Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixdwarf

Why on Earth are Utd rumoured to be looking at Mount for 70m when Mac Allister is available, going to Liverpool who don’t have CL footy!?

Surely Utd - with CL footy - could step in and hijack that?

And surely Mac is a better and more versatile fit for ETH’s Utd than Mount… and would be cheaper!?
A point I made
Good signing. As a consequence, I believe McTominay will leave. His contract is still long (2025), so I think we will get decent money from his transfer.

I don't understand what the "wow moments and x-factor" some people are asking here mean. His style of play is very calm and tidy, not as erratic as Bruno's. For possession-based tactics, these qualities are a plus.
I wouldn't pay £65m+ for calm and tidy.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
A point I made

What about a midfielder who scored 22 goals and assisted 25 in two seasons? Who would've been our best player in terms of goal contributions last season? Player of the Year for CL-winning Chelsea?

sixdwarf

if we spend 70m on mount while caicedo would cost a similar sum, we havent moved on from Woodward era
Different players positionally.but apart from that I agree. We needed to set sights higher than Mount. And we should not be blowing our budget in him.

sixdwarf

But you’re not arguing against my point, they’re all squad players. That’s not saying there isn’t some shite in the squad at the minute but, hopefully, the team evens that out to the point selection is based on form and who suits playing against the opposition etc.
Semantics. Of course every player is a squad player. But there are certain players who are first 11. Rashford, Casemiro and Bruno foe instance.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Why on Earth are Utd rumoured to be looking at Mount for 70m when Mac Allister is available, going to Liverpool who don’t have CL footy!?

Surely Utd - with CL footy - could step in and hijack that?

And surely Mac is a better and more versatile fit for ETH’s Utd than Mount… and would be cheaper!?
The irony is we are hijacking Mount from Liverpool

OrcaFat

We should be all over this, Utd fan, relegated team and only a year left on his contract, coming into his prime years. He'd provide the rotation option for Bruno and basically be what Donny failed to be.
When you try to sign these guys you have to sell the experience to them. We’d tell him he’s in a straight, fair fight with Bruno for no10. He wouldn’t fancy his chances.

cyberman

Semantics. Of course every player is a squad player. But there are certain players who are first 11. Rashford, Casemiro and Bruno foe instance.
Casemiro, Bruno and Eriksen are our first choice midfield and they’ve played something like 20 games together. It never works out on paper when you have first choice names and that’s it.
How many games will 31 year old Casemiro play for us? Eriksen got injured and when he came back Casemiro played some stupidly small amount of league games, I think it was 6?
It’s not semantics. It’s just less obvious now because we have so much shit in the squad but Ten Hag wants competition. Remember when Scott was playing so well Ten Hag was as able to bench Casemiro and ease him in? Remember when Sancho was sent to Holland but became a first choice player in the second half of the season? Now he’s bringing in a keeper to compete against 250k a week and GG winner De Gea

OrcaFat

Incidentally, those you mentioned are the guys who are in the box seats but I always say you need other squad players trying to displace them and succeeding at least some of the time.

Mas Risky

A point I made

Give me a name of an attacking midfield player who is potentially cheaper, has 20+ goals and assists in the last 4 years, and is still under 25 years old.

IMO, he is in the same bracket as Martin Odegaard.

If we want the best in the AM position with a long future ahead, the only player who fits the bill is Jamal Musiala. And we all know that he is not attainable.

sixdwarf

Incidentally, those you mentioned are the guys who are in the box seats but I always say you need other squad players trying to displace them and succeeding at least some of the time.
The debate was that everyone is a squad player. But there is always a hierarchy based on quality and form.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Agree. He is a nothing player. I watched almost every chelsea match in 20/21 and 21/22. If anyone interested can dig out the weekly PL threads. People were asking questions like what does he do? What's the point of him? , etc. I don't remember passage of chelsea play that produced much of wow moments when mount was involved.
Plenty of wow here. Including brilliant set piece deliveries, something we’re missing a lot.

redIndianDevil

Assuming we play with the sort of double advanced #8s system a side like City often do (where KDB and Gundogan/Silva effectively act as hybrid #8/#10s ahead of Rodri), I would be much less concerned as to whether Mount can play that role and more concerned as to whether that set up actually suits the rest of our team.

Because a big part of the reason that works for City is the high degree of midfield support, security in possession and ball progression they from their defence. And as is we don't have that.

Whereas if you swapped Gundogan/Silva for Mount in that particular City set-up there'd be no real issue in terms of how well he suits the position.
Mount is nowhere near as talented as Gundogan or Silva. City would have really issues if they did that.

samlee86

He’s not been playing due to 1) injury and 2) his contract stance. Irrespective he started 20 league games which doesn’t suggest he was considered a bench warmer.

Mount is like numerous youngsters in that he is a decent player but his development for one reason or another has stalled he needs a move for his own sake and the reason that there is talk at this point of time is his contract yes from a club perspective he needs to go in this window but he can’t take the risk that he will loose a year training with the reserves which would be the threat from club if he turned down a move

Probably a transfer will kick start matters but he is on his way out and it’s just a matter of which club

His contract demands have been excessive and it is widely rumoured that the new owners aren’t going to offer the wages that RA was happy to indeed the other day it was suggested in a news paper report the wage bill will as a % of turnover will reduce significantly over the next few years so other than the odd exception the days of stupid money just to retain players is over.

Oh and his ceiling is far higher than Fred who i believe including substitute appears has featured in all but 3 of your league games
The fact a Chelsea fan is trying to sell him on a United forum speaks volumes on Mount. If he was any good you would be desperate to keep him.

It’s like me trying to convince Newcastle fans that McTomminay is a good signing for them.

I’m pretty sure Todd can’t believe his luck that United want to sign a player they will bin to the reserves next season according to you.

Also, 20 league starts is half the season. So he missed the other half. We already have enough sick notes in our squad. And as you pointed out at least Fred is always available.

And “his ceiling” is just a figment of your imagination. What he’s shown so far in his career has been average at best. He’s not good enough for a top 6 side. His level is Aston Villa, Brighton or Everton.

OrcaFat

The debate was that everyone is a squad player. But there is always a hierarchy based on quality and form.
True, what I’m saying is that squad depth should ideally be such that the hierarchy changes.

Another way of putting it is that every player in the squad should believe that he can get into the team and it should be true that the quality is always improving and form is the main driver for selection.

Blood Mage

He walks into our midfield. How can people watch Fred and Eriksen play against City today and not think otherwise?

SinNombre

He walks into our midfield. How can people watch Fred and Eriksen play against City today and not think otherwise?
Have you seen Chelsea against City or any other top half possession team?

Mount and Chelsea get dominated way more.

SungSam7

Ignoring the loans and free transfers.

ManUtdManCityArsenalLiverpool
2013-14
0​
0​
0​
0​
2014-15
1​
0​
2​
2​
2015-16
0​
3​
0​
3​
2016-17
0​
1​
1​
0​
2017-18
0​
1​
0​
2​
2018-19
1​
0​
0​
0​
2019-20
3​
0​
0​
0​
2020-21
0​
0​
0​
0​
2021-22
1​
1​
2​
0​
2022-23
0​
1​
0​
1​
Total
6​
7​
5​
8​
That's fair enough, but how many are English in City's everyday line up? Grealish and Foden don't seem to be regular starters in the team together, Walker is without a doubt the best RB for England, John Stones is a lucky boy to be in that line up.

Again, with Arsenal, other than White and Saka, would you say any of them would be worth at least 50 million?

SungSam7

You mean City who spent 100 million on Jack Grealish and also bought Kalvin Philips, John Stones, Kyle Walker etc
Or Arsenal who look set to try and spend 100 or so million on Declan Rice this summer, who also bought Aaron Ramsdale, Ben White, Rob Holding etc

Sometimes English players are good and are liked by the manager/recruitment team. The fact they are English is an added benefit for homegrown reasons, a rule which still stands
Philips doesn't play, Walker was fool proof, he was the best RB in the league, John Stones looks better than he should in that city team. City have the luxury of squandering money on above average English players, we don't, could easily look towards the rest of Europe, you trying to tell me Mount is on par with Bruno who we paid just under 50 million excluding bonuses?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That's fair enough, but how many are English in City's everyday line up? Grealish and Foden don't seem to be regular starters in the team together, Walker is without a doubt the best RB for England, John Stones is a lucky boy to be in that line up.

Again, with Arsenal, other than White and Saka, would you say any of them would be worth at least 50 million?
Stones, Walker, Grealish are undoubtedly their starters and part of their best team.

Arsenal play White, Saka, Ramsdale. Are you saying Saka isn't worth 50 million?

Every single City's starting English players are worth 50 million easily.

L1nk

Philips doesn't play, Walker was fool proof, he was the best RB in the league, John Stones looks better than he should in that city team. City have the luxury of squandering money on above average English players, we don't, could easily look towards the rest of Europe, you trying to tell me Mount is on par with Bruno who we paid just under 50 million excluding bonuses?
Who said anything about Mount being on par with Bruno, your point was City and Arsenal don't target English players but players in Europe instead and I pointed out that it wasn't true, you conveniently skipped over Arsenal by the way.

I'm not exactly disagreeing with you but ETH and the recruitment team have clearly identified they can get what they consider to be a good deal for Mount and it is what it is.

led_scholes

We should bayern them. Tap him now and get him for free next year. Ridiculous to spend 50 mil on a player who wants to leave with one year left on his contract, just because Chelsea want to cover their overspending.

ForeverRed1

I really like this signing. He’s young and technically very good. Rubbish season just gone but that’s a product of Chelsea at the moment. If ETH can get him back to last season and season before, he can be a big big player for us.

Chief123

:lol: We are hijacking their mount transfer and they are hijacking our Mcallister transfer.
Even though I’m not super excited about Mount, he’s still more productive than MacAllister.

MaCallister is one of many players who are looking excellent in a Brighton system. Even welbeck looks great.

Lecland07

After watching today's performance Mount is not the solution.
I remember him putting in some great displays against City. Good on the ball and good against the press. If anything, he is more of the type of player that we need.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
No one player is the solution.

After watching Eriksen's performance, you can see why the manager would think somebody like Mount could be part of the solution.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Easy to see why we would want him to replace Eriksen whose legs have gone but won't help this team getting bullied physically.

cyberman

Get him in. You saw how well we did when Fred had a good spell in the game. We need that for 90 with more quality attached.
He’s a 1000 percent upgrade on Eriksen

Teja

I think the opposite actually, he'd have been much better than Eriksen today. Eriksen was very easily bypassed and he can't exactly dribble with the ball.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Certainly not hard to see how the extra legs, energy and pressing he'd bring over Eriksen would have helped, without the drop off in technique other options we have carry.

Though obviously that's not quite the same as the way we'd line up in most games given Antony was out.

Chairman Steve

Put Mount where Eriksen was today and we’d have looked better. Eriksen is great for lesser teams who play low block and Mount would have been great for this type of game.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Seeing us vs City, Mount is not solution. We need playmaking classic central midfielder.
Yep. All the intelligence, positional play and pressing won’t help without a couple of more players who can keep and pass the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.