Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixdwarf

Maybe he is the player that fit the system EtH wants to employ next year. Posters always complain that we dont sign any that fit the system we play and now come back and ridicule the one we want to. If EtH wants him then its good enough.
So he will play the 8 role instead of Eriksen? Eriksen at his best ( I stress at his best) is twice the player Mount is.

sixdwarf

£30-40m would be a fair price given his contract situation and poor performances last season. Any more than that would be too much.
That brings you another Van De Beek. Which is about right. We don't need another Van De Beek.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Mason Mount is hugely overrated. There's a reason why he is not in the Chelsea 11. He is nothing more than a neat and tidy footballer who can do the basics but has no x factor, disappears in games too often and whose end product for me lacks. And I really do think we should be setting our sights higher.

Only one thing would concern me more
..buying the overrated Declan Rice for £100m plus.
What do you mean he's not?

He's started 26 out of the 37 matches he's been available for.

20/26 PL
5/9 CL
1/1 FAC
0/1 CC

Bondi77

The way we operate it will be a 60mil transfer fee and a 5yr deal at 200k a week.

Tony247

Mason Mount is hugely overrated. There's a reason why he is not in the Chelsea 11. He is nothing more than a neat and tidy footballer who can do the basics but has no x factor, disappears in games too often and whose end product for me lacks. And I really do think we should be setting our sights higher.

Agree. He is a nothing player. I watched almost every chelsea match in 20/21 and 21/22. If anyone interested can dig out the weekly PL threads. People were asking questions like what does he do? What's the point of him? , etc. I don't remember passage of chelsea play that produced much of wow moments when mount was involved.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Agree. He is a nothing player. I watched almost every chelsea match in 20/21 and 21/22. If anyone interested can dig out the weekly PL threads. People were asking questions like what does he do? What's the point of him? , etc. I don't remember passage of chelsea play that produced much of wow moments when mount was involved.
Yet he was the POTY for Chelsea for both of those seasons you mentioned. I guess Chelsea fans haven’t paid as much attention to him as you?

2021/22 he would've been our best player in terms of goal contributions.
2020/21 tied fourth behind Bruno, Rashford & Cavani.

Don't know about wow moments but a midfielder scoring 22 goals and getting 25 assists in two seasons where people were supposedly asking those questions is pretty damn decent.

Last edited:

sixdwarf

He is a typical product of modern coaching systems. There are a host of okay players who can play simple and can adapt to different systems with no X Factor. But they don't cost over £55m.

Dan_F

So he will play the 8 role instead of Eriksen? Eriksen at his best ( I stress at his best) is twice the player Mount is.
Eriksen who’s playing his first season in that position? He’s fine when we have the ball but he’s a complete passenger off it and definitely hinders what Ten Hag wants to do in terms of pressing.

RuudTom83

Squad needs depth, an injury to Rashford or Casemiro and United become a side fighting for 4th-6th place.

I'm not a huge fan of Mount, but I can't say I've ever taken much notice of his game tbh...but one thing is for sure EtH needs options and bodies in the midfield.

A lot depends on the price...I wouldn't go above 45 million if I was United and I'd move on very quickly if Chelsea start to drag their heels.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Yes there is, injury. He's been a first choice Chelsea player for the last several years right through to his hip problem this season, which saw him out for a period, briefly return and then be ruled out again for the rest of the season.

The fact that you didn't know this pretty basic information suggests we should take your general assessment of him with a grain of salt.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'd honestly rather Jeff Schlupp, never mind Ebere Eze.

Terry Chango

Yet he was Chelsea player of the season both in 20/21 and 21/22….:houllier:

cyberman

No offence but you’ve stated that you don’t want Bruno to start the final today so I’ll take this assessment with a grain of salt

sixdwarf

Squad needs depth, an injury to Rashford or Casemiro and United become a side fighting for 4th-6th place.

I'm not a huge fan of Mount, but I can't say I've ever taken much notice of his game tbh...but one thing is for sure EtH needs options and bodies in the midfield.

A lot depends on the price...I wouldn't go above 45 million if I was United and I'd move on very quickly if Chelsea start to drag their heels.
He won't be being bought as a squad player and his price will be well over £45m. That is the problem. Someone said Eriksen is a liability off the ball. I don't see Mount as any better tracking back. The difference is Eriksen can create game-changing moments at his best.

If we get him I hope Ten Hag gets something out of him we haven't previously seen.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why? He's not performing well enough to merrit starting every game. I'm not saying to sell him or anything but right now he could definitely be upgraded. If he performs well he can obviously win back his position which is the whole point of having a squad in the first place
How well you think he has/hasn't done is irrelevant. ETH's opinion is what matters and there's been zero sign he's unhappy with Antony's performances/progress so far, after having layed out the sort of absolutely massive fee for him just last summer that suggests he fully intends for him to be a key part of the side. As is Antony is one of our most nailed on starters when fit.

And there are countless positions that are clearly more of a priority in the starting eleven, with us having been given absolutely no indication from any quarter that improving RW is even on our radar this summer. Whereas we've had report after report all since last summer telling us that the #8 position Mount could play is actually a priority.

macheda14

The reason being he’s been injured for much of this season and didn’t fit in how Potter (who was a disaster) wanted to play. Crazy that Tuchel really rated him and he was player of the season under him. Also reported that Poch wants to keep him as well.

I’m whelmed by this signing, but it’s telling that Klopp, Arteta and ETH have all had an interest in him.

I don't see Mount as any better tracking back.
his off the ball work is one of his biggest assets?!

cyberman

He won't be being bought as a squad player and his price will be well over £45m. That is the problem. Someone said Eriksen is a liability off the ball. I don't see Mount as any better tracking back. The difference is Eriksen can create game-changing moments at his best.

If we get him I hope Ten Hag gets something out of him we haven't previously seen.
Everybody in our squad is a squad player. How this idea has been accepted as fact is beyond me

Rodgerzzz

He's one of Sir Gareth's boys so I'm all aboard. This opinion has the unfortunate side effect of requiring Harry Maguire to stay at Utd.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The guy scored in CL QF, SF and had a beautiful assist in the final. He scored this beauty at Anfield in a 1-0 win

He ended this season as Chelsea player of the season, which he won in 21/22 as well after putting together the most productive season of his career with 13 goals and 16 assists

AnotherLondonManc

Everybody in our squad is a squad player. How this idea has been accepted as fact is beyond me
Squad player is just a term that indicates their role in the team. Everyone is in the squad, but not everyone is a 'squad player'

Mctominay, Sabitzer and Lindelof are squad players, but I'd say someone like Erikson has been a regular starter this year. Then, we have our key players - Bruno, Rashford, Casemiro, etc.

Mount would certainly fill a role more important than 'squad player' should he sign.

dove

£70m? 1 year left on contract, he wants to leave, Chelsea need to sell, can't see how they can stick to this price tag. So naturally knowing us, we will agree on something like £70m + £20m addons.

Abraxas

They'll probably find a compromise between those figures. I think 60 million will be a very strong bid for Mount, even within the context of some competition for him. Once the negotiations ramp up I think they'll be hard pushed to reject that kind of figure because I'm not sure anyone else will be going there. I think 50 million was a competitive start and obviously they would be starting at a fee they would see as good for United, and vice versa for Chelsea.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Anything more than £40m with his contract situation & Chelsea’s finances would be too much.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You know the club and its workings pretty well evidently so I'm curious, all comedy banter aside, if Mason said his priority was winning something, and playing a big part of it, would leaving Chelsea be a great idea?

Or is Chelsea's behind scenes management even worse than we know?
It’s a contract issue. I honestly don’t think there’s any difference between United and Chelsea if a player wants to win trophies and if you’re already at one of those clubs, swapping one for another doesn’t really enhance chances to win trophies.

jeepers

Is he better than Lee Kang-In who was linked with us just before the Mount news started surfacing?

I would disappointed we pay more than £45m for Mount. Only pros are that he is homegrown and has top level league and European experience.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Yet he was the POTY for Chelsea for both of those seasons you mentioned. I guess Chelsea fans haven’t paid as much attention to him as you?

2021/22 he would've been our best player in terms of goal contributions.
2020/21 tied fourth behind Bruno, Rashford & Cavani.

Don't know about wow moments but a midfielder scoring 22 goals and getting 25 assists in two seasons where people were supposedly asking those questions is pretty damn decent.
POTY in a team that finished 3rd and 4th in the Premier league those seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.