Mason Mount's Misfortune

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
If you googled his goals and assists total in the PL you'd see his output isn't good enough to play AM for a top team. If you ever watched him you would think the same. 99% of fans on here could see he wasn't worth the money and yet we signed him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Whether or not he’s good enough, we’re stuck with him for a while as the club have invested a lot of money in him and given him the no.7 shirt.

The next manager will have the awful task of trying to find a way to get Mason Mount and Bruno Fernandes to work in the same team. (Spoiler: I really don’t think you can. And the tweaking you’d have to do to get there probably isn’t worth it)

Rojofiam

He had more influence when he was injured.
Another Ten Hag masterclass signing.
Absolute nothing player, another van de Beek.
The longer he was inured the better he became.
Oh yes, because judging a player off of one game in a dysfunctional shit side and environment is definitely going to give you a good conclusion on him, not to mention that the player's been injured almost all season.

And whenever he's played well, I bet my life that none of you posted a single comment into this thread. Same with Hojlund and Onana. Just wanting your awful takes to be proven wrong more than the player actually succeeding at the club.

Good players don't become bad overnight. It's so tiring on here these days.

Malone_Post

Oh yes, because judging a player off of one game in a dysfunctional shit side and environment is definitely going to give you a good conclusion on him, not to mention that the player's been injured almost all season.

And whenever he's played well, I bet my life that none of you posted a single comment into this thread. Same with Hojlund and Onana.

I’ve watched Mason Mount play 36 times for England & plenty of times for Chelsea. I didn’t need this season to know he wasn’t a particularly good player and was going to be a god awful signing for £60 million. The injuries have just been the icing on this particular shit sandwich.

izec

And whenever he's played well, I bet my life that none of you posted a single comment into this thread. Same with Hojlund and Onana. Just wanting your awful takes to be proven wrong more than the player actually succeeding at the club.

He is bad now for 2-3 years, not overnight.

He had a purple patch, this is his level.

pascell

I never wanted us to sign him in the first place and I'm not basing that just off his performance tonight, he was terrible for England in the WC and had everyone calling for him to be dropped for Bellingham.

Rojofiam

He is bad now for 2-3 years, not overnight.

He had a purple patch, this is his level.
I’ve watched Mason Mount play 36 times for England & plenty of times for Chelsea. I didn’t need this season to know he wasn’t a particularly good player and was going to be a god awful signing for £60 million. The injuries have just been the icing on this particular shit sandwich.
No, he's a good player that will do well in a good tactical system, good environment, and good teammates around him. Never judge any player on a nightmare season like this. The first sentence is true for a lot of our players as well, by the way. This squad is far from awful.

I never wanted us to sign him in the first place and I'm not basing that just off his performance tonight, he was terrible for England in the WC and had everyone calling for him to be dropped for Bellingham.
International football doesn't mean much either IMO.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Do we get more money from the transfer if he scoops United's player of the season award?

marktan

He's always been a nothing player, unfoturnately he fits right in with Ten Haag because pretty much all his other signings have been useless too.

And no, let's put to bed this idea he'll be good in the right system. Good players like Bruno are good wherever. He's good if you want lots of running and passing to the person next to him. Other than that? Nothing. He's not going to get as many asissts as he did for Chelsea as most of them were from corners. He's not going to get as many goals either as he played in a front 3 back then. So what does that leave? Nothing.

Last edited:

Malone_Post

No, he's a good player that will do well in a good tactical system, good environment, and good teammates around him. Never judge any player on a nightmare season like this. The first sentence is true for a lot of our players as well, by the way. This squad is far from awful.
A good player whose last good season was what, when Chelsea won the CL? 3 years ago? 2 years ago if we’re being kind? Truth is he’s a decent hardworking squad player who had one standout season and has mostly been average before and since. He’ll follow instructions and work hard but his talent is limited. He’s the Chelsea version of Lingard and we dropped £60 mil on him like complete idiots.

edgecutter

All of us saw this coming. He didn't look anything special at Chelsea and we didn't have a place in our team for him. It's mental that we gave Chelsea 60 million.

sammyhol

A good player whose last good season was what, when Chelsea won the CL? 3 years ago? 2 years ago if we’re being kind? Truth is he’s a decent hardworking squad player who had one standout season and has mostly been average before and since. He’ll follow instructions and work hard but his talent is limited. He’s the Chelsea version of Lingard and we dropped £60 mil on him like complete idiots.
Bang on

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
All of us saw this coming. He didn't look anything special at Chelsea and we didn't have a place in our team for him. It's mental that we gave Chelsea 60 million.
Won’t cost 60, 60 includes crazy bonuses like winning the league. It’ll be 55, which is still way too much.

The Hilton

He was brought in to lead the press, that's why Klopp and Arteta were after him too, he'd have been much better off going to one of those teams as they both have a coherent pressing approach with players willing and capable.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Sue the bald liar for the transfer fee.

NK86

Absolutely spot on. He is a grafter but is a bang average player otherwise. He runs around like a headless chicken a lot, but he is never more than a bench player for a team who want to be challenging the best teams.

Rojofiam

He was good in 2021/22 as well, which was Tuchel's only full season at Chelsea after the CL winning one. After that, Chelsea 22/23 and United 23/24 followed, both environments where 99% of footballers cannot show their true worth.

If we become a good team and Mount isn't doing well, I'll gladly admit I was wrong.

Let’s at least be fair, it’s close to impossible to shine in this degree of dog poo, it’s actually absolutely outstanding that Bruno sometimes manages to lift his head above the mountain of shite.

Tibs

fecking shite.

We should try and get a refund, go full Karen mode and speak ask for the manager.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Honestly didn't even realise he was playing. Still don't know what he supposed to be.
That has honestly always been the issue with Mount: mgrs have tried him at RW, AM, deeper as an 8 … he lacks something for each of those.

Rojofiam

He was brought in to lead the press, that's why Klopp and Arteta were after him too, he'd have been much better off going to one of those teams as they both have a coherent pressing approach with players willing and capable.
He would be doing very well for those teams, and the narrative on here would be how we "missed out" on Mount

Same if we had got another keeper instead of Onana, or let Hojlund go to PSG.

People can't understand that the tactical system and overall environment is by far the most important thing for a player.

Do they seriously think the likes of Bellingham, Vinícius, Foden, Haaland, Wirtz, etc. (most of the Ballon d'Or contenders) would look anything more than half-decent players at best in this United side? Such an easy and obvious concept but I guess it's better to moan about nonexistent issues.

Baxquux

Lots of people questioned this decision - particularly when it was to be the no.8 (and on a large fee rather than free as a squad option), and when it was clear we were letting Fred go and needed a dynamic combative no.8 who could also progress play, and ideally fill in as 6 when Casemiro or whoever went forward or needed to be dropped - but were told they weren't sophisticated enough to appreciate what Ten Hag was trying to do... Clear he does have a plan (of sorts) and that it's absolutely nonsensical in this league with anything resembling this set of players, even if he changes the profiles of 1 or 2. Even with that plan in mind, bringing in Mount of all people to play in the centre, in the PL of all places, when our CM gets so little help from other quarters normally, especially if 1st choice B and Shaw are not available, is...crazy.

Rojofiam

@Rojofiam tell him how wrong he is, like you have with everyone else and it's definitely not you who is wrong.
It's definitely not me who's wrong but I'm not wasting my energy for no reason. I'll just quote back your bad takes when Mount comes good for us

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
That has honestly always been the issue with Mount: mgrs have tried him at RW, AM, deeper as an 8 … he lacks something for each of those.
It's so weird. He's obviously good at something, he is a premiership player who has played for England loads...and yet, what is he? What does he do? Why did Chelsea sell him to us too?

I don't know. He certainly wasn't what United needed at the time, nor needs now for that money. It's baffling to me and likely always will be.