Mason Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
His two footedness looks brilliant. Technique exactly what you want as well. Anyone know how big he is? Hard to say from the few pre season games we saw and highlights from the youth teams, but he is a newly turned 17 year old so will still be growing. No idea how he is in the air but I'd imagine once he really develops physically (like we've seen with Rashford) he'll be more equipped to handle that in the league.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Sounds like I need to watch the academy more often.
u18s are worth a watch for individual and team quality, u23s are worth watching for the individual quality, not the style of our football.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He seems to dribble with his left foot mainly and contorted himself a bit to score a volley on his left foot earlier in the season when it landed on his right. Other than that it would be almost impossible to tell. He is genuinely superb with both feet. Bobby Charlton like in his two footedness.
Plus there is very little backlift in both legs whenever he shoots.

lysglimt

Scout
Oh yeah completely forgot about O'Connor, I still think Laird edges him for me. They're both brilliant though.
They are both brilliant - but Laird is a beast, O'Connor is still small so he needs to grow a bit of muscle.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I am not sure about that. He took pens with his right leg which usually is an indication of his prefered foot. But this is the genius about the lad.
I haven't seen him take a pen, so that really surprises me. I've seen him hit some absolute beauties on his left foot. He seems like an absolute diamond.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If he gets his debut, he will surely find space in the Bournemouth defence.

Litch

They are both brilliant - but Laird is a beast, O'Connor is still small so he needs to grow a bit of muscle.
I think Laird is outstanding and I can't get over how much he's grown in 12 months. You can see from his body shape he's going to be a strong lad and if he continues to grow, we are going to have one of the best CB to come out the academy....

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think Laird is outstanding and I can't get over how much he's grown in 12 months. You can see from his body shape he's going to be a strong lad and if he continues to grow, we are going to have one of the best CB to come out the academy....
I don't think physique is what Laird lacks for first team level though...

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
There's no chance of this lad going on loan imo. He'll be carefully nurtured within the club. He'll soon start getting cameos which will increase in regularity as he gets stronger. Wouldn't be surprised if he's a first team regular by this time next year.
I agree, with the first bit at least. He does need to keep progressing in terms of the level he is playing, but a loan may not necessarily be the path to do it.

Taking a 17 year old away from a well established support network, (club, coaches, friends and family) a place he feels able to express himself and putting him in a new environment could backfire.

The concept of loans is a good one, but they obviously don't always work out as we might expect or want. The focus is not going to be nurturing and developing a player, it's going to be on what that player can deliver in the next 3 or 6 months at the top level of that club. If the player develops its a by product. Of he doesn't immediately aid the cause (promotion or survival etc), very quickly it's a stint on the bench.

I don't think it's as simple as 'if he's good enough, he will make it'. The wrong loan could have a real negative impact.

Obviously loans have worked well for us in the past. Welbeck, Beckham, Lingard. Henderson is getting plenty of minutes and development at Sheff Utd...and id say Demi Mitchell the same.

All of those are, and were, older than Greenwood currently is (I think).

As for the second parts of the post, I'd certainly hope so. It'd be great if that was his path. He has to be considered for Reading, as do Chong, Gomes and Garner.

After that, who knows? Certainly would like to see those 4 in and around the squad, if not the bench for the rest of the season.

A good loan may well suit any of those 4 in the coming years. Not necessarily now.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Anyone have any idea if he’ll feature against Reading?

Barnslig

Anyone have any idea if he’ll feature against Reading?
Think I remember reading somewhere he had been told by Ole to prepare himself for the Reading game, so I would guess he's gonna feature to some extent.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Think I remember reading somewhere he had been told by Ole to prepare himself for the Reading game, so I would guess he's gonna feature to some extent.
Yeah he will play the 1st teamers initially until it's won,then Greenwood/Gomes may come on.

With 5 choice forwards,it's unlikely he'll start but we can pray

SemiPro

I'd love to see him get a call up to the 1st team squad soon. He's been consistently performing in the youth setup this season and now is the perfect time for him to take the step up to senior level. Though we are still in the race for top 4 I feel like the next 6 months will be the biggest opportunity for him to get minutes under his belt.

Next season we will most likely have a new manager that will want to play the established/proven players in our squad to make a sustained challenge for the league. I also feel like Ole would be the perfect person to help him make the transition.

Reactions: Sultan

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah he will play the 1st teamers initially until it's won,then Greenwood/Gomes may come on.

With 5 choice forwards,it's unlikely he'll start but we can pray
I dunno, I suspect we might see Lukaku, Sanchez and Greenwood with Chong and Gomes coming off the bench but we'll have to see I suppose.

khoazany

I dunno, I suspect we might see Lukaku, Sanchez and Greenwood with Chong and Gomes coming off the bench but we'll have to see I suppose.
Gomes will start imo since he's the one most involved with the first team in the last few weeks. Chong might. Greenwood probably will come off the bench, as with Garner.

We need an rvn

Gomes will start imo since he's the one most involved with the first team in the last few weeks. Chong might. Greenwood probably will come off the bench, as with Garner.
Think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself if I'm honest. Granted they're in the relegation spot in the Championship but I don't see Ole giving 3 reserve players their debut in one match against men who will be up for a scalp and up for a battle - not putting aside we'll most likely rest Pogba / Rashford / De Gea etc. Sanchez needs game time as does Lukaku before we go off on a break, we've got Pereira who is needing game time too. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or 2 make an appearance but 4, no chance

MDFC Manager

Think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself if I'm honest. Granted they're in the relegation spot in the Championship but I don't see Ole giving 3 reserve players their debut in one match against men who will be up for a scalp and up for a battle - not putting aside we'll most likely rest Pogba / Rashford / De Gea etc. Sanchez needs game time as does Lukaku before we go off on a break, we've got Pereira who is needing game time too. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or 2 make an appearance but 4, no chance
Fred will play I think. Probably Fellaini too.

In attack Martial, Sanchez and Lukaku will start I think.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Hope we go,

Romero

Back four

Fred
Pereira
Gomes

Chong
Lukaku
Sanchez

Greenwood and Garner among the subs

Devil81

Hope we go,

Romero

Back four

Fred
Pereira
Gomes

Chong
Lukaku
Sanchez

We want to win the FA Cup due to the fact its the only likely trophy we could win this season. I can't see him risking a midfield like that given the importance of the competition.

POF

I'd be amazed if any of them start. Fellaini, Fred and Pereira in midfield. Jesse, Lukaku, Sanchez in attack. They all need games.

I'd expect Gomes and Greenwood to get 20-25 minutes off the bench.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'd be amazed if any of them start. Fellaini, Fred and Pereira in midfield. Jesse, Lukaku, Sanchez in attack. They all need games.

Yup

MDFC Manager

This.

SteveW

Sounds about right

In Rainbows

Jesse doesn't need game time. He's played a lot under Ole. Lukaku and Sanchez yes. Neither of them have gotten a start.

I understand Fellaini too, but he's clearly not going to fit what Ole wants and he's clearly not the future.

POF

Jesse doesn't need game time. He's played a lot under Ole. Lukaku and Sanchez yes. Neither of them have gotten a start.

I understand Fellaini too, but he's clearly not going to fit what Ole wants and he's clearly not the future.
Jesse played about 5 minutes at Newcastle. He's likely to start at Spurs so he'll need a run out before then.

If not Fellaini, there is no back up for Matic. I'd love to think James Garner is ready to play but it would be a big risk.

Redo91

Jesse? He was rested against Newcastle as he had played the previous three games. He certainly doesn’t need games.

Grande

Hope we go,

Romero

Back four

Fred
Pereira
Gomes

Chong
Lukaku
Sanchez

I’d say one of these is realistic, regardless of who is manager.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Reading couldn’t cut a piece of paper with scissors in their hands.
Reading are shite but they're physical, that midfield would struggle. No physical presence whatsoever.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Reading are shite but they're physical, that midfield would struggle. No physical presence whatsoever.
If we move the ball fast enough it won't matter if they're 6'5 giants.

Barca's midgets and City with Silva x2 seem to manage fine.

In Rainbows

Yep. I think Pogba is the perfect example of how physical strength helps you. Pogba uses his body to shield the ball to give himself more time on the ball, and allows him to ride tackles while dribbling, but that is only possible with his level of technique as well. Also helps on set pieces. If you're just strong with mediocre technique you won't be able to do that.

As long as the side has superior technique, is able to 1 touch pass, has composure, have quick feet, and has passing ability, our midfield should win that battle.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Who is the Busquets or Fernandinho in our midfield 3 though? I'm happy to see Pereira and Fred there, but Gomes as well? You're asking for trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.