g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mason Greenwood (Please post respectfully)

Do you want Mason Greenwood to return next year ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Wonder what percentage of the yes' here are pro Qatar and what percentage of no's are anti Qatar. Have a feeling it's similar in that one group cares about their morals over United success, and the other is 100% success and don't care about off field stuff. Everyone's entitled to their views.
I am in favour of Qatar but don't want him back.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The biggest conundrum about Greenwood, ignoring the moral side, is this guy could overperform his xG consistently or that is to say, score when getting zero to no service.

And we just don't have anyone like this in our squad. If we did, I don't think many of us would care.

I would imagine this is broadly the case.
You and a few others are really great at imagining things when it suits.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Not black and white for me, there needs to be some meaningful show of contrition and not just words or statements.

He needs to acknowledge that what he did is unacceptable and there are no excuses or mitigating factors, I think he needs to be involved in something publicly that provides support to women who have suffered assault and abuse, this would need to be financial and physical support
he needs to be involved personally

If that happens then maybe redemption can be possible, the Women's team need to be on board with this as well as the men's, otherwise he should be gone

Edwards6

I dont care if the charges were dropped , they were dropped because she would not give evidence.
We all heard the tapes, he was not found not guilty and I dont care about the innocent till proved guilty, a jury was not given that choice.
I never want to see him a United shirt ever again.
This is spot on. Just because he got away with it doesn't mean he never did it, people keep bringing up the fact she's back with him but they're forgetting he was charged with controlling and coercive behaviour

Withnail

You'd be surprised at the amount of consesual roleplay of that kind of nature that goes on. That's not me saying that's what happened, but it's the only explanation I can think of that isn't disturbing.
I know about consensual roleplay and for me that wasn't it. He sounded legitimately frustrated/angry and she sounded legit upset unless they should both be in Hollywood winning Oscars.

saivet

Wonder what percentage of the yes' here are pro Qatar and what percentage of no's are anti Qatar. Have a feeling it's similar in that one group cares about their morals over United success, and the other is 100% success and don't care about off field stuff. Everyone's entitled to their views.
I'm no and more in favour of Qatar over Ineos (though I'm okay with either).

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Regardless of what happens, the club need to make a decision soon. We can't have another distraction threatening to disrupt our preparations for next season.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Casemiro - Eriksen
Antony - Bruno - Rashford
Greenwood​

Assuming he wasn't an asshole would this attack have scored more than 58 league goals this season? Would we have won EL/FA cup?
Eriksen will never start a big game again after today. He will start against the poor teams that we dominate alright.

Telsim

I want Qatar and voted "Yes" here as well.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
For those talking about if the girlfriend forgives then we should too... My girlfriend used to live next door to someone who was domestically abused. He nearly killed her several times and hospitalised her more than once and she always went back. It's a phenomenon in domestic abuse. Just because she forgave him and his having his kid etc does not mean he is reformed.
Is it enough to say he hasnt reformed? Its very easy to judge but the facts are we dont know everything and the courts werent able to convict, without the full picture i refuse to cast judgement and will consider only the footballing element. That may seem shallow and I cant comprehend any facts eluded to the recording that would justify it but hes legally innocent and my interest in him is what he can do on a football field only, I cant judge him, I dont have millions of pounds at a young age and everybody around me telling me how amazing I am.

UDontMessWith24

What he did was terrible. Normal and everyday people do horrible shit all the time. For instance - being a shitty husband/wife or a lazy parent for years is horrible.

People on this very forum have probably cheated, taken advantage of, manipulated, lied, deceived, stepped on people to get ahead etc.

Also, not trusting the legal system is a huge can of worms. Innocent until proven guilty is fundamental. We also don't know the full story.
You don't see why beating the hell out of a defenseless woman is on a completely different spectrum than anything you just listed?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I dont care if the charges were dropped , they were dropped because she would not give evidence.
We all heard the tapes, he was not found not guilty and I dont care about the innocent till proved guilty, a jury was not given that choice.
I never want to see him a United shirt ever again.
Agree.

GreatDane

Charges are dropped and he's still with the same girl.
Thats enough for me, always felt a bit overblown.
Not a fan of canceling people just because you have an unproven opinion about them.
Bring him back in
Did you hear the audio or see the pictures?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
If we are sold to Qatar then we can as well have Greenwood back.

crossy1686

career ending
I hope lessons are learned, and i believe in second chances. I really hope he's sorted his shit out and the whole experience has been sobering for him. Any more silliness and he's gone before it even hit's the news.

Syphon Wallet

I mean did you hear the recordings?
Yes, but I thought it sounded like an interaction that is possibly normal for them as a couple.

I don't know and the charges are dropped and he's still with her.

So it may not be perfect, but I'm not a fan of throwing someone's life away based on what I just said.

Joseunited

Charges dropped, back with the same girl and she's pregnant.I'd reintegrate him back into the team but i think the negative publicity will force United to look to move him on.
He is a fecking idiot though.

led_scholes

I feel we played a part to grow his ego back with the Iceland thing. We should have punished him harder then.

Now, I voted no. The recordings were awful.

(I think we did with Maguire the exact same thing with the Mykonos incident. We really did nothing to overblown his confidence. Not that I m equalling Maguire's football clown behavior with what Greenwood did out of the field)

SolskjaerHasDoneIt

Absolutely not. For the sake of United's PR he'll never play for us again.
Who cares once a trophy is won, it's all a facade. Sick of so many other clubs cheating and allowing rapists/criminals to play for their club and being rewarded for it yet United are expected to hold the moral standards.

Yes, in an ideal world these kind of people should be persecuted for their crimes but Greenwood was cleared of charges unlike other top players.

Seveneric

Roughly 65% of this forum want Qataris so why is it a surprise. That regime have done far worse things than Greenwood have done too.

Where do people draw the moral line? Overlooking all that stuff but drawing the line at Greenwood makes no sense to me. You're either pro both or against both in my eyes.

I'm against both FYI.
It’d be interesting to observe if there are people who are for one and against the other. Would be ironic and lacking self-awareness

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Was always quite proud how Utd handled the situation. Especially compared to arsenal who had similar but handled it very differently

than again it also always felt a bit hypocritical considering we allowed Ronaldo to return

anyways it’s a big no from me. Release him and he can be someone else’s problem

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
The charges are dropped and he is with the same girl.

He is undoubtedly a twat and a nasty piece of work, but I would say he deserves a chance to redeem himself. Then again, would I be saying that if he wasnt such a highly rated talent? Probably not.

We have seen Arsenal playing Partey all season despite the charges/allegations against him. There are probably plenty of other footballers who are complete knobs and have done all sorts of unsavoury stuff. Ideally, kick them all out, and especially from United. But still, charges have been dropped - if we are binning him off permanently then it is purely down to his personality and reputation (which was already a bit of a question mark - hopefully he has learned and grown up).

Abraxas

I don't think it's worth it. It's hard to unhear that stuff as far as the public is concerned.

Even if there was a perfect explanation for what happened that largely absolved Mason for the known material, it is not going to make things hunky dory for us with our sponsors and with the media and public. So while losing his career with us would be terrible for Greenwood if we had the wrong end of the stick, I'm more fecking concerned about Man United than one footballer. That's just the harsh reality of a situation where there is no perfect outcome that sits pretty for everyone involved. So I'd take the one that gives us less problems as a football club, which impacts many, many people.

Besides, losing a career with us is not losing his entire career. I also think that if he's honest with himself he'd realise he's better rebuilding himself away from England. He needs to get fit, and get out of the spotlight and focus on football and he'd be far better placed to do that elsewhere. To me that feels the best situation for everyone.

However, I think we do have to do our due diligence no matter what we do. We have to completely understand the situation around the case and the sentiment employing him would garner, if we're doing that. And if we're sacking him we need to be legally informed so we don't get sued. So it's right the club takes it's time.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
If we don’t give our youngsters a second chance then what’s next? For me as a father and grandfather he’s welcomed back because I don’t like this cancel culture.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Regardless of what happens, the club need to make a decision soon. We can't have another distraction threatening to disrupt our preparations for next season.
Even if they decided soon, it still wouldn't resolve the problem of (assuming he stays) actually playing him in competitive matches without his presence becoming a disruptive factor to overall team play in front of oppo fans.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He can have his second chance somewhere else, thanks.
Fecking fortunate to get that too, I may add.

Status
Not open for further replies.