Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mas Risky

Good signing. As a consequence, I believe McTominay will leave. His contract is still long (2025), so I think we will get decent money from his transfer.

Yet he was the POTY for Chelsea for both of those seasons you mentioned. I guess Chelsea fans haven’t paid as much attention to him as you?

2021/22 he would've been our best player in terms of goal contributions.
2020/21 tied fourth behind Bruno, Rashford & Cavani.

Don't know about wow moments but a midfielder scoring 22 goals and getting 25 assists in two seasons where people were supposedly asking those questions is pretty damn decent.
I don't understand what the "wow moments and x-factor" some people are asking here mean. His style of play is very calm and tidy, not as erratic as Bruno's. For possession-based tactics, these qualities are a plus.

Drifter

American
Not feeling this at all, but ETH thinks he sees something in him, so will reserve judgement

Abraxas

It’s a contract issue. I honestly don’t think there’s any difference between United and Chelsea if a player wants to win trophies and if you’re already at one of those clubs, swapping one for another doesn’t really enhance chances to win trophies.
There probably is a difference at this precise moment. You're as good as your last season in terms of gauging a probability of winning trophies. The recent history is less relevant.

We've won a trophy, albeit not a top tier one, and we're closer in the league which would probably make us shorter odds than Chelsea within any competition, and you're not even entering Europe to be awarded odds for that particular trophy probability.

I agree it wouldn't be a compelling distinction and there's obviously much more in play but I don't think it's correct to say there's isn't any difference.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Totally agree. Mason Mount = Declan Rice. Much ado about zero X Factor. If Mount was £25m, fine. But he will be £55m plus. Surely we have a recruitment team that can - like Brighton - find value in the transfer market.
It’s probably that statistically he’s already proved that he can do it in this league and hit the ground running. He’s not in his prime yet either. ETH probably sees it as him not having years to develop this team. He’s hungry for immediate success and upgrades which is fair enough if you want to go far in the CL. I also hope we do take on a few more developmental players for the first team this summer. A young DM/DLP would be a great shout. Young striker and sweeper keeper too and start blooding them in throughout the season.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Why on Earth are Utd rumoured to be looking at Mount for 70m when Mac Allister is available, going to Liverpool who don’t have CL footy!?

Surely Utd - with CL footy - could step in and hijack that?

And surely Mac is a better and more versatile fit for ETH’s Utd than Mount… and would be cheaper!?

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Not feeling this at all, but ETH thinks he sees something in him, so will reserve judgement
We desperately need to get rid of the mindset that we should entertain managers to get whatever despite the cost. He’s already had us mugged for Antony, that’s enough.

There’s players in Spain I’m sure that could fill that role for a lot cheaper.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There probably is a difference at this precise moment. You're as good as your last season in terms of gauging a probability of winning trophies. The recent history is less relevant.

We've won a trophy, albeit not a top tier one, and we're closer in the league which would probably make us shorter odds than Chelsea within any competition, and you're not even entering Europe to be awarded odds for that particular trophy probability.

I agree it wouldn't be a compelling distinction and there's obviously much more in play but I don't think it's correct to say there's isn't any difference.
I think you’re being a bit too pedantic to be honest. I don’t think there’s a difference. I certainly wouldn’t be swapping one club for another with the sole reason being to win trophies, which is what that poster was asking me.

SungSam7

Why do we constantly go for English players when you watch City and Arsenal use resources across Europe. Surely there is someone in Spain or Germany that would cost less and do the same job?

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Even £50m is too much.

He isn’t even athletic, nor is he top tier for pressing.
His pressing stats is fantastics (when he's selected).
I'm not sure where you get your number from.
It's his final ball that is lacking to be classed as a top drawer.
He'll definitely be better than Fred, and Eriksen after being fully integrated.

Lecland07

Mason Mount is hugely overrated. There's a reason why he is not in the Chelsea 11. He is nothing more than a neat and tidy footballer who can do the basics but has no x factor, disappears in games too often and whose end product for me lacks. And I really do think we should be setting our sights higher.

Only one thing would concern me more
..buying the overrated Declan Rice for £100m plus.
People repeating this enough will not make it the truth.

Firstly, he missed 12 games due to a pelvic injury towards the end of the season. He actually started most games up to that point, so he wasn't ever dropped.

Chelsea also offered him a £200k a week contract (Mount rejected it), so hardly the sign of a player they want to drop and be rid of.

luke511

Even £50m is too much.

He isn’t even athletic, nor is he top tier for pressing.
For an out of form player coming out of an injury with a year left on his contract, it is way way too much. Nobody comes close to that asking price apart from potentially us.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
People repeating this enough will not make it turn it into the truth.

Firstly, he missed 12 games due to a pelvic injury towards the end of the season. He actually started most games up to that point, so he wasn't ever dropped.
He was probably the most used player this season until his injury.

aeh1991

if we spend 70m on mount while caicedo would cost a similar sum, we havent moved on from Woodward era

IrishRedDevil

His pressing stats is fantastics (when he's selected).
I'm not sure where you get your number from.
It's his final ball that is lacking to be classed as a top drawer.
He'll definitely be better than Fred, and Eriksen after being fully integrated.
Fred has been pressing stats.

Abraxas

I think you’re being a bit too pedantic to be honest. I don’t think there’s a difference. I certainly wouldn’t be swapping one club for another with the sole reason being to win trophies, which is what that poster was asking me.
It's not really pedantic, it's a realistic appraisal. There's clearly a difference between finishing 3rd and 12th which is convenient for you to reduce to having little meaning for readiness to win trophies, but it's probably not accurate. It's an indication of where the club currently stands.

It's also a moment in time and football can and does change very quickly, of course. But it would be more compelling to invoke this when you had Roman and that particular management team because even if you fecked a season, there was currency to say they make the right choices more often than not. At the moment a lot relies on Boehly learning from his mistakes and Poch completely reinventing a side and these are uncertainties compared to United's position.

L1nk

Why do we constantly go for English players when you watch City and Arsenal use resources across Europe. Surely there is someone in Spain or Germany that would cost less and do the same job?
You mean City who spent 100 million on Jack Grealish and also bought Kalvin Philips, John Stones, Kyle Walker etc
Or Arsenal who look set to try and spend 100 or so million on Declan Rice this summer, who also bought Aaron Ramsdale, Ben White, Rob Holding etc

Sometimes English players are good and are liked by the manager/recruitment team. The fact they are English is an added benefit for homegrown reasons, a rule which still stands

Fabio Rochemback

He's a solid player but it's a lot of money to spend on a player who won't obviously improve our first eleven, especially when we apparently have a limited budget and at least 3 glaring holes in the first team!

Dannn411

£70m is laughable. That should be the end of this conversation. There are players who will do just as good a job if not better for £30m less.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Good signing. As a consequence, I believe McTominay will leave. His contract is still long (2025), so I think we will get decent money from his transfer.

I don't understand what the "wow moments and x-factor" some people are asking here mean. His style of play is very calm and tidy, not as erratic as Bruno's. For possession-based tactics, these qualities are a plus.
xW.

Yeap, good at retaining possession and very good at shielding the ball. I'm not 100% convinced either especially at the fees mentioned, but some of the stuff in this thread is just ridiculous.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's not really pedantic, it's a realistic appraisal. There's clearly a difference between finishing 3rd and 12th which is convenient for you to reduce to having little meaning for readiness to win trophies, but it's probably not accurate. It's an indication of where the club currently stands.

It's also a moment in time and football can and does change very quickly, of course. But it would be more compelling to invoke this when you had Roman and that particular management team because even if you fecked a season, there was currency to say they make the right choices more often than not. At the moment a lot relies on Boehly learning from his mistakes and Poch completely reinventing a side and these are uncertainties compared to United's position.
I obviously don’t mean for next season specifically. I meant generally, say over the next 5-10 years or the duration of a player’s contract. I don’t believe there’s a difference. Yes fair point about this new ownership needing to prove themselves again but I actually do like what I’ve seen so far.

RedorDead21

Chelsea also offered him a £200k a week contract (Mount rejected it), so hardly the sign of a player they want to drop and be rid of.
He’s had a season off. He wasn’t one of the few positive things in an awful season. He downed tools just like every one of them. Another player who plays well when he has x y and z all in harmony ain’t exactly where we are. That’s my worry.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ignoring the loans and free transfers.

ManUtdManCityArsenalLiverpool
2013-14
0​
0​
0​
0​
2014-15
1​
0​
2​
2​
2015-16
0​
3​
0​
3​
2016-17
0​
1​
1​
0​
2017-18
0​
1​
0​
2​
2018-19
1​
0​
0​
0​
2019-20
3​
0​
0​
0​
2020-21
0​
0​
0​
0​
2021-22
1​
1​
2​
0​
2022-23
0​
1​
0​
1​
Total
6​
7​
5​
8​

redIndianDevil

How well you think he has/hasn't done is irrelevant. ETH's opinion is what matters and there's been zero sign he's unhappy with Antony's performances/progress so far, after having layed out the sort of absolutely massive fee for him just last summer that suggests he fully intends for him to be a key part of the side. As is Antony is one of our most nailed on starters when fit.

And there are countless positions that are clearly more of a priority in the starting eleven, with us having been given absolutely no indication from any quarter that improving RW is even on our radar this summer. Whereas we've had report after report all since last summer telling us that the #8 position Mount could play is actually a priority.
The concern many of us have regarding mount is that he is not good enough to play as a 8. EtH while being a coach has made some questionable demands when it comes to transfers, so he is not infallible in this.

cyberman

Squad player is just a term that indicates their role in the team. Everyone is in the squad, but not everyone is a 'squad player'

Mctominay, Sabitzer and Lindelof are squad players, but I'd say someone like Erikson has been a regular starter this year. Then, we have our key players - Bruno, Rashford, Casemiro, etc.

Mount would certainly fill a role more important than 'squad player' should he sign.
Of course everybody is a squad player. Is Foden or Silva the squad player in their position? Dias or Ake?

redIndianDevil

If you want boring sideways passing these qualities are obviously a plus

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
If you were given the option to win today and sign Mason Mount, or lose today but us not sign him, which would you go for?

sixdwarf

Whichever way you square it, he is massively overrated and for the £65m+ he will cost we could get - for instance - Alexis McAllister and still have £10m left to play with.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is such an underwhelming player. But, he is the sort of player that could have helped us gain more points this season. Giving energy in away fixtures etc. Paying such money for a player who at best can contribute when everyone else is playing great, and not have enough quality on his own is dangerous, when we do need to fix holes in our squad.

He is basically gonna be replacing Mctominay, Fred, Donny in the team. First signing - and without selling any of those guys yet. The timing makes it a bad move, but it might be good, it just hinges on a lot of other pieces coming together in the window.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The concern many of us have regarding mount is that he is not good enough to play as a 8. EtH while being a coach has made some questionable demands when it comes to transfers, so he is not infallible in this.
Assuming we play with the sort of double advanced #8s system a side like City often do (where KDB and Gundogan/Silva effectively act as hybrid #8/#10s ahead of Rodri), I would be much less concerned as to whether Mount can play that role and more concerned as to whether that set up actually suits the rest of our team.

Because a big part of the reason that works for City is the high degree of midfield support, security in possession and ball progression they from their defence. And as is we don't have that.

Whereas if you swapped Gundogan/Silva for Mount in that particular City set-up there'd be no real issue in terms of how well he suits the position.

cyberman

Well, that all flew over your head. Nevermind
But you’re not arguing against my point, they’re all squad players. That’s not saying there isn’t some shite in the squad at the minute but, hopefully, the team evens that out to the point selection is based on form and who suits playing against the opposition etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.