Matic to leave the club at the end of the season

Acole9

Outstanding
Apparently both parties have an option to forgo the last year, and he has decided to stop now.
Thanks for that. Makes sense, he's been a good pro for us and I'm sure many fans will wish him well.

AndyMUFC

The first of hopefully many. I mean he has shown glimpses of what we want from a defensive midfielder in the summer but he’s put in plenty of poor performances himself as well and clearly doesn’t have the legs to be reliable week in week out.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Expected. But we are going lose Pogba and Matic this summer, will need to get 2 new midfielder to replace them.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Current Matic is probably still the best DM in the club. But of course while his mind and skills are up to standards, his body is not able to carry on. Similar situation with Ronaldo really. Best of luck to him. One of my fave players due to the amount of respect he has shown to the club. On a more positive note, surely we will buy a new DM now?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Great player who gave his all for the club.

Wishing him the best in his next adventure
Certainly agree with you on that. A player with a few limitations. But always struck me as very honest and reliable performer.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Right decision for both parties. Age has caught up to him, and he is no longer up to the required standard on the pitch anymore at this level. I wish him all the best, and hope he goes on and enjoys his last few years playing. Hopefully we can replace him with a young quality up and coming midfielder.

Dr Foo

Watch him play every single minute of the remaining fixtures. Because logic.

I've always liked Matic and the potential we had with the Pogba - Matic - Herrera trio was on paper rock solid. Sadly never really became a thing.
I remember we had that great first 10 or so games with that trio in midfield in Ole's first stint, until they were overplayed and Herrera/Matic got injured, and Herrera subsequently left.

Matic is the only one in our midfield in the past few years who had an ounce of what a midfielder should be doing to control games. We glaringly need a younger prime version of him now, and there a host of names that should be departing ahead of him, in our reconstruction. Best wishes

Eli Zee

Crazy bastard will be missed.
Hahahhaa that was so purposeful.

matic was awesome. Really enjoyed the way he played - just sucks we got him when he was nearing the end of his career when he was slower

Maticmaker

Will have to change my name now...!

Thanks for the memories Nemanja, especially that first season, would have liked to have seen a season alongside James Garner... but all the best mate!

roseguy64

Phil Jones, Lingard, Mata.

Pogba to a lesser degree as he is good enough but he just can’t be arsed.
Jones was injured. He'd have to be an idiot to leave and no one was going to be buying him in January having only come back from a 2 year injury like a month prior. Mata was gonna leave but was persuaded to stay last summer probably with the promise he was gonna see game time which didn't materialise. Lingard tried to leave in January.

laughtersassassin

He did ok at times but was a bad signing overall.

Aged terribly and you could see before we signed him it wouldn't be long till he wouldn't be able to play every game.

Gets given too much credit to be honest. We need to learn to get rid of players much sooner

r1z3mu

Good luck to him. Nothing bad to say. Very good DM (at least used to be). I wish he was 3-4 years younger.

Jezpeza

Putting some periods of questionable form/quality aside was a good player with a good attitude which isnt the norm for us. I like that he has identified if we are to start anew here he probably wont play much and him staying another season isnt going to help our rebuild. Can see him doing okay in a slower league abroad for a few more years.

Shaping up as quite the clear out and should give the new manager a good platform to rebuild if the squad is trimmed down without relying on sales

justsomebloke

Total respect to Matic for what he has given this club - and for being something as rare in this club as someone who's able to figure when's enough, and act on it.

Hammondo

Current Matic is probably still the best DM in the club. But of course while his mind and skills are up to standards, his body is not able to carry on. Similar situation with Ronaldo really. Best of luck to him. One of my fave players due to the amount of respect he has shown to the club. On a more positive note, surely we will buy a new DM now?
He's the only DM.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Was he really good for us though? It seems like every time he played well next game he would be "tired and old", and then he would end up benched, rinse and repeat. And that's literally last 4-5 years from him. I seriously don't see how he was anything better than he was for Chelsea in his last season or two, semi retired midfielder if I ever saw one.

I like him as a player and as a person though, probably one of our most likeable players.

I remember we had that great first 10 or so games with that trio in midfield in Ole's first stint, until they were overplayed and Herrera/Matic got injured, and Herrera subsequently left.

Matic is the only one in our midfield in the past few years who had an ounce of what a midfielder should be doing to control games. We glaringly need a younger prime version of him now, and there a host of names that should be departing ahead of him, in our reconstruction. Best wishes
I've always found him very composed, he had a very good drive with the ball and always wanted the ball forward.

He had periods where he seemed to struggle with his fitness but overall always looked very professional in very dysfunctional teams.

Luke1995

That’s a good shout actually, mls is a good league for players who’ve got a few years left and ready to retire.
He seems a very self-aware guy, so i'd be surprised if he stayed in England or went to Spain. Leagues where the pace is very high.

Italy/MLS/France/Portugal. Can't go wrong with this.

Luke1995

By the way, when was Matic best ever performance for us ? In terms of his all-around game.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
By the way, when was Matic best ever performance for us ? In terms of his all-around game.
I'm not sure about which individual game, but it would have been in his first few months after joining. He was genuinely excellent at first, then declined to just good, then in the second half of the season he dropped down to average and finally truly poor. I'll always remember that because I've never seen a player's form drop so perfectly consistently over the course of an entire season.

DevilRed

Good servant for the club but he is leaving about 2 years too late.

Far too slow for the prem, but watch him dominate italy with Inter and bukaku.

Irwin99

A game against Chelsea was a very good one for him in Jose's second season. I think he won MoTM and Jose was beaming about him post match. I've never been a huge fan of his time here but he's had odd moments.

Denis79

What a professional, no moaning, no drama. Relinquishes a year of wages because he knows it's time to move on. We need players like him, proper professionals.

Luke1995

I'm not sure about which individual game, but it would have been in his first few months after joining. He was genuinely excellent at first, then declined to just good, then in the second half of the season he dropped down to average and finally truly poor. I'll always remember that because I've never seen a player's form drop so perfectly consistently over the course of an entire season.
Yeah he was fantastic in the first few months. But the team also declined after that. Maybe with a better squad his form wouldn't have dropped that much...

Or maybe i'm just trying to find some explanation to what was a very sudden and strange decline. Good memories still...

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yeah he was fantastic in the first few months. But the team also declined after that. Maybe with a better squad his form wouldn't have dropped that much...

Or maybe i'm just trying to find some explanation to what was a very sudden and strange decline. Good memories still...
At the time it felt like it was probably because he was being overplayed. He basically never got a rest, with Mourinho playing him for every minute in every match even as his form kept dropping.

Salil

To judge a player in a dysfunctional team is harsh. He played for us in a time when no one else stood out. Whether he would have done better in a better United is debatable, but what isn’t debatable is his professionalism and attitude. Some of our younger players could do with some lessons from him

Reactions: Carolina Red

Devil may care

The right professional choice from Matic as he's only got a good 60 minutes here and there in his legs now.