g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

L1nk

They'll meet up in person and hash it out in the next few days is my guess with Mount himself playing a pivotal role in that, I don't think we'll pay exactly what Chelsea countered with either, we might go up a few more million or restructure it better but won't hit 65

Majiek7777

The club need to stop letting ETH dictate just to get his 1st choice signings. He just wants to overpay and never walk away and get 2nd option.

a DoF would need to wind Ten Hag's neck in. Explain budget and FFP. And having priorities. Like a striker and goalkeeper.

the club are bending over backwards to please Ten Hag and not to upset him.

caid

I'd put this on the backburner at this point. If were going to overpay for him we should wait till our other business is done. I think is 40m is a fair and reasonable price for him so 55m is already a crazy offer. Theres too many good options in too many positions that would improve us to waste 60m paying a 50% tax to get him at this point in the transfer window. It'd be borderline sabotage to agree that deal before addressing striker, keeper and another midfielder.

croadyman

People should also note that what we do or do not do here sets a precedent for us for the remainder of the summer - get bent over for Mount and the price of every other player we go in for goes up heftily, too.

Have to truly hope we are not this incompetent and lacking in foresight.
That's my biggest concern as well

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
We're so bad at this. Even Todd I discovered football 5 minutes ago knows it.

We'll pay whatever the f*ck they ask for, because we're United, and the thing we're best at these days is overpaying on transfers.

It sucks for Mount (and possibly EtH) but I'd serioulsy show up to the 'face to face' meeting with the original bid, and tell them 5 days til the FFP deadline, kisses, bye.

croadyman

Have to admire Mount, he wants to move here badly and I'm all for it.

Restructure the deal so it remains the same effective cost but easier for Chelsea to get the final £5m and call it a day.
Yeah I will give it to him for showing how much he wants to move to us,think if he could he would have asked them to accept one of these offers

cyberman

We have? Do you believe that? Pretty similar to the 'final round of negotiations' before the Glazers loop again.

We'll pay Caciedo money at this rate, for Mount... in the final year of his contract. Painful.
I don’t see why we don’t believe the reports.

Dazzmondo

People should also note that what we do or do not do here sets a precedent for us for the remainder of the summer - get bent over for Mount and the price of every other player we go in for goes up heftily, too.

Have to truly hope we are not this incompetent and lacking in foresight.
Seems pretty clear that we are since reports are already suggesting we'll continue negotiating and have said we won't walk away

Faetheshire86

You are assuming we we valued him at £55m. This was our third offer, a rare occasion where I think we have been quick and generous with out bids. Chelsea signed Sterling last summer with a year left on his contract for much less than they are asking for Mount. An Sterling wasnt coming off a shocking season. He is worth no more than £50m, above £60m is madness. Especially when he isn't a crucial position for us this summer.
On paper, I could justify £60m for Mount. He has a pretty impressive resume. The problem is he doesn't really pass the eye test. Or more accurately the "highlights test". The more people watch him, the higher their opinion seems to be, so that bodes well.

I also think the manner in which we are pursuing Mount, makes me believe that he is a bigger priority than some believe he is. We are desperate for a striker and goalkeeper. Surely the play would be to let the Mount situation stew, while we focused on those positions and go back in for him later in the window? Or maybe that's the approach we are taking with our centre forward target.

caid

On paper, I could justify £60m for Mount. He has a pretty impressive resume. The problem is he doesn't really pass the eye test. Or more accurately the "highlights test". The more people watch him, the higher their opinion seems to be, so that bodes well.

I also think the manner in which we are pursuing Mount, makes me believe that he is a bigger priority than some believe he is. We are desperate for a striker and goalkeeper. Surely the play would be to let the Mount situation stew, while we focused on those positions and go back in for him later in the window? Or maybe that's the approach we are taking with our centre forward target.
Then address goalkeeper. Its either pretty reasonable prices or release clauses with most of the targets there.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We're so bad at this. Even Todd I discovered football 5 minutes ago knows it.

We'll pay whatever the f*ck they ask for, because we're United, and the thing we're best at these days is overpaying on transfers.

It sucks for Mount (and possibly EtH) but I'd serioulsy show up to the 'face to face' meeting with the original bid, and tell them 5 days til the FFP deadline, kisses, bye.
They want 70m and won’t get it. So no we won’t pay whatever the feck they ask for.

Ekeke

More chance it turns into a saga and we have to wait until September to get him in! The United way! :wenger:
Dont think this is the end of the world. Look at the other players we spent years chasing... Hargreaves, Sancho... usually not worth the chase and he wouldnt be either. But very unlikely to be worth a lot more than £55 million - which is the case if we're paying it with 1 year left. That suggests hes an 80 million plus player if he has 2 or 3 years on his contract. No chance imo

Rather go for Jacob Ramsey who is similar

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So will it be Boehly who meets Murtough and Arnold? If so, it will be difficult to predict who will talk the most crap during that meeting?
On our side it will be Eghbali.

Boehly has been at best a glorified second in command since last winter.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Dont think this is the end of the world. Look at the other players we spent years chasing... Hargreaves, Sancho... usually not worth the chase and he wouldnt be either. But very unlikely to be worth a lot more than £55 million - which is the case if we're paying it with 1 year left. That suggests hes an 80 million plus player if he has 2 or 3 years on his contract. No chance imo

Isn't Hargreaves worth it for his first season alone?

caid

That would be sensible to be honest. It'd make negotiations drastically easier in future too, Chelsea wont get another offer of 55m.

cyberman

Seems to really want to join us which is a big plus in my book. Also means we could wait the year with little risk

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He had to play fullback because he fell out of the pecking order at CM so no
Fair enough, I for whatever reason remembered him as being a big(ish) player in season one but then all the injuries started.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I really don't care how desperate ETH is. I'm sick of us not taking a stance for once . Walk away. If this was a player like De Jong, Bellingham then I could stomach it but I don't want to believe we can't find alternatives to Mason Mount

croadyman

Seems to really want to join us which is a big plus in my book. Also means we could wait the year with little risk
Yeah I always think players with that kind of mindset getting a longer leash with fanbase

caid

The right move forward feels really, really obvious. Spend the limited money on a striker, goalkeeper and a different profile of midfielder. Sign a pre contract agreement in january.
fecking chelsea up is a nice bonus.

Ekeke

Fair enough, I for whatever reason remembered him as being a big(ish) player in season one but then all the injuries started.
I mean he came in and while the talk before was that he was an upgrade on Carrick (which I disagreed with, and also was proven untrue) we ended up starting the season playing 3 in midfield to play both of them as starters. But as the season went on he lost his starting place. IIRC Fletcher got in there at the back end of the season as well. He got more games because he was able to use his running at fullback. But he was our big target for several windows so thats not much of a return on all that.

croadyman

The right move forward feels really, really obvious. Spend the limited money on a striker, goalkeeper and a different profile of midfielder. Sign a pre contract agreement in january.
fecking chelsea up is a nice bonus.
Are you talking about the physical mobile 8 profile or were you thinking more of a deep playmaker 8 type of midfielder

caid

Are you talking about the physical mobile 8 profile or were you thinking more of a deep playmaker 8 type of midfielder
Not sure what profile were looking for at this point but were looking for 2 by most reports. The other midfielder basically.

L1nk

I think everyone is running away slightly wiht the whole Chelsea winning thing here as well, their original estimation is 70-80 and they've had to climb down a bit too mind, it's not just us having to bump up, we'll most likely meet at 60 and call it a day, which is a bit more than our original offer but it's also less than Chelsea originally wanted. So it's not like Chelsea have stuck to their price and then we've waited all summer and caved and paid that price. This isn't like an Antony.

Leethal

Walk. Get him for free next year. Address other key areas this season and get him for free the next.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

If that’s true we should put our final offer again days before FFP deadline, for 40m without add-ons. Should Chelsea refused we could just wait 1 year to sign him up for free.

croadyman

Not sure what profile were looking for at this point but were looking for 2 by most reports. The other midfielder basically.
Yeah we definitely need both profiles,however will have to put one of them off while we are under a tighter budget than last summer

Dempsey19

He can fight all he's wants , Chelsea are desperate for money and they are still taking us to the cleaners.

I would genuinely just move on. Surely we can find some one else to do the same job for that fee. What's that Kocku guy up to that we were linked to ages ago?

caid

Yeah we definitely need both profiles,however will have to put one of them off while we are under a tighter budget than last summer
We could potentially get the 4 players we need but that would involve getting value for money or a couple of bargains and selling players at reasonable fees. 55m for Mount isn't a good start in that regard. Start looking at Caicedo and Rice, if nothing else it keeps Chelsea out of the equation while we negotiate for them and a striker.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
You really should walk because Mount or no Mount ETH will need another window to make his team the way he wants it. That money should be used at both ends for a GK and a striker.
Not having a troll between the sticks gifting goals and someone that can score alongside Rashford should be enough to cement third/fourth if we go by this season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Have him submit a transfer request or switch and make an offer for Barella. Get Onana done, and just delay on Mount until they come back on the earlier offers, because they inevitably will. Dumb as feck from their part to reject. We should absolutely still get mount on a free next year if it doesn't go through, but absolutely shouldn't cave.

Dempsey19

Have him submit a transfer request or switch and make an offer for Barella. Get Onana done, and just delay on Mount until they come back on the earlier offers, because they inevitably will. Dumb as feck from their part to reject. We should absolutely still get mount on a free next year if it doesn't go through, but absolutely shouldn't cave.
Even more dumber that we offered so much.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Even more dumber that we offered so much.
Nah Mount is a quality player and while it is overpriced for a last year contract, it's fine up to a point to get your guy. But we need to be firm in the final price. We should be briefing asap tomorrow that we are making an offer for Barella, or having Mount force the transfer through. Not a single pound more.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Boehly does not work transfer deals since he appointed a team to do it. He does meet with other owners, but he will not be the negotiator….. thankfully.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
He had to play fullback because he fell out of the pecking order at CM so no
He used to also play RB and RW at Bayern too for tactical reasons. I think you’re over simplifying this one.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I mean he came in and while the talk before was that he was an upgrade on Carrick (which I disagreed with, and also was proven untrue) we ended up starting the season playing 3 in midfield to play both of them as starters. But as the season went on he lost his starting place. IIRC Fletcher got in there at the back end of the season as well. He got more games because he was able to use his running at fullback. But he was our big target for several windows so thats not much of a return on all that.
Hargreaves was pretty good as RM also (that CL Final). I think it's just injuries that feck him up. Otherwise he and Carrick would be the CM pair, and pretty similar to Fletcher - Carrick.

Jericholyte2

I tell you what, feck the so-called gentlemen’s agreement that clubs have, get Mount to invoke the Webster ruling, buy-out the last year of his contract and give his a compensatory signing bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.