Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Nothing about that has changed my opinion he should stay there for the rest of the season and see things in the round. There's still flaws in his game and I think people frothing at that performance says more about the desperate state our attack is in, rather than where Greenwood is at.
Agree with you in general, but I think a lot of these weirdos would be frothing at the gash for Greenwood even if we had prime Ronaldo(s), Pele, Rooney, Shevchenko and Lewa rotating the attacking positions. It's not even about football anymore, it's about being an arsehole.

TheGame

Nope. I think that regarding GW, a lot of fans have the idea that something worse happened than what actually happened. For example, a lot of comments speak like it is a fact that he raped her or he beat her up...stuff that has no other evidence behind it beyond the clips. The moment someone asks genuine serious questions, a section of the fan base drowns them out with "Domestic violence happens" or "Abusive relationships always begin like this"...but we are not doubting those facts...we are only interested in this case...in knowing what exactly happened here and why there is no other evidence outside the 10 min. Crazily enough, a lot of the facts outside the video clip point to a different conclusion.

The fact of the matter is none of us were there...but guess who was there...the girl.. and she has declined to file charges..in fact from the start she didn't want to do so
Even the father of the girl said the whole thing was being misunderstood
Keyword father of the girl

The police would have loved nothing more than to go to court....the public wanted it, and the clips were there...if this girl was in this abusive relationship with Mason...at least a few neighbors would testify..at least a few friends or schoolmate would testify...at least the father or the mother or grandparents of the girl would testify...at least a sister or brother would speak up...at least some relatives would talk, at least the manutd players or staff would speak up...somewhere somehow somebody would speak.

Even if the police fail...the media scrutiny on this issue would have been so intense...they would be willing to pay 10 times whatever GW and his lawyers are paying to get someone to speak on record (or in secret) regarding this abusive relationship.

The police have gone in...looked at everything extensively for several months...gone to the crime scenes...spoken to hundreds of friends...spoken to all relatives....seen all the WhatsApp and Instagram messages and they have decided that there is no case to prosecute without key witnesses...furthermore Manutd did an investigation of their own into the same issues...they must have also gone through a lot of the same evidence...they concluded in their statement that basically says the same thing "he did not do the things we think he did"

We have a 10-minute clip and a bunch of people who investigated this separately and they both concluded, that there was not enough evidence to convict him for the stuff we think he did...but there are a bunch of fans for whom no matter what statements are shared, they will still ask that he doesn't continue at manutd...So if his innocence doesn't matter, then it was never about Justice. "some people just want to watch the world burn"
You've said the bolded part then made a whole load of assertions about the case itself along with generalisations about domestic violence without actually knowing anything yourself.

Lyng

There'd be a very easy solution if it was a big mix up. His wife could just come out and release a statement saying that it's not what it looked like,
The online abuse she would get would be insane.
There is no way either of them can come out and tell exactly what happened without it having serious ramifications.

And why not? It's 1 statement to publically clear her husband. If of course it's a big mix up. If it isn't, then she wouldn't make one.... Like she currently hasn't.
Erm… because clearly them being back together and having a child and her famiy supporting Mason and them isn’t enough for the same reason.
Victims often stand by their abusers, and a nothing 1 sentence would simply lead to more of that.

It’s ridiculous to think she could say that and everyone would decide, ok he mustn’t have done it then. Have you not read these boards?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Nope. I think that regarding GW, a lot of fans have the idea that something worse happened than what actually happened. For example, a lot of comments speak like it is a fact that he raped her or he beat her up...stuff that has no other evidence behind it beyond the clips. The moment someone asks genuine serious questions, a section of the fan base drowns them out with "Domestic violence happens" or "Abusive relationships always begin like this"...but we are not doubting those facts...we are only interested in this case...in knowing what exactly happened here and why there is no other evidence outside the 10 min. Crazily enough, a lot of the facts outside the video clip point to a different conclusion.

The fact of the matter is none of us were there...but guess who was there...the girl.. and she has declined to file charges..in fact from the start she didn't want to do so
Even the father of the girl said the whole thing was being misunderstood
Keyword father of the girl

The police would have loved nothing more than to go to court....the public wanted it, and the clips were there...if this girl was in this abusive relationship with Mason...at least a few neighbors would testify..at least a few friends or schoolmate would testify...at least the father or the mother or grandparents of the girl would testify...at least a sister or brother would speak up...at least some relatives would talk, at least the manutd players or staff would speak up...somewhere somehow somebody would speak.

Even if the police fail...the media scrutiny on this issue would have been so intense...they would be willing to pay 10 times whatever GW and his lawyers are paying to get someone to speak on record (or in secret) regarding this abusive relationship.

The police have gone in...looked at everything extensively for several months...gone to the crime scenes...spoken to hundreds of friends...spoken to all relatives....seen all the WhatsApp and Instagram messages and they have decided that there is no case to prosecute without key witnesses...furthermore Manutd did an investigation of their own into the same issues...they must have also gone through a lot of the same evidence...they concluded in their statement that basically says the same thing "he did not do the things we think he did"

We have a 10-minute clip and a bunch of people who investigated this separately and they both concluded, that there was not enough evidence to convict him for the stuff we think he did...but there are a bunch of fans for whom no matter what statements are shared, they will still ask that he doesn't continue at manutd...So if his innocence doesn't matter, then it was never about Justice. "some people just want to watch the world burn"
Just one thing, the father of the victim was saying that he was a good boy etc 1 day after his daughter had released it on social media. I thought at the time it was strange and too soon to be saying anything. If it was my daughter my first reaction would be anger, and then when I’d calmed down looking at the facts. I found that strange

Mwooyo

You've said the bolded part then made a whole load of assertions about the case itself along with generalisations about domestic violence without actually knowing anything yourself.
But guess who was there and who knows about all that...the girl, the father, the mother, the family and friends. None of them have come forward.
Guess who else knows about all that...the police and they said they didn't have enough evidence to go forward. Just say you don't want him back..no need to hide behind crimes that didn't happen

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The online abuse she would get would be insane.
There is no way either of them can come out and tell exactly what happened without it having serious ramifications.
She gets online abuse now. Her unnamed friend would get the abuse for making up the claims. It was really an easy matter to clear up if it wasn't real.

It's one thing if you as a supporter are ok to forgive/forget/move on from the incident and focus on the football side. But it's very obvious that what happened in their personal lives was real, and she just forgave him as often happens in these cases.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
He bulked up quite a bit at United, I felt he lost some pace because of that. He looks slimmer and a lot faster now. Unless that AM left back is slow AF.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I mean, the entire footballing country of Spain seems to have carried in like nothing happened, and we had no problem carrying on with Alonso at Chelsea.
People in general can and eventually do walk away from caring all the time, it’s just not close enough to home. Obviously those who feel extremely strongly won’t, but most people just don’t tend to hold such strong feelings over something in the life of a celebrity/sportsman.
But there will always be blowback at United because of the evidence released and the fact it is close to home. Plus, let's not forget that no body else wanted to touch him so that speaks volumes. Of course that won't stay the same, I fully expect a move to one of the bigger Spanish clubs and even eventually back to England.

We agree on people rightly or wrongly carrying on like nothing happened elsewhere, it happens every single day and we all do it in one way or another.

bosnian_red

Erm… because clearly them being back together and having a child and her famiy supporting Mason and them isn’t enough for the same reason.
Victims often stand by their abusers, and a nothing 1 sentence would simply lead to more of that.

It’s ridiculous to think she could say that and everyone would decide, ok he mustn’t have done it then. Have you not read these boards?
Them being together only points to her forgiving him because of what you said in bold. She very easily could have said a vague statement not giving too many details but denying he's either a rapist or an abuser. It was extremely simple for her to do if that assumption was true. Her not doing that literally meant they got shunned from the UK, cost many millions in sponsorships and his future earnings, ruined his career, and banned him for 1.5 years. You seriously think she just wouldn't say something if it wasn't real because of some fan abuse? Hell even while forgiving him and staying with him, she never came out to deny it says a lot.

Lyng

She gets online abuse now. Her unnamed friend would get the abuse for making up the claims. It was really an easy matter to clear up if it wasn't real.

It's one thing if you as a supporter are ok to forgive/forget/move on from the incident and focus on the football side. But it's very obvious that what happened in their personal lives was real, and she just forgave him as often happens in these cases.
The abuse she might be getting now would be nothing compared to the absolute shit storm she would receive if she came out at said it wasnt real. Not only from fans but from the media.
Look at Amber Heard. She cant really get a job or be left alone now.
I wasnt there and regardless of what did or did not happen it is not my place to forgive or move on. I am not in any way a victim in this case.
Like I said I wasnt there and dont want to take a stance on what did or did not happen. I am merely saying that regardless of that, if either of them come out with the truth it would be extremely damaging to them.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
And why not? It's 1 statement to publically clear her husband. If of course it's a big mix up. If it isn't, then she wouldn't make one.... Like she currently hasn't.

It's not an ongoing police case. She didn't report the initial things, her friends allegedly did. It would be very easy for her to close this, if what happened wasn't real.
You are wrong here, we know she did make a statement. One that lead to the CPS taking it forward. Which she and it seems others who also did withdrew:

"In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses"

Also, there's no evidence of "her friends" leaking anything. It came from her account, her phone and her added captions. It's irrelevant anyway, due to the above, but to act like she is going to suddenly come out and say it was all a lie would bring a huge backlash on to her from all angles. One could suggest that if Greenwood truly didn't do what he was accused of, that's the only other possible explanation for keeping quiet and leaving United, protecting her from that.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Agree with you in general, but I think a lot of these weirdos would be frothing at the gash for Greenwood even if we had prime Ronaldo(s), Pele, Rooney, Shevchenko and Lewa rotating the attacking positions. It's not even about football anymore, it's about being an arsehole.
I think the varying reasons behind the staunch defenses of him are very odd. People complain about the thread not being about performance and then when you do actually try to discuss it, you get told you're biased about the whole thing you're not allowed to talk about.

bosnian_red

The abuse she might be getting now would be nothing compared to the absolute shit storm she would receive if she came out at said it wasnt real. Not only from fans but from the media.
Look at Amber Heard. She cant really get a job or be left alone now.
I wasnt there and regardless of what did or did not happen it is not my place to forgive or move on. I am not in any way a victim in this case.
Like I said I wasnt there and dont want to take a stance on what did or did not happen. I am merely saying that regardless of that, if either of them come out with the truth it would be extremely damaging to them.
It really wouldn't be. She easily can blame a friend or say it's not what it seems to be, because it seems like attempted rape and abuse.

Amber heard is a dumb comparison
She accused Depp and went through the legal fight. Greenwood had a kid with his partner and they are together now. It is completely illogical for somebody to actively ruin your own life, cost yourself many millions, shun yourself from your country and ruin your future legacy, have your child grow up in a world where everyone assumes the kids dad abused and possibly raped the mom. It is entirely illogical and extremely bury your head in the sand energy to think that.

Lyng

It really wouldn't be. She easily can blame a friend or say it's not what it seems to be, because it seems like attempted rape and abuse.

Amber heard is a dumb comparison
She accused Depp and went through the legal fight. Greenwood had a kid with his partner and they are together now. It is completely illogical for somebody to actively ruin your own life, cost yourself many millions, shun yourself from your country and ruin your future legacy, have your child grow up in a world where everyone assumes the kids dad abused and possibly raped the mom. It is entirely illogical and extremely bury your head in the sand energy to think that.
How could she blame a friend??? It came from her account.

Amber Heard accused Depp and look at her now. The reason it ended up this way was because of that trial. Depp was dropped from movies etc before the trial.
Greenwoods girlfriend has accused him and now the case is dropped. If it came out that she lied / made it up she would get a treatment similar to Ambers. Believing otherwise is, quite frankly, being naive.

SambaBoy

I'm not sure if it's because of who it is but how can anyone seriously watch that compilation and not be impressed. He's pulling it back into dangerous areas on the regular after beating his man. He's not going to be providing 10 clear cut assists in one game against one of the best teams in the league.

His touches in tight areas are always sound and retains the ball - something that none of our wingers can do. He's streets ahead of Antony/Garnacho.

bosnian_red

How could she blame a friend??? It came from her account.

Amber Heard accused Depp and look at her now. The reason it ended up this way was because of that trial. Depp was dropped from movies etc before the trial.
Greenwoods girlfriend has accused him and now the case is dropped. If it came out that she lied / made it up she would get a treatment similar to Ambers. Believing otherwise is, quite frankly, being naive.
The initial story was a friend posted this from her account overnight when she didn't know about it (could've been hanging out and the friend ust took her phone). Believable scenario where her friend stepped in after multiple events because she didn't want to herself.

So between that and the fact that she is with Greenwood now and not any sort of celebrity makes this entirely different to the Depp case. She would be in a much better position and wouldn't be to blame or get abuse if she came out right away and clarified what happened. She didn't initially accuse him, her friends leaked it from her phone and then the police got involved. It's not a case of her accusing him and then it being false. It's a case of her forgiving him and not cooperating with the police because she doesn't want him in jail, but doesn't want to come out and say the thing that would literally make the situation go away, make them ok to come back to the UK, make it ok for sponsors to paid with Greenwood which would result in millions, etc.. it's crazy to think anyone would just deal with all that if it wasn't actually true in the first place.

Last edited:

TheGame

But guess who was there and who knows about all that...the girl, the father, the mother, the family and friends. None of them have come forward.
Guess who else knows about all that...the police and they said they didn't have enough evidence to go forward. Just say you don't want him back..no need to hide behind crimes that didn't happen
I haven’t said anything at all about him coming back. I’m just fecking sick of people think they know everything and they can make generalisations about domestic violence when they have no fecking clue.

Strelok

But are you just ignoring all the reports of him being unprofessional in training, time-keeping and even supposedly in his attitude to senior players? All those things do not help us play better and win. OK maybe he might have been a bit humbled and not like that now, but it's got to be bit of a red flag, we've seen that with Sancho. That's before we even get onto the topic of his personal life.

I personally don't think his talent is worth the risk.
I haven't seen any report saying he's unprofessional in training or late. Would you share some? The only thing I could remember is he and Foden were banging some girls on international duty I think.

For the attitude to senior players I don't see that is a problem. There's no need to respect someone only because he's older anyway. And afaik he only had an issue with Ronaldo because he thought Ronaldo was finished and probably he's better than Ronaldo. He's not wrong though and ironically Ronaldo had the exact same spat with RVN back then.

Tbh I don't pay attention much to the offield issues of the players or celebrities in general. I only want to watch/enjoy football and their personal life or stuffs like that would be the last thing I'd pay attention to.

My apologies, I thought you were the one saying you now think he's innocent but I'm on my phone now so should have looked back.
There is no need to apologize. And yes I'm one of those who think he's innocent. However you quoted the wrong post. We were talking about his character.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'm not sure if it's because of who it is but how can anyone seriously watch that compilation and not be impressed. He's pulling it back into dangerous areas on the regular after beating his man. He's not going to be providing 10 clear cut assists in one game against one of the best teams in the league.

His touches in tight areas are always sound and retains the ball - something that none of our wingers can do. He's streets ahead of Antony/Garnacho.
OK, I'll indulge. I am impressed at his ability to go past a man and close control - something we don't seem to have. He's may be pulling it into dangerous areas, but he's also not looking up and finding a team mate - the bar isn't providing 10 clear cut assists in a game. Even his involvement in the first goal was because he took a shot and fell to his team mate. He also was playing against 10 men for 60 minutes, so let's not forget the context of playing against one of the best teams in the league.

Our wingers can do that - That is actually Antony's biggest strength. Our wingers can't seem to regularly go past people, which Greenwood appears to do easily.

Mwooyo

I haven’t said anything at all about him coming back. I’m just fecking sick of people think they know everything and they can make generalisations about domestic violence when they have no fecking clue.
And no one is making generalizations about domestic violence. We don't even know if domestic violence happened here for a fact. Just resharing various statements from her family, police, and manutd. Seems to me that It's you projecting your ideas of domestic violence into this case.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The dribbling and skinning was excellent, yes, but how much of that video turns into absolutely nothing? Most of it.
He’s been out of the game 18 months and was arguably man of the match against a decent Atletico team. That’s ridiculously impressive no matter how you spin it! The thing is we know he has end product because we have seen it. It feels disingenuous to me to try and downplay that performance.

TrustInJanuzaj

People have different opinions on players all the time. That's literally the whole point of a discussion board, to discuss.

You clearly want the circle jerk of the performance thread back and are unwilling to engage properly with differing opinions. I still don't think that thread should be gone, I just think EVERYONE taking it off topic should have been kicked out, but then it would be empty anyway :lol:
Doesn’t mean those opinions are correct though! That’s a hell of a performance especially for a player out the game for so long. Of course people are going to complement his talent and when he plays well. Look I get it, some people can’t stand the guy (fair enough) but if you’re in that boat then there’s really no point commenting on his performances because it’s clear that those opinions are swaying their thought process.

TrustInJanuzaj

That clip isn't the only evidence of him being a bellend though. It was the cherry on the cake of a lot of bad reports of his character, that were brushed off as him being immature.

Finding his teammate would be a start. You know, something we absolutely hammer our players for not doing?
You’re right people would hammer our players for that performance. The issue wouldn’t be the performance though, it would be the people criticising it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He’s been out of the game 18 months and was arguably man of the match against a decent Atletico team. That’s ridiculously impressive no matter how you spin it! The thing is we know he has end product because we have seen it. It feels disingenuous to me to try and downplay that performance.
Doesn’t mean those opinions are correct though! That’s a hell of a performance especially for a player out the game for so long. Of course people are going to complement his talent and when he plays well. Look I get it, some people can’t stand the guy (fair enough) but if you’re in that boat then there’s really no point commenting on his performances because it’s clear that those opinions are swaying their thought process.
I acknowledged the excellent dribbling and criticised the flaws in the performance. It wasn't a perfect performance and there's no real point in commenting on his performances if you're someone who wants him back at United because it's clear that those opinions are swaying your thought process if you think it was. :angel:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I haven't seen any report saying he's unprofessional in training or late. Would you share some?

For the attitude to senior players I don't see that is a problem. There's no need to respect someone only because he's older anyway. And afaik he only had an issue with Ronaldo because he thought Ronaldo was finished and probably he's better than Ronaldo. He's not wrong though and ironically Ronaldo had the exact same spat with RVN back then.

Tbh I don't pay attention much to the offield issues of the players or celebrities in general. I only want to watch/enjoy football and their personal life or stuffs like that would be the last thing I'd pay attention to.

There is no need to apologize. And yes I'm one of those who think he's innocent. However you quoted the wrong post. We were talking about his character.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-talking-lateness-club-bosses-frustrated.html
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ed-over-mason-greenwood-application-rpjcqm0xr

For example.

You should respect people who've actually done something in the game when you haven't. Funnily enough he wasn't better than Ronaldo at point, even when he was 36.

That's fine, but you can't really weigh in on the points regarding his personality if you don't have much interest in discussing it having an impact.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
You’re right people would hammer our players for that performance. The issue wouldn’t be the performance though, it would be the people criticising it.
That's not what I said though, so not really sure who you're critcising?
What? Dribbling past defenders is Antony's biggest strength???
No, sorry I should have bolded what bit I meant " His touches in tight areas are always sound and retains the ball"

TheGame

And no one is making generalizations about domestic violence. We don't even know if domestic violence happened here for a fact. Just resharing various statements from her family, police, and manutd. Seems to me that It's you projecting your ideas of domestic violence into this case.
You've clearly stated that because no one else has come forward with a statement, nothing happened. That is a generalisation. You should have been clear and stated you know feck all like you criticise others for doing.

TrustInJanuzaj

I acknowledged the excellent dribbling and criticised the flaws in the performance. It wasn't a perfect performance and there's no real point in commenting on his performances if you're someone who wants him back at United because it's clear that those opinions are swaying your thought process if you think it was. :angel:
Sure, but sounds a lot like you’re downplaying a good showing. I look forward to the next time and Everton player puts in an 8 or 9 out of 10 performance and you’re going in about how they could have done this, that and the other. The fact is he was a consistent problem for a good team all night long and that’s what excites people. If he wasn’t named greenwood and the context wasn’t hanging over his head, would you still see people highlighting those flaws?

Yorke to Cole

No, sorry I should have bolded what bit I meant " His touches in tight areas are always sound and retains the ball"
I have never seen a player slow an attack down as I have in Antony. He has this habit of spinning back inside allowing defenders to track back.

TrustInJanuzaj

Your point seemed to be that he would get criticised for those things on this board, I agree he would because I saw it in his thread when he was here. However, that would be harsh considering that’s a very good performance. Could it be better yes, but he was probably the most dangerous player on the pitch so in context that’s an incredibly impressive display.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Sure, but sounds a lot like you’re downplaying a good showing. I look forward to the next time and Everton player puts in an 8 or 9 out of 10 performance and you’re going in about how they could have done this, that and the other. The fact is he was a consistent problem for a good team all night long and that’s what excites people. If he wasn’t named greenwood and the context wasn’t hanging over his head, would you still see people highlighting those flaws?
I do that regularly. Dyche has been excellent in the past few weeks but still has his flaws and I'll do well to acknowledge that, as everyone should when they're assessing players.

I'd hope people in the Greenwood thread when looking at a Greenwood video would be objective enough to look at a performance and be able to highlight both positives and negatives of said performances if there are any (which there were of both) instead of it becoming a celebratory wankfest or otherwise.

Strelok

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-talking-lateness-club-bosses-frustrated.html
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ed-over-mason-greenwood-application-rpjcqm0xr

For example.

You should respect people who've actually done something in the game when you haven't. Funnily enough he wasn't better than Ronaldo at point, even when he was 36.

That's fine, but you can't really weigh in on the points regarding his personality if you don't have much interest in discussing it having an impact.
Oh I see. Garnacho was also late but he's now just fine I think. Imo that's not a big issue unless it happen regularly but based on the article it's like a couple times that's probably why I haven't seen those.

Regarding the bold part hell no Ronaldo was utter crap by that point. He could not hold the ball, could not pass, could not dribble, refuse or unable to press. He's too slow to chase the ball in a counter. The only thing he's still good was finishing. Hard to tell between the two who was a better finisher but I'm absolutely sure Greenwood was a much better footballer.

And tbh I start to get the impression you just hate him and thus is very biased against him. Of course you're totally entitled to being so but tbh I don't like to discuss with too biased people. It'd be just a wasting of time so let's agree to disagree then I think.

I see my bad as well.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Your point seemed to be that he would get criticised for those things on this board, I agree he would because I saw it in his thread when he was here. However, that would be harsh considering that’s a very good performance. Could it be better yes, but he was probably the most dangerous player on the pitch so in context that’s an incredibly impressive display.
My actual point is the rating of the display was hyperbolic because there were still obvious flaws to his game and you've gone proven my point here.

TrustInJanuzaj

I do that regularly. Dyche has been excellent in the past few weeks but still has his flaws and I'll do well to acknowledge that, as everyone should when they're assessing players.

I'd hope people in the Greenwood thread when looking at a Greenwood video would be objective enough to look at a performance and be able to highlight both positives and negatives of said performances if there are any (which there were of both) instead of it becoming a celebratory wankfest or otherwise.
Fair enough if that’s your style. If I saw Garnacho put in that display I wouldn’t be saying much negative to be honest.