Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Son

Excellent statement from Arnold, perfect response and shows the club acted with due diligence throughout.

Also highlights that they deem MG to be innocent of the acts from the information they had.

Interesting to note as well that Arnold seemed to be the one making the final decision which highlights how the Glazers seem to be taking a more hands off approach now.
Have they ever been hands on? Maybe I missed the parts when they did or said anything productive for over a decade. :lol:

Dr. StrangeHate

There are text messages where the victim has gone to great lengths to prove the validity, where the player admits he shoved his dick down her throat while she was sleeping but doesnt understand why thats a problem....

I am happy Greenwood wont play for us again, but the media absolutely has different standards when it comes to United.
Apologies I did not know that and should not have commented without knowing the full picture. Audio and pictures I feel have more impact than texts in the public's eyes.

Doracle

Given the police statement when the CPS dropped the case and the fact Greenwood has been shipped, it seems apparent that the 'new evidence', whatever it was, did not clear him.
Clearly it does - otherwise Arnold would not be telling us that he is “satisfied that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with”.

Lyng

Audio and pictures I feel have more impact than texts in the public's eyes.
That is absolutely true, but shouldnt be the case in my opinion. The way the victim of the Arsenal player has been abused online and with no consequense for the player is deeply depressing.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Interesting.
90% of facebook wants MG to stay and be given second chance.
90% of redcafe wants him gone.

Dr. StrangeHate

I dont understand anyone giving the club any credit in this. The club wanted him back, but changed their minds due to outrage from the media.
It was the correct decision but there is zero reason to give the club any credit here.
Is this based on just the athletic story? It was under consideration as per the statement released by the club but there was no final decision.

RoyH1

I agree the issue is now moral, rather than legal, but the 'he's been found innocent' comments are tedious.
It's clear for me for a while that a lot of people have a pretty funny moral compass as long as it means us having more players

pawanraj

This is a mess. ManUtd the club can't come out of this with any credit - no matter what they do, simply because the number of fans they have are too many, to make everyone happy. I personally think Utd did the right thing by eventually excluding him from the club's path forward (how they did it will continue to be a matter of endless debate).

Given today's society it is unlikely any club in the PL / Championship wants to deal with the backlash of taking him on as a player.

It's likely that he'll go to a club in Saudi league or some such, and might return a few years later when things are quieter... If anything, the Club statement is essentially a "come and get him" plea to those clubs - and the club will book that as profit and get around FFP rules.

Lyng

Is this based on just the athletic story? It was under consideration as per the statement released by the club but there was no final decision.
There have been several who have confirmed this. I think Goldbridge is a bit of a tool, but he has in the past been proven to have pretty good connections and he confirmed what Crafton said.

Acquire Me

Already starting to get fans of other clubs wanting Greenwood. Just logged on Twitter today and apparently last night there was an Everton fan live where they spoke about it ffs.
Will get his move pretty easy imo. It’s good for our club. We got enough distractions with everything else going on.

I think we got a good chance loaning him out and in fact get a hefty fee for him if he does well on loan. Or we get a u-turn again. Him scoring 20 goals for someone out on loan would kick off a lot of fuzz.

Tarrou

so they spent a year investigating, for some reason let us know they still haven't decided last week, and now they've decided this week :lol:

Doracle

Will get his move pretty easy imo. It’s good for our club. We got enough distractions with everything else going on.

I think we got a good chance loaning him out and in fact get a hefty fee for him if he does well on loan. Or we get a u-turn again. Him scoring 20 goals for someone out on loan would kick off a lot of fuzz.
There is not a chance we get any money for him. That just isn’t happening in circumstances where we accept he will never play for the club again.

Fabio Rochemback

Agreed.

Raahford got abuse because he thought feeding kids was a good idea and he didn't score for a bit (twelve months later).

Our fans are strange.

The fact is if Greenwood was an average right back, we'd be having none of this. He would have been binned off at the first opportunity and everyone would have got on with their lives.
Facts.

If this was Brandon fecking WIlliams we would not be seeing any of these mental gymnasts telling us the audio is somehow misleading.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He can't defend himself because he'll end up incriminating himself. All of these fecking Greenwood apologists in here, he's a disgusting little wrong'un and I'm in disbelief there are so many here that are so supportive of him.
Absolutely spot on. How anyone can defend him is utterly mind boggling.

The immediate red flag is present when his girlfriend feels the need to audio record him when they’re alone. What comes after this explains why.

Dr. StrangeHate

Interesting.
I don't know the exact figures but even if that is true, a lot of social media is likely people who have a view that charges dropped means he is innocent. Plus a lot of people don't understand that abuse victims still go back to their abuser in many cases. Then there are people who believe most people deserve a second chance.
I am sure there are very few who want him in regardless of what kind of person he is.

gajender

If we end up loaning him without even option to buy no matter the reason then I would seriously Doubt United's Boards Intentions and would actually agree it's kicking the can down the road and revisit this in future .

Spaghetti

Mom's
And what if it was your daughter?

As for forgiveness, thats something that comes after acceptance of ones wrong doing. Something MG has yet to do. It's been what, 2 years? And nothing out of him. What little he has said is just excuses and lawyer speak. It's kinda funny just how desperate people are for goals, that having someone that would do what is on that audio, makes them chat a lot of shit to excuse it. Theres audio and theres pictures. Even if he didn't actually rape her. The threat of rape and threat of violence is more than enough to put the cnut on a rocket and launch him at the fecking moon.
The people whose daughter it is seem to know more than we do, and they are not asking for his head on a stick. Some people will say “it’s because of his money” or make other excuses, but if they’re making things up, it’s because they want him to be guilty. She can get more than enough money from this without needing him.

Perhaps he is telling the truth and he didn’t do the things he was accused of, but has accepted he made mistakes in general (I don’t think he could publicly admit to the things he was accused of because the case can be reopened).

United have said that they don’t believe the audios and pictures are what they have been made out to be. They didn’t have to say that. They didn’t have to say anything about that. The reason I can believe this is through personal experience.

At worst, he made some empty threats. If they were real, and a real danger, she had the perfect chance to run a mile. She didn’t. She stayed and had his kid. They were 19 at the time for heavens sake.

gajender

Facts.

If this was Brandon fecking WIlliams we would not be seeing any of these mental gymnasts telling us the audio is somehow misleading.
There is other side to this as well If it was Brendon Williams it wouldn't be such big story either .

Brophs

The One and Only
United’s inquiries, the club say, lasted five months as they sought to gain a broader understanding of the audio and images that brought this case into the public domain. United spoke with Greenwood during the enquiries but did not have direct contact with the complainant. Instead, they spoke with her mother, with the knowledge of the complainant. The club say that both the complainant and her mother received the opportunity to both comment on or correct the club’s factual findings, but the club says she did not choose to do so.

At a hearing at Manchester & Salford Magistrates’ Court on October 17, 2022, the court had heard that the complainant had made allegations against Greenwood following an ABE (achieving best evidence) interview — a video-recorded interview with a vulnerable or intimidated witness where the recording is intended to be played as evidence in court at a later date — in January of that year. She then provided a retraction statement in April 2022, meaning she had withdrawn her support from the investigation.

The club also say they received explanations for the audio and video that were posted online and say they are satisfied that Greenwood did not physically abuse the complainant. While the club say these explanations were not contested by the complainant’s family, there has not been an explanation for what appeared to be very damning images and audio to the general public. The club also say they became satisfied that the complainant, based on conversations with her mother, had not been subjected to coercive control by Greenwood. The controlling and coercive charge, which he denied and was later dropped, alleged that Greenwood had made threatening and derogatory comments towards the complainant and accessed and monitored the complainant’s social media accounts.
From the Athletic article. Not really a ringing endorsement or denial, is it?

Laurencio

The people whose daughter it is seem to know more than we do, and they are not asking for his head on a stick. Some people will say “it’s because of his money” or make other excuses, but if they’re making things up, it’s because they want him to be guilty. She can get more than enough money from this without needing him.

Perhaps he is telling the truth and he didn’t do the things he was accused of, but has accepted he made mistakes in general (I don’t think he could publicly admit to the things he was accused of because the case can be reopened).

United have said that they don’t believe the audios and pictures are what they have been made out to be. They didn’t have to say that. They didn’t have to say anything about that. The reason I can believe this is through personal experience.

At worst, he made some empty threats. If they were real, and a real danger, she had the perfect chance to run a mile. She didn’t. She stayed and had his kid. They were 19 at the time for heavens sake.
"Empty threats" about bodily harm and murder is in itself a crime...

Marcus

I dont understand anyone giving the club any credit in this. The club wanted him back, but changed their minds due to outrage from the media.
It was the correct decision but there is zero reason to give the club any credit here.
Nobody comes out of this horrible episode with any credit. That's ok.

padzilla

Hipster
Nah, what it looks most like is he was acting like an arsehole but he stopped short of anything actually criminal.
I meant whatever he's done it's still so bad that it wouldn't make him playing for Manchester United again possible.

If it did they would have released it.

Acquire Me

There is not a chance we get any money for him. That just isn’t happening in circumstances where we accept he will never play for the club again.
I am not so sure. We do pay him and own him. Why should we not get money for him. We need to get something and reinvest the money in new player(s).

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Read up on David Goodwillie. He was found not guilty for rape in the court of law however then guilty in a civil case. As a result, any move to football teams in Scotland and Australia has resulted in significant protests from their fans. There were no audio recording for him.

Mason Greenwood is a much higher profile and pretty much everyone has heard this despicable rats words towards his terrified girlfriend.

I’d be surprised if a big clubs takes this gamble of a backlash from their fans.

And people who defend him and ask where his next destination is? Who cares. Shawshank preferably.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

Forgetting for a moment the legal bar for proof, just in general, what possible contexts do you think the audio etc. would be acceptable morally?

mu4c_20le

I meant whatever he's done it's still so bad that it wouldn't make him playing for Manchester United again possible.

If it did they would have released it.
There were rumours from another board that they were in a toxic relationship. If they released anything that made her look bad just to exonerate him, that would be even worse.

antk

I do not know how many times you need to read that but many victims stay with their abusers for years and it has never meant the abuse isn't real or that the victim is somehow responsible for it by not leaving.

Many posts in this thread read like they've never ever interacted with Domestic Violence matters, policies or stats.

None of what I'm saying here proves that MG abused her. People need to understand that their current living situation doesn't prove at all he didn't either.

Acquire Me

If we end up loaning him without even option to buy no matter the reason then I would seriously Doubt United's Boards Intentions and would actually agree it's kicking the can down the road and revisit this in future .
We can’t stop being serious. Yes, moving him on is a good choice for everyone. Not earning money on potential suitors wanting him makes no sense for me.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Have they ever been hands on? Maybe I missed the parts when they did or said anything productive for over a decade. :lol:
Well, we had people on here stating that they believed this decision was all on the Glazers!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Interesting.
90% ? The previous poll was nothing like as high as that. Was something like
21/53/26 stay/go/don't know.

BootsyCollins

I don't know the exact figures but even if that is true, a lot of social media is likely people who have a view that charges dropped means he is innocent. Plus a lot of people don't understand that abuse victims still go back to their abuser in many cases. Then there are people who believe most people deserve a second chance.
I am sure there are very few who want him in regardless of what kind of person he is.
The bolded, yes thats true, but my feeling is that most of the people who wants that tends to be very vocal on social media. So that might skew what people think is United fans opinion on this.

justsomebloke

Clearly very badly handled by the club - they end up without Greenwood AND with greatly angering everyone who wanted him out, while also showing that they're not able to run a good process and are not prepared to stand by their own findings (apparently, the investigation concluded that Greenwood did not do what he was accused of). All of the downside and none of the upside of all options simultaneously, really.