Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

redIndianDevil

Guess he has to quit football then because there is not a single club in the world that is going to pay him that. He knows it himself, so this is obviously bullshit.
How much do you think we are offering him? If we are signing him we are definitely paying around the 200k mark. Mount is not moving because of football reasons, its obviously for better pay.

Dazzmondo

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/finding-mason-mounts-best-position/

Came across this old article about Mason Mount. Seems like the role we're purchasing him would be the one which gets the most out of him.
I don't think we can be sure of the role we're signing Mount for honestly. He could be cm instead of Eriksen but I could also see him coming in to replace Antony either by moving to the number 10 position with Bruno moving to the rw or vice versa. The talks about us still trying to sign Rice makes me think that we're looking to sign another midfielder alongside Mount, whether that's Rice or someone else.

EDIT: Actually reading that and seeing that he played as a cam at Vitesse, that probably tells me that's where ETH sees him playing in our team, since I'm sure that's where he first would have originally taken note of Mount.

Last edited:

redIndianDevil

I don't think we can be sure of the role we're signing Mount for honestly. He could be cm instead of Eriksen but I could also see him coming in to replace Antony either by moving to the number 10 position with Bruno moving to the rw or vice versa. The talks about us still trying to sign Rice makes me think that we're looking to sign another midfielder alongside Mount, whether that's Rice or someone else.
If we are definitely after another central midfielder this thread wouldn't have so much discussion about signing Mount. The fear is wasting transfer money on Mount and not signing players for other positions that are in dire need of signings.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There are plenty of rumours that he wants parity with players like James and Chilwell who are earning around the 200k mark.
If it was just about 200K and nothing else, he would have signed a new deal a long time ago because Chelsea’s initial offer was said to be around 180K. A difference of 20K would not lead to such a long contractual standoff:

zaafi

How much do you think we are offering him? If we are signing him we are definitely paying around the 200k mark. Mount is not moving because of football reasons, its obviously for better pay.
I think it would be a bit of both. Chelsea have such a massive squad and it's getting increasingly more difficult to get a spot in the starting eleven. He'd get right into ours.

He's on £80.000 now, so doubling that would be fair. If he demands a lot more than that, I wouldn't sign him. First, he should prove for us that he deserves it. Don't want another Sancho on our hands, even though Mount already is PL proven, he hasn't shown it this season.

Dazzmondo

If we are definitely after another central midfielder this thread wouldn't have so much discussion about signing Mount. The fear is wasting transfer money on Mount and not signing players for other positions that are in dire need of signings.
Absolutely, that would certainly be my fear. If we were to get Kane and Rice or Caicedo I'd be very happy with Mount, because if nothing else he'd be an excellent player for rotation due to his versatility and I'd feel like at least the 2 most important positions have been addressed.

Bondi77

Antony is on that amount and Sancho is on more so Mount will be getting around that figure...no doubt about it.

zaafi

If it was just about 200K and nothing else, he would have signed a new deal a long time ago because Chelsea’s initial offer was said to be around 180K. A difference of 20K would not lead to such a long contractual standoff:
Really? That's weird, considering how big of an increase that is from his current salary.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I think ETH wants to go to a 4-3-3 next season and having mount will help us play this system. Him and Bruno in the number 8 role with Casemiro will probably work. Mounts already said that his best position is number 8. He’s got good work ethic to play in that role aswell just like Bruno.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Really? That's weird, considering how big of an increase that is from his current salary.
He was on a rookie contract for years and he has been outperforming that contract since about 2020 while poorer players with far less impact than Mount have been earning double sometimes triple his salary. I don’t blame him for wanting to be compensated for being one of the lowest paid players whilst also being one of the best and most important players on the team.

If 200K is all he wanted and nothing else I’d give it to him without hesitation and I’m sure Chelsea would too. I don’t actually know what his actual demand are. I find it weird too that Chelsea and Mount have failed to come an agreement.

Last edited:

SirScholes

No need to start being personal / bitchy. It only shows off your own limitations.

I’ve acknowledged, repeatedly, the great job ETH has done. If you think that means it somehow negates any criticism of his mistakes, or any concerns about his decisions then that’s great - but don’t hold others to the same limitations you have.

Hopefully Mount is a great signing if he comes to Utd, but it’s an eyebrow raiser based on Utd’s purported budget, and what the squad blatantly needs.
Haha that makes zero sense

it doesn’t negate him but it also should buy a little faith rather than idiotic posts suggesting he shouldn’t be trusted with the transfer kitty

zaafi

He was on a rookie contract for years and he has been outperforming that contract since about 2020 while poorer players with far less impact than Mount have been earning double sometimes triple his salary. I don’t blame him for wanting to be compensated for being one of the lowest paid players whilst also being one the best and most important players on the team.

If 200K is all he wanted and nothing else I’d give to him without hesitation and I’m sure Chelsea would too. I don’t know actually what his actual demand are. I find it weird too that Chelsea and Mount have failed to come an agreement.
Definitely deserves more than £80.000, indeed. Sickening to think that Sancho earns more than 4 times as much :nervous:

the chameleon

I actually don't mind him. You need a few players like Henderson, Milner, Barry. Those types who are fairly grounded (not Lingard). Maybe not the most exciting player, but will be a solid squad player.

He's a grafter and can see him being a good silent leader in the long run. Also, he won't overestimate himself like Lingard or Maguire.

I'd say bring him on board, but make sure he doesn't define our transfer window.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
There are plenty of rumours that he wants parity with players like James and Chilwell who are earning around the 200k mark.
Quick google and it seems Chilwell earns 190K and James 250K. The latter wanted by Real Madrid, despite his injury record.

It is well known that no player comes here without getting a bumper pay rise.
I think that applies to most clubs, most of the time. It probably didn't as much as it does, but still. Weren't Liverpool chasing Mount? Didn't they just break their wage structure to accommodate Salah? And Arsenal, how much are they paying Jesus and Odegaard?

I think recent history is also skewed by the fact that we had morons running the club and giving out contracts. That much should be obvious. Apparently things have changed. At least the rumours of upgrading Maguire's deal went quiet and we didn't push through on that. Though we did with Bruno, through no need to do so. I guess we'll know at the end of this summer whether we're serious or still faffing about.

redIndianDevil

Quick google and it seems Chilwell earns 190K and James 250K. The latter wanted by Real Madrid, despite his injury record.

I think that applies to most clubs, most of the time. It probably didn't as much as it does, but still. Weren't Liverpool chasing Mount? Didn't they just break their wage structure to accommodate Salah? And Arsenal, how much are they paying Jesus and Odegaard?

I think recent history is also skewed by the fact that we had morons running the club and giving out contracts. That much should be obvious. Apparently things have changed. At least the rumours of upgrading Maguire's deal went quiet and we didn't push through on that. Though we did with Bruno, through no need to do so. I guess we'll know at the end of this summer whether we're serious or still faffing about.
So he is going to be paid >200k if we end up signing him.

Bondi77

Do you know how much we are paying Antony, Varane and Casemiro as they are new to the club?

Prodigal7

Only us deluded fans think this. Chelsea have been more successful recently and are among the bigger clubs these days.
They’ve been successful recently but a quick comparison of the online presence between the clubs shows we are still significantly bigger. Our match going contingent is also significantly bigger.

redIndianDevil

I think ETH wants to go to a 4-3-3 next season and having mount will help us play this system. Him and Bruno in the number 8 role with Casemiro will probably work. Mounts already said that his best position is number 8. He’s got good work ethic to play in that role aswell just like Bruno.
If anything Bruno has clearly shown that his work ethic doesn't translate into good performance when deployed deeper. It takes a completely different skillset to be effective deeper.

redIndianDevil

They’ve been successful but a quick comparison of the online presence between the clubs shows we are still significantly bigger. Our match going contingent is also significantly bigger.
I'm pretty sure City's online presence and match going contingent is significantly smaller than us or any other traditional big PL clubs but all that matters to players is money and chance to compete for titles.

redIndianDevil

Absolutely, that would certainly be my fear. If we were to get Kane and Rice or Caicedo I'd be very happy with Mount, because if nothing else he'd be an excellent player for rotation due to his versatility and I'd feel like at least the 2 most important positions have been addressed.
Im pretty sure if that was the plan no one would be against this transfer. We couldn't spend hardly anything on transfers in January and we are still getting news that our transfer budget will be limited(add in the ownership trouble). It makes no sense to drop 60m on Mount.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Do you know how much we are paying Antony, Varane and Casemiro as they are new to the club?
Quick browse (no idea how correct) suggests Antony's is on 190K (which is ludicrous), Varane 320K (again, crazy, but that was under Woodward and Ole), and Whitwell suggests Casemiro has parity with Dave (350K).

Yes, I'd say they are all over the mark, even though the latter two are world class. I've seen reports that we want to upgrade Martinez's contract which seems to be around 115K. I'm pretty amazed that Antony was paid 75K more.

I guess this all just highlights that one of the main things that needs to be worked on is addressing the wage issue at the club. If we are paying Mount 250K then we may as well still have Woodward doing the deals.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
What are people smoking? Some basic thinking would tell you that if Mount joins us he will be on very high wages.
Chelsea will have hardly offered him just slightly more than his current wages, but rather significantly more. If he still rejects it then he is joining us for significantly more than what he is rejecting at Chelsea. He will not leave his boyhood club and London just for 20 k more (which in net amount would be just 10k more on his account).
Make no mistake, if we sign Mount, relative to his ability it will be for huge fee and wages.

Bertie Wooster

I'm happy with the link to Mount. Though a lot depends on our overall budget, which, until the ownership issue is resolved, remains unknown.

Providing we've got the funds to sign Mount to help with the CAM positions, and still make the 2 or 3 other signings we need in other areas - especially #9 - then I think he'd be a good signing: bringing with him technical ability and good PL / CL / International experience for a 24 year old.

With so many things up in the air in terms of ownership and budget, it's really tough to say exactly how good a signing / realistic some of our reported targets are. But just judging it in terms of ability, and if it would be an upgrade, then I'd certainly be happy enough to see us sign Mount - provided the fee was more around the £40-£50m range, given he only has 1 year left on his deal, rather than what Chelsea are reportedly looking for.

Dazzmondo

Only us deluded fans think this. Chelsea have been more successful recently and are among the bigger clubs these days.
They just came 12th and frankly they're a total mess. A player'd have to be crazy to choose them over us if given the choice given each club's respective situation.

In Mount's case I could see him being particularly annoyed that the club shafted him on his wage for so long also. He's not actually a Chelsea fan either despite coming through their academy

Bondi77

Quick browse (no idea how correct) suggests Antony's is on 190K (which is ludicrous), Varane 320K (again, crazy, but that was under Woodward and Ole), and Whitwell suggests Casemiro has parity with Dave (350K).

Yes, I'd say they are all over the mark, even though the latter two are world class. I've seen reports that we want to upgrade Martinez's contract which seems to be around 115K. I'm pretty amazed that Antony was paid 75K more.

I guess this all just highlights that one of the main things that needs to be worked on is addressing the wage issue at the club. If we are paying Mount 250K then we may as well still have Woodward doing the deals.
With the wages we pay we should be in the top five sides in the world but we get outplayed often by teams that are on a fraction of what our players are on.
I wish we could pay our players based on what they do at our club an not just pay them upfront on what they have done at their previous club because they rarely replicate it here.

OrcaFat

Who is suggesting there is no difference? Of course there will be an adaptation, but there's no reason Mount can't do it. He's never played in front of a do-it-all DM of Casemiro's class - the point I'm continually making is that when Chelsea were functioning at their highest level over the past few years, Mount routinely played as a 10 in possession and an 8 off the ball.

The average position is calculated through tracking of isolated events - yes Mount looks higher because he tended to receive the ball in more advanced areas. If you do a viz of defensive events only, you'll see he was playing as a true midfielder off the ball - which is the relevant bit here given that's where so many are questioning his suitability as an 8.
Good post. However we may want our no8 to show for the ball in deeper areas as well. When Martinez is playing, his passing enables the no8 to push further forward but our no8 will surely need to collect the ball in the no6 area sometimes. Possibly this is as simple as an instruction from the coach (along with drills in training) but Mount has mostly not played that way in the past. He can do it, I believe, but we don’t know if EtH has earmarked him for that type of role.

It’s quite fascinating trying to predict how he’ll fit in. I’m a convert to this deal now. (Bet it doesn’t even happen now!)

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Unless I am completely misunderstanding and misinterpreting the rules, we should be fine on the homegrown quota front, even with a spate of departures this summer; recent United squads have been too bloated and carried a lot of deadweight anyway (relative to clubs that seriously competed on all fronts with streamlined collectives, like Manchester City or Real Madrid).

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/man-utd-premier-league-squad-confirmed-for-2021-22
  • A maximum of 17 senior non-homegrown players — those slots should be more than enough, methinks.
  • Homegrown players (we only need 8 of these if we want the full contingent of 25 senior players, and could get by with fewer) like Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Luke Shaw, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Nathan Bishop (or another budget-friendly homegrown goalkeeper), possibly Kane to arrive at a total of 23-ish senior players (excluding U-21s)?
  • Unlimited number of U-21s (i.e., under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences) like Alejandro Garnacho, Amad Diallo, Hannibal Mejbri, Kobbie Mainoo, Álvaro Fernandez (who will qualify as homegrown players in the years to come), Martin Baturina from Dinamo Zagreb (in the hypothetical scenario where we sign him), possibly Alex Scott from Bristol City (who will qualify as a homegrown player in the years to come, too).
Constructing a robust and competitive squad (with additional depth provided by U-21 players) should not be too hard, even with the homegrown stipulations and the possibility of a severe injury crisis.
Fair enough with the rules as they are now, but what will those rules be in the future?

I'm thinking if City win the CL, and next year it's two English finalists, then Uefa will act, they are terrified of Premier League money as it is. Bayern generally has the whole German league to pick their players from, PSG, Real, Barca the same; if they had to fight in their leagues for their own nationals it would be relatively easy for them. England would be a transfer window bloodbath, so nothing wrong with getting ahead now with English players whilst we can. The 'English tax' might be infuriating but if it's necessary to pay it then it's necessary.

I remember when nationality restrictions came about, in previous days of English dominance (mostly Liverpool, but not just them), English teams usually had top Scots, Irish, and Welsh playing for them, the new rules affected English teams disproportionately, as was intended.

redIndianDevil

Who is suggesting there is no difference? Of course there will be an adaptation, but there's no reason Mount can't do it. He's never played in front of a do-it-all DM of Casemiro's class - the point I'm continually making is that when Chelsea were functioning at their highest level over the past few years, Mount routinely played as a 10 in possession and an 8 off the ball.

The average position is calculated through tracking of isolated events - yes Mount looks higher because he tended to receive the ball in more advanced areas. If you do a viz of defensive events only, you'll see he was playing as a true midfielder off the ball - which is the relevant bit here given that's where so many are questioning his suitability as an 8.
Mount's best form has been while playing in front of Kante/Jorginho/Kovacic. Hence the concern with fans that while he may be decent in deeper positions he might struggle for us deeper.

0le

On the road already to becoming a fan favourite.

redIndianDevil

Chelsea seem to be all in for Caicedo and Ugarte. If they were really short on midfield options, then they'd do everything to keep Mount. He is dispensable for them, Liverpool also seem to prioritise Mac Allister more than Mount. Hope we aren't making a massive mistake.

Bondi77

Chelsea seem to be all in for Caicedo and Ugarte. If they were really short on midfield options, then they'd do everything to keep Mount. He is dispensable for them, Liverpool also seem to prioritise Mac Allister more than Mount. Hope we aren't making a massive mistake.
We get him at a good price and not stupid wages he will be good for us as he is a very good player.

Kellyiom

He was on a rookie contract for years and he has been outperforming that contract since about 2020 while poorer players with far less impact than Mount have been earning double sometimes triple his salary. I don’t blame him for wanting to be compensated for being one of the lowest paid players whilst also being one of the best and most important players on the team.

If 200K is all he wanted and nothing else I’d give it to him without hesitation and I’m sure Chelsea would too. I don’t actually know what his actual demand are. I find it weird too that Chelsea and Mount have failed to come an agreement.
You know the club and its workings pretty well evidently so I'm curious, all comedy banter aside, if Mason said his priority was winning something, and playing a big part of it, would leaving Chelsea be a great idea?

Or is Chelsea's behind scenes management even worse than we know?

TheRedHearted

Since Eriksen has (it seems) lost a lot of stamina and physical acuity (hesitate to say his legs are gone but it doesn’t look good), no8 is, imo, near the top of the priorities. CM is a key part of the team and only ever looked decent when both Eriksen and Case were fit and firing. Other than that it’s been pretty shocking.
I’d take Sabitzer there, and if Fred isn’t being sold (I hope he is) then we have him to slot in as well.

If we want a CM signing there are cheaper players out there who don’t occupy the same space as Bruno Fernandes. 60 million is a lot for a backup. That being said if the plan is to play casemiro and both Mount and Fernandes, I’ll look forward to seeing how it goes down.
Its funny that you have to bring Mancunian into this. He can be from any part of the world and I will still see him the same way. Yeah he is with Rio, the same guy who milked Ronaldo saga for Youtube subs when he had just started his channel. Stephen Howson rarely says insightful information on his own. And that video is no different, clickbaity title and the content is.. well, nothing he said that we didnt know already.

He is a good comedian though I'll give you that "If he costs 20 million, take him". I'd rather trust Ten Hag than this person who thinks 20 million gets you a decent player from PL :lol:
My point was that he lives there and is from there, so him giving a tour isn’t so crazy.

Everyone and anyone talked about the Ronaldo saga, it was basically the biggest story at the time.

So your issue with Howson

He only relies on numbers (not true)
His videos (including numbers) “rarely says insightful information”
(Numbers are extemely insightful to a footballers performance. The best scouts use them, not just the eye test because it tells the complete story)
“His titles are clickbaity”
“The worry with mason mount”
Is not click baity. As mentioned for every potential signing he talks about the worry and the case for them. How is it click baity if also then the video brings up numbers?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

EDIT: Actually reading that and seeing that he played as a cam at Vitesse, that probably tells me that's where ETH sees him playing in our team, since I'm sure that's where he first would have originally taken note of Mount.
There is quite literally zero chance of Antony being replaced.

samlee86

No better than Fred? Okay then.
He wouldn’t get into our team ahead of Erikson or Bruno.

His stats are so average. https://footystats.org/players/england/mason-mount

Not sure what he’s good at. Also why aren’t Chelsea desperate to keep him. They’re losing Kovacic and Kante. Surely if he was any good renewing his contract would be a priority.

I’d much rather we spent out limited budget on Caicedo or Rice.

If ETH is really keen on him then he can get him on a free next summer. Simples

Status
Not open for further replies.