Match Day Update: Lineup Prediction League Table now available, and more

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Vote

Well tbh, its not just that, the lineups have been out for each game well in advance too for those who left it late enough.
There were one or two clues on a few players but never saw any line-ups although when I did the prediction it wasn't close to the game time, but even if it was the case who's stopping those that "were in the know" to use that information

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
There were one or two clues on a few players but never saw any line-ups although when I did the prediction it wasn't close to the game time, but even if it was the case who's stopping those that "were in the know" to use that information
Sure look, the lineups game has never used preseason*, I should know. Typical really, fixing what wasn't broken.

* @EdWeatherall would disagree

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ah you're 3rd...

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
@Niall I'm in the vote camp.

I didn't get involved with them because I thought it was being used as a perfect opportunity to trial it before the season starts.

If it has started already, I'm 3 games behind and in a purely OCD kind of way that kills any motivation for me to join in.

It would make much more sense if it was just relevant for competitive games. As big-red has said, unlike competitive games, people have known about players starting while other inclusions have been lottery based.

At least with competitive games you can use a skilled thought process of:

Who is fit?
Who will be used tactically?
Who will be rested for the following game?
Who will be dropped for form reasons?
Ect ect.

Paul the Wolf

Ah you're 3rd...
:lol: I'm gonna do my own lineups game again and declare myself winner.
If I was last, do you think I wouldn't be with you:D

In all seriousness, it's even more difficult with the pre-season games, at least with the competitive you know roughly what the teams going to be , without all the squad and young players:angel:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
If I was last, do you think I wouldn't be with you:D

In all seriousness, it's even more difficult with the pre-season games, at least with the competitive you know roughly what the teams going to be , without all the squad and young players:angel:
Hence the pointlessness. It's a lottery. At least with competitive games it gives it a big element of skill.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Ok I'm being swayed by the reset crowd, especially as this is an automated version of @Big-Red 's game after all.

So I'll probably reset the league table when the season starts and make an announcement about it.

It's the fairest solution.

Paul the Wolf

Ok I'm being swayed by the reset crowd, especially as this is an automated version of @Big-Red 's game after all.

So I'll probably reset the league table when the season starts and make an announcement about it.

It's the fairest solution.
Question is - will you have to reset it again in a couple of months when the "resetters" are losing again?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Question is - will you have to reset it again in a couple of months when the "resetters" are losing again?
You could split the season up into two halves? So you have a table for the first 19 games, then the 2nd 19 games and then an overall table?

Or you do it by averages. So say, you need to have at least made 6 game predictions to qualify for the average table. Points are then divided by the amount of games that user has played. I.E. If you have 64 points and played 6 games, that's an average of 10.67.

Paul the Wolf

You could split the season up into two halves? So you have a table for the first 19 games, then the 2nd 19 games and then an overall table?

Or you do it by averages. So say, you need to have at least made 6 game predictions to qualify for the average table. Points are then divided by the amount of games that user has played. I.E. If you have 64 points and played 6 games, that's an average of 10.67.
I think it should on all the games

On the average system, someone could get an all correct selection on the first game, never play again and then win. Should be on every game, if people are not able or not bothered to predict every single game then that's their fault/hard luck - it's like a player being injured or suspended who can't play every game.

It's going to be over around 50 games so not everyone will be always available to make their selection, and we've only had 3 games so far so plenty of time to catch up and plenty of time for those at the front to fall by the wayside

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Oh give over :lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

On the average system, someone could get an all correct selection on the first game, never play again and then win. Should be on every game, if people are not able or not bothered to predict every single game then that's their fault/hard luck - it's like a player being injured or suspended who can't play every game.

It's going to be over around 50 games so not everyone will be always available to make their selection, and we've only had 3 games so far so plenty of time to catch up and plenty of time for those at the front to fall by the wayside
You missed this bit:

you need to have at least made 6 game predictions to qualify for the average table

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
What? Just have it as one table for competitive games like it has been for the last 4(?) years.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yep, sorry, but it should be on the long haul
I'm saying you'd have two tables. So the normal conventional table, then an average table. So although you might not play every week, you still have a good chance of making it on the Average Table if you're good at it. I'll miss several weeks no doubt as I'll either:
  1. Forget
  2. Be busy (especially around holidays)

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports

The winner will be. Thats a fact.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Not necessarily, like saying the league's top scorer only won it because they played every game
Lets say you miss 4/5 games in the Season. Average lineup prediction is probably about 8 points? So you're already 32/40 points behind the guy that does it every game. That's a very big gap to make up.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
Not necessarily, like saying the league's top scorer only won it because they played every game
The winner of the previous years hasn't missed a game from memory. Would need to check, but I'm confident enough on that.

Paul the Wolf

Lets say you miss 4/5 games in the Season. Average lineup prediction is probably about 8 points? So you're already 32/40 points behind the guy that does it every game. That's a very big gap to make up.
The winner of the previous years hasn't missed a game from memory. Would need to check, but I'm confident enough on that.
This is my first time so I don't know from before

Alternative, say there are 50 games, take the best 40 predictions of each person over the season, that way if someone missed 10 games they could still win it but it has to be over a high number of games

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
This is my first time so I don't know from before

Alternative, say there are 50 games, take the best 40 predictions of each person over the season, that way if someone missed 10 games they could still win it but it has to be over a high number of games
Nah, just do the competitive games. Most points wins. Simple.

Trust me, I'm fairly well acquainted with the game ;)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

NO.

Just keep it the way it is with only competitive games counting. Ain't rocket science. Average is a rubbish way to do it as it benefits those who make less predictions.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
NO.

Just keep it the way it is with only competitive games counting. Ain't rocket science. Average is a rubbish way to do it as it benefits those who make less predictions.
Then basically, all the bastards who will do it every game will be top. So what's the point in playing if you don't have time to do it each time! Just have a minimum of 10 games before they're able to post their score on the average table. The people who are good at the game will most likely be the experienced players anyway.

You're just afraid that someone like me would trash you on the average table Damien. /nods.

It really needs to be only competitive games
Pre-season is perfect for testing it

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Err, can't we edit the line up once submitted? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to edit the line up like before 4 hours before the match? Also, it allows me to pick only 3 subs for a pre season games?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Err, can't we edit the line up once submitted? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to edit the line up like before 4 hours before the match? Also, it allows me to pick only 3 subs for a pre season games?
I'll be adding the ability to edit.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Just nipping it to commend whoever did this on a job well done, it's top notch.

RonaldoVII

How come most people understood, just a bit of sour grapes, if others managed to predict well enough why can't everyone else who didn't bother
Those of us who have been predicting in the lineups game for years are used to it starting after the pre-season friendlies. It's hard to make up the difference if you miss a game during the season against those who don't miss any.