Match Compilations

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
https://sendvid.com/dl5grplj

Felix Magath for Hamburg vs Juventus 1983 European Cup final.
Cracking goal and full of tenacity. A sweet left peg without necessarily being flashy or superfluous. Reminds me of Van Hanegem with regards to his playing style, if you removed flair and technical genius from the equation - his stature, being slow off the mark but hard to stop once he got going, his combative nature but mainly the languidness in possession.

Pat_Mustard

Cracking goal and full of tenacity. A sweet left peg without necessarily being flashy or superfluous. Reminds me of Van Hanegem with regards to his playing style, if you removed flair and technical genius from the equation - his stature, being slow off the mark but hard to stop once he got going, his combative nature but mainly the languidness in possession.
Cheers Joga. I like that van Hanegem comparison and see the similarities there.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
brilliant vid snowden, always liked Magath when i saw him for the national team though it was always in a support role. Lovely player.

PS: feck off for highlighting how shit my "player highlight" is :lol: yours looks brilliant while my looks like something a 12 year old with learning disabilities would do, which is pretty accurate tbf

Pat_Mustard

brilliant vid snowden, always liked Magath when i saw him for the national team though it was always in a support role. Lovely player.

PS: feck off for highlighting how shit my "player highlight" is :lol: yours looks brilliant while my looks like something a 12 year old with learning disabilities would do, which is pretty accurate tbf
:lol: :lol: I was wondering if you'd notice my new highlighting tekkers. I hated it initially, but PowerDirector is the future!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's not that often that footballers get specific games, let alone finals, to be named after them but the 1953 FA Cup final is the exception — more than often you'd see it being referred to as "the Matthews final". He wasn't the only brilliant performer on the pitch — Stan Mortensen got a hat-trick, for example, but the combination of his outstanding performance, the sheer weight of expectations (it was his 3rd final and the entire country aside from people of Bolton were desperate for him to finally win it) and the dramatic nature of the game secured that nickname in public's consciousness.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's not that often that footballers get specific games, let alone finals, to be named after them but the 1953 FA Cup final is the exception — more than often you'd see it being referred to as "the Matthews final". He wasn't the only brilliant performer on the pitch — Stan Mortensen got a hat-trick, for example, but the combination of his outstanding performance, the sheer weight of expectations (it was his 3rd final and the entire country aside from people of Bolton were desperate for him to finally win it) and the dramatic nature of the game secured that nickname in public's consciousness.

Class. Interesting to see how smoothly he drops into the middle and inside-left channels to slide away from defenders in those areas. The commentary is great as well.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Here's another compilation of Magath against Bordeaux. Poor quality footage though.

I've been working my way through this channel over the last 2-3 weeks. The editing and visual quality isn't always the best (and they seem to sometimes leave out goals for some obscure reason) but it's got a very nice selection of great and more relatively obscure talented players from around europe. I've especially enjoyed the Waddle, Zola and Haßler comps. Waddle was a beast of a player in those big european games for Marseille, i'd watched most of the games before a long time ago, but completely forgot how good he was. Then in the one England comp from the same time period, he's suddenly looking a shell of that player:lol: It seems most of the big creative names from that era like Hoddle, Barnes and Waddle don't have the best reputations for their international performances.

harms

Staff
(and they seem to sometimes leave out goals for some obscure reason)
I can pretty much assure you that this reason is copyright. They get a strike from a copyright holder (it's always the goals) and simply cut that part out of a video.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
I find it tough to fall in love with Matthews. I mean I acknowledge he is a great player as it's beyond doubt evidently, but he just doesn't make me even close to as excited as Finney. Maybe because he is more orthodox.

GodShaveTheQueen

I can't be the only one who found the players' shorts in that Matthews final way too long. Surely hinders their speed.

harms

Staff
I can't be the only one who found the players' shorts in that Matthews final way too long. Surely hinders their speed.
The commentators did say something about Matthews shorts being way too big for him, not sure which game it was, so even then it was sometimes questioned.

I find it tough to fall in love with Matthews. I mean I acknowledge he is a great player as it's beyond doubt evidently, but he just doesn't make me even close to as excited as Finney. Maybe because he is more orthodox.
Yeah, he’s a weird player. Even though he sometimes cuts inside and tries to shoot/pass with his left foot, you see how unnatural it is for him — and when he’s on the right, he literally has one move. Beat the fullback and cross (not blindly, mind you), rinse & repeat. It’s just that he did that particular sequence better than probably any other player in history.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Yeah, he’s a weird player. Even though he sometimes cuts inside and tries to shoot/pass with his left foot, you see how unnatural it is for him — and when he’s on the right, he literally has one move. Beat the fullback and cross (not blindly, mind you), rinse & repeat. It’s just that he did that particular sequence better than probably any other player in history.
Antonio Valencia's hero.

Šjor Bepo

Tried something different while doing the regular stuff as well, just thought this short sequence summed him up perfectly as a player so thought why not.....editing and graphics are still shocking but feck it, when you do stuff in fecking paint you cant expect much better :lol:

GodShaveTheQueen

Even though he sometimes cuts inside and tries to shoot/pass with his left foot, you see how unnatural it is for him
Yea.

I do wonder if he would have been rated this high if it wasn't for his longevity. If he had retired in his mid 30's like everyone else did, I don't think his legacy would be that great. As good as he was, a one trick pony being treated in the top tier back then and the dream testimonial he had which is genuinely unmatched in any era would be a bit difficult to digest if he retired at a normal age.

harms

Staff
Yea.

I do wonder if he would have been rated this high if it wasn't for his longevity. If he had retired in his mid 30's like everyone else did, I don't think his legacy would be that great. As good as he was, a one trick pony being treated in the top tier back then and the dream testimonial he had which is genuinely unmatched in any era would be a bit difficult to digest if he retired at a normal age.
It would be a bit unfair, considering that he had lost his peak years due to World War II. Plus he was a different player back then — much more of a goalscorer, scoring 8 out of his 11 goals for England before the age of 24 and having 3 consecutive 10+ goal seasons on a club level (something he'd never replicate after).

Plus he really was the man for a big occasion, shining far brighter for England than Finney (even though I love Finney more than Matthews for the same reasons you do). I've been collecting every snippet of footage of him available over the past few weeks and it's really always "Matthews, Matthews, Matthews..." regardless of who else is on the pitch — Finney, Haynes, Edwards, Mortensen, Taylor... His productivity is insane. Just look at the amount of registered assists in back to back games near his physical peak (still in the early 30's) — and those don't count any non-direct contributions of which he had plenty.

Or here — he was key in every game.

Overall his relatively limited skillset does stop him from being a proper GOAT contender at the time in my eyes (competing with the likes of Meazza, Puskás & Di Stéfano, not with Pelé/Maradona/Messi), but he quite comfortably sits in the tier just below them, being an unquestionable positional GOAT before the arrival of Garrincha & Best. And if we compare the good press that he had got because of his longevity and reputation to the loss of his best years due to war (and the lack of TV coverage of what was most likely the most productive part of his career), I'd say that he has a case for being unlucky even with the honorary Ballon d'Or of 1956.

GodShaveTheQueen

It would be a bit unfair, considering that he had lost his peak years due to World War II. Plus he was a different player back then — much more of a goalscorer, scoring 8 out of his 11 goals for England before the age of 24 and having 3 consecutive 10+ goal seasons on a club level (something he'd never replicate after).

Plus he really was the man for a big occasion, shining far brighter for England than Finney (even though I love Finney more than Matthews for the same reasons you do). I've been collecting every snippet of footage of him available over the past few weeks and it's really always "Matthews, Matthews, Matthews..." regardless of who else is on the pitch — Finney, Haynes, Edwards, Mortensen, Taylor... His productivity is insane. Just look at the amount of registered assists in back to back games near his physical peak (still in the early 30's) — and those don't count any non-direct contributions of which he had plenty.

Or here — he was key in every game.

Overall his relatively limited skillset does stop him from being a proper GOAT contender at the time in my eyes (competing with the likes of Meazza, Puskás & Di Stéfano, not with Pelé/Maradona/Messi), but he quite comfortably sits in the tier just below them, being an unquestionable positional GOAT before the arrival of Garrincha & Best. And if we compare the good press that he had got because of his longevity and reputation to the loss of his best years due to war (and the lack of TV coverage of what was most likely the most productive part of his career), I'd say that he has a case for being unlucky even with the honorary Ballon d'Or of 1956.
Great counter. As usual, I stand corrected.

harms

Staff
How to stop Stanley Matthews? Tactical inside. Force him inside to use left foot... oh, and don't forget to add mud. Lots and lots of mud.

From 3:11

Pat_Mustard

Rush scores the only goal of the match against star-studded world champions Germany in a 1992 Euros qualifier. Other than the goal he rarely touched the ball in the final third, much less the penalty area, but he ran himself into the ground for the team.

Konkov was supposed to be my next one, but I aborted mission on two different matches due to my Stevie Wonder--esque inability to confidently track him off the ball :rolleyes:

Šjor Bepo

I know most if not all will skip this one, modern player and not overly attractive to watch but if there was a textbook for football, this performance would be under the midfield passage.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

a bit hit and miss(was 17 at the time) but interesting watch considering its the total opposite of what he played at his peak. @oneniltothearsenal might like it cause its still God.
Otherwise, Marco Van Basten is pure class. Actually unreal how good the guy is and its a absolute farce more often then not he is just seen as a n9.
Great compilation. I remember seeing a match or two where he was on the right wing. He had great pace and it was a fun watch!

Šjor Bepo

What a fecking player :drool:
Whenever i watched Ajax or Holland or Milan he was always the most impressing player of the famous trio, always looked class. Naturally in drafts situation is completely opposite:lol:
He has a reputation of a n9 but he was closer to Fenomeno then he was to lets say Batistuta in terms of playing style. While he had all the qualities n9 needed, he was also very creative and fantastic on the ball, both how he used it and what he could do with it. With no Prem today might squeeze another game of the GOAT.

Pat_Mustard

What a fecking player :drool:
Whenever i watched Ajax or Holland or Milan he was always the most impressing player of the famous trio, always looked class. Naturally in drafts situation is completely opposite:lol:
He has a reputation of a n9 but he was closer to Fenomeno then he was to lets say Batistuta in terms of playing style. While he had all the qualities n9 needed, he was also very creative and fantastic on the ball, both how he used it and what he could do with it. With no Prem today might squeeze another game of the GOAT.
Absolute class act, even on that atrocity of a pitch. And :lol: at that offside call towards the end.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Rush scores the only goal of the match against star-studded world champions Germany in a 1992 Euros qualifier. Other than the goal he rarely touched the ball in the final third, much less the penalty area, but he ran himself into the ground for the team.
Textbook performance for a striker for a team under the cosh. Impressive pressing and good link up especially with hopeful stuff slung up to him in the air.

Ruthless qualification system then for the Euros with Wales having to win the group with the world champions and Belgium. They went very close.

harms

Staff
Already League champions, Liverpool were given a football lesson by Netzer and company, conceded two first-half goals but somehow held on to win 3-2 on aggregate.

The Germans brought in Surau for Michallich and looked to their captain, Gunter Netzer, to provide the inspiration for a fight-back. Netzer didn't fail them, spraying passes here, there and everywhere with tremendous accuracy. More than once he split the usually composed Liverpool defence with unerring precision.

Sadly, the first half highlights are mostly missing (Heynckes scored 2 goals, the second one is brilliant), but you can still see the quality of Netzer's passing.

Pat_Mustard

Textbook performance for a striker for a team under the cosh. Impressive pressing and good link up especially with hopeful stuff slung up to him in the air.

Ruthless qualification system then for the Euros with Wales having to win the group with the world champions and Belgium. They went very close.
Cheers Gio. I've had to reluctantly add him to my 'Liverpool players I actually like' list. Wonderful attitude on the pitch, and seems a nice, humble fella off the pitch.

Šjor Bepo

Mustard if you thought last game was a bad pitch, watch this :lol: + another "brilliant" decision from the ref, beyond me how the game was played before VAR(shame same incompetent people are in charge of that as well).
Struggled at first but once he adopted to pond he did well, assisted for one of the goals from pretty much nothing.

Šjor Bepo

Classy as ever, did a nice tribute to Stanley Matthews for the last goal.

Pat_Mustard

I've discovered that the best way to evade the UEFA copyright Gestapo is to make a video where your player does absolutely nothing of significance on the ball at all :drool:.

A shite, stodgy match in general, illuminated with some moments of class from Platini and Boniek. Rossi was pretty good too. Liverpool were dreadful on the ball, zero creativity and loads of silly errors, and weren't great against the ball either. Rush was hit-and-miss on the ball too, but worked immensely hard off it, in the first half especially. It's always quite funny seeing a draft superman being made to look human, and it was the mighty Scirea's turn today as Rush forced him into a few mistakes. All in all though, I'd warn any potential viewers that this won't be a particularly exciting 10 minutes.

harms

Staff

His ability to somehow create an opportunity for himself to take a shot in most unlikeliest of situations really was second to none. All 3 of his goals were pretty straight-forward but some of his acrobatic attempts throughout the game, including a scorpion kick, were simply magical :drool:

harms

Staff

Classy as ever, did a nice tribute to Stanley Matthews for the last goal.
You can really spot the difference in mobility between this version and the one from 1992. He got extremely clinical (perhaps even more so than earlier) but barely had any of those incisive dribbling runs with the ball.