Mason Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickson

Different type of players in some ways but very similar in others.

Technically Morrison was the better player at that age and controlling things from deep or from the #10 role...gliding past people. Greenwood plays more up front and cuts in from wide positions.

Greenwood is more two footed and quicker but Morrison read the game better and was more mature...more of a team player.

Morrison could make the ball sit up and talk...Greenwoods eye for goal is outstanding.

Two brilliant youth prospects...let's hope Mason turns his potential into being a quality first team player.
I don't quite agree with that. As you said, Morrison glides past players. Obviously, Greenwood is quick but I really feel that's his only weakness, he could be quicker and faster. Imo Morrison was quicker than him, especially first metres.

I don't agree with the second thing in bold either. One of the things that impress me most with Greenwood is his maturity. He always makes the right decision, know when to shoot and know when to pass and although he's the main striker, if anyone is in a slightly better position, he passes the ball. Almost always. I'm not saying that Morrison didn't. But when you considered how many goals he has scored and that he is the main guy and the main striker, it's quite fascinating that he still doesn't get cocky and selfish.

jb8521

I don't quite agree with that. As you said, Morrison glides past players. Obviously, Greenwood is quick but I really feel that's his only weakness, he could be quicker and faster. Imo Morrison was quicker than him, especially first metres.

I don't agree with the second thing in bold either. One of the things that impress me most with Greenwood is his maturity. He always makes the right decision, know when to shoot and know when to pass and although he's the main striker, if anyone is in a slightly better position, he passes the ball. Almost always. I'm not saying that Morrison didn't. But when you considered how many goals he has scored and that he is the main guy and the main striker, it's quite fascinating that he still doesn't get cocky and selfish.
Greenwood was 1 of the top sprinters & long jumpers in his age group in England before he gave them up to concentrate on football so quickness definitely isn't a weakness, the 3rd goal against Chelsea showed just how quick he is.

DanClancy

Thankfully Greenwood's personality is nothing like Morrison's; Thats the big difference between the two.

I know several of the coaches told the powers that be under the previous regime that Greenwood is ready to make step up to the first team so with OGS in charge I'd say there's a chance we might see him sometime this season if not in the near future. There's a lot of excitement amongst the coaches, most of them think he's the best lad of that age they've ever worked with.

mav_9me

Thankfully Greenwood's personality is nothing like Morrison's; Thats the big difference between the two.

I know several of the coaches told the powers that be under the previous regime that Greenwood is ready to make step up to the first team so with OGS in charge I'd say there's a chance we might see him sometime this season if not in the near future. There's a lot of excitement amongst the coaches, most of them think he's the best lad of that age they've ever worked with.
Wow. Surprised because he hasn't even been promoted to the reserves but they thought he is ready for the first team? Doesn't compute for me.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

I think it has more to do with the positions they play. You kind of want a more selfish player up front and more of a team player in midfield.

That's still a difference.

In terms of maturity, Morrison was both instinctive and naturally tactically astute. I think Greenwood has the instinct (particularly in front of goal)...I just haven't seen the latter in the same degree.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I want to see him, Chong and Gomes involved during the 2nd half of the season. There is no downside to exposing them to first team football early.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Yes there is...but the coaches know what they are doing.
Exposing them to the level they'll be aiming for doesn't harm them in any way. I'm not talking about starting them week in week out.

Bestietom

I was looking at the game on Monday night against Chelsea when he scored a hat trick. This young man could do a Job now for us, Mellor is another who played up front with him, great understanding between the pair.

I seen Carrick and McKenna there, Butt and Phil Neville and then Woodward pops his head outside the door.

No Mourinho, so I thought "whats this" then I heard the news on Tuesday morning that he had been sacked.

mav_9me

There was something special about Morrison. Maybe I'm romanticising him now but the game came naturally to him. He just knew what to do. In addition to great technique. He was good enough technique wise to play in Barcelona's tiki taka. Maybe I'm over doing it.

Even if it didn't work out, I'm always glad I at least watched Morrison and Rossi.

Speaking of Rossi, if not for injuries he would have been a fine player too. His progress here was thrown off when we brought Tevez in to play with rooney. In hindsight I would go with Rossi.

Mr. MUJAC

Exposing them to the level they'll be aiming for doesn't harm them in any way. I'm not talking about starting them week in week out.
That's why they get to train with the first team on a regular basis...to expose them.

The coaches then work out if they are ready temperamentally, emotionally, physically...

Mason has only played against 17-18 year old boys up to this point. It's totally different against grown men. That's why there is such a thing (for some players) to be exposed too early.

People at the club know much more than we do...he will get his chance in due course.

DanClancy

Wow. Surprised because he hasn't even been promoted to the reserves but they thought he is ready for the first team? Doesn't compute for me.
He was on the bench last week in Valencia. United had a huge game against Chelsea they were desperate to win and clearly they'd have no chance of doing so without Greenwood. There are mitigating factors.

Moriarty

Mason has only played against 17-18 year old boys up to this point. It's totally different against grown men. That's why there is such a thing (for some players) to be exposed too early.
How true. Something Matt Busby and Jimmy Murphy knew only too well. Rare was the player who was able to hold his own at age 16 against the big lads. In recent memory I can think of a handful. Rooney and Whiteside being prominent. Maybe Michael Owen.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's why they get to train with the first team on a regular basis...to expose them.

The coaches then work out if they are ready temperamentally, emotionally, physically...

People at the club know much more than we do...he will get his chance in due course.
He did get minutes in this years pre season and IMO didn't look out of place. He's ready physically, but I agree let's be patient.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Why? he's already 5'10+ and certainly isn't weedy. We've seen plenty of smaller kids play with half his talent.
He's not "weedy" but he is quite lean, he uses his strength very effectively against people his own age but he'll struggle to do the same against adults at the moment.

JohnnyKills

Wouldn't be surprised if he's on the bench for Cardiff.

The fact that Mourinho took him in the squad for Valencia suggests he's pretty much ready physically.

Adam-Utd

He's not "weedy" but he is quite lean, he uses his strength very effectively against people his own age but he'll struggle to do the same against adults at the moment.
The way he plays is hardly physical anyway. He peels away into channels and runs at defenders. His hold up play is generally a 1 touch pass backwards to a team mate or spins away and dribbles.

While he obviously needs to fill out a bit he'd be no worse than Rashford was when he first joined.

Beaucoup

The way he plays is hardly physical anyway. He peels away into channels and runs at defenders. His hold up play is generally a 1 touch pass backwards to a team mate or spins away and dribbles.

While he obviously needs to fill out a bit he'd be no worse than Rashford was when he first joined.
Again, I disagree, it's misleading when you see players on TV or even live on the pitch, when you actually stand next to him you realise he's still a young boy.

Mickson

Greenwood was 1 of the top sprinters & long jumpers in his age group in England before he gave them up to concentrate on football so quickness definitely isn't a weakness, the 3rd goal against Chelsea showed just how quick he is.
He is quick, no doubt. Just argued that Morrison might be even quicker. But it's just what I can see from my TV, no fact about it and not important right now hehe. My feeling is though, that Greenwood isn't exactly Rashford-fast over long distance either. If I were trying to find something that isn't top class about him, I would probably name his speed over distance. Would you agree?

I think it has more to do with the positions they play. You kind of want a more selfish player up front and more of a team player in midfield.

That's still a difference.

In terms of maturity, Morrison was both instinctive and naturally tactically astute. I think Greenwood has the instinct (particularly in front of goal)...I just haven't seen the latter in the same degree.
Fair enough. Yeah, they are different players and plays in a different position. Such a shame about Morrison, because like you I can still remember how ridiculously good he was.

Adam-Utd

Again, I disagree, it's misleading when you see players on TV or even live on the pitch, when you actually stand next to him you realise he's still a young boy.
Which is what i'm saying, you don't have to be a full grown man to be good at top level football anymore.

Obviously against certain defenders like Van Dijk or similar then he's going to struggle, but if he does get minutes he won't be played as a target man that's for sure.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Glad to read that Carrick and McKenna were at the Chelsea game to watch his hatrick.

No doubt they'll be telling Solksjaer who deserves a chance from the youngsters.

Although reading people comparing him to Mbappe's development is getting ahead of themselves. Mbappe is already one of the worlds best. Let's calm our shit a bit.

I remember telling my housemate that Wilson would be better goal scorer than Kane (when he was killing it for our academy, while Kane was just breaking into the Spurs team). How badly that turned out.

Mr. MUJAC

I've been following the United youth team since 1980 and one thing I know for sure is that making predictions is virtually impossible.

I've seen players who I thought were nailed on to make it fall by the wayside...and others I never rated that highly make 100's of appearances and win international caps.

Making predictions is a minefield.

I've only ever seen 3-4 dead certs...all the rest are all maybe.

Let's wait and see how Mason progresses and enjoy the journey.

AltiUn

Glad to read that Carrick and McKenna were at the Chelsea game to watch his hatrick.

No doubt they'll be telling Solksjaer who deserves a chance from the youngsters.

Although reading people comparing him to Mbappe's development is getting ahead of themselves. Mbappe is already one of the worlds best. Let's calm our shit a bit.

I remember telling my housemate that Wilson would be better goal scorer than Kane (when he was killing it for our academy, while Kane was just breaking into the Spurs team). How badly that turned out.
That's only one poster to be fair, from what I remember other more clued up posters were saying Mbappe was regarded as one of the best talents in Europe long before he broke through into the first team anyway.

Classical Mechanic

I've been following the United youth team since 1980 and one thing I know for sure is that making predictions is virtually impossible.

I've seen players who I thought were nailed on to make it fall by the wayside...and others I never rated that highly make 100's of appearances and win international caps.

Making predictions is a minefield.

I've only ever seen 3-4 dead certs...all the rest are all maybe.

Let's wait and see how Mason progresses and enjoy the journey.
Bojan at Barca comes to mind. Scored something like 900 goals for Barcelona youth and was thought to be a dead cert for Barca and Spain. He’s admitted since that the weight of expectation was too much for him and is now playing in The Championship with Stoke.

I think Mason has all the technical qualities in the world but it’s if he’s hungry enough and can cope with the pressure of elite level football.

Smores

People should be patient rather than wanting a new shiny toy. The lad would benefit immeasurably from grafting in the championship first before being integrated into our first team

Thiagoal

I think if he were start from the right (a position in the squad that is up for grabs) the physicality element is somewhat negated (I'm sure Mason would beat Mata in a strength dual).

The thing I love about him more than his technique, pace, clinical finishing is the maturity he shows. He always seems to make the right decisions, his work rate is phenomenal and anyone at the game on Monday would appreciate his leadership skills. He was talking to his team mates all match and giving them instructions while also shouting to the bench that we needed more control in midfield on numerous occasions. He very much seems to have his head screwed on and Mata also mentioned what a nice guy he is off the pitch! He'll be a top, top player of that I am certain!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
People should be patient rather than wanting a new shiny toy. The lad would benefit immeasurably from grafting in the championship first before being integrated into our first team
Like every other talented youngster to make it in the PL?

Smores

And those that didn’t? Like Sterling? Rashford? Owen?

Point is, it’s not mandatory.
Both Sterling and Owen played for a nothing club before moving on.

Rashford for me would have benefited hugely by going out on loan and is not an a good advocate for developing at a top club.

AltiUn

He'd be better off going to Germany than the Championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.