Mason Holgate

plasandrunt

Does retrospective action come into play when falsely accusing someone of racism too?

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool
I’m not lip reader but it’s seems pretty clear what he’s saying, but obviously not 100%.

What I don’t get is the delayed reaction from Holgate, he waits, then reacts, looks like typical teenage behaviour of trying to get out of trouble by making it seem the other person did something worse.

MAME DIOUF 32

Holgate is lying. I know this because Liverpool fans on an internet forum told me so.

Holgate should get banned for the push regardless of what else happens to Firmino. It was dangerous and totally unacceptable.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
I’m not lip reader but it’s seems pretty clear what he’s saying, but obviously not 100%.

What I don’t get is the delayed reaction from Holgate, he waits, then reacts, looks like typical teenage behaviour of trying to get out of trouble by making it seem the other person did something worse.
:wenger:

Richard Cranium

Kenny's head blocks whatever Firmino says that sparks the reaction so lip reading what was said before that is irrelevant.

cletus7

Not much really. Emre deservedly got kicked around for calling Zokora the n word.

But Firmino just looks like he's more likely to be black. It just seems odd. Reminds me of that Dave Chappelle blind black white supremacist skit
What does this even mean? You are coming across as in need of some sort of course on the world outside the shires.

Silverman

It honestly doesn't look like Firmino says anything racial too Holgate. However, I also don't think Holgate is lying, id say he genuinely believes that he heard something like that. If Firmino has said it tho, a lengthy ban is deserved.

SER19

I have no idea if firmino said anything, I guess the ref and lots of players are right there.

But is there a particular reason the phrase firmino clearly says is being bandied about even though in the footage that shows it somebody walks right in front of view of him the moments before holgate responds? It's like getting footage from the first minute as "evidence". Unless there's footage I haven't seen yet.

SER19

Kenny's head blocks whatever Firmino says that sparks the reaction so lip reading what was said before that is irrelevant.
Thank Christ somebody has said this. Thousands of lip readers on twitter patting themselves on the back for reading something he clearly says.....before the alleged offence.

Posh Red

I have no idea if firmino said anything, I guess the ref and lots of players are right there.

But is there a particular reason the phrase firmino clearly says is being bandied about even though in the footage that shows it somebody walks right in front of view of him the moments before holgate responds? It's like getting footage from the first minute as "evidence". Unless there's footage I haven't seen yet.
Exactly. So many Liverpool fans are already on their high horse despite the fact there is no real evidence to prove it either way. Why take the risk of looking like a dick later?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
What does this even mean? You are coming across as in need of some sort of course on the world outside the shires.
I mean he doesn't seem like someone who'd rail on about his race being superior or something like that, enough to make him racially abuse someone.

I've never even seen or know what a shire is. :lol:

Richard Cranium

Thank Christ somebody has said this. Thousands of lip readers on twitter patting themselves on the back for reading something he clearly says.....before the alleged offence.
If anything it corroborates Holgate's allegation as it shows Firmino insulting him looking for a reaction...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Love him. What I also love about our crop of youngsters is that they’re all together and will fight for each other figuratively and literally.

macheda14

Spanish speakers said that Firmino said "Estas loco, hijo de puta," very clearly. Essentially 'Crazy Motherfecker'. And the referee was literally right between them and looking at Firmino. All bollocks, Holgate trying to get out of a card (most people thought he was saying he had been spat at .. which also wasn't possible unless Madeley got sprayed too) ! How in earth Holgate avoided a card though .........
I’m going to ask you one question that might throw a spanner in your theory then. What language do they speak in Brazil?

(I admit, people who speak said language have said he seems to have said the equivalent - but still, come on get the language correct or else it just invalidates everything you say)

VanGaalEra

Funny seeing Pool fans jump to the defence of Firmino so soon after the Rhian Brewster incident.

NinjaFletch

Funny seeing Pool fans jump to the defence of Firmino so soon after the Rhian Brewster incident.
I'd love to pretend that its just a Liverpool fan problem but it isn't. Look at our fans reactions to the Lukaku incident. Football fans ability to blindly defend their club from criticism extends to serious topics.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
I'd love to pretend that its just a Liverpool fan problem but it isn't. Look at our fans reactions to the Lukaku incident. Football fans ability to blindly defend their club from criticism extends to serious topics.
Which one?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I must be shit at lip-reading. What's he saying?
Got the "ee's effing called me" instantly.
But took a few more views to get the second bit... which is quite clearly (now), the N word, and the English version now that whole Spanish Suarez one.

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
Would the ref's mic not pick up anything that might have been said. He was close enough. Or does the ref turn the mic on and off when making coms?

Rafateria

Can't believe how defensive your getting before knowing all of the facts. Madness.
Please note that in at a late New Year's patty do totally pissed! However better to defuse this before it explodes when considering the background.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Got the "ee's effing called me" instantly.
But took a few more views to get the second bit... which is quite clearly (now), the N word, and the English version now that whole Spanish Suarez one.
Are you sure that's what he's saying? I'm not convinced.

ZAGREB RED

What Holgate did was a bit reckless and nasty, if Firmino called him a cnut or mothereffer I would say that was fair enough, no wonder he was a bit annoyed, to say the least. But if he also used the n-word or any racist terms, whether it was in English or Portuguese, then he deserves to be punished for that.
Holgate deserves some form of retrospective punishment also for what he did.

NinjaFletch

Please note that in at a late New Year's patty do totally pissed! However better to defuse this before it explodes when considering the background.
So far the only reason this has become an issue is because of Liverpool fans so good going.

Rafateria

I’m going to ask you one question that might throw a spanner in your theory then. What language do they speak in Brazil?

(I admit, people who speak said language have said he seems to have said the equivalent - but still, come on get the language correct or else it just invalidates everything you say)
My bad. Your pedantic response.

Rafateria

You can't genuinely be so serious (or tribal) to so instantly dismiss the case as just Holgate trying to get out of a card on the basis of some amateur hour lip reading where Firminio either shouted in Portugese (or Spanish for some reason according to some) without any proper information at all?
Did you watch her match?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Did you watch her match?
As a matter of fact, I did.

What on earth that has to do with Firmino suddenly deciding to speak Spanish or decide without any proper information that Holgate is making it up I'm not sure and its pretty despicable to suggest he would make up a racial slur to try to get out of a card.

Flip it around and say if Mane claimed he'd been racially abused or one of your friends or colleagues. Would your immediate and only reaction be that they'd made it up? If not, why does your tribalism come into play so strongly?

If someone accused Winks of shouting racial abuse at them, I would wait for more information to come out before commenting. I wouldn't make comments based on little more than hearsay and my own football preferences.

Charles Miller

Spanish speakers said that Firmino said "Estas loco, hijo de puta," very clearly. Essentially 'Crazy Motherfecker'. And the referee was literally right between them and looking at Firmino. All bollocks, Holgate trying to get out of a card (most people thought he was saying he had been spat at .. which also wasn't possible unless Madeley got sprayed too) ! How in earth Holgate avoided a card though .........
Exactly what he said in Portuguese: "está louco filho da puta" = are crazy son of a....

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Exactly. Liverpool fans are embarrassing themselves by having go at Holgate. At least it's lot more sensible here compared to other forums where they want punishment for Holgate and also ref.
I just don't get it. How can you be so bloody sure that he's in the wrong and Firmino did nothing? In what other walk of life would you make such rapid judgements without any evidence whatsoever?

arthurka

Maybe he thought Firminho said negrito when Firminho said son of a whore or whatever. People are too fast to judge without knowing what happened.
Dude he heard what was said to him hence the reactions... I truly hope this was nothing but judging it by Holgate's reactions there must be something there..