Mason Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I trust the club to get it right in terms of when he's ready for first-team football. That said, the likes of Sterling and Macheda were getting first team minutes when they were only 17 so I'd like to think Greenwood will get some cameos at the same age.

JohnnyKills

There's a bigger picture here though isn't there. You've only got to look at Rooney to see how a player who starts early can burn out early too. Most players only have a certain amount of mileage it seems.

But I'd definitely be aiming to give Greenwood some minutes in the first team over the next few games, if nothing else to keep the feelgood factor going. We've also got a congested schedule so if he could take 5-10 minutes here and here, it could really help the likes of Lukaku and Rashford.

Then I'd be aiming to send him somewhere like Ajax or Dortmund asap. You've only got to look at Sancho to see the benefits that playing abroad can bring.

Beaucoup

There's a bigger picture here though isn't there. You've only got to look at Rooney to see how a player who starts early can burn out early too. Most players only have a certain amount of mileage it seems.

But I'd definitely be aiming to give Greenwood some minutes in the first team over the next few games, if nothing else to keep the feelgood factor going. We've also got a congested schedule so if he could take 5-10 minutes here and here, it could really help the likes of Lukaku and Rashford.

Then I'd be aiming to send him somewhere like Ajax or Dortmund asap. You've only got to look at Sancho to see the benefits that playing abroad can bring.
Not really a valid reason for a young players development, he's doing fantastic, no need to rush.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I could make a compilation video of half the kids in our academy that would make them look better than both those players. Comparing player's via Youtube is complete nonsense.
Really? Let's see you make one..

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

Given we have one of the best records for developing talent in the world...not sure there is a good reason to send our best talent abroad. We have never done it before.

I agree with the motto 'if you are good enough you are old enough' so let the coaching staff do their jobs and the lad will do fine.

If he needs a loan they will organise it...if not they will keep him under wraps at Carrington.

90% of loans don't work out so not sure you want to risk that with one of your brightest talents.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Can you guys calm down and stop comparing every kid with Mbappe. Guy is a freak and what he did at such young age is just remarkable.
Indeed, let Greenwood be Greenwood.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Given we have one of the best records for developing talent in the world...not sure there is a good reason to send our best talent abroad. We have never done it before.
Didn’t we loan a bunch of people to Antwerp in the 00s? Granted not our very “best”... but still. There is some precedent.

Utdstar01

Didn’t we loan a bunch of people to Antwerp in the 00s? Granted not our very “best”... but still. There is some precedent.
Yeah but they weren't successful. Think Cofie went along with a few others.

Utdstar01

O'Shea, Evans, Cathcart, Shawcross, Gibson, Simpson, Campbell, Ebanks-Blake, Heaton, Bardsley and Higgingbottom went there. All had excellent careers.
I'd say excellent is probably an overstatement for a lot of those but those two in particular in bold. The level of football would've been rubbish so cant say how beneficial it would've been.

Classical Mechanic

I'd say excellent is probably an overstatement for a lot of those but those two in particular in bold. The level of football would've been rubbish so cant say how beneficial it would've been.
They had excellent careers, all things considered. Not every player can be a world beater. Ebanks-Blake made 76 PL appearances and Gibson made 94 PL appearances.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Evans was easily the best talent who went out there. Fraizer Campbell very good too, don't remember if Rossi went, don't think so?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
O'Shea, Evans, Cathcart, Shawcross, Gibson, Simpson, Campbell, Ebanks-Blake, Heaton, Bardsley and Higgingbottom went there. All had excellent careers.
We loaned out a total of 29 players to Antwerp.

Bardsley, Chadwick, G. Clegg, Davis, Blake, Fox, Heath, Higginbotham, Hilton, Johnson, O'Shea, Rachubka, Tate, Wallwork, J. Wood, N. Wood, Campbell, Evans, Gibson, R. Jones, Martin, Shawcross, Simpson, Eckersley, Heaton, Gray, Lea, Cathcart, Cofie.

Of those 29, eleven never made our first team and another dozen made only a handful of appearances.

Whilst many of the others had good careers with other clubs only really O'Shea and Evans had long careers at United. And you could argue that Evans learned more at Sunderland than at Antwerp.

So while the loan probably didn't hurt anyone in terms of career prospects at United...for 90% it didn't make a real difference.

RooneyLegend

The sooner we have a functioning team the better as it'll make it easier to develop players. Exposing the to the current mediocrity will only harm these very talented lads.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Solskjær on youth: “If you’re good enough you’re old enough. I really hope I can be apart of that tradition. There’s some great youngsters coming through.” [mutv]

TheForgottenOne

Solskjær on youth: “If you’re good enough you’re old enough. I really hope I can be apart of that tradition. There’s some great youngsters coming through.” [mutv]
Lets hope that him and Chong not playing with the u23 tonight is a good sign and that they (or at least 1 of them) will be included in Saturdays squad.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Lets hope that him and Chong not playing with the u23 tonight is a good sign and that they (or at least 1 of them) will be included in Saturdays squad.
I had a thought yesterday that it'd be awesome if the two of them alternate starts for the next few matches, with the other replacing them after 60 minutes or so.

Not going to happen, but it'd be great.

Smores

Think Greenwood might come of the bench tomorrow to make his debut.
Probably i think we were close to that anyway with Greenwood and now we'll want the added positivity. I just hope he isn't rushed into it for the sake of a managers brief

L1nk

People are seriously comparing World Cup Winner Kylian Mbappe to Hasn't even played a first team match Mason Greenwood? 'kin hell this forum sometimes :lol:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
People are seriously comparing World Cup Winner Kylian Mbappe to Hasn't even played a first team match Mason Greenwood? 'kin hell this forum sometimes :lol:
I think it’s more they’re comparing 17 year-old, hadn’t even played a first team match Kylian Mbappe to Greenwood, and speculating as to whether the latter might follow in Mbappe’s path. Nothing wrong with that.

(Edit): silly me, just saw that Mbappe made his Monaco debut at 16. Never mind.

Just saw this vid on Twitter I didnt realise his finishing was so good!

TsuWave

its been said multiple times, but to me its so freakish how much he resembles RvP in his play style

mav_9me

His finishing is his 2nd best attribute. First being his two footedness.

its been said multiple times, but to me its so freakish how much he resembles RvP in his play style
I've seen people say it but I didn't know whether to take it seriously, I can definatley see the RVP comparisons after watching that complilation.

Status
Not open for further replies.