Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Previously winning the Champions League isn't a metric on how good a player is. Neither is being a clubs player of the season. If I remember correctly players such as Antonio Valencia and Ander Herrera have won our player of the season award in the past.

Mason Mount is an average player. Maybe he is a very slight upgrade on Scott and Fred but at that price we should stay well clear. Not to mention we'd be directly funding Chelsea's improvement too.

Buying Mason Mount for anything over £30m just isn't what well run clubs do.
That's your opinion. That doesn't mean it's a fact.

There are probably better options out there if we had a great scouting network. Thing is we don't do we? That's why our manager raided Dutch league. He didn't trust this current recruitment team and rightly so.

Also Mount is a lot better than you described. He's not world class but when he's been on form for Chelsea before this season he's been one of their best players along with Reece James.

Price wise I tend to agree. I think £40m is about as high as I'd like to go. Maybe £45m at a push.

MrBrightside1989

Mount, for a reasonable fee, is a good signing and would be a decent rotation option for fernandes if we go on to play another shed load of games next season. We have been lucky that Bruno, this season, has stayed fit for so long.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
We expect your offer of £60m during the match today. Bring a kit and announce him to the crowd at halftime.

redIndianDevil

Friend of a mine who's a football analyst for various clubs and a journalist told me a year ago Mount is as close as England has to Modrić in the sense of the way he plays. We were talking about how England doesn't produce those kind of players, technically sound players with a good passing and defensive skill too, but is more about pace and wingers, for various reasons, and mentioned Mount.
FFS. He is as good as Modric now?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We expect your offer of £60m during the match today. Bring a kit and announce him to the crowd at halftime.
Genuinely whats the minimum you would expect for him? I know that while many other people don't see it in him, Chelsea fans are generally quite high on him... or were at least until this season where you've probably soured on everyone in a Chelsea shirt.

redIndianDevil

The thing is, the transfer fee quoted is already way too much. His wages are going to be exorbitant too. His wages are the reason Chelsea are not agreeing an extension with him. It's not like Mount is leaving because of playing time or football, he is seemed as surplus to requirements for the wage he demands.

What exactly is he good at? What is his position? Is he better than Connor Gallagher?

iHicksy

I was against this signing as i've never seen him as anything other than a water carrier when he played for england with limited attacking skill but after watching a video explaining why so many managers love him i began to come round and understand why ETH wants him for our system. Plus, i tend to accept that ETH knows much more about football than I do.

TsuWave

Seeing people turn their nose at Neymar but wanting Mount, sure is something.

Swedish_Plumber

I’d take him for free or no more than 25 mil as he’d provide could cover and add to the squad depth. But I don’t really know what he actually brings to the side and that’s a turn off.

southlegend

FFS. He is as good as Modric now?
"The closest thing England has to Modric" =/= "He's as good as Modric" :lol:

I was against this signing as i've never seen him as anything other than a water carrier when he played for england with limited attacking skill but after watching a video explaining why so many managers love him i began to come round and understand why ETH wants him for our system. Plus, i tend to accept that ETH knows much more about football than I do.
Got a link? I'm currently where you were. I just don't see it :confused:

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Again, this makes me doubt the link more. Our priority is clearly a striker, but we're going to drop £150m on these two?
We’ve been after Kane all season, maybe we’ve already secured him on the sly?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The thing is, the transfer fee quoted is already way too much. His wages are going to be exorbitant too. His wages are the reason Chelsea are not agreeing an extension with him. It's not like Mount is leaving because of playing time or football, he is seemed as surplus to requirements for the wage he demands.

What exactly is he good at? What is his position? Is he better than Connor Gallagher?
In order:

1) He's good technically, good at set-pieces, excellent at pressing,

2) He can play as a #10 or #8 depending on the system.

3) Obviously yes.

evil_geko

Seeing people turn their nose at Neymar but wanting Mount, sure is something.
One is ageing moaning diving prima donna, other is hardworking young player that can slot in many positions. I don't see the problem here, not everything is purely about individual player skills.

Price is steep indeed, but money aside, I would love having Mount here, ticks all the boxes for Ten Hag.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Again, this makes me doubt the link more. Our priority is clearly a striker, but we're going to drop £150m on these two?
This reporter was the first to break the Mount interest and was later verified by Ornstein. So my bet is he knows his stuff.

cyberman

If Rice is true as well it looks as if we are going for pure energy though midfield.
I’m still not sold on the two of them but I wouldn’t blame Ten Hag if he was solely looking at remedying our top 8 away from because we have a sensational record outside of that.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Or, its an opportunity that's popped up that the recruitment team don't want to miss out on. It's not often that you get a 24 year old multi-cap England international in the last year of his contract and wanting to leave his current club in a position where we could do with additional strength in depth
Yeah but my point is, is this a priority? I doubt he’d start for us with everyone fit, and if you’ve got no money to spend, you’d throw what you do have at Daniel levy for his multi-cap England captain who’s prepared to leave his current club, seeing as it’s in a position we’re desperate for.

TsuWave

One is ageing moaning diving prima donna, other is hardworking young player that can slot in many positions. I don't see the problem here, not everything is purely about individual player skills.

Price is steep indeed, but money aside, I would love having Mount here, ticks all the boxes for Ten Hag.
Please provide examples of Neymar being a moaning prima donna.

Having an average player that can slot in many positions is exactly going to do what for Manchester United? What does Mason Mount, in your opinion, bring to the table and what is he better at than the current options available?

Swedish_Plumber

If Rice is true as well it looks as if we are going for pure energy though midfield.
I’m still not sold on the two of them but I wouldn’t blame Ten Hag if he was solely looking at remedying our top 8 away from because we have a sensational record outside of that.
Gonna run off pure vibes and zero control! Need that pivot too.

evil_geko

Yeah but my point is, is this a priority? I doubt he’d start for us with everyone fit, and if you’ve got no money to spend, you’d throw what you do have at Daniel levy for his multi-cap England captain who’s prepared to leave his current club, seeing as it’s in a position we’re desperate for.
Who says this is a priority? We can work on several transfers at the same time, I have no doubt we are working on priority signings, striker etc(most probably Kane) at the same time.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Genuinely whats the minimum you would expect for him? I know that while many other people don't see it in him, Chelsea fans are generally quite high on him... or were at least until this season where you've probably soured on everyone in a Chelsea shirt.
I really like Mase. I just don’t think his wage demands match his level. He has a great motor. We have played him everywhere on the pitch and his best has been at winger, but he really doesn’t do what is necessary in the final third there. He is good, but not £250k to £300k a week good. He does not make great connections in midfield nor does he have long pass touch. He is not an exceptional dribbler in tight spaces. He is a pressing machine.

Would love to keep him for his attitude and pressing, but not at his wage demands

edit to add. Anything £50m or above would be great business.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
So that brings us back to the conversation about whether we have money available. Obviously we have to get a striker and yes I'm sure we would love to get Kane all things being equal. But there is no guarantee that Levy will firstly even let Kane go, let alone do it before the last day of the transfer window in order to drive the price up to the absolute maximum. We could chuck everything we have at Levy, and he'd still say no until the last day just in case we're desperate enough to find some more.
Instead we've been presented with an opportunity to buy from a club that really needs to sell in order to make FFP for a start, and then to finance some of their own purchases which also include a striker. Plus other clubs are sniffing around Mount and are in a position to bid early and secure a deal. Perhaps we have to do the deal that is available to us now, and then work out a deal later in the summer for a striker.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I trust in ETH but signing these two would seem like a throwback to the Solskjaer days.
Ten Hag said in an interview last year that he really rates English players but they are too expensive.

Giggsy13

He had 11 goals and 10 assists last season in the league. He’s having a down season but who isn’t at Chelsea. This is a good move, we need a younger midfielder who’s just about to hit his prime. Casemiro and Eriksen are 31 and Bruno is 29 this summer. Getting Mount gives us flexibility, as he will play as a no. 10, which could push back Bruno into a deeper role where he has done well. Eriksen can’t play the minutes we’re demanding of him currently, so it’s a smart move if it happens.

cyberman

Gonna run off pure vibes and zero control! Need that pivot too.
An energetic midfield protects the defence and allows us to push forward and win the ball higher up though.
Liverpool tried such a midfield for many years now and pushed City to their limits.
I wouldn’t even say this would be our starting midfield every week, our starting 3 barely played half the games as we stand today.
As a fanbase we seem to freeze at squad options and see an 11 every week when that rarely happens.

redIndianDevil

Did I say that? Read again.
Okay my mistake. But still his gameplay is nowhere closer to Modric. The only thing that's being close to Modric is his hardworking. Chelsea fan above says he is not a good drbbler or a passer or has any vision. So what makes him like Modric?

TsuWave

Ok, this post only deserves: :lol:

It is like asking: show me examples where water is wet.
Water isn’t actually wet, by the way. Which goes to my point - people just get online and say things matter of factly without being able to substantiate them.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
For less than 50m I wouldn’t be against it IF they have looked at other options and don’t see anything else that they’d take a chance on

ETH will turn him into the English FDJ

redIndianDevil

An energetic midfield protects the defence and allows us to push forward and win the ball higher up though.
Liverpool tried such a midfield for many years now and pushed City to their limits.
I wouldn’t even say this would be our starting midfield every week, our starting 3 barely played half the games as we stand today.
As a fanbase we seem to freeze at squad options and see an 11 every week when that rarely happens.
Fred and McTominay have plenty of energy. Sabitzer too. All of that did nothing for us this season.

We are not Liverpool, we play nothing like Liverpool. Just because something works for them doesn't mean it will work for us too.

There is nothing wrong with squad options but our budget is limited going by all sources and we have holes in the playing 11. We cannot afford to waste resources on squad options.

caid

Would help with the homegrown quota. Which i always forget about.
Not that many england internationals you'd be desperate to bring in.

cyberman

Fred and McTominay have plenty of energy. Sabitzer too. All of that did nothing for us this season.

We are not Liverpool, we play nothing like Liverpool. Just because something works for them doesn't mean it will work for us too.

There is nothing wrong with squad options but our budget is limited going by all sources and we have holes in the playing 11. We cannot afford to waste resources on squad options.
We play more like Liverpool than you think and, to be fair, we have no idea how Ten Hag really wants us to play.
I’d also argue against Scott and Fred’s energy. Scott carried the ball well but that’s it. There’s a reason why McFred were deployed to sit back and protect the back 4 in their prime and it’s not because they dominated midfields with their pressing and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.