Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufapshakur

Chelsea seem to be all in for Caicedo and Ugarte. If they were really short on midfield options, then they'd do everything to keep Mount. He is dispensable for them, Liverpool also seem to prioritise Mac Allister more than Mount. Hope we aren't making a massive mistake.
Let's not make a mountain out of a transfer deal. I'd like to see us return for the Mac as well.

Reyoji-Utd

Maybe he is the player that fit the system EtH wants to employ next year. Posters always complain that we dont sign any that fit the system we play and now come back and ridicule the one we want to. If EtH wants him then its good enough.

crossy1686

career ending
If it was just about 200K and nothing else, he would have signed a new deal a long time ago because Chelsea’s initial offer was said to be around 180K. A difference of 20K would not lead to such a long contractual standoff:
I thought it was about the length of the contract? Doesn’t Bohley want everyone on 7 or 8 year contracts and Mount wants something more short term?

norm87cro

I honestly dont know how I would rate him until I see at least 10 of his games but with Leicester being relegated surley Maddison was an option as well?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
To be fair, at the time we were still chasing De Jong which would have severely limited Eriksen's minutes.

And the point regarding Eriksen last summer wasn't that he couldn't play CM, it's that it's unlikely you can convert a player who has played his whole career as an attacking player into an elite deep lying midfielder. The fact we're looking to replace Eriksen's place in the team suggests that was correct, Eriksen did a decent job as a short term option but was never the solution.
At that time we didn't sign Casemiro too, he played as CM for Brentford and also at Inter. It wasn't completely new position for him.

We are trying to replace him because we are trying to improve as a team, not because Eriksen under performed.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Why not wait a year and sign him on a free.

He’s a decent player but he’s no better than Fred. He’s been sat on Chelsea’s bench for a reason. Two English mangers in Lampard and Potter haven’t fancied him. I can see why ETH would.

Really hoping this is just BS from his agent trying to get a new contract at Chelsea because he adds nothing to our team other than an extra body.
He’s not been playing due to 1) injury and 2) his contract stance. Irrespective he started 20 league games which doesn’t suggest he was considered a bench warmer.

Mount is like numerous youngsters in that he is a decent player but his development for one reason or another has stalled he needs a move for his own sake and the reason that there is talk at this point of time is his contract yes from a club perspective he needs to go in this window but he can’t take the risk that he will loose a year training with the reserves which would be the threat from club if he turned down a move

Probably a transfer will kick start matters but he is on his way out and it’s just a matter of which club

His contract demands have been excessive and it is widely rumoured that the new owners aren’t going to offer the wages that RA was happy to indeed the other day it was suggested in a news paper report the wage bill will as a % of turnover will reduce significantly over the next few years so other than the odd exception the days of stupid money just to retain players is over.

Oh and his ceiling is far higher than Fred who i believe including substitute appears has featured in all but 3 of your league games

Reactions: golden_blunder

roonster09

Scout
To be fair Mount is an extremely divisive player among Chelsea fans too. There are loads who don’t rate him at all and others who think he’s decent who should be no more than a rotational option if we want to be serious about challenging for the title.

If United sign him he’ll probably continue to be divisive and his players thread will probably be one of the most active threads.
Yeah it will be like that. It will be extreme takes and the one to avoid.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I thought it was about the length of the contract? Doesn’t Bohley want everyone on 7 or 8 year contracts and Mount wants something more short term?
That is my understanding of it but it's all speculation really. The contract offered was a bit too long and not quite enough (still a shitload though).

I'm almost always on the players side of these negotiations (and I am with Mount here). Negotiate as hard as you can to get as much as you can, especially when you see your (lesser performing) colleagues getting more just because they came in as a big transfer.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
That is my understanding of it but it's all speculation really.
Reece recently signed a new deal which was for five and a half years and Ben C extended his current deal which experts in 5 years.

From what I read Mount wanted wage parity with Sterling who is the clubs top earner and the initial offer to Mason was £200k per week

roonster09

Scout
Reece recently signed a new deal which was for five and a half years and Ben C extended his current deal which experts in 5 years.

From what I read Mount wanted wage parity with Sterling who is the clubs top earner and the initial offer to Mason was £200k per week
Matt Law said Mount didn't ask for 300k, if that's the case then surely he didn't ask to match Sterling's wages who is one of the highest paid player in the league.

Mason Mount has not demanded £300,000-a-week wages from Chelsea for a new contract, confirms The Telegraph’s Matt Law.

He told the London is Blue podcast: “The ownership want to keep him and see him as a future leader.

“I know there’s been rumours that Mason Mount has demanded £300,000 per week [to sign a new contract], but that’s not true.”

justsomebloke

I honestly dont know how I would rate him until I see at least 10 of his games but with Leicester being relegated surley Maddison was an option as well?
Not remotely comparable. Mount is a multi-role midfielder, Maddison is an attacker. Primarily a 10, where Bruno plays pretty much every game. He might improve our right flank, but I don't think an Antony upgrade is high on our list of priorities.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah so who is more reliable?

I'm sure it's Matt Law when it comes to Chelsea news?
Probably Matt Law but it’s absolutely clear that Mount wants more than Chelsea feel he is worth my guess, and it’s only that, but the same sort of deal that Reece signed would have been offered to Mount who clearly wants north of that number

Matt851

Let's not make a mountain out of a transfer deal. I'd like to see us return for the Mac as well.
Macallister is the midfielder who seems best suited to playing alongside casemiro from my perspective. He can do all the defensive work required and has a good passing range, and can score goals

roonster09

Scout
Probably Matt Law but it’s absolutely clear that Mount wants more than Chelsea feel he is worth my guess, and it’s only that, but the same sort of deal that Reece signed would have been offered to Mount who clearly wants north of that number
I don't know about that, I would rather go with what reliable journalists says about this, not the PR merchants who will be drumming what club wants them to tell (obviously for the perks they get).

Again up to each individual what news they want to believe.

Also talking about Reece James, it's amazing how that 250K is taken as fact when it was reported he is the highest paid defender in Chelsea's history and we all know Koulibaly is earning shit loads of money.

https://theathletic.com/3563197/2022/09/03/reece-james-chelsea-new-deal/

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know about that, I would rather go with what reliable journalists says about this, not the PR merchants who will be drumming what club wants them to tell (obviously for the perks they get).

Again up to each individual what news they want to believe.

Also talking about Reece James, it's amazing how that 250K is taken as fact when it was reported he is the highest paid defender in Chelsea's history and we all know Koulibaly is earning shit loads of money.

https://theathletic.com/3563197/2022/09/03/reece-james-chelsea-new-deal/
As you say it’s up to each individual what news they want to believe.

Also that link suggests differ to what you appear to be reading

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Mount's best form has been while playing in front of Kante/Jorginho/Kovacic. Hence the concern with fans that while he may be decent in deeper positions he might struggle for us deeper.
The only of those 3 who sits deep and screens the back line is Jorginho and if you think he and Casemiro are on the same level I'd like to know the name of your dealer

saivet

The only of those 3 who sits deep and screens the back line is Jorginho and if you think he and Casemiro are on the same level I'd like to know the name of your dealer
Both Kante and Kovacic play deeper than Bruno and Kante obvously contributes loads defensively but Kovacic also does much more defensively than Bruno. There will be greater emphasis on Mount at United defensively and in deeper positions compared to Chelsea, given the likely midfield combinations.

foolsgold

We should be all over this, Utd fan, relegated team and only a year left on his contract, coming into his prime years. He'd provide the rotation option for Bruno and basically be what Donny failed to be.

roonster09

Scout
As you say it’s up to each individual what news they want to believe.

Also that link suggests differ to what you appear to be reading
Not sure what it is saying different, in the very first line it says he will be the highest paid defender in Chelsea's history,

here is the same guy tweeting about it and as per Chelsea reddit, he is reliable. Covers Chelsea for Atheltic.

crossy1686

career ending
That is my understanding of it but it's all speculation really. The contract offered was a bit too long and not quite enough (still a shitload though).

I'm almost always on the players side of these negotiations (and I am with Mount here). Negotiate as hard as you can to get as much as you can, especially when you see your (lesser performing) colleagues getting more just because they came in as a big transfer.
Agree, it would also be pretty stupid to agree an 8 year deal on £200k a week when we have no idea where salaries will be in 3 to 5 years, and that’s before we factor in how Mount may perform over that time.

Dazzmondo

There is quite literally zero chance of Antony being replaced.
Why? He's not performing well enough to merrit starting every game. I'm not saying to sell him or anything but right now he could definitely be upgraded. If he performs well he can obviously win back his position which is the whole point of having a squad in the first place

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Club signs an expensive player that the manager doesnt prefer
"Why dont we go after players the manager actually wants? waste of money"

Club signs a player that the manager prefers, not the shiny one the fans want
"Why dont we go after more expensive players? the manager is dead wrong on this one"

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Think this will start speeding up next week. Once this games out the way.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
The only reason I can think of not to buy Mount would be that it might use transfer/wages budget needed for a centre-forward.

Mount instead of Eriksen would be a big squad upgrade for me, likeable as Eriksen is he doesn't tackle and gives up on players running past him too often.

Licha M

Mount?!
Mount?!
Stop pissing about
These are the signings we can do without
Come on!

Nah, good signing. Will do well for us.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The only reason I can think of not to buy Mount would be that it might use transfer/wages budget needed for a centre-forward.

Mount instead of Eriksen would be a big squad upgrade for me, likeable as Eriksen is he doesn't tackle and gives up on players running past him too often.
Agreed. We’d get away with having Eriksen against lower opposition for his creativity. Or if we need a goal we can Chuck him on with Bruno and mount. A lot of people was saying that we needed a younger version of Eriksen. Maybe this is it. What’s Mount like creative wise though? Or is he more of a dribbling midfield.

waza7111

Although Mount's performances haven't been very good this season, he did very well in 21/22 with 13 goals and 16 assists in all competitions.

Maybe ETH feels that he can help him regain that form.

RyRy11

Although Mount's performances haven't been very good this season, he did very well in 21/22 with 13 goals and 16 assists in all competitions.

Maybe ETH feels that he can help him regain that form.
If he signs for anything north of £50m I'm expecting his 21/22 output at a minimum.

BorisManUtd

If it's a reasonable fee - like 50M euros max, then fine. Mount only has 1 year left on his Chelsea contract, hopefully not even United are silly enough to pay huge money for him in that kind of situation.

And while I believe we need more defensive midfielder (that could be Rabiot) than Mount guess he'd fit ten Hag's style of play.

sixdwarf

Mason Mount is hugely overrated. There's a reason why he is not in the Chelsea 11. He is nothing more than a neat and tidy footballer who can do the basics but has no x factor, disappears in games too often and whose end product for me lacks. And I really do think we should be setting our sights higher.

Only one thing would concern me more
..buying the overrated Declan Rice for £100m plus.

Sparky Rhiwabon

£30-40m would be a fair price given his contract situation and poor performances last season. Any more than that would be too much.

sixdwarf

Close thread. Horrendous player compared to his hype
Totally agree. Mason Mount = Declan Rice. Much ado about zero X Factor. If Mount was £25m, fine. But he will be £55m plus. Surely we have a recruitment team that can - like Brighton - find value in the transfer market.

sixdwarf

To be fair Mount is an extremely divisive player among Chelsea fans too. There are loads who don’t rate him at all and others who think he’s decent who should be no more than a rotational option if we want to be serious about challenging for the title.

If United sign him he’ll probably continue to be divisive and his players thread will probably be one of the most active threads.
It is more about the hype. He has been way overrated. Overrated doesn't mean bad. He will be adaptable to the Ten Hag methods but won't give you that X factor that will take us to another level. We as a club have to get away from overpaying for just okay players. We must seek out the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.