball into the final third and as such can't really utilise Mason properly. He seems to have regained his former movement and finishing and is still as two footed as ever, but he doesn't get many chances to shoot at Getafe. It's really embarrassing that he'd still be our best finisher.
I don’t think that’s embarrassing because very few players in world football have his natural finishing ability so it’s not exactly an easy trait. What’s more embarrassing is that he would still easily be our best overall attacking player and that’s after we have spent £150 on his replacements!

cafecillos

Ye weak opposition but couple of goals and involved in others
No, it's not "weak" opposition, it's a team that is last in their "regional preferente" group, having won 5 points in 8 matches. "Regional preferente" is, as @forevrared has said, the sixth tier of Spanish football. The sixth tier in Spanish football means there are 496 clubs in higher tiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.