Mason Mount

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
hes actually scored more than lampard did in his 1st 100 games for chelsea
https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...-100-chelsea-games-compare-to-frank-lampards/

Mason Mount
Games: 100
Starts: 83
Sub appearances: 17

Goals: 16
Assists: 13

Penalties scored: 1

Minutes per goal: 461.1
Minutes per non-penalty goal: 491.8
Minutes per goal or assist: 254.4

Frank Lampard
Games: 100
Starts: 94
Sub appearances: 6

Goals: 15
Assists: 7

Penalties scored: 0

Minutes per goal: 568
Minutes per non-penalty goal: 568
Minutes per goal or assist: 387.2

I honestly think Mount is a cracking player... if he was called Mason De Mount or Mountiniho he might actually be recognised for it... Clearly united will never sign him but Id take him over pogba to be honest.
That's due to Lampards slow start.

Why does that matter? Grealish gets people excited.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I think it’s mostly rallying against the bizarre overrating of him. For example.

I mean, he’s a 1 in 6 player. It’s also stomach churning to listen to commentators in every game he plays.
Which came about due to the ridiculous critisism of him.

Southgate was right, people have stopped branding him a pet project now Tuchel is picking him aswell.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think he’s a bit like Nedved. A bundle of energy, very well rounded, very direct, two footed, versatile. I’d be surprised if he ended up anywhere near as good though.
I think that's a good shout. They have some stylistic and positional differences but there are a lot of similarities too. Nedved put a lot of work into crafting his game, working on his two footedness, working hard on fitness, working on his shooting, basically having that drive to improve every aspect of his game to ensure that he's the best he can be, and I get the same impression with Mount, especially watching how he's developed from his loan at Derby to winning the CL with Chelsea and playing a crucial role. Every aspect of his game is constantly improving and he provides that same high energy performances and versatility that Nedved did. I also don't think Mount will be nearly as good (few will be), but I also think he's a player who's quite hard to gauge what his ceiling will be.

Why is no one saying Lampard? He's a clone of Lampard to me. Apart from the goals of course but that will come with experience.
I think there are similarities but I think there are a couple of big differences too. I think Mount is better at dribbling, and is someone who is more likely to knit the play together by taking up clever positions in space and keeping things ticking over. Lampard had good vision and could pick a great pass, but I guess partly due to the managers and teams he played in would often be more direct with these aspects, getting the ball forward quickly, trying to create a chance, or with his incredible footballing IQ making those late runs into the box, finding space and firing it in from the edge.

I think the biggest similarities between Lampard and Mount have more to do with perception from others than how they behave on the pitch. Mount has gotten a lot of kudos recently (maybe a tiny bit too much), but it wasn't that long ago he was being criminally underrated outside of Chelsea supporters (and by some Chelsea supporters too), In January a poster on here claimed Lampard was sacked because of him sticking by Mount, and then when told Mount had been pretty good his counter was only the English saw anything in him because of his running, and that he would never play for Tuchel. Lampard faced some similar claims early on in his career (that famous video at West Ham with the supporter and Redknapp comes to mind), his talent was more understated than some, his strengths less in your face. He turned round this perception that some had of him by constantly giving consistent performances, and once he managed to add changing games in such a pivotal manner as getting goals and assists it became impossible to disregard him. I think Mount is on a similar path.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Grealish is nearly 26 and pretty much the finished article. He's a top player in his prime.

Mount is a still a baby in comparison to Grealish. Foden is a fairer comparison as theres only 8 months between them age wise.

I think they'd be great in the same side by the way, very complimentary in my eyes.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Grealish is nearly 26 and pretty much the finished article. He's a top player in his prime.

Mount is a still a baby in comparison to Grealish
. Foden is a fairer comparison as theres only 8 months between them age wise.

I think they'd be great in the same side by the way, very complimentary in my eyes.
So the fancy name only applies based on age!?

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Mount is a 7/10 in every department. Such a tidy player. Reminds me of Thomas Muller

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So the fancy name only applies based on age!?
Isn't Grealish sort of living proof not to declare too soon?

At Mount's age he was in the Championship just after playing for one of the worst teams in PL history breaking the record for longest matches without a PL win.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Who here has thrown up the (continually lazy) Iniesta comparison ?
Come on,own up.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Which came about due to the ridiculous critisism of him.

Southgate was right, people have stopped branding him a pet project now Tuchel is picking him aswell.
He's had unfair criticism and over the top praise, he's currently a very good PL player even despite his age. He is already a stand out performer for a top four side. He's not quite in the argument for the best player in the league but it's not a stretch to say he won't be in the next few seasons.

acnumber9

Not having someone good on corners is how you end up with Phil Jones taking them!
Fair point. He was whipping them in to Daley Blind though. Beckham would’ve struggled to get an assist there.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
Mount is a 7/10 in every department. Such a tidy player. Reminds me of Thomas Muller
Pretty much this. But his ball-striking technique, work ethic and determination are 9/10. I remember when we signed KDB and he was no where near as well-rounded as Mount at the same age but had similar level of ball-striking technique. KDB could ping some great passes, crosses and set-pieces but was lacking in areas that Mount doesn't.

Even if he doesn't reach the very top tier of players - a model professional who can ping a pass, score with both feet, take mean set-piece, and is defensively sound will always be a massive asset to any side. I think he'll at the very least match what KDB has achieved in this league which is more than satisfactory.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He does have brown hair and Messi also has brown hair. Something in this.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's had unfair criticism and over the top praise, he's currently a very good PL player even despite his age. He is already a stand out performer for a top four side. He's not quite in the argument for the best player in the league but it's not a stretch to say he won't be in the next few seasons.
The OTT praise felt like a reaction to the weird criticism he was receiving for no reason. I do agree with you though, there seems to be a fine line between being underrated and overrated. Mount appears to have crossed over to latter lately.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
There’s players out there that you can tell have watched Messi and Ronaldo videos on repeat trying to copy them. Hence why we have so many good-very good wingers with no real uniqueness about them.

When it comes to Mount people tend to either be excessive with insults or OTT with praise and that’s simply because there’s not been many players like him and they have trouble identifying with him.

But honestly, the boy will go right to the very top! His Dad keeps him very grounded and his work ethic is extraordinary. That’s what separates your Hazards from your Ronaldo’s.

El Jefe

Pretty much this. But his ball-striking technique, work ethic and determination are 9/10. I remember when we signed KDB and he was no where near as well-rounded as Mount at the same age but had similar level of ball-striking technique. KDB could ping some great passes, crosses and set-pieces but was lacking in areas that Mount doesn't.

Even if he doesn't reach the very top tier of players - a model professional who can ping a pass, score with both feet, take mean set-piece, and is defensively sound will always be a massive asset to any side. I think he'll at the very least match what KDB has achieved in this league which is more than satisfactory.
The KDB you're referring to here must not be Kevin De Bruyne because reading this you'd think you're talking about James Milner. KDB is one of the best players to ever play in the PL.

If you think Mount at the very least matches his level, you must either think KDB isn't that good or that Mount has Ballon d'or potential. In both cases, you're wrong IMO.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
The KDB you're referring to here must not be Kevin De Bruyne because reading this you'd think you're talking about James Milner. KDB is one of the best players to ever play in the PL.

If you think Mount at the very least matches his level, you must either think KDB isn't that good or that Mount has Ballon d'or potential. In both cases, you're wrong IMO.
How many balon dors has kdb won again ?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Honestly, I'm beginning to think he's absolutely class. Think he'll be widely regarded as one of the best players in the league within a season or two. I reckon he may even end up our player of the tournament.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal

At the same age who was better ? It's close.

Classical Mechanic

I think it’s mostly rallying against the bizarre overrating of him. For example.

I mean, he’s a 1 in 6 player. It’s also stomach churning to listen to commentators in every game he plays.
He got 14 in Holland in his first professional season. I think he'll start scoring a lot more as he develops.

His career so far has been

Chelsea Youth

• U18 Premier League: 2016–17
  • FA Youth Cup: 2015–16 2016–17
  • UEFA Youth League: 2015–16
Chelsea

• UEFA Champions League: 2020–21
  • FA Cup runner-up: 2019–20 2020–21
England U19

• UEFA European Under-19 Championship: 2017
Individual

• Chelsea Academy Player of the Year: 2016–17
  • UEFA European Under-19 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2017
  • UEFA European Under-19 Championship Golden Player: 2017
  • Eredivisie Talent of the Month: January 2018
  • Vitesse Player of the Year: 2017–18
  • Eredivisie Team of the Year: 2017–18
  • Chelsea Player of the Year: 2020–21
  • UEFA Champions League Squad of the Season: 2020–21
  • Premier League Academy Graduate of the Year: 2020–21
He's a born winner and I think he can reach the very top. He's been selected in the Champions League squad of the season this year so he's already in the conversation with the elite. If he can add more goals he'll continue getting the individual accolades. He may not have that bit of extra flair or x factor but technically and tactically he's very good. His mentality is elite which is why I back him to keep improving. I'm not saying he's a future Ballon D'Or because I don't think that extra dimension is there but I think he'll have a very top level career. Tuchel says that the physical aspect of his his game is top level too. This is another aspect where Lampard comparisons are apt. He recovers very quickly and can run hard for 50+ games a season. Tuchel said that when you consider the full package he's a complete player. It isn't feint praise.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I like him and think he's a very good player, but I don't think he is brilliant at any one thing really. Just an all rounder with an excellent work ethic on and off the pitch, a good mentality and relentless spirit and a smart player so he just helps the team. Hard to shine if you're playing as a 10 like that, but should be the #8 in a midfield 3 to let a more creative guy like Grealish be ahead of him and it'd be fine IMO. Seems like a good guy too. For the #10 position though I do think that the player should be a true difference maker as it links so many key parts of the pitch, and I'm not sure he's good enough to be a top player there (like Bruno or Grealish or KdB), but as a support to them its perfect.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Player like Keane praised him and comparing him to scholes. I rarely see Keane praising someone that too comparing mount to scholes.I will take that on face value than some stats warriors.

He played well in euro opener too. He put the ball on plate to Kane to score. If Kane failed to convert easiest chance on the night it's not his fault. His over the top ball to sterling is not bad either.

acnumber9

Player like Keane praised him and comparing him to scholes. I rarely see Keane praising someone that too comparing mount to scholes.I will take that on face value than some stats warriors.

He played well in euro opener too. He put the ball on plate to Kane to score. If Kane failed to convert easiest chance on the night it's not his fault. His over the top ball to sterling is not bad either.
You don’t need stats to see that he’s nothing like Paul Scholes.

El Jefe

How many balon dors has kdb won again ?
I didn't know ballon d'or potential and ballon d'or winner meant the same thing.
At the same age who was better ? It's close.
Football isn't as linear as that but even so he was voted Bundesliga player of the season. He did all he could at Bremen.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I didn't know ballon d'or potential and ballon d'or winner meant the same thing.
Football isn't as linear as that but even so he was voted Bundesliga player of the season. He did all he could at Bremen.
What's his highest finish then lmfao ?
You're throwing out nonsense terms like balon dor potential (even though kdb hasn't come near one) don't act like it means anything substantial.

JB7

He is a perfectly ok, consistent 6/10 player. Should be around the England squad but nowhere near justifies his automatic selection in every game.

Especially if England are playing a right footed left back as that kills off his best move which is pulling out to the left and sliding the overlapping full-back in behind.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

Yeah, but Lampard was over two years older than Mount when he got to Chelsea. Lampard arrived at Chelea as a 23 year old. Mount is still 22 and has a better goal/assist record in his first 100 games than Lampard did when he was 23-25.

acnumber9

Keane was on about the Scholes he played with not the mythical Scholes post retirement that's better than Zidane and whatnot
Sorry. I forgot you weren’t allowed to not believe every Chelsea player is amazing when in the company of Chelsea fans.