Mason Mount

acnumber9

I thought this bump would be about him choking in the cup final. He’s being built up into a player he just isn’t.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's been that good huh?

What are his stats for the season?
Second most shots created in the league behind only Bruno. 4th most pressures in the league behind only Hojberg, Bruno (wtf), and Conor Gallagher.

Needs to work on his finishing and decision-making in the final third but the foundation is there for him to be a top top player.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think he’s great, remember discussing him on here with a poster who blamed him for Lampard losing his job and that Tuchel would instantly drop him. This was after Lampard was using him all over the place and he was still performing despite his role within the team changing.

I think he’s really well balanced and is very tidy technically too. A poster above mentions working on his finishing and decisions in the final third, and I think if he could become a consistent danger in those areas he’ll be a great player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Second most shots created in the league behind only Bruno. 4th most pressures in the league behind only Hojberg, Bruno (wtf), and Conor Gallagher.

Needs to work on his finishing and decision-making in the final third but the foundation is there for him to be a top top player.
Cheers.

My early take on Mount was that he was unfairly judged (at least here) as some mediocre skilled footballer, and that he looked a much more exciting talent than he was given credit for. Looking at the whole Grealish Vs Mount Vs Maddison thread, you'd think he had no ability on the ball.

At the same time, I do get the feeling that he's not quite as good as he's now being made out by many. He works bloody hard, and is an intelligent/creative footballer but I think his natural ability may fall a little short of being a top class player. For example , no offense, but Greenwood, Foden and Sancho appear to have that elite footballing ability that I think Mount may not possess. Not that natural ability is everything in football. Maybe his mental attributes will push him higher than them.

But regardless I see him being a huge asset for Chelsea. Seems to be your version of Rashford. Does need to up his end product though at a big club. Chelsea's attack clicking could help

redrobed

Think he’d be a better fit for us than Grealish. Seems very involved in everything. We should be declaring an interest at least I think - let him push for the move. If we get him great. If Chelsea hold fast (let’s face it, they don’t need the money) then they end up with an unsettled player that’s resentful to them for blocking his big move.

cyberman

It’s not a United v Chelsea thing. He’s just being completely overblown.
I agree. Their win rate dropping with Mount as the attacking fulcum isnt a coincidence, you just have to be elite in England to consistently carry a side. Theres nothing wrong with being below that.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Cheers.

My early take on Mount was that he was unfairly judged (at least here) as some mediocre skilled footballer, and that he looked a much more exciting talent than he was given credit for. Looking at the whole Grealish Vs Mount Vs Maddison thread, you'd think he had no ability on the ball.

At the same time, I do get the feeling that he's not quite as good as he's now being made out by many. He works bloody hard, and is an intelligent/creative footballer but I think his natural ability may fall a little short of being a top class player. For example , no offense, but Greenwood, Foden and Sancho appear to have that elite footballing ability that I think Mount may not possess. Not that natural ability is everything in football. Maybe his mental attributes will push him higher than them.

But regardless I see him being a huge asset for Chelsea. Seems to be your version of Rashford. Does need to up his end product though at a big club. Chelsea's attack clicking could help
I think that's a very reasonable take. I don't view him as someone who can consistently carry a team to the highest level as the best player in attack, but I do view him as generally indispensable in terms of knitting the side together. Agreed that he's flipped somehow this season from being criminally underrated to now probably being slightly overrated. Still the obvious choice for PotY at Chelsea, mind.

The caveat is that while I don't really think his current trajectory of improvement is sustainable, if he makes another leap next year to the extent he has this one he won't be far off the very elite (i.e. top 5 players in the league). That's a tall order though and if even if he merely stays at his current level he's a massive asset for the team as you say.

tomaldinho1

It’s not a United v Chelsea thing. He’s just being completely overblown.
I think he's in the conversation with the best guys in his position for his age group - I don't think anyone is proclaiming him as the next Messi. I've always maintained he would be world class if he had slightly more pace, although I often think our bar for 'world class' is stupidly high due to Ronaldo/Messi. If he can hit double figures for both goals and assists in a PL season in his role, that's elite level. I reckon he'll do that next season, more so if Werner isn't starting because his decision making is so woeful.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was underrated and now is being overrated.
Yeah I think so too. He’ll always be a managers favourite too, it’s just the way he plays. Very selfless and relatively versatile.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Honestly, winning Chelsea's POTY at 22 is no mean feat. Should be proud of that one. From what I've seen this season he genuinely deserves it too.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I agree. Their win rate dropping with Mount as the attacking fulcum isnt a coincidence, you just have to be elite in England to consistently carry a side. Theres nothing wrong with being below that.
I hardly ever see anybody label him world class or among the elites of the world. He does sometimes get a barrage of praise from fans and pundits but it's mostly very reasonable praise. He's a fine player who is constantly developing. He made a big jump from last season to this season. If he makes a similar jump next season, he'd be some player.

acnumber9

He was underrated and now is being overrated.

He'll be our captain for years to come (I hope) but he's not "best player in the world" material.
Yeah probably. He just seems like Chelsea’s Jesse Lingard to me. The good version of him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I remember reading a lot of comments from Chelsea fans online last summer about how Mount would struggle to get regular game time with all the new signings. The truth is he's their best midfielder by far.

Once again having an English name and not costing a club millions counts against a top player. He's been superb for Chelsea.

acnumber9

I hardly ever see anybody label him world class or among the elites of the world. He does sometimes get a barrage of praise from fans and pundits but it's mostly very reasonable praise. He's a fine player who is constantly developing. He made a big jump from last season to this season. If he makes a similar jump next season, he'd be some player.
It’s mostly pundits to be fair. You can’t watch a Chelsea match without it seeming predestined that he’ll be proclaimed the best player on the pitch. Chris Coleman was almost on his hands and knees gagging a couple of weeks ago.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It’s mostly pundits to be fair. You can’t watch a Chelsea match without it seeming predestined that he’ll be proclaimed the best player on the pitch. Chris Coleman was almost on his hands and knees gagging a couple of weeks ago.
Almost every match.

Surely he is the first name Southgate puts on the team sheet!!

He does bring tenacity and energy.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I remember reading a lot of comments from Chelsea fans online last summer about how Mount would struggle to get regular game time with all the new signings. The truth is he's their best midfielder by far.
There's people (not Chelsea fans) in this very thread who said he'd be "bench fodder" once we'd made some signings.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
He's improving alot, still think he would be better playing deeper. Number 8 would be his best position long term.

Classical Mechanic

I don't think he's ever been the attacking fulcrum, he's more of a link player. He usually plays in one of Ziyech, Werner, CHO, Pulisic or Havertz. All of which have been varying degrees of underwhelming for Chelsea this season.

MU655

He is 14th in terms of key passes per game across European Leagues, and 4th in the Premier League.

Grealish - 3.2 (2nd in Europe)
De Bruyne - 3 (4th in Europe)
Fernandes - 2.6 (9th in Europe)
Mount - 2.4 (14th in Europe)

In terms of total key passes for the Premier League he is second. But, the percentage of assists in comparison to chances is way down on the others:

Fernandes - 94 (11 assists) - 12%
Grealish - 76 (10 assists) - 13%
De Bruyne - 73 (11 assists) - 15%
Mount - 82 (5 assists) - 6%

I think the reason why his assists are lower is mainly due to their forwards being pretty underwhelming, shown by the percentages above. Werner is improving (although, his finishing is dodgy), but the others aren't all that impressive. Pulisic (injury prone and doesn't look as good as last season), Havertz (Nothing exciting so far), Ziyech (average), Abraham (average), Giroud (never prolific and getting on a bit).

He could score more, but I think that is more because he doesn't shoot much. I actually don't think he is a bad finisher, but there is room for improvement. Conversion rates from shots.

Fernandes - 115 shots (36 apps) - 18 goals - 15.6%
Grealish - 47 shots (24 apps) - 6 goals - 12.7%
Mount - 74 shots (34 apps) - 6 goals - 8.1%
De Bruyne - 78 shots (24 apps) - 5 goals - 6.4%

I think Mount is a great player. What Chelsea need is better forwards to actually take advantage of him.

Off topic: Grealish would be a great signing.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Think he’d be a better fit for us than Grealish. Seems very involved in everything. We should be declaring an interest at least I think - let him push for the move. If we get him great. If Chelsea hold fast (let’s face it, they don’t need the money) then they end up with an unsettled player that’s resentful to them for blocking his big move.
Big move? Ok then..

Zoo

What a player. Nailed on starter for England at the Euros. Never let’s you down.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
My prediction that he'll be playing for West Ham in a few years time is looking worse and worse by the day :lol:

MU655

I thought last season he would make a good squad player, but this season I think he could pretty much get into the first team of any side.

Most creative player on the pitch. Safe with the ball with 96% pass success, but still managed 3 key passes and an assist. Solid when dealing with the press etc. Top class.

Ekeke

He's a hard worker as well as being someone with a good pass and the ability to score. Its hard not to like someone who matches their natural talent with the amount of effort they put in to win a match

Walters_19_MuFc

Mason Mount 1 Phil Foden 0

Love him. Top player!

The thing is, he wasn't even involved as much as he normally is, but his pass won them the game. Those crucial moments that matter. Happy for him!

mu4c_20le

He's always been decent, got blamed for Lampard's failures for some reason

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
When I defended him in January, I was hit with

Running up and down the pitch doesn't constitute "playing well" though. It's only lower leagues and lesser clubs (and arguably English clubs) that have that mentality. Players like that only survive by the goodwill of their managers. See Lingard for Exhibit A
Same poster also singled him out as the reason Lampard was fired. He's a really good little player, I'm a big fan.