Mason Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think he should be given a spot on the bench and given minutes here and there to see how he fares. Now Mourinho is gone I see an opportunity for our younger players under Ole. It's also fantastic that McKenna will be there to coach and give advice on the youth.

dutchred

As I said Before I would love to see him at Ajax for a year. A team that loves to attack and are struggling for a Center forward. Dohlberg hasn't rediscovered his form since his injury and Huntelaar is pushing on

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Both Sterling and Owen played for a nothing club before moving on.

Rashford for me would have benefited hugely by going out on loan and is not an a good advocate for developing at a top club.
Maybe and maybe not. Loads of kids go out on loan and don't get games, sit in the reserves, deal with changes in managers. It's Russian roulette.

It's different for every player. It worked for Evans and Welbeck but not for most of the others who went out.

The majority of people on here, me included, don't see players grow, develop and mature day in and day out.

Let the coaches and clubs work out the best career route for each player. They won't all get it right of course but that's their job.

DanClancy

Greenwood turned 17 just 2 months ago, going out on loan would be a ridiculous idea and is never going to happen. If he doesn't break into the first team squad this year he'll be with the u23's next season, if he finds that level as easy as the youth team then I'd imagine United may look at loaning him out. I suspect he'll be with the first team from next August anyway if he continues to develop like he has done so far.

FromTheBench

He's like our third choice striker at the moment and we like to use our 2nd choice as a starter out wide while our first choice is struggling.

So why would we loan him?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Think next year is when we will see him properly in and out of the first team.

deafepl

As I said Before I would love to see him at Ajax for a year. A team that loves to attack and are struggling for a Center forward. Dohlberg hasn't rediscovered his form since his injury and Huntelaar is pushing on
If Ajax is desperate to win the league, they must get Greenwood, he's perfect striker for their style of play, Ajax/Barca DNA.

He'lmurderyah15

Greenwood turned 17 just 2 months ago, going out on loan would be a ridiculous idea and is never going to happen. If he doesn't break into the first team squad this year he'll be with the u23's next season, if he finds that level as easy as the youth team then I'd imagine United may look at loaning him out. I suspect he'll be with the first team from next August anyway if he continues to develop like he has done so far.
great shout

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would like him to get some cameo appearances if we get some nice FA cup draws this year, and a view to a bigger role next year. I'd say best case scenario if he keeps progressing like this than by the 2020/21 season we can hope for a decently active role, but not really before then. He just turned 17... By the end of next season he might be included more and more as a sub, but unlikely to be more. Anyway, hope he keeps his head down and progresses properly. Martial, Greenwood, Rashford would be a brilliant future.

jb8521

He is quick, no doubt. Just argued that Morrison might be even quicker. But it's just what I can see from my TV, no fact about it and not important right now hehe. My feeling is though, that Greenwood isn't exactly Rashford-fast over long distance either. If I were trying to find something that isn't top class about him, I would probably name his speed over distance. Would you agree?

Fair enough. Yeah, they are different players and plays in a different position. Such a shame about Morrison, because like you I can still remember how ridiculously good he was.
I think his running style is deceptive, he never really looks like he's flat out sprinting but he has a really long stride so actually covers the ground extremely quickly. I'd say he's probably quicker than most over a distance & it's very rare to see him beaten for pace.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Both Sterling and Owen played for a nothing club before moving on.

Rashford for me would have benefited hugely by going out on loan and is not an a good advocate for developing at a top club.
:lol: Hehe

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Would like him to get some cameo appearances if we get some nice FA cup draws this year, and a view to a bigger role next year. I'd say best case scenario if he keeps progressing like this than by the 2020/21 season we can hope for a decently active role, but not really before then. He just turned 17... By the end of next season he might be included more and more as a sub, but unlikely to be more. Anyway, hope he keeps his head down and progresses properly. Martial, Greenwood, Rashford would be a brilliant future.
These things can never be scheduled in this manner. All we can control is when a player is introduced to the first team. What happens after that is largely up to him. If Greenwood makes an instant impact in the first team and scores goals, then we won’t wait another two years before we play him properly. Just as we didn’t wait a further two years with Rashford, Monaco didn’t with Mbappé and so on and so forth with every other highly talented teenager that broke into the side.

The trajectory you described is like that of much less talent than Greenwood - the path the likes of Fletcher or Neville would take. The Rooneys and Owens of this world don’t follow such paths, but it’s up to them.

SATA

Wow as good a hat trick i will ever see. Genuine question - Is he one of our own like Rashford or did we pluck him from some other club's academy?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Wow as good a hat trick i will ever see. Genuine question - Is he one of our own or did we pluck him from some other club's academy?
Think I read somewhere that he's been with us since he was 8/9, so I'd guess we're his only club.

We need an rvn

Everyone has a different opinion on youth players like this.
1 - go out on loan to X to gain experience
2 - stay at the club at learn from our players here and get in when you deserve it

As excited as I am about the kid, he needs to have people around him with a sensible head and do what he feels is best for him.

Personally I'd love it if we made a decision and said something like sign a new 4 year contract but go out on loan to a club like RBL / Dortmund to ply your trade for a guaranteed 2 years and have that stability but in a weaker league and away from the glory of the PL / United - although I doubt they'd agree to that.

As for the hattrick - it was a youth hattrick. Very well taken but the tricks and skill wouldn't beat many top defenders or keepers at the PL or CL in my opinion

bosnian_red

These things can never be scheduled in this manner. All we can control is when a player is introduced to the first team. What happens after that is largely up to him. If Greenwood makes an instant impact in the first team and scores goals, then we won’t wait another two years before we play him properly. Just as we didn’t wait a further two years with Rashford, Monaco didn’t with Mbappé and so on and so forth with every other highly talented teenager that broke into the side.

The trajectory you described is like that of much less talent than Greenwood - the path the likes of Fletcher or Neville would take. The Rooneys and Owens of this world don’t follow such paths, but it’s up to them.
Yeah, but he just turned 17. That's incredibly young no matter how good he is. Messi only really got a first team role for Barcelona once he turned 18 (the summer before the 05/06 season) and he made 25 appearances in all competition that season. That timeline would basically him being the 2nd half of next season having an impact on the squad, and again, only really establishing himself in the first team as a bigger role until the 2020/21 season. He turns 19 in that season. Mbappe only turned into a starter and a key player for Monaco after he turned 18, and he's a once a generation talent. Rooney started off early because of how developed he was physically. Ronaldo was 18 and a half when he joined United. Sancho right now for Dortmund is turning 19 in a few months. He only started getting a bigger role with Dortmund this season, when he was again, 18.5. Greenwood is a year and a half from that age.

Of course he's incredibly talented, but people need to realize that 2 months ago he was 16 years old. People progress quickly at a young age, but even as a very promising youngster who develops quickly, you can't expect anything out of him til the 2nd half of next season as a best case scenario, when he is a few months past his 18th birthday. How often do you see a freshly turned 17 year old literally do anything at a first team level? Simply getting a sub appearance and not being thrown around like a kid will be a positive.

This season is way too soon for him. Next season, more likely the second half of the season. He'll be 18 still by the time the 2020/21 season starts, don't forget.

SteveW

I don't expect Greenwood to ever go on loan. He won't need it. He'll train with the first team and he's good enough that he'll be given regular first team cameos in the near future.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

I agree

Rashford wouldn't have got the opportunity he did if it wasn't for a injury crisis and LVG having the courage to play him. I think Greenwood should be given a taste of first team football and I think we may just have the guy in charge to give him a opportunity now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah, but he just turned 17. That's incredibly young no matter how good he is. Messi only really got a first team role for Barcelona once he turned 18 (the summer before the 05/06 season) and he made 25 appearances in all competition that season. That timeline would basically him being the 2nd half of next season having an impact on the squad, and again, only really establishing himself in the first team as a bigger role until the 2020/21 season. He turns 19 in that season. Mbappe only turned into a starter and a key player for Monaco after he turned 18, and he's a once a generation talent. Rooney started off early because of how developed he was physically. Ronaldo was 18 and a half when he joined United. Sancho right now for Dortmund is turning 19 in a few months. He only started getting a bigger role with Dortmund this season, when he was again, 18.5. Greenwood is a year and a half from that age.

Of course he's incredibly talented, but people need to realize that 2 months ago he was 16 years old. People progress quickly at a young age, but even as a very promising youngster who develops quickly, you can't expect anything out of him til the 2nd half of next season as a best case scenario, when he is a few months past his 18th birthday. How often do you see a freshly turned 17 year old literally do anything at a first team level? Simply getting a sub appearance and not being thrown around like a kid will be a positive.

This season is way too soon for him. Next season, more likely the second half of the season. He'll be 18 still by the time the 2020/21 season starts, don't forget.
Messi had growth issues and was given steroids due to being tiny. That's the reason he was held back from what i've read.

bosnian_red

I agree

Rashford wouldn't have got the opportunity he did if it wasn't for a injury crisis and LVG having the courage to play him. I think Greenwood should be given a taste of first team football and I think we may just have the guy in charge to give him a opportunity now.
Rashford was 18 years and 4 months when he got his chance basically. Young players do just need to be given a chance sometimes, like Rashford was. But you look at any of the great players recently or any of the ones who broke through for United. How many did it before 18? Giggs was the season he turned 18. Scholes when he turned 19. Ronaldo was 18.5 when he joined United. Messi was after 18. Mbappe really broke through with a first team role after he was 18. Beckham was 19/20. The Brazilian Ronaldo turned 18 at the start of his first season in Europe. The list goes on. The most any of these had as 17 year olds (especially those that just turned 17) was the random sub appearance in meaningless games with the pressure off. Greenwood might get that close to the end of the season, but its unreasonable to expect more. Hes still at the very least a year away from having any type of impact. More likely would be the 2nd half of next season and then the 2020/21 season (if he continues to progress quickly without any hiccups). He just turned 17. That really cant be emphasized enough if they think hes in the situation where he just needs a chance. There is playing youth, and then there is trusting someone who just turned 17 to be able to hack it in the premier league right away. The list of players that was able to do that is basically Rooney and nobody else in the recent past.

SATA

Rashford never needed a loan and he's developing along fine. If the boy is good enough, he'll play here regardless of age and training with top class players everyday

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Rashford was 18 years and 4 months when he got his chance basically. Young players do just need to be given a chance sometimes, like Rashford was. But you look at any of the great players recently or any of the ones who broke through for United. How many did it before 18? Giggs was the season he turned 18. Scholes when he turned 19. Ronaldo was 18.5 when he joined United. Messi was after 18. Mbappe really broke through with a first team role after he was 18. Beckham was 19/20. The Brazilian Ronaldo turned 18 at the start of his first season in Europe. The list goes on. The most any of these had as 17 year olds (especially those that just turned 17) was the random sub appearance in meaningless games with the pressure off. Greenwood might get that close to the end of the season, but its unreasonable to expect more. Hes still at the very least a year away from having any type of impact. More likely would be the 2nd half of next season and then the 2020/21 season (if he continues to progress quickly without any hiccups). He just turned 17. That really cant be emphasized enough if they think hes in the situation where he just needs a chance. There is playing youth, and then there is trusting someone who just turned 17 to be able to hack it in the premier league right away. The list of players that was able to do that is basically Rooney and nobody else in the recent past.
My point was, Rashford when he got his opportunity it was due to pure luck. He was playing in the u-18s at the time, when we had a injury crisis and LVG had the courage to throw him into the deep end. Rashford bypassed the under 23 team and was thrown into the deep end because we had a guy at the club in LVG who had the courage to do that. Many including myself didn't think he was ready, but until a young player who is exceptionally talented is given a opportunity we can only speculate.

Ryan Giggs made his debut aged 17 yrs and 3 months against Everton as a sub.
Michael Owen was barely 17 when Liverpool first team coach Roy Evans was quoted as saying "if you're good enough, you're old enough" then handed a 17 year old Owen his debut in a game he scored in a few months later. I can give you other examples too.

I'm not saying we should throw Greenwood straight into the first 11. But he should be considered as a bench option considering we don't have a clinical CF at the club. He falls into the exceptional talent category and should be given minutes here and there imo.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
My point was, Rashford when he got his opportunity it was due to pure luck. He was playing in the u-18s at the time, when we had a injury crisis and LVG had the courage to throw him into the deep end. Rashford bypassed the under 23 team and was thrown into the deep end because we had a guy at the club in LVG who had the courage to do that. Many including myself didn't think he was ready, but until a young player who is exceptionally talented is given a opportunity we can only speculate.

Ryan Giggs made his debut aged 17 yrs and 3 months against Everton as a sub.
Michael Owen was barely 17 when Liverpool first team coach Roy Evans was quoted as saying "if you're good enough, you're old enough" then handed a 17 year old Owen his debut in a game he scored in a few months later. I can give you other examples too.

I'm not saying we should throw Greenwood straight into the first 11. But he should be considered as a bench option considering we don't have a clinical CF at the club. He falls into the exceptional talent category and should be given minutes here and there imo.
Owen is an interesting example because even though he was absolutely brilliant at a young age, he was overplayed and eventually ruined by the injuries he picked up over the years. Arguably he'd have been better off playing less. Having said that, he definitely showed he was good enough to play in serious games and I suspect Greenwood wouldn't be a million miles away were he to get the chance. Natural finishers who also have tricks, pace and strength as well as two fantastic feet don't come along all that often. He needs to pick up some minutes in easy games really though to show he's ready.

VJ1762

Man, I wish we had a striker like RVP right now.

Wish Greenwood becomes like this in the future. He is like a fast forward version of RVP.

P.S. Arsene Wenger is the real MVP of the 12/13 season.

mav_9me

I don't expect Greenwood to ever go on loan. He won't need it. He'll train with the first team and he's good enough that he'll be given regular first team cameos in the near future.
Agreed

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Don't bring Mbappe to Greenwood level, Greenwood is in another league at the same age as Mbappe, even at 17 where Greenwood is taking the piss of Juve, City, Chelsea twice, etc in youth, scoring a lot of goals and assist, Mbappe don't have the same number stats as him, not comfortable with two foots as Greenwood. Mbappe is comfortably ahead of him but in the few years, Greenwoods can do it much better than him if it going well for him when he'll break through.

If Greenwood can transform his footballing into senior for United in PL and other competition, he'll be the real deal, thank god we have him.
Please wait wait wait English players are always massively overhyped. This kid has not even played first team football yet. Mbappe is 19 only two years older and the way he tool the football world by storm by performing and scoring big goal in a semi final CL run and being a key player in a record breaking Monaco team along with a wc medal and finals goals is incredible. Like I said let's not overhype him. His name should not even be in the same sentence as mbappe.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah I'm all for feeling good about the kid. But let's refrain for crazy comparison's.

In Rainbows

Please wait wait wait English players are always massively overhyped. This kid has not even played first team football yet. Mbappe is 19 only two years older and the way he tool the football world by storm by performing and scoring big goal in a semi final CL run and being a key player in a record breaking Monaco team along with a wc medal and finals goals is incredible. Like I said let's not overhype him. His name should not even be in the same sentence as mbappe.
Yeah, it was a pretty crazy comment which is why I didn't bother refuting it. Mbappe is a freak.

The only comparison to be had which I feel is valid is how everything Greenwood tries, he pretty much does with quality. It's a trait similar to Mbappe. Same goes for decision making. However, it's another thing to look like that at youth level and look like that at first team level. The game speeds up on you and gives you less time to think which obviously makes kids look like, well, kids.

Deafepl, here is Mbappe at 15 years old

You know what I loved about Greenwood's last performance? I loved that he tried to chip the keeper from distance. He's not afraid to test his limit right now.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Yeah, it was a pretty crazy comment which is why I didn't bother refuting it. Mbappe is a freak.

The only comparison to be had which I feel is valid is how everything Greenwood tries, he pretty much does with quality. It's a trait similar to Mbappe. Same goes for decision making. However, it's another thing to look like that at youth level and look like that at first team level. The game speeds up on you and gives you less time to think which obviously makes kids look like, well, kids.

You know what I loved about Greenwood's last performance? I loved that he tried to chip the keeper from distance. He's not afraid to test his limit right now.
He is a talented lad no doubt but the English kids tend to be very very very overhyped by English fans and media which is why I don't like to judge them on youth level and wait to see how they adapt and play when it becomes fast paced first team football.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
People go crazy with the idea of sending our youngsters on loan. Mason should stay here, he's just 17.

The fact that he was selected for first team duty against Valencia under Mourinho just shows how highly rated he's within the club. I'd love for him to be given a chance but he's hardly played u23 football too, some patience would be nice.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Shola Shoretire looks more impressive than Mbappe at 15 imo. Not saying Shoretire will be on the same level but from that vid i'd say Shoretire looks better.

Thiagoal

Shola Shoretire looks more impressive than Mbappe at 15 imo. Not saying Shoretire will be on the same level but from that vid i'd say Shoretire looks better.
And I believe Shoretire is 14

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Can you guys calm down and stop comparing every kid with Mbappe. Guy is a freak and what he did at such young age is just remarkable.

Beaucoup

I could make a compilation video of half the kids in our academy that would make them look better than both those players. Comparing player's via Youtube is complete nonsense.

SteveW

Let's not compare him to Mbappe before he's even played first team football.

Status
Not open for further replies.