Match Compilations

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Not a friendly for a change :) Already 30 years old, making his debut at the World Cup and still fast enough to penetrate Brazil's defence time and again. Overall I'd say that he got a bit unlucky — just like USSR in this particular case, they really could've settled for a draw on a different night. Brazil's goals though :drool:
Nice. Lively. Took up good positions out wide to really stretch Brazil on the break. Could watch footage from Spain ‘82 all day long. I thought Willie Miller had a good game against him in the final group stage tie. Interesting to hear the commentator say Blokhin used to train with Borzov - whose training regimen and performances on the track made him very famous and revered in the West at the time.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Nice. Lively. Took up good positions out wide to really stretch Brazil on the break. Could watch footage from Spain ‘82 all day long. I thought Willie Miller had a good game against him in the final group stage tie. Interesting to hear the commentator say Blokhin used to train with Borzov - whose training regimen and performances on the track made him very famous and revered in the West at the time.
I think I've mentioned it in one of my big posts on Lobanovsky. Dynamo Kiyv had Anatoliy Zelentsov as the head of their science department — who was a student of Valentin Petrovskiy. Petrovskiy, in his turn, was the man behind Borzov's success — it was him who had developed a complicated system of data analysis that allowed Borzov to both improve his running technique and to develop an actual tactics that could adapt to different scenarios (he was said to be the first sprinter who had even thought of employing tactics instead of simply trying to run forward as fast as possible). Petrovskiy also tried to convince young Blokhin (still in his teens) to train under him as a sprinter after he had set a few of youth sprinting records.

Not sure if he had actually trained side by side with Borzov, but there were a lot of overlaps between those two.

harms

Staff
There's only 45 minutes of footage — the entirety of the first time is, sadly, gone forever. But even in that limited time Pelé manages to score 2 goals and provide 2 beautiful assists, as well as showcase his dribbling ability and magical chest control :drool: Racing were no push-overs by the way, finishing 2nd in the league in both 1961 & 1962.

It really was his year to shine and to show the world what a mature but still in perfect physical condition Pelé was all about. Such a shame that he was brutally kicked out of the World Cup!

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
There's only 45 minutes of footage — the entirety of the first time is, sadly, gone forever. But even in that limited time Pelé manages to score 2 goals and provide 2 beautiful assists, as well as showcase his dribbling ability and magical chest control :drool: Racing were no push-overs by the way, finishing 2nd in the league in both 1961 & 1962.

It really was his year to shine and to show the world what a mature but still in perfect physical condition Pelé was all about. Such a shame that he was brutally kicked out of the World Cup!

Great watch

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Blokhin took a lot of criticism after his performance at 82, i don't think many players had came out of that one with much credit in any printed media at the time, other than Demyanenko, Dasayev and maybe Hovhannisyan(who didn't get much game time) and other defenders Chivadze/Baltacha/Sulakvelidze. It's an interesting one from a coaching perspective, as basically it was the managers of the three best teams in the country as a super-coaching team, and Beskov/lobanovsky both dictatorial with very different views of the game. A modern equivalent would be llike Pep and Mourinho trying to run a team together.

It worked well when initially implemented in autumn '81, but eventually resulted in a disappointing WC performance compared to the mostly excellent games in the previous 2 years. Also one of those things that has it's conspiracies/fan myths around it, like only supposed to have been a training camp thing or for a few games (with beskov still as main coach) until the football authorities forced Beskov to accept a triumvirate due to the good results, or that Beskov was entirely deposed behind the scenes after the Brazil game and Lobanovsky really the one in charge by the end, players had eventually formed club based cliques and discounting tactics from the others, Blokhin had become an ego fuelled primadonna no longer interested in working for the team etc...

Of course, these things can get exaggerated by fans and journalists over the years. It's entirely possible the team simply peaked too early, or the extra pressure of the WC somewhat inhibited play were just as big a factor as the managing trio being a failed experiment. It's not like the football played was really any worse than West Germany offered in getting to the final, nor hit the lows that would usually have seen a team eliminated that was first group stage Italy. Things just didn't quite click, and the tournament probably came a year too late for Blokhin, who was having to adapt his style by then.

harms

Staff
Insightful as usual. I don’t think that our performance was that bad in general and in the end we’ve only missed semi-final on a goal difference… but yeah, the managerial mess certainly didn’t help and the team was caught between two great generations. It was a bit too late for Blokhin and too early for the younger ones that would peak in mid-to-late 80’s.

We should’ve had at least one great World Cup in either 74’ (didn’t fly to Chile for political reasons) or 78’ (a loss to Greece lost us our place in the final stage). A shame:(

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Insightful as usual. I don’t think that our performance was that bad in general and in the end we’ve only missed semi-final on a goal difference… but yeah, the managerial mess certainly didn’t help and the team was caught between two great generations. It was a bit too late for Blokhin and too early for the younger ones that would peak in mid-to-late 80’s.

We should’ve had at least one great World Cup in either 74’ (didn’t fly to Chile for political reasons) or 78’ (a loss to Greece lost us our place in the final stage). A shame:(
Before WC82, USSR was arguably 6th best teams to had a chance of winning world cup (only behind the household names like Brazil,West Germany,Argentina,Italy and Spain). In a group stage, your team went against one of the best Brazilian’s team ever and a solid Scotland team. Overall, I think USSR performed great at group stage. USSR would won against Brazil, If the referee wasn’t too biased. USSR gave a great fight against Brazil( even best).

In the second round, they underperformed in the match against Poland. It was a serious match due to political reason. I think you should have won against Poland, since your team was considered as a superior team( including me) and then if USSR won and faced Italy, they would make a better fight against Italy compare to Poland. I still think USSR team should be 3rd or 4th places in that WC ( Tbh, I don’t think they would beat Italia).

Last edited:

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Yeah the 78 team was unfortunate, controlled the games to a level that would usually have seen a comfortable qualifying, but a moment of really bad keeping by Astapovsky and two lapses defending set-pieces and that was it. The Greece 1-0 away loss that proved decisive had a seemingly good goal from Konkov disallowed too. That said, Simonyan seemed to be very out of his depth under the scrutiny of national team manager, completely lost it after those qualifiers leading to the disaster Euro 80 one, so i doubt he'd have coped well tactically at the World Cup. It would need to have been a players triumph to have a good run.

On a potential game against Italy, the Italians never actually won a competitive game on the park(shoutout to 68 coin-toss here) in seven attempts. It must be one of their worst records against any team. However, i wouldn't have bet against them at that WC, at least not after the group stage.

harms

Staff
O Fênomeno had just turned 19 there and already he had to face a very tough Feyenoord side with ageing, but still brilliant Koeman leading its defense (as well as having van Gobbel, surprisingly fast Campbell-esque mountain of muscles, as his designated man-marker). It's a nice-looking side — with young Gio & Larsson and van Hanegem organizing the play from the inside of a cigarette smoke cloud above the bench.

He had scored a goal (and another one although it was correctly ruled out for offside), made an assist and played the crucial pass in the build-up for the third one. And he wasn't even trying all that much!

GodShaveTheQueen

O Fênomeno had just turned 19 there and already he had to face a very tough Feyenoord side with ageing, but still brilliant Koeman leading its defense (as well as having van Gobbel, surprisingly fast Campbell-esque mountain of muscles, as his designated man-marker). It's a nice-looking side — with young Gio & Larsson and van Hanegem organizing the play from the inside of a cigarette smoke cloud above the bench.

He had scored a goal (and another one although it was correctly ruled out for offside), made an assist and played the crucial pass in the build-up for the third one. And he wasn't even trying all that much!

I will watch this tomorrow once on laptop but got to ask, what motivated you to pick this game.

harms

Staff
Ronaldo vs Koeman?:lol:
My body is ready.
I'd thought that this would be a proper massacre but Koeman did very well individually — they were playing in a high line as well! Plus van Gobbel covered all of Ronaldo's runs — I didn't expect him to be so quick considering his size:

harms

Staff
I will watch this tomorrow once on laptop but got to ask, what motivated you to pick this game.
Just got a few of those sent to me (although I don't think that they are rare or anything). I do enjoy Eredivisie of mid 80's-mid 90's, it's almost always a great watch since there were so many great teams filled with incredible talents (only in this game there's Ronaldo, Larsson, Koeman, Cocu, van Bronkhorst, Nilis, Jonk)!

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Just got a few of those sent to me (although I don't think that they are rare or anything). I do enjoy Eredivisie of mid 80's-mid 90's, it's almost always a great watch since there were so many great teams filled with incredible talents (only in this game there's Ronaldo, Larsson, Koeman, Cocu, van Bronkhorst, Nilis, Jonk)!
We have a lot of same taste and this one I have the same as you too.:lol:

I also like some top teams of 70s like Ajax and Feyenoord, they played entertain and attacking football but in a very effective way. Unfortunately, both team matches in Eredivisie of 70s couldn’t find easily.

harms

Staff

@Joga Bonito @Synco

Müller scores 4 goals in his second ever international game. His movement is ridiculous. The same Albania stopped Germany from reaching the final stage of the tournament in the return leg by the way, managing to hold onto a 0:0 draw. The manager decided to bench Müller for that game for whatever bizarre reason. There's a funny story about Müller & Albania which includes a 40-years old Müller trying to get a one-game contract with some random Finnish club only to get to Albania one more time:
https://beyondthelastman.com/2017/05/30/goodbye-my-love-gerd-mullers-impossible-albanian-sweetheart/

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

@Joga Bonito @Synco

Müller scores 4 goals in his second ever international game. His movement is ridiculous. The same Albania stopped Germany from reaching the final stage of the tournament in the return leg by the way, managing to hold onto a 0:0 draw. The manager decided to bench Müller for that game for whatever bizarre reason. There's a funny story about Müller & Albania which includes a 40-years old Müller trying to get a one-game contract with some random Finnish club only to get to Albania one more time:
https://beyondthelastman.com/2017/05/30/goodbye-my-love-gerd-mullers-impossible-albanian-sweetheart/
:drool:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

first time seeing Gazza having an absolute stinker, not sure how to deal with that :o :(
Shocking display from england, just an awful side under Taylor. Carlton Palmer wouldnt look out of place in a current United midfield....

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

first time seeing Gazza having an absolute stinker, not sure how to deal with that :o :(
Shocking display from england, just an awful side under Taylor. Carlton Palmer wouldnt look out of place in a current United midfield....
:lol: :lol: Had to watch it after that wonderful selling job. I can confirm that he wasn't great. Palmer was such a dislikable player. Just a gangly, niggly, talentless turd really.

Šjor Bepo

dont think i ever seen someone giving so much ass whooping on a football pitch :lol:

Šjor Bepo

There were better english players then him but IMO nobody was more spectacular, watched the vid multiple times in the process of creation and was never bored. Just an amazing footballer, one of those you are gladly paying the ticket for.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
9 minutes of Beckenbauer doing everything — from simple to unimaginable — except for the obvious, which would be to use his left foot.

GodShaveTheQueen

9 minutes of Beckenbauer doing everything — from simple to unimaginable — except for the obvious, which would be to use his left foot.

Can as well make an 'outside of the foot' compilation for him