g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

hp88

He needs to stay out in Spain, he will get a load of abuse from the fans and the media will hound him over here.

Madrid looks like a promising project, he could tear it up with them and win a shitload of trophies without any of the distractions, just hoping we squeeze them for every penny if they do come in for him.

One thing that will be interesting to see as well is how the next England manger handles this situation.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Maybe Mason had mitigating circumstances that led to that, or maybe that's not the whole recording.

Hope to live the day when people understand that we're talking out of our ass about it.

Also people need to realize that if he would have been proven guilty, he'd be in jail, no matter what the girl would have been doing, if she would've retracted her complaint or not.
Off course we’re all talking out of our asses, the law is a complicated thing. But I cannot think of a reasonable explanation for that audio. If it has been a game, they’d have come out and said, aside from a bit of embarrassment it’d be done with. I have yet to hear a compelling argument for keeping him. Essentially all I hear is that he can kick a football better than others

a club the size of United doesn’t just have to appease the fans btw

Yorke to Cole

I welcome their interest, I hope they pay way over the odds for him and I wish him constant minor misfortune until the end of his career.
That would also jmpact oh his family. Whilst you at it, you might as well wish him that until the end of life.

RVN1991

He needs to stay out in Spain, he will get a load of abuse from the fans and the media will hound him over here.

Madrid looks like a promising project, he could tear it up with them and win a shitload of trophies without any of the distractions, just hoping we squeeze them for every penny if they do come in for him.

One thing that will be interesting to see as well is how the next England manger handles this situation.
Where's all this Madrid talk coming from? Think their standard is a little higher than that seeing as how they can seemingly have any player they want and will probably have an Mbappe/Vini/Rodrygo/Endryck attack in a few years.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
That would also jmpact oh his family. Whilst you at it, you might as well wish him that until the end of life.
I wish his family all the best and I don't think his earning a few less millions would make much difference to that. Him being a twat would of course.

redNATION

If Ratcliffe is a hard nosed business man like people say he is, he bring Greenwood back for a season or two to maximise his value, and then sell him for 70m+. It would solve the FFP issues we have and balance the books .

Josh 76

If Ratcliffe is a hard nosed business man like people say he is, he bring Greenwood back for a season or two to maximise his value, and then sell him for 70m+. It would solve the FFP issues we have and balance the books .
If he brings him back, why sell him ?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If he brings him back, why sell him ?
Because... FFP? That's pure profit, given he's an academy product.

Which is why the calls to banish him immediately made no sense from a sporting or financial perspective. We're already in a FFP hole, let's take the moral high ground and shoot ourselves in the foot in the process.

Yorke to Cole

Because... FFP? That's pure profit, given he's an academy product.

Which is why the calls to banish him immediately made no sense from a sporting or financial perspective. We're already in a FFP hole, let's take the moral high ground and shoot ourselves in the foot in the process.
Also, there were calls for whatever we sell him for to go to charity. With our finances, I doubt that will happen. You have to reme ber 20% sell on that Getafe now have (apparently).

I would like to see a PR constructed to bring him back and then see what he is like?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Also, there were calls for whatever we sell him for to go to charity. With our finances, I doubt that will happen. You have to reme ber 20% sell on that Getafe now have (apparently).

I would like to see a PR constructed to bring him back and then see what he is like?
That was the peak of insanity on here

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

What's this about?

JagUTD

Are there any recordings of either player being deliberately abusive when denied sex? Anything other than allegations?

If not, it's just whataboutery.

Greenwood has got to go.
Those same recordings were not deemed significant enough to take the case to court.

Yorke to Cole

What's this about?
I do not know if it is official or not, but it was reported that as an incentive for Getafe to take him on loan and at such short notice, United included a 20% sell on fee if another club came and brought him.

That is huge slice of any fee United would receive. The only way that does not become activated is if United take him back.

Demaw

After the vile stuff we seem to put up with in the world and seeing Mason and his girl and child together, the witch hunt should stop. Yes, he made a really serious mistake but I imagine he has learnt a lot from this and been torn apart world wide for two years. The girl's family must have forgiven him as they are still together.

None of us will ever know the fame this kid has been dealing with from 13 years of age. Even over here in Australia, I knew of him at 13-14 being a shoe in. At school, home, club, media fawning over him, yes, he became a horrid person but look at how young he was, and still is. United was his junior team and he has seen that washed away and now playing for some foreign bottom team a long way from home. The police didn't prosecute in the end but of course we know what he said.

Coming back to United will be hugely humbling and I reckon he will learn a lot from life being an United player and changing his ways.

OverratedOpinion

After the vile stuff we seem to put up with in the world and seeing Mason and his girl and child together, the witch hunt should stop. Yes, he made a really serious mistake but I imagine he has learnt a lot from this and been torn apart world wide for two years. The girl's family must have forgiven him as they are still together.

None of us will ever know the fame this kid has been dealing with from 13 years of age. Even over here in Australia, I knew of him at 13-14 being a shoe in. At school, home, club, media fawning over him, yes, he became a horrid person but look at how young he was, and still is. United was his junior team and he has seen that washed away and now playing for some foreign bottom team a long way from home. The police didn't prosecute in the end but of course we know what he said.

Coming back to United will be hugely humbling and I reckon he will learn a lot from life being an United player and changing his ways.
Nah, grown men who beat women and threaten to rape them can stay away from the club for life cheers.

He blew his shot to play for his childhood club by being a nasty, nasty little scrote and can go and "learn his lessons" elsewhere.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Problem is we don't know this at all. Also, the "we seem to up with worse in the world" argument isn't exactly a compelling one.

I don't see why we should risk him potentially being the person we heard on that recording. Leave that to someone else.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
God forbid someone not want the club to make the unprecedented in history move of handing the proceeds of a transfer over to charity because journalists would get angry otherwise.
Speaking of god; one of the most basic tenets of any religion is forgiveness. His partner clearly doesnt have an issue with it.

Yet...

ArmaDino

We can do the same if we sell Varane and Casemiro to the Saudis in the summer. That and also get rid of around 700K/week wages as well, which are 9 times as high as Greenwood's

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

:lol: I’d like to know who suggested this moronic idea

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think judgements based on moral compasses are always difficult cause as individuals and as a club, we all arent consistent in how we apply them whether as a fan or personally.

We have players who have committed crimes still playing at our club, yet they have been forgiven. We have owners who have committed crimes against our club, yet we still buy shirts and turn up every home game. We have black players that are racial abused on line by utd fans and players who have had family members abused in the ground. We have had angry fans protest outside of peoples houses that have children or love one inside. We have had dealth treats to players from utd fans.
Same fans that talk about human rights but want owners where thats questionable in their respective countries.

People might say, they arent 'true' fans but they are, just with a different moral compass and views as a consequence.

I think before we start applying our own views, we need to recognise the context how these are being applied and fresh eyes dont mean clean hands.
So in summary the massive burning straw man you have constructed means we should ignore Greenwood's despicable behaviour and welcome him back. Gotcha.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Speaking of god; one of the most basic tenets of any religion is forgiveness. His partner clearly doesnt have an issue with it.

Yet...
Very well said. Actually society is still standing because 90 percent of transgressions are forgiven. Imagine if there was punishment/ retribution for every one of them.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Very well said. Actually society is still standing because 90 percent of transgressions are forgiven. Imagine if there was punishment/ retribution for every one of them.
Consequence free behaviour. Great plan for a functional and equitable society.

And since a few of you are going down the religious line, isn't a fundamental part of religious forgiveness/absolution admitting and truly regretting your transgressions?

In which case ....

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Think there’s high chance he will move to another big club in future.

Real Madrid - already have Rodrygo who is young and good, so perhaps not likely?
Barca - replacement for Raphinha?
City - not likely as they are stocked with Doku, Foden or even Silva
Arsenal - no chance as they have Saka
Liverpool - replacement for Salah?
Bayern - highly unlikely as they have Sane, Coman, Gnabry
PSG - seems not likely for now as they already have Dembele, who is French. But they do need more firepower up front, especially with Mbappe leaving eventually
Inter - no idea but seems not likely
Juventus - perhaps?

JeffFromHK

Seems the discussion is getting out of topic here? Perhaps we can start a thread somewhere else to discuss whether " a footballer committing domestic violence deserves a permanent ban from football? If so, why (and why you felt okay [Irrelevant point] having a normal career in Chelsea/Barca etc after killing a girl driving drunk?)?"

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Consequence free behaviour. Great plan for a functional equitable society.
So lets wipe out words such as compromise/settlement/adjustment/mutual understanding from the face of the earth and only focus on punishment/penalty/revenge/retributions. Let every act be met with equal punishment and that will surely bring about great balance to the world.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Seems the discussion is getting out of topic here? Perhaps we can start a thread somewhere else to discuss whether " a footballer committing domestic violence deserves a permanent ban from football? If so, why (and why you felt okay [Irrelevant point] having a normal career in Chelsea/Barca etc after killing a girl driving drunk?)?"
can you please find a poster that doesn’t want Greenwood to play football again who thinks it was right Alonso could play football. Anyone at all.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
So lets wipe out words such as compromise/settlement/adjustment/mutual understanding from the face of the earth and only focus on punishment/penalty/revenge/retributions. Let every act be met with equal punishment and that will surely bring about great balance to the world.
Do you think battering your partner should be ignored then? That brings balance to the world?

no one said everyone should be punished equally for any crime, the crime Greenwood committed was horrendous. You’ve made a spelling mistake in your name (the b and w aren’t even close!) and I don’t think you should be punished for that.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Playing professional sport on a huge salary in Spain. Not exactly any meaningful sort of punishment/penalty/revenge/retribution. He lost some sponsorships entirely through his own actions, so cry me a river.

Greenwood apologists are just upset that their shiny sporting toy has been taken away, so they are doing mental gymnastics trying to justify getting him back. It is a terrible look (to be generous).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Do you think battering your partner should be ignored then? That brings balance to the world?

no one said everyone should be punished equally for any crime, the crime Greenwood committed was horrendous. You’ve made a spelling mistake in your name (the b and w aren’t even close!) and I don’t think you should be punished for that.
Morally speaking I think Greenwood has already been kind of being punished as he has been basically “banned” from football for 18 months, which is quit a long time for footballer career, and he has also been despised by the public for lengthy period.

Whether he should be banned longer or even banned “permanently” for his behaviour is up for more debate though.

Legally there’s nothing anything can be done as the case has been dropped upon police investigation and the only victim has absolutely no intention to go any further, so I think we have to respect that.

Besides the victim seems living happily with Greemwood right now, being fully supportive and even raising a kid together, so it’s more of a case of us trying to upholding sense of moral/social values rather then helping out/doing justice for the victim.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
And that’s a consistent moral argument if you confirm you didn’t cheer CR7 upon his return.

But for most, there’s a weird hypocrisy of ignoring the horrific wording used in one case, where the story has been explored forensically by lawyers, for part evidence of a kid whose upbringing the club is partially responsible for.

The “never want him back, made up mind, end of” group should at least admit they are sickened/ repentant for cheering on Ronaldo/ wanting him back, before having any moral authority to make the same case with Mason.
A) If anyone got it wrong about another player that isn't a reason not to get it right about Greenwood.

B) I didn't want Ronaldo back.

C) I was unaware of the accusations against him and would have been even more against his return if I was.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Morally speaking I think Greenwood has already been kind of being punished as he has been basically “banned” from football for 18 months, which is quit a long time for footballer career, and he has also been despised by the public for lengthy period.
On full pay. Oh to be so punished.

Pes6Monster

Those same recordings were not deemed significant enough to take the case to court.
This was because key witnesses pulled out, and unspecified 'new evidence came to light'. The CPS' primary remit is not establishing innocence or guilt, it's ensuring a case is prosecutable.

Besides, we are not contingent on 'court'. That is still Mason Greenwood on those recordings threatening his partner with sexual violence.

There is no mitigation for that. The player has got to go.

Nah, grown men who beat women and threaten to rape them can stay away from the club for life cheers.

He blew his shot to play for his childhood club by being a nasty, nasty little scrote and can go and "learn his lessons" elsewhere.
Quite.

The idea Greenwood is the victim of a 'witch-hunt' is absolutely pathetic and predictably ignorant.

Also, there were calls for whatever we sell him for to go to charity....I would like to see a PR constructed to bring him back and then see what he is like?
United's finances include a 1.25 billion investment for a quarter of the club, followed by other investments to do up the stadium. Financial opportunities are lucrative and abound at United.

If the finances are precarious, why waste thousands on 'constructing PR' for abusers like Greenwood when we could just get on cultivating staff who don't threaten their partners with rape when sex isn't forthcoming.

I'd imagine the investors and advertisers (we need them for money) would be risk adverse, too, so why all this risk for one player who has never won a trophy with us, and, again, threatens people with rape.

Yakuza_devils

Playing professional sport on a huge salary in Spain. Not exactly any meaningful sort of punishment/penalty/revenge/retribution. He lost some sponsorships entirely through his own actions, so cry me a river.

Greenwood apologists are just upset that their shiny sporting toy has been taken away, so they are doing mental gymnastics trying to justify getting him back. It is a terrible look (to be generous).
I'm really curious. If it's ok in Spain why it's not in UK?