Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Nobody know whether he rejected anyone. However it's pretty evident that Liverpool got a top player probably even a better player for far less.
From David Ornstein.

“Liverpool were the early frontrunners but of course they’re not going to be in the Champions League next season,” the Athletic reporter was quoted as saying by Football Daily.

“Manchester United have always been there with strong interest. Arsenal too would like to bring him to their club but it’s Manchester United who have really stepped forward as far as I know.

“Nothing is done or finalised at this stage but I think that’s the direction of travel and those other clubs, including Liverpool and Arsenal, Thomas Tuchel on behalf of Bayern Munich who has a credible interest as well, have been made aware that Manchester United is Mount’s preference.

We need an rvn

Mount is the better player than Kovacic and City wanted to get rid of Sterling. Chelsea do not want to sell Mount, it's the player pushing for the move.
Perhaps, but then I also would have thought Mount's fiar transfer value was about £50m or so if he had 3 years left on a contract - with one year left I'm stumped at the fee.

But then I guess players are going for silly money now (Antony, Grealish, Rice possibly)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I’ve got nothing against this signing, but I am really confused about

1- the fee when he’s only got one year left on his contract and they just sold kova to city for what, £30m who also has one year left. Chelsea signed sterling, also one year, for 47.
2- his position is far from where we should strengthen first (keeper / striker / Casemiro understudy eg caicedo) and if ffp is to be believed we don’t have much more than £100m to work with right now
Before sales. And we will be making sales, which (depending on the players sold) free us to spend beyond just the money we receive for those players. E.G. a 30m sale could allow you to buy a 80m+ player depending on the specifics of both deals.

People are way overthinking the FFP limits. They might mean we wait to sell before we buy in some positions, and they definitely mean a new owner wouldn't have been able to go on a massive spending spree, but we'll still likely finish the summer having spent close enough to our normal average summer spend that we wouldn't notice the difference had we not been alerted to it in advance.

zaafi

Absolutely opposite players. Mata in his prime was a flair player with sensuous touches but very little running; Mount in his prime was hardworking, with brilliant runs but very little flair.

It may be a little harsh to use the past tense with Mount's prime, but judging by last season's exploits, that may very well be the case.
I guess Rashford has already been in his prime too then, because last season was absolute trash. Somehow he got better under Ten Hag?! Crazy stuff.

Oldyella

Smack's of another Mata type signing to me, a tidy and neat player but not one who brings the "X" factor.
Mata felt like last throw of the dice for a struggling manager. ETH has wanted Mount for a while, including at previous clubs, he obviously has a plan for him.

Ekeke

I wouldnt want us paying more than £55 million if he was on a long contract. So doing it with a year left... Reminds me of when we signed Ashley Young

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
That's an assumption.
Is it?

I mean if you read up on the very first post on this page. Thanks to @roonster09 here’s some info from Ornstein:

“Liverpool were the early frontrunners but of course they’re not going to be in the Champions League next season,” the Athletic reporter was quoted as saying by Football Daily.

“Manchester United have always been there with strong interest. Arsenal too would like to bring him to their club but it’s Manchester United who have really stepped forward as far as I know.

“Nothing is done or finalised at this stage but I think that’s the direction of travel and those other clubs, including Liverpool and Arsenal, Thomas Tuchel on behalf of Bayern Munich who has a credible interest as well, have been made aware that Manchester United is Mount’s preference.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Is anyone slightly concerned at the pace at which we are submitting those bids? Part of me suspects they may not be well prepared, we usually take 3-4 weeks to prepare a bid and now we submitted 3 of them in the space of 2 weeks. I don't want us to become just one of these clubs that submit average bids, those diligent, awesome bids used to separate us from mediocre crowd.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Is anyone slightly concerned at the pace at which we are submitting those bids? Part of me suspects they may not be well prepared, we usually take 3-4 weeks to prepare a bid and now we submitted 3 of them in the space of 2 weeks. I don't want us to become just one of these clubs that submit average bids, those diligent, awesome bids used to separate us from mediocre crowd.
distinct lack of the 3 stooges too, amateur hour.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No white text?

Halftrack

So what? What does a fan vote have to do with anything? The more important is the player fit and what he brings. For £55m what are we getting? A guy that runs a lot but rarely creates anything?
Why even bother offering opinions on a potential signing if you don't know anything about the player potentially being signed?
Nobody know whether he rejected anyone. However it's pretty evident that Liverpool got a top player probably even a better player for far less.
May well be that Mac Allister is looked back on as better when all is said and done. Right now, though? There's literally nothing suggesting he's a better player.

redshaw

He was doing well except for last season, effective in the last third of the pitch and has a good shot on him. We need more players like that to bring up the goal tally. Tactically he's a good option for managers and I think ETH has sold Mount on a role at the club. Our squad quality depth is severely limited and told in the end, Mount is a good all rounder.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I wouldnt want us paying more than £55 million if he was on a long contract. So doing it with a year left... Reminds me of when we signed Ashley Young
When you look at it, it’s actually bad that we’re willing to pay 55m for a player who’s free next year. That 55m can get us Onana and we sign Rabiot on a free this season or get someone a lot cheaper. Chelsea always manage to get money from sales though something we struggle with.

cyberman

When you look at it, it’s actually bad that we’re willing to pay 55m for a player who’s free next year. That 55m can get us Onana and we sign Rabiot on a free this season or get someone a lot cheaper. Chelsea always manage to get money from sales though something we struggle with.
We can already get Onana and Rabiot in a free

RuudTom83

Having 1 Year left on your contract isn't really as big of a factor as we would all like it to be...1 Year doesn't automatically equal a cheap deal.

Didn't Hazard have 1 Year left on his contract when Real spunked 100 million on him? or is that total BS that I've just made up.

Brightonian

Being in the 'not keen on this transfer' camp, I will say that one clear positive is that it suggests whatever is going on with the ownership, the club are backing ETH within the constraints of the budget. This is a Ten Hag target, not a 'by committee' target.

Always a good thing if the club are backing the manager. Any time they're not, he shouldn't be the manager any more.

Morpheus 7

I really don't see how Mount improves our midfield, think Caicedo would give us so much more energy and bite. Mount is good on the ball but clearly a replacement for Eriksen. Really underwhelming but if it's ETH first choice, he deserves to be trusted. I just think we still look light in midfield.

redshaw

Having 1 Year left on your contract isn't really as big of a factor as we would all like it to be...1 Year doesn't automatically equal a cheap deal.

Didn't Hazard have 1 Year left on his contract when Real spunked 100 million on him? or is that total BS that I've just made up.
It's true. Hazard did say he could renew with Chelsea if the sale doesn't happen so Madrid had to pay regardless. If United and ETH want Mount we run the risk of him impressing Poch and re-signing in his final year. Chelsea are in a position to play a bit harder here with a good long time Chelsea lad, he seems sold on the move to United while a bit of chaos is happening at Chelsea.

cyberman

But we won’t because we’re going for Mount. We might get Onana eventually. But 55m can be put towards a world class ST.
Who says we can’t afford a world class ST? By all accounts we’re trying to persuade Kane to force a move. We aren’t doing that then say oh, we can’t afford you anyway
I think we need to ignore this 100m budget nonsense since it’s clearly not playing out that way.
Edit even if we walked away we need a midfielder so we aren’t even saving 55m by looking elsewhere

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
here’s some info from Ornstein:

“Liverpool were the early frontrunners but of course they chose to sign Mac Allister, a better player in better form for a fraction of the cost, despite the fact they’re not going to be in the Champions League next season,” the Athletic reporter was quoted as saying by Football Daily.
Fixed that for Ornstein.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Being in the 'not keen on this transfer' camp, I will say that one clear positive is that it suggests whatever is going on with the ownership, the club are backing ETH within the constraints of the budget. This is a Ten Hag target, not a 'by committee' target.

Always a good thing if the club are backing the manager. Any time they're not, he shouldn't be the manager any more.
Before anyone complains about us relying on ETH for all our transfers, I'd just point that I'm pretty sure Mount would be approved as a target by most of the top PL side's recruitment teams if available. Thus being at Chelsea already and being linked to all of United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Bayern. Much though some fans seem not to rate him, he ticks a lot of boxes in terms of what teams/managers actually want.

Where the ETH trust comes in is the planned shape of the midfield, with those two very attacking players ahead of a DM. Though even there the fact that Arsenal seem to be planning a similar set-up with Havertz/Odegaard/Rice is somewhat reassuring to me.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Who says we can’t afford a world class ST? By all accounts we’re trying to persuade Kane to force a move. We aren’t doing that then say oh, we can’t afford you anyway
I think we need to ignore this 100m budget nonsense since it’s clearly not playing out that way.
Edit even if we walked away we need a midfielder so we aren’t even saving 55m by looking elsewhere
Surely getting Rabiot saves 55m. Then get Onana, then go all out for Kane/hojlund and maybe another CB. We was all over Kim at the start of the window so we must want a CB aswell.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
@UnitedSofa

Mac Allister is more versatile imo and is undoubtedly in better form.

I prefer him as a player. He seemed to me more logical a player for Utd to go after, and was potentially 20m cheaper…

Let’s wait and see how they each do next season now that both will very likely be at big clubs.

We need an rvn

Before sales. And we will be making sales, which (depending on the players sold) free us to spend beyond just the money we receive for those players. E.G. a 30m sale could allow you to buy a 80m+ player depending on the specifics of both deals.

People are way overthinking the FFP limits. They might mean we wait to sell before we buy in some positions, and they definitely mean a new owner wouldn't have been able to go on a massive spending spree, but we'll still likely finish the summer having spent close enough to our normal average summer spend that we wouldn't notice the difference had we not been alerted to it in advance.
Oh I get what you're saying and it's a no brainer if we sell Sancho to Villa for £60m then that's an extra £60m to our kitty. But, I also think you're way over-estimating our ability to sell a player at a fair / overvalued amount - this is just based on past transfer dealings. Zidane to Utrecht for €1m says it all. Fred is in the exact same position as Kovacic, 29 midfielder with 1 year left on his contract. I'd be shocked if we got anywhere close to the £30m City just paid Chelsea.

STYLOISRED

Better player because he’s not English.

But hey, don’t let stats get in the way of a good narrative eh?

In a year when most would agree has been Mount's worst in a while, he somehow is not that far off Mac-allister who everyone claims is a better player

Chairman Steve

Considering all the factors involved, ranging from youngish age, homegrown status, league position rival and one year left on contract, I’d say that’s a fair price for both parties.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Before anyone complains about us relying on ETH for all our transfers, I'd just point that I'm pretty sure Mount would be approved as a target by most of the top PL side's recruitment teams if available. Thus being at Chelsea already and being linked to all of United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Bayern. Much though some fans seem not to rate him, he ticks a lot of boxes in terms of what teams/managers actually want.

Where the ETH trust comes in is the planned shape of the midfield, with those two very attacking players ahead of a DM. Though even there the fact that Arsenal seem to be planning a similar set-up with Havertz/Odegaard/Rice is somewhat reassuring to me.
Yeah, that's a good point. I was also in "I'm not really convinced by Mount" category when we were linked, also I was convinced that I'm missing something as the way I rate is completely different from how people who watch him regularly and few managers rate. Klopp, Tuchel, Arteta, EtH wanted him, Poch wants him to stay and he played under every manager as a first team player. So maybe he gives the tactical flexibility that these managers love.

Looks like attacking mids with one DM, with FBs supporting defensive mid would be common tactic that we will see next season.

mancsarered

Let's hope this bid gets it done and we can move on. Big upgrade to our midfield, now we need to get on with the two bigger elephants in the room.

laughtersassassin

Hopefully this is as good as done.

Not the biggest fan of the signing but think he'll be a good addition.

Only way I'm against the signing is if we end up not sorting our goalkeeper and striker positions

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I really hope we stick to our guns and this is a final take it or leave it offer. We’ll look like mugs if we go back again after saying this is our last bid.
I have a feeling Chelsea will just reject it given the progress of their squad clear out. They have done great on that front. May be in the end 60m can seal the deal. Let's wait and see. There is still lots of time left in the transfer window.

Status
Not open for further replies.